or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1298

post #38911 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssouci View Post

thanks... sure I would be willing to ship it to them (and I have the original box), however, I want to be pretty sure that it's even needed and that they can "fix" it
Email Oppo first and explain this problem and see what they suggest. If you have to send in the player for repair, so be it, and if Oppo can't repair it, nobody can. Their tech support and customer service in my experience is second to none.
post #38912 of 39277
Just purchased a used 83 online. A few quick noob questions:
1) Should I perform a factory reset? If I do, will it retain the firmware?
2) Which is optimal for HD audio? decoding with player or via AVR?
3) How can I see the number of hours on the player?

Thanks
post #38913 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by aburwell213 View Post

Just purchased a used 83 online. A few quick noob questions:
1) Should I perform a factory reset? If I do, will it retain the firmware?
Won't hurt but also won't help unless the player has been set up oddly.
Quote:
2) Which is optimal for HD audio? decoding with player or via AVR?
Makes no difference. Most would set it to bitstream with Secondary Audio turned off.
Quote:
3) How can I see the number of hours on the player?

You can't.

By far the most common hours-related issue on the 83 is the drawer refusing to open. This is peculiar to the earlier revisions of the player, later revisions don't seem to have this. If it does become an issue, Oppo will fix it cheap.
post #38914 of 39277
I have a Onkyo PR-SC5509 pre-pro, will a used BDP-83 be fine with a JVC RS46 or will I benefit from buying a BDP-103? I intend to run pretty much everything through the Onkyo.
post #38915 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt View Post

I have a Onkyo PR-SC5509 pre-pro, will a used BDP-83 be fine with a JVC RS46 or will I benefit from buying a BDP-103? I intend to run pretty much everything through the Onkyo.
That's if you like 3D and streaming,then go with 103.
post #38916 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt View Post

I have a Onkyo PR-SC5509 pre-pro, will a used BDP-83 be fine with a JVC RS46 or will I benefit from buying a BDP-103? I intend to run pretty much everything through the Onkyo.

In terms of image and audio quality you will be fine. In terms of features: the later player has more, so it depends on if any of the features are important to you.

-Bill
post #38917 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

That's if you like 3D and streaming,then go with 103.
I do use streaming for Netflix and Amazon but I could possibly get a Roku, which I have been considering for a while or use my Xbox for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

In terms of image and audio quality you will be fine. In terms of features: the later player has more, so it depends on if any of the features are important to you.

-Bill

I am more concerned about image quality and looking for a good transport medium for the blu rays. I am currently using a Sony BDP-S590. Will I see a big improvement over it?
Edited by sCiEnt - 10/12/13 at 10:30am
post #38918 of 39277
No, unless you watch 3D.
I have an 83 and 770 in the same rack and recently did some tests. Could not see any difference, i.e. both players passed the tests when properly set up. The old 83 spins a lot quieter though. The 770 vibrates like hell with Blu-rays. I expect it to die any day now.
post #38919 of 39277
Is the 3D on the Oppo that much better than the newer (compared to the BDP-83) Sony?

I won't be using it for much 3D, but I am sure the feature will get some light use.
post #38920 of 39277
Thread Starter 
Not really, no. If you are just looking for a Blu-ray or 3D Blu-ray player, the differences are really not there. The defining feature of the OPPO players is always de-interlacing and scaling of low resolution media, such as DVD-Video titles.
post #38921 of 39277
My oppo 83 is acting a bit odd after four years of usage.Ive had the player lock up on loading screen and Ive had to eject disc and start again.A few times the draw does not open right away to get disc out.Not major stuff but concerning.Cant live without my Oppo and my question is should i send the 83 in for repair when time comes or just get newer model?I watch mostly sd dvd and the oppo 83 combined with my Darbee unit results in amazing PQ.Is repairing an Oppo expensive considering the cost of sending it to company?Thanks for your help
post #38922 of 39277
Thread Starter 
The player stopping at HELLO or OPPO is usually a bad HDMI handshake. Try replacing your HDMI cable.

