Release date: May 5, 2010
Category: Latest Official Release
Main Version: BDP83-50-0424
Loader Version: BE2710 or BT0410
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326
1. Traditional splash screen. When there is no disc playing, the player shows the OPPO background screen instead of the "Home Menu". The "Home Menu" can be accessed by pressing the "Home" button on the remote control.
2. Improvement to MKV compatibility. Some MKV files do not play or play with severe video artifacts when using previous firmware. This version improves the playback of such files.
3. Fix for the SACD pops/crackles issue. Some users have reported hearing pops or crackles between SACD tracks. This issue happens to certain discs that have data frames that are not aligned with track boundaries. This version removes such pops or crackles.
4. Revision of the RS-232 control protocol. If the player is equipped with the RS-232 wired control option, the new protocol adds three verbose modes to enable command echo back, automatic status update and automatic program counter update. For a complete list of RS-232 protocols please refer to the OPPO BDP-83 RS-232 Control Protocol V2
5. Improved volume control function for the analog audio output. Volume control was previously implemented using the DSP (Digital Signal Processor). This version utilizes the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chips to perform volume control. This change brings the following benefits:
* Fix for the subwoofer hum that happens when the player's volume is set to less than 100 while outputting SACD in DSD format over HDMI;
* Volume control in DSD mode for SACD. Previously volume control does not work for DSD mode. With this version, all analog audio outputs of the BDP-83SE and the dedicated stereo output of the BDP-83 can apply volume control in DSD mode.
6. Fix for a compatibility issue with Sherwood Newcastle R774 A/V receiver. The issue was no audio signal over HDMI when playing a CD.
7. Other general disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
8. Minor changes to BD-Live and BD-Java behavior. Erasing the persistent storage from the setup menu now erases both downloaded BD-Live contents and Java-based bookmarks. BD-Live access is set to off after resetting factory default settings. If you prefer to have BD-Live access, please turn it on from the setup menu.