or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 228

post #6811 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear View Post

I find the vibration issue very curious. I have not seen it on my unit so this is a shot in the dark but here goes. Spinning little shiny plastic discs in trays is hardly a new technology. It's hard to figure what Oppo could have done wrong here--if anything. They buy their BD drives from some supplier (somebody here can tell us who makes them) so they should be more or less the same as any other. Making a tray that slides in and out is also hardly a new technology. Most optical media players just don't vibrate so much that you would report it. So what has OPPO done to make discs vibrate? Or is the fault in the discs as has been suggested? Something just doesn't add up here.

I'm with you. I haven't noticed any such problems. The only thing I can think is that if it's not user error in some way or some problem with an individual disc (i think the most likely explanation) it must be that Oppo had a slight glitch in the production process and thus some of the units have a problem with the drive unit.
post #6812 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I found this in my inbox a little while ago.



After you install the firmware and experience its features and functionalities, please come to the EAP web site to cast/revise your vote and share your comments.
www.oppodigital.com

A reminder that it's time to vote or revise your vote. (assuming you have checked out the new FW)
post #6813 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

No problem updating via USB port. Actual firmware transfer from thumb drive takes maybe 15 seconds. Would that every device I own was so easy to reflash (looking at you here Onkyo).

Same here. Update went flawless with USB.

I just wish they would indicate somewhere


old "firmware ##"
Current "firmware ##"

Jim
post #6814 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I found this in my inbox a little while ago. I had already powered up the player to listen to some music and saw the "Update Available" message, but this was certainly a welcome message.

Dear Stephen,

We are delighted to let you know that a new version of firmware is now available for your OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player. This firmware version contains improvements and fixes based on the feedbacks we have received from Early Adoption Program (EAP) participants like you. Thank you very much for the support!

The download link, release note and installation instruction can be found at:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...e-18-0402.aspx

After you install the firmware and experience its features and functionalities, please come to the EAP web site to cast/revise your vote and share your comments. The EAP web site is located at:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/eap.aspx


Please keep the feedbacks coming. At OPPO Digital, we listen to our customers and your support helps us to build a stronger product for our user community.


Sincerely,


Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

Please note that Oppo is asking EAP members to vote (or revise your vote) NOW. Oppo is fully aware that there are still some issues to be worked out but I think they would benefit from a serious take from each EAP member.

Based on the CURRENT state of the product, do you believe Oppo should offer the BDP-83 for general sale?

You can choose to give whatever weight you deem appropriate to specific items -- things the player does well or things that still need work.

You can choose to give whatever weight you deem appropriate to how the player works in each of its fundamental roles -- e.g., playing Blu-Ray discs, playing SD-DVD discs, playing CDs, playing high end audio discs, and playing content stored on external media.

You can also choose to give whatever weight you deem appropriate to your expectation that Oppo will be able to address any remaining issues "soon enough" in future firmware updates.

The fundamental question is not whether the player is perfect. It is whether it is ready for prime time. Ready for general release. Close enough to "perfexion" .

EXAMPLE: Knowing what you know now, if you didn't already have your EAP unit, would you buy this player this week?

EXAMPLE: Knowing what you know now, would you recommend a friend buy this player this week?

Keep in mind that you have the ability to change your vote after you make it.
--Bob
post #6815 of 39280
I can't see how scratched discs cause vibration. Vibration is due to an imbalance of some sort. Unless we're talking major gouges a simple scratch (or scratches) should not cause a disc imbalance. It could be the spindle in the player is not quite right causing the disc to also wobble as it spins (ie, a manufacturing defect of some sort). It might also be that the disc itself is not balanced (if the hole in the disc is not properly centered for example). I would think the only thing Oppo can control in firmware is motor speed and acceleration: They may be ale to change spin-up and spin-down speeds but unless they're reading data off the disc and stuffing it into memory CD's have to spin at a constant linear velocity (data coming off the disc must be at a constant rate). That rate is determined by frame markers in the data stream (if velocity is not constant that results in audible changes in the music).
post #6816 of 39280
OPPO will not be mailing out stickers that read I VOTED TODAY, but you can make a difference with just one vote. I hope my candidate wins [/fingerscrossed]
post #6817 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm007 View Post

Same here. Update went flawless with USB.

I just wish they would indicate somewhere


old "firmware ##"
Current "firmware ##"

Jim

Jim, you can find out all the details of your current firmware in Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information.