The tray not ejecting reliably can be due to the tray needing to be repaired. Contact OPPO and they will be able to have your player repaired.
post #38923 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt View Post

Is the 3D on the Oppo that much better than the newer (compared to the BDP-83) Sony?

I won't be using it for much 3D, but I am sure the feature will get some light use.

The 3D on the Oppo 83 is terrible, because the player doesn't support 3D at all smile.gif

I was trying to say if you want 3D stick with your Sony, otherwise you need at least an Oppo 93/103 in which case you're in the wrong thread. This thread is for 2D dinosaurs.
post #38924 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

This thread is for 2D dinosaurs.

A little harsh.
post #38925 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Not really, no. If you are just looking for a Blu-ray or 3D Blu-ray player, the differences are really not there. The defining feature of the OPPO players is always de-interlacing and scaling of low resolution media, such as DVD-Video titles.

Considering I am planning on only watching Blu-Rays and my Onkyo 5509 has a reasonable video processor for the few times I might watch a SD DVD the wise (and cheaper) decision would be to stick with the existing Sony.
post #38926 of 39277
Thread Starter 
That would be my recommendation.
post #38927 of 39277
Quote:
My oppo 83 is acting a bit odd after four years of usage.Ive had the player lock up on loading screen and Ive had to eject disc and start again.A few times the draw does not open right away to get disc out.Not major stuff but concerning.Cant live without my Oppo and my question is should i send the 83 in for repair when time comes or just get newer model?I watch mostly sd dvd and the oppo 83 combined with my Darbee unit results in amazing PQ.Is repairing an Oppo expensive considering the cost of sending it to company?Thanks for your help

After years of 100% flawless service, my BDP83 locked up on the 2nd disk of The Pacific, when I clicked on episode 3. Even stranger, while watching the Life of Pi Blu Ray 2 nights ago, the scene where the flying fish appear was suddenly on the screen as 2.35:1 ( in the middle of a 16:9 movie - interesting ) with black bars above and below. Then, one of the following scenes appeared letterboxed as if it was a 4:3 scene - with black bars on the left and right. Then the rest of the movie played fine - normal 16:9. I've never seen anything like it.

Is this a sign I need to buy a new 103? eek.gif
post #38928 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

After years of 100% flawless service, my BDP83 locked up on the 2nd disk of The Pacific, when I clicked on episode 3. Even stranger, while watching the Life of Pi Blu Ray 2 nights ago, the scene where the flying fish appear was suddenly on the screen as 2.35:1 ( in the middle of a 16:9 movie - interesting ) with black bars above and below. Then, one of the following scenes appeared letterboxed as if it was a 4:3 scene - with black bars on the left and right. Then the rest of the movie played fine - normal 16:9. I've never seen anything like it.

Is this a sign I need to buy a new 103? eek.gif

Can't speak to your lockups on The Pacific, but the Life of Pi stuff is the way the director intended. Those aspect ratio changes are part of the film.
post #38929 of 39277
That's interesting - I guess I totally spaced that out the first time I watched it. It's not exactly like the Batman films where they open from 2.35:1 and then go back to 2.35:1 repeatedly.
Quote:
Note: There are two spots in the film where the aspect ratio changes suddenly from the normal 1.85:1. During the "flying fish" sequence that was used as a teaser for the movie, the top and bottom close in to 2.35:1, and there's a single overhead shot of a whale passing beneath the lifeboat that inexplicable squeezes in to a windowboxed 1.33:1. I'm not sure what the rationale or workflow was here, so I can't really comment on it, but don't be alarmed by the out-of-nowhere framing changes.

Ha - never mind. Looks like I was alarmed that my beloved Oppo was starting to lose it's grip and go crazy. No. it's just me. Carry on.......................smile.gif
post #38930 of 39277
That's what happens when you read too many posts by Mark Haflich over on the JVC forum!!
post #38931 of 39277
Quote:
That's what happens when you read too many posts by Mark Haflich over on the JVC forum!!

