Originally Posted by Aetherhole
I had some issues getting beta the firmware loaded onto my player last night. I tried with my SanDisk Cruzer Titanium USB drive and when I stuck the flash drive in, it would show the USB icon on screen and then just freeze my player and the only thing I could do is turn it off. Any other buttons did not respond. I tried probably 5-6 times without any luck. Then I went and burned it to a CD, everything went fine, verified the CD after the burn and put the disc in the only have it say that the firmware was corrupt. The Boot Loader and the MC updated fine after that, but the main firmware still remained the 0430 version. I gave up last night, since it was about 3:30AM and I tried again this morning.
I burned another disc, this time a DVD-R, and verified once again... and this time it worked.
I am sure I am an isolated incident, but dang was that frustrating!
I haven't been able to check out the new firmware yet, but I will later today.
Well, well, well...
I was just about to post my experience with the u/g and figured I'd scan the thread first.
My u/g also had problems. I downloaded and extracted to usb stick (used many times and verified) with no problems. I plugged the usb into the -83, powered up and the f/w was detected and the installation part went flawlessly. The -83 powered off and I removed the usb stick and powered back on.
This is where things went really bad...
While the -83 powered on fine, I was unable to use any function other then "open". Pressing setup did nothing; pressing power did nothing. I had to power down with the front panel button. Interestingly enough, I was able to re-power using the remote. Yet, the problems persisted. Nothing other than "open" was recognized by the -83.
I popped in an SACD and closed the tray. It played. I tried "stop" - nothing. "ff" - nothing. "pause" - nothing... In short, nothing worked except "open". I repeated this with both a BD and a DVD, with the exact same results.
I pulled the power cord, watied a moment or two and plugged it back in.
OK, time to go back to the last release of f/w.
I downloaded and extracted to the usb stick and performed the down-grade. Glad I read the release notes, as you need to perform this f/w load twice. I followed that procedure and everything worked fine (both times).
Power up - everything worked perfectly. I reset to factory defaults, powered down/up and tried the same assortment of SACD/BD/DVD - perfect.
OK - back to where we were.
(definition of insanity... repeating the same thing over and over, expecting different results)
I copied the beta f/w back onto the usb stick. Plugged the stick into -83. Power on!!!
The process completed flawlessly and the -83 powered down. I removed the usb stick and powered on.....
I reset factory defaults, powered down and after power up, I put my custom settings back and tested all functions with the same SACD/BD/DVD - perfect.
I have no idea what went wrong the first time. I was concerned that I bricked my player. I honestly do not think that I did anything wrong with the process steps and I used the exact same files that were originally downloaded.
Oh well... much better now.
On a postive note:
"The Look of Love" SACD, that was riddled with pops & crackles now plays almost perfectly. There is still the occasional (very occasional) pop/crackle on some tracks, but nothing like prior to this u/g.
So, I guess it was worth the drama & trauma