The firmware comes in several pieces. What was updated this time was the "Main" firmware.

The installer will tell you the version number it has found for each new piece and ask if you want to proceed with the install of that piece.

After the install, you can confirm the new version in Firmware Information as above.
--Bob
post #6818 of 39280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A reminder that it's time to vote or revise your vote. (assuming you have checked out the new FW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Please note that Oppo is asking EAP members to vote (or revise your vote) NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

OPPO will not be mailing out stickers that read I VOTED TODAY, but you can make a difference with just one vote.

I will not vote until Diddy shows up and tells me to "Vote or Die!"

Seriously guys, there is no real need to get all huffy and puffy. The firmware was released just last night. Give the people at least the weekend to get a better feel for the performance enhancements of the new firmware.
post #6819 of 39280
What? Five whole days? And nights?


--Bob
post #6820 of 39280
I must admit that I have not had any problems with the BDP-83 other than the stated issues with DVD Audio. I will head home from the hospital soon to see what the new firmware fixes, but I am pretty sure it will fix the DVD-Audio issues I experienced and not the issues I had Sunday night.

I have run quite a few DVD-SD movies, SACDs, CDs and some DVDa discs after switching to lpcm thru the 83 without issue and up until Sunday night I had watched several Blu-ray movies without a single incident.

Then Sunday night I had a friend over to watch Gone Baby Gone. And had what can best be described as an INCIDENT with the BDP-83.

About half way in to the movie there is a scene by the old quarry where they are suppose to exchange money for the kid. From seemingly out of no where gun shots are heard. And I mean HEARD!

I have a 7.2 sound system with hybrid electrostatic speakers and SVS PB13 ultra Subs and an 800 watt per 7 channel amp.

The Gunshots were so loud, two pictures came off the wall and crashed to the floor breaking the glass in their frames, it startled my friend into tipping the chair over backwards where he hit his head on the floor and was knocked out cold. I kicked my leg off to the side and hit a heavy glass coffee table. My shin opened up and started to bleed and swell. I went down on the floor in pain.

My wife came in the room yelling and screaming about me being an idiot for firing a gun in the house and when she saw the blood, glass and my friend out cold on the floor and me on the ground writhing in pain....well I was lucky we did not end up with a 911 call and a full scale SWAT team at my house.

Although my friend and I are on the mend now and need no help from the latest OPPO firmware release. I am afraid my two rear channel woofers in my hybrid electrostats are a true casualty of the gunshots and are dead and gone for good. I called Martin Logan yesterday to order new woofers and today I took two picture frames in to get new glass. My wife is not speaking to me, and that is actually a good thing, thanks OPPO.

I am afraid if the BDP-83 improves much more via firmware then I will have to get my insurance policy deductibles re-written.

Bottom line, although I have read of some issues that other people have had with the BDP-83, based on my understanding of the 2nd EAP, the voting should be done on each of our own individual experiences and although I have endured physical pain and monetary loss testing the OPPO BDP-83, I will be voting yes tonight for its release. I see no reason for other people not to experience the joys and agonies that I have experienced at the hands of what is now MY OPPO BDP-83

Remember, in my opinion our votes should be based on our own individual experience, not what we read here at AVS. That is the only way for OPPO to get a grasp on the real percentages out there.

Now I will go put my flame suit on...although I can't seem to get it on over my right leg, the swelling is still too high. I guess I need to go back in to hydro-therapy for a little while longer. Maybe I will sit in the tub and watch a BD movie
post #6821 of 39280
Ya, that's a good story
post #6822 of 39280
Anyone know if Oppo is planning to take pre-orders for the 83 and if so any guess at when they might start?
post #6823 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

If the vibration is so loud, you'd think it would affect the sound quality as well as creating an irritating additonal noise in the room. Does it?

Great question, and one which I'll have to research a little more closely. I didn't check the sound on the media I was testing as I had the volume turned down in order to test the vibration. The video from the DVD played fine, without skips or other visual problems.

I should honestly state that, in my experience, the vibration is fairly minor... like a low hum rather than a loud buzz. Much less annoying than the previous Oppo "menu buzz" that plagued previous players. It was loud enough for me to hear it during silent parts of the DVD (FBI warning screens), but not so loud as to be intrusive when the menu music came on. And the BDP-83 is about four feet from where I sit when I watch a movie. I'm kind of a worst-case scenario when it comes to noise tolerance.