You might be right..............

eek.gifsmile.gif
post #38932 of 39277
I was configuring video playback settings because a homemade disc had colors that were way too intense/saturated. I accidentally switched region from NTSC to multi and there is no picture now. How do I get the picture back, considering I can no longer see what I am selecting on the setup menu?
post #38933 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofpathos View Post

I was configuring video playback settings because a homemade disc had colors that were way too intense/saturated. I accidentally switched region from NTSC to multi and there is no picture now. How do I get the picture back, considering I can no longer see what I am selecting on the setup menu?

Use the P/N button on the remote to cycle between NTSC/PAL/Multi. I think the setting shows on the player's front panel.

-Bill
post #38934 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Use the P/N button on the remote to cycle between NTSC/PAL/Multi.

Thanks, Bill. That took care of it.
post #38935 of 39277
I know there is some discussion of the "no disc" error here, but I am just asking if anybody can tell me anything else to try after these actions I have already completed without resolution of the problem:

1. Confirmed "no disc" error message appears with Blu-ray, DVD, and CD.
2. Inspected and cleaned lens with isopropol alcohol(lens looked pristine even before cleaning).
3. Connected network cable and checked firmware version--message came up saying I have latest version.
4. Unplugged unit for 30 minutes, then plugged back in.

Thanks for any tips.
post #38936 of 39277
Thread Starter 
At this point it appears your player needs to be repaired.
post #38937 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

I know there is some discussion of the "no disc" error here, but I am just asking if anybody can tell me anything else to try after these actions I have already completed without resolution of the problem:

1. Confirmed "no disc" error message appears with Blu-ray, DVD, and CD.
2. Inspected and cleaned lens with isopropol alcohol(lens looked pristine even before cleaning).
3. Connected network cable and checked firmware version--message came up saying I have latest version.
4. Unplugged unit for 30 minutes, then plugged back in.

Thanks for any tips.

I might have an answer for you... Does your drive sound like it is having a hard time locking in the speed? Mine was having issues and i could hear the drive spinning up and down. The problem I had was that the disc was slipping in the drive. i had to disassemble the drive and get access to the drive spindle. I used a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and cleaned the rubber grommet that grips the disc. There was a lot of residue and once that was cleaned up, the drive was able to clamp on the disc and was able to spin up to speed readily.

Note that rubbing alcohol is not really recommended on rubber as it tends to dry it out. You might want to try a different cleaner instead... I know some places might sell rubber cleaners for capstans and such.
post #38938 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

I might have an answer for you... Does your drive sound like it is having a hard time locking in the speed? Mine was having issues and i could hear the drive spinning up and down. The problem I had was that the disc was slipping in the drive. i had to disassemble the drive and get access to the drive spindle. I used a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and cleaned the rubber grommet that grips the disc. There was a lot of residue and once that was cleaned up, the drive was able to clamp on the disc and was able to spin up to speed readily.

Note that rubbing alcohol is not really recommended on rubber as it tends to dry it out. You might want to try a different cleaner instead... I know some places might sell rubber cleaners for capstans and such.

Thanks, no I have not noticed my drive sounding like you describe. Actually, the player has been working perfectly and suddenly had the "no disc" error. When I insert a disc, it doesn't seem like it even tries to spin it up. I also just cleaned the rubber on the spindle, although it didn't look dusty in the first place. Still gives the no disc message. I will be calling Oppo Monday.
post #38939 of 39277
Have audio dropouts been reported yet with Monsters U? Bitstreaming TrueHD 7.1 of course.
post #38940 of 39277
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Have audio dropouts been reported yet with Monsters U? Bitstreaming TrueHD 7.1 of course.

Yes that disc is buggy. Try converting to PCM in the player.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]