or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1257

post #37681 of 39280
Quick question...
Does the SE Upgrade upgrade the analog stereo outputs to the level of the 95?
post #37682 of 39280
The DACs are slightly different and the 95 has slightly better DACs but those who have compared the two say the 83SE is very close to the 95 and the sound is definitely in the same family. If you want the best possible analog from Oppo, the 95 does have a small edge.
post #37683 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

The DACs are slightly different and the 95 has slightly better DACs but those who have compared the two say the 83SE is very close to the 95 and the sound is definitely in the same family. If you want the best possible analog from Oppo, the 95 does have a small edge.

OK, thanx for that.
I'll order the upgrade for the 83 and move it to my 2 channel setup and order the 95 for the main HT.
post #37684 of 39280
I thought Oppo had discontinued upgrading the 83 to 83SE? If this is true is the same service available from someone else and if so who and how much? I would like to upgrade my 83 too. Thanks everyone.
post #37685 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

I thought Oppo had discontinued upgrading the 83 to 83SE? If this is true is the same service available from someone else and if so who and how much? I would like to upgrade my 83 too. Thanks everyone.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...adeOption.aspx

Frankly, for a couple hundred more you could have a BDP-93 with more or less equal analog quality on the multi-channel outs. It does lack the dedicated stereo outs though. Sell the 83 for $300 and get the 93.
post #37686 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...adeOption.aspx

Frankly, for a couple hundred more you could have a BDP-93 with more or less equal analog quality on the multi-channel outs. It does lack the dedicated stereo outs though. Sell the 83 for $300 and get the 93.

I am only interested in stereo outs for my 2ch. audio setup.
post #37687 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Firmware update page.
Sounds like your issue has more to do with a handshake problem than anything else.

Bluray disc work fine; it's only disc that are stereo, mono, or 5.1.
DTS Master Audio and True HD disc I get sound throughout the previews and movie.

Would changing out my HDMI cable do any good?
Prior to the SC-57 I was using an SC-27 with no problems.
post #37688 of 39280
I think my 83 is finally on its way out. For months now, it has been randomly hitching during movies. Had people over to watch Tintin recently and had to skip past several scenes because they were just stuttering like mad and freezing. Tonight, I tried to watch The Frighteners and couldn't watch past chapter 32 without constant starts and stops.

Tried the usual steps - clearing storage, factory reset, etc. Also tried rolling back to December firmware with no joy (though it seemed to happen less often with the older firmware for some reason). I'm thinking maybe my drive is dying.

Shot an e-mail to Oppo. Fingers crossed.
post #37689 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

I think my 83 is finally on its way out. For months now, it has been randomly hitching during movies. Had people over to watch Tintin recently and had to skip past several scenes because they were just stuttering like mad and freezing. Tonight, I tried to watch The Frighteners and couldn't watch past chapter 32 without constant starts and stops.

Tried the usual steps - clearing storage, factory reset, etc. Also tried rolling back to December firmware with no joy (though it seemed to happen less often with the older firmware for some reason).

Same here
post #37690 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

I think my 83 is finally on its way out. For months now, it has been randomly hitching during movies. Had people over to watch Tintin recently and had to skip past several scenes because they were just stuttering like mad and freezing. Tonight, I tried to watch The Frighteners and couldn't watch past chapter 32 without constant starts and stops.

Tried the usual steps - clearing storage, factory reset, etc. Also tried rolling back to December firmware with no joy (though it seemed to happen less often with the older firmware for some reason). I'm thinking maybe my drive is dying.

Shot an e-mail to Oppo. Fingers crossed.

Most likely it's just that the laser lens needs cleaning. OPPO will sort it out for you.
--Bob
post #37691 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Most likely it's just that the laser lens needs cleaning. OPPO will sort it out for you.
--Bob

just cleaned the laser. works perfectly now. thanks Bob.
post #37692 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Most likely it's just that the laser lens needs cleaning. OPPO will sort it out for you.
--Bob

Per a previous e-mail from them, I used this disc to clean it. Seemed to work back when I first got it, but I guess it was just a temporary fix. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out. Of course, I have a bunch of people coming over next Thursday for a couple of movies... so I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I have to send it in.
post #37693 of 39280
If you have the player in an environment with a lot of tobacco smoke, cooking smoke, scent candles, or a fireplace, then the lens may need periodic cleaning. See if a film is building up on hard surfaces in the room near the player such as glass on a Display panel or over framed photos. The player can also accumulate dust in a dusty environment.

That said, the more common playback problem is due to fingerprints or cruft on the disc itself. See if problem discs need cleaning.
--Bob
post #37694 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If you have the player in an environment with a lot of tobacco smoke, cooking smoke, scent candles, or a fireplace, then the lens may need periodic cleaning. See if a film is building up on hard surfaces in the room near the player such as glass on a Display panel or over framed photos. The player can also accumulate dust in a dusty environment.