As I said, I'll do some listening tests tonight on the media I identified as being problematic. I think the individual discs are imperfectly manufactured, and the Oppo has problems dealing with them. We could debate whose responsibility that is, but I doubt it would be a fruitful discussion
post #6824 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear View Post

They buy their BD drives from some supplier (somebody here can tell us who makes them) so they should be more or less the same as any other.

The OEM Blu-ray transport comes from the Chinese ASA Technology group. It uses a SATA interface. The part number seems to be 9310-B01 from this picture taken by Scott. Then again it may not be the P/N as I can't find anything on the net or ASA's website with this P/N. It visually resembles this BD 041 Blu-ray Disc transport and the specs seem to match the capabilities supported by the BDP-83.
post #6825 of 39280
After you install the firmware and experience its features and functionalities, please come to the EAP web site to cast/revise your vote and share your comments. The EAP web site is located at:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/eap.aspx

Oppo BDP-83 EAP Participants
Total Votes: 350
Pending Votes: 256 (75.1 %)
Yes Votes: 67 (19.1 %)
No Votes: 27 (7.7%)

Current approval ratio at 71.2%
post #6826 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAUSGP View Post

I must admit that I have not had any problems with the BDP-83 other than the stated issues with DVD Audio. I will head home from the hospital soon to see what the new firmware fixes, but I am pretty sure it will fix the DVD-Audio issues I experienced and not the issues I had Sunday night.

I have run quite a few DVD-SD movies, SACDs, CDs and some DVDa discs after switching to lpcm thru the 83 without issue and up until Sunday night I had watched several Blu-ray movies without a single incident.

Then Sunday night I had a friend over to watch Gone Baby Gone. And had what can best be described as an INCIDENT with the BDP-83.

About half way in to the movie there is a scene by the old quarry where they are suppose to exchange money for the kid. From seemingly out of no where gun shots are heard. And I mean HEARD!

I have a 7.2 sound system with hybrid electrostatic speakers and SVS PB13 ultra Subs and an 800 watt per 7 channel amp.

The Gunshots were so loud, two pictures came off the wall and crashed to the floor breaking the glass in their frames, it startled my friend into tipping the chair over backwards where he hit his head on the floor and was knocked out cold. I kicked my leg off to the side and hit a heavy glass coffee table. My shin opened up and started to bleed and swell. I went down on the floor in pain.

My wife came in the room yelling and screaming about me being an idiot for firing a gun in the house and when she saw the blood, glass and my friend out cold on the floor and me on the ground writhing in pain....well I was lucky we did not end up with a 911 call and a full scale SWAT team at my house.

Although my friend and I are on the mend now and need no help from the latest OPPO firmware release. I am afraid my two rear channel woofers in my hybrid electrostats are a true casualty of the gunshots and are dead and gone for good. I called Martin Logan yesterday to order new woofers and today I took two picture frames in to get new glass. My wife is not speaking to me, and that is actually a good thing, thanks OPPO.

I am afraid if the BDP-83 improves much more via firmware then I will have to get my insurance policy deductibles re-written.

Bottom line, although I have read of some issues that other people have had with the BDP-83, based on my understanding of the 2nd EAP, the voting should be done on each of our own individual experiences and although I have endured physical pain and monetary loss testing the OPPO BDP-83, I will be voting yes tonight for its release. I see no reason for other people not to experience the joys and agonies that I have experienced at the hands of what is now MY OPPO BDP-83

Remember, in my opinion our votes should be based on our own individual experience, not what we read here at AVS. That is the only way for OPPO to get a grasp on the real percentages out there.

Now I will go put my flame suit on...although I can't seem to get it on over my right leg, the swelling is still too high. I guess I need to go back in to hydro-therapy for a little while longer. Maybe I will sit in the tub and watch a BD movie

I presume you were playing the raw (uncompressed) 5.1 LPCM track from this Blu-Ray disc?

Here's what the review on Blu-Ray.com has to say about the audio on this movie (emphasis added by me):

Quote:


Disney, a.k.a. "Old Reliable," provides us with yet another uncompressed PCM 5.1 soundtrack, satisfying the commitment to providing the best high definition content on the best high definition format currently available. Gone Baby Gone features a crisp, palatable soundtrack that is pleasing on the ears and easy on the speakers, but also is not afraid to jump out and slam the viewer in the chest during a few critical scenes throughout the movie. While the film is mostly dialogue-driven with good yet slightly underwhelming ambience and a never overbearing score, the really dynamic parts of the soundtrack come out of hiding in chapter ten in the form of a hail of gunfire, startling both me and my speakers. The shots ring loud, deep, and true, sounding nearly as good as the excellent reproduction of gunfire in 3:10 to Yuma. The scene is horrific both visually and mentally, and the authority and realism reproduced here is downright horrific, one mark of an excellent track. Deep bass is also evident here and there, especially in a few scenes employing hip-hop music, and the subwoofer rumbles with vigor. Dialogue reproduction is excellent. It's presented at an acceptable and expected volume in comparison to the rest of the track and is never muffled or drowned out when it shouldn't be. Surrounds are employed somewhere between sparingly and adequately, perhaps coming up a tad short in creating a wholly believable atmosphere, but for the most part, this is a top notch soundtrack.

Is this what you were hearing? If not, can you find the timecode for the problem audio -- with your volume turned way down of course?

It sounds like you may have been a casualty of a truly over-the-top audio track.
--Bob
post #6827 of 39280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post

Anyone know if Oppo is planning to take pre-orders for the 83 ...

Yes

Quote:


... any guess at when they might start?

Two to three weeks, or whenever OPPO finally gets around to announcing the final release date and price for the BDP-83.
post #6828 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAUSGP View Post

I must admit that I have not had any problems with the BDP-83 other than the stated issues with DVD Audio. I will head home from the hospital soon to see what the new firmware fixes, but I am pretty sure it will fix the DVD-Audio issues I experienced and not the issues I had Sunday night.

I have run quite a few DVD-SD movies, SACDs, CDs and some DVDa discs after switching to lpcm thru the 83 without issue and up until Sunday night I had watched several Blu-ray movies without a single incident.

Then Sunday night I had a friend over to watch Gone Baby Gone. And had what can best be described as an INCIDENT with the BDP-83.

About half way in to the movie there is a scene by the old quarry where they are suppose to exchange money for the kid. From seemingly out of no where gun shots are heard. And I mean HEARD!

I have a 7.2 sound system with hybrid electrostatic speakers and SVS PB13 ultra Subs and an 800 watt per 7 channel amp.

The Gunshots were so loud, two pictures came off the wall and crashed to the floor breaking the glass in their frames, it startled my friend into tipping the chair over backwards where he hit his head on the floor and was knocked out cold. I kicked my leg off to the side and hit a heavy glass coffee table. My shin opened up and started to bleed and swell. I went down on the floor in pain.

My wife came in the room yelling and screaming about me being an idiot for firing a gun in the house and when she saw the blood, glass and my friend out cold on the floor and me on the ground writhing in pain....well I was lucky we did not end up with a 911 call and a full scale SWAT team at my house.

Although my friend and I are on the mend now and need no help from the latest OPPO firmware release. I am afraid my two rear channel woofers in my hybrid electrostats are a true casualty of the gunshots and are dead and gone for good. I called Martin Logan yesterday to order new woofers and today I took two picture frames in to get new glass. My wife is not speaking to me, and that is actually a good thing, thanks OPPO.

I am afraid if the BDP-83 improves much more via firmware then I will have to get my insurance policy deductibles re-written.

Bottom line, although I have read of some issues that other people have had with the BDP-83, based on my understanding of the 2nd EAP, the voting should be done on each of our own individual experiences and although I have endured physical pain and monetary loss testing the OPPO BDP-83, I will be voting yes tonight for its release. I see no reason for other people not to experience the joys and agonies that I have experienced at the hands of what is now MY OPPO BDP-83

Remember, in my opinion our votes should be based on our own individual experience, not what we read here at AVS. That is the only way for OPPO to get a grasp on the real percentages out there.