That said, the more common playback problem is due to fingerprints or cruft on the disc itself. See if problem discs need cleaning.
--Bob

Don't smoke, the player's nowhere near the kitchen, don't use candles, don't have a fireplace. We do get a lot of dust here, but I do my best to keep my gear clean.

Discs have all been new out of the package, nothing visible on the disc. Take them out, clean them thoroughly, still hitching. Very odd. I actually returned Tintin because I thought maybe it was a defective disc, but I'm having too many other discs do the same thing.

We'll see what Oppo says. Hopefully, it's a quick fix... 'cause the part of me that hates being without gear is already saying, "Y'know, this is a good excuse to buy the BDP-93..."
post #37695 of 39280
^ Yeah, that's the ticket!
--Bob
post #37696 of 39280
Yeah, like I feared... I got the cut'n'paste troubleshooting e-mail from them with all the stuff I've already tried, and instructions on buying out-of-warranty repair. Guess I have some thinkin' to do about the best way to still have a player by Thursday. Hmmm...
post #37697 of 39280
They frequently turn player repairs around the same day they arrive. But of course you've got the shipping time each direction.
--Bob
post #37698 of 39280
The crazy thing is... some discs play flawlessly. War Horse played without a hitch (and is playing again right now), but Tintin won't even load now. So random. Thanks anyway.
post #37699 of 39280
Thread Starter 
A dirty or otherwise obstructed lens is usually the cause of most reading errors. Cleaning the laser head with a cotton swab and alcohol is the best way to clean the laser head (but is rather invasive to the player) while you can sometimes clean the laser head with a CD/DVD/Blu-ray lens cleaning disc.

Beyond this is might be a hardware issue, which requires the player being sent back to OPPO for repair.
post #37700 of 39280
I gave in to upgradeitis and ordered a BDP-93 so I don't have to cancel movie night this week. Gonna get the BDP-83 fixed and then sell it to mitigate the upgrade cost. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)
post #37701 of 39280
Columbiana blu-ray won't play on my 83. I have upgraded to the latest firmwear and have not had other issues.
I tried to search on this thread to see if others have had an issue with this disc.

The disc has no scratches.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
post #37702 of 39280
^ Erase Persistent Storage, power cycle the player and try again. If still no luck, send an email to OPPO to see if they have any history on this title. Please include the bar code number from the packaging (including the small digits at either end) as that will make sure they know which version of this disc you are using.

I don't recall any prior posts on this title. With Blu-ray, it is possible to have physical disc manufacturing flaws which are not readily visible to the eye, so you may have a defective disc. But let's see if others respond on this, first.
--Bob
post #37703 of 39280
Columbiana played without a hitch for me.
post #37704 of 39280
im thinking of selling my infrequently used bdp-83 player in place of a new ps3. i currently have my oppo output to source direct into my scaler. does the ps3 do source direct? if not, is its internal scaler anywhere near the oppo's? im using it with a jvc rs35 pj and 130" screen so i can see when the image is inferior for scaling.

thx.
post #37705 of 39280
The PS3 sticky thread at the top of this forum is where people hang out who like to answer questions about the PS3.
--Bob
post #37706 of 39280
Hi. One of my 83s is having a lot of trouble with the tray. It seems to stick and I have trouble getting it to open. In these instances the only thing that seems to work is to stop the player and then turn off the power. Upon power up I can then usually get it to open. Is there some fix for this or do you think the drive tray is going bad? Thanks for any help.
post #37707 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

Hi. One of my 83s is having a lot of trouble with the tray. It seems to stick and I have trouble getting it to open. In these instances the only thing that seems to work is to stop the player and then turn off the power. Upon power up I can then usually get it to open. Is there some fix for this or do you think the drive tray is going bad? Thanks for any help.

Give OPPO a call and describe what's happening. They'll help you sort it out. If you have the drive tray failure, a workaround while you wait is to keep a disc in the tray.
--Bob
post #37708 of 39280
Can the Oppo 83 output 720p24 and 1080p24 mkv files as 1080p24 or does it force them to 1080p60?
post #37709 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Erase Persistent Storage, power cycle the player and try again. If still no luck, send an email to OPPO to see if they have any history on this title. Please include the bar code number from the packaging (including the small digits at either end) as that will make sure they know which version of this disc you are using.

I don't recall any prior posts on this title. With Blu-ray, it is possible to have physical disc manufacturing flaws which are not readily visible to the eye, so you may have a defective disc. But let's see if others respond on this, first.
--Bob

Thanks, I sent it back for a replacement copy after trying your suggestions.
I appreciate everyone's help.
post #37710 of 39280
The drawer on my BDP-83 stopped opening. Well, it opens, but it takes 20 times to get it to open. Oh, and I have the newest firmware. Any suggestions?

Shawn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]