Now I will go put my flame suit on...although I can't seem to get it on over my right leg, the swelling is still too high. I guess I need to go back in to hydro-therapy for a little while longer. Maybe I will sit in the tub and watch a BD movie

Great post! I'm sorry but it made me laugh out loud. I had a mildly similar (no blown speakers or blood) experience with Quantum of Solace and Max Payne. My GF ran out of the room on QOS and covered her ears on MP. I was starting to think that I needed to recalibrate my system.....but I am waiting to set up the HDMI audio before I do that (currently using analog).
post #6829 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Yes



Two to three weeks, or whenever OPPO finally gets around to announcing the final release date and price for the BDP-83.




post #6830 of 39280
Grubavs, you forgot to read the political wording of the statement, specifically this part...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

..."or"...

post #6831 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Originally Posted by Brian-HD
My CD is playing too fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD
Not Good
Analog is off. Please Check. This is not the same.

Brian
Did these questions/issues ever get addressed? I could not find an answer, but the tread is moving pretty quick.

I'm a little paranoid to do the upgrade until I hear back on this - I listen to a LOT more CD's than DVD-A's.

Seems like most of the issues have been resolved, and I really want to try this version soon (tonight if all goes well @ work)

John

I think that it is/was the vibration that is making my CD seems too fast. Not all CDs vibrate. Since I do all my regular CDs listening on analog, I was under the impression that it is anolog. My opinion is that this is with certain discs only.

Did a small test (my tactile and auditory) with SACD, DTS CD,and CD. SACD and DTS CD have less vibration (I consider this normal). CDs vibrate more which can be distracting.

Thanks Brian-HD!

Looking forward to installing the upgrade and trying the DVD-A's that were giving me problems.
post #6832 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Yes



Two to three weeks, or whenever OPPO finally gets around to announcing the final release date and price for the BDP-83.

Cool. Thanks!
post #6833 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Grubavs, you forgot to read the political wording of the statement, specifically this part...

At least let the rest of us that joined up for the EAP get first grab at them.
post #6834 of 39280
the gunshot noise is a problem with the receiver.. not the oppo. are you bitsteaming?
I had that problem with my onkyo 605. there isa firmware update for it.. a least there was with my receiver.

Jacob
post #6835 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

the gunshot noise is a problem with the receiver.. not the oppo. are you bitsteaming?
I had that problem with my onkyo 605. there isa firmware update for it.. a least there was with my receiver.

Jacob

You are thinking about the DTS-HD MA decoding problem in early Onkyo and Yamaha decoding receivers. That was my first reaction as well when I read his post.

The disc he was playing does not have a DTS-HD MA track. It is a raw (uncompressed) LPCM track.

There is no problem here either in the player or his receiver. This particular movie track just happens to be particularly over-the-top on that gun fight scene.
--Bob
post #6836 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

At least let the rest of us that joined up for the EAP get first grab at them.

If I had it my way... absolutely .
post #6837 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

As stated previously, I have the problem using either output. I've got the HDMI output set to bitstream, but also tried it in LPCM mode with the same result.

Edit: Based on other discussion, I'll have to double check what's happening in LPCM mode and report back.

I just ran a quick test playing the Kenny Wayne Shepherd HDCD with the HDMI output set to Bitstream and then again with it set to LPCM. In both cases, the HDCD indicater on my Denon AVP flickered and the audio stuttered. I can't figure out how to get the signal bit depth on the AVP for this digital source - I've posted a question in the AVP thread. If I'm able to find that information out, I'll post an update, but it would appear that the Oppo is not sending the expanded HDCD digital info to out the HDMI cable in either mode.
post #6838 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P. View Post

There is no problem here either in the player or his receiver. This particular movie track just happens to be particularly over-the-top on that gun fight scene.

Right, This is a case of what is becoming common_over_the_top mixing of some of these newer movie soundtracks.
Like if someone sneezes, it should not shake your whole house through your subwoofer. It's like it goes from one extreme to the other... Wall-E could have benefited from a lot more bass, while the LFE in the new movie Bolt is almost out of control. Just a couple of examples there.
post #6839 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I just ran a quick test playing the Kenny Wayne Shepherd HDCD with the HDMI output set to Bitstream and then again with it set to LPCM. In both cases, the HDCD indicater on my Denon AVP flickered and the audio stuttered. I can't figure out how to get the signal bit depth on the AVP for this digital source - I've posted a question in the AVP thread. If I'm able to find that information out, I'll post an update, but it would appear that the Oppo is not sending the expanded HDCD digital info to out the HDMI cable in either mode.

Do you recall what the title of that cd is?
post #6840 of 39280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Do you recall what the title of that cd is?

Hmm just scroll some random number of pages back and I'm sure you'll find it . It's Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - Trouble Is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]