or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-P1600 Owners/master thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung BD-P1600 Owners/master thread - Page 68

post #2011 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahedgpe View Post

I have my 1600 with firmware 2.05 going directly into the tv with nothing else plugged into my player. I have a very strange thing happening with one of my blurays...When I put in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince all the previews play fine and it shows the player reading the disc on screen. When the main menu attempts to load the screen is still black and I hear 1-2 seconds of main menu audio and then the screen freezes black with no audio. At that point, I can only turn the power off (nothing else on the remote or front of unit works). If I do restart the unit sometimes the bluray will start ok and show the main menu and I can play the movie with no issues.

As I mentioned before, this is the menu crashing issue I had experienced when I used 2.04 and 2.05. I reverted back to 1.04 quite some time ago and the problem has been gone.
post #2012 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

As I mentioned before, this is the menu crashing issue I had experienced when I used 2.04 and 2.05. I reverted back to 1.04 quite some time ago and the problem has been gone.

Do you loose any features when going to 1.04 from 2.05? Any other notible issues that you have ran into with 1.04? Lastly, where can I download a firmware 1.04? Thanks
post #2013 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

i downgraded my firmware to 2.04 and replayed Up, and again it started freezing in the exactsame spot as with the 2.05 firmware, and the two spots were at the 3 minute 14 second mark, and again at the 7 minute mark.

i put the disc in my bd-p1500 samsung, and it played flawlessly through those two spots

Received my Up disc...

At Version 1.04, I checked both spots and they played fine. Will watch the movie in full later today and report back...
post #2014 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahedgpe View Post

Do you loose any features when going to 1.04 from 2.05? Any other notible issues that you have ran into with 1.04? Lastly, where can I download a firmware 1.04? Thanks

The only thing I know of is Maximum Movie Mode on the Warner discs. Never tried them but that's what I heard. That's one of Samsung's main reason for releasing the 2.XX firmwares. But IMHO....you gain more than you lose with Version 1.04. And besides, the maximum movie mode videos can be viewed individually on the special features menu so it's not like you're missing out on much.
post #2015 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

The only thing I know of is Maximum Movie Mode on the Warner discs. Never tried them but that's what I heard. That's one of Samsung's main reason for releasing the 2.XX firmwares. But IMHO....you gain more than you lose with Version 1.04. And besides, the maximum movie mode videos can be viewed individually on the special features menu so it's not like you're missing out on much.

Worth a try! Do you know of any download links I could get it at?
post #2016 of 3602
post #2017 of 3602
Thanks so much...found these in the forum about the same time you posted them...will try in a few!
post #2018 of 3602
Finished watching the "Up" BD I rented. Not a single freeze or pause. Again, I was watching at 1.04 firmware. From what I read, everyone having problems with the movie was using either 2.04 or 2.05. Samsung really needs to fix the bugs in the 2.XX firmwares.

Good looking movie, by the way. Definitely a great disc to show off to people.
post #2019 of 3602
I'm finally going to join the complaining bandwagon but for different reasons. Namely the 'upcoming 3D Blu Ray player that is going to replace the current format while it was just starting to take off..............' F*****g unbelievable I've only had this player for about 5 months and looking at the current news coming out of CES 2010- it looks like the new format will be 3D starting this year. I know!!! I know!!! It probably won't be adopted by the mainstream right away but knowing in the back of your mind that it will be soon is almost the same thing. Don't get me started on my barely 1 year old Sammy PN50A650 plasma display I guess I should head over to that thread to continue venting my frustrations.............
post #2020 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Finished watching the "Up" BD I rented. Not a single freeze or pause. Again, I was watching at 1.04 firmware. From what I read, everyone having problems with the movie was using either 2.04 or 2.05. Samsung really needs to fix the bugs in the 2.XX firmwares.

Good looking movie, by the way. Definitely a great disc to show off to people.

MrHT do you use Netflix instant viewing? I use that and Pandora and it seems to me I had problems with 1.04 but I can't remember now. I've got a different 1600 now so maybe I'll try going back to 1.04 if you use Netflix and don't have problems.
post #2021 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by milou6 View Post

I have both the 2550 and the 1600, and I may just be lucky but I have never had a problem with any disc unless it was dirty or damaged.

Animated and family films from Netflix invariably have a layer of "sticky kid" on them that needs to be wiped or washed off.

My only issues with the 1600 are a loud fan -- not horribly loud, but I can hear it -- and to be nitpicky the remote buttons are a little mushy, but I use a Harmony. It's not in my main viewing room so it doesn't get a ton of use, fyi, but my other Samsung is used every day.

milou6-do you see any difference in the PQ when watching standard DVDs between the 2550 and the 1600? I was between those two units back when I got the 1600. The 2550 had the Reon chip which kinda made me want to go that route but I ended up just getting the 1600 and have always wondered if I made a mistake.

I watch more DVDs than BDs. I really got the 1600 for the Netflix and Pandora than the BD part of it as dumb as that may sound to some. If Roku had had Pandora back then I would have gotten one of those for $99 and kept my Sony BD350.
post #2022 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

MrHT do you use Netflix instant viewing? I use that and Pandora and it seems to me I had problems with 1.04 but I can't remember now. I've got a different 1600 now so maybe I'll try going back to 1.04 if you use Netflix and don't have problems.

No I don't. So I can't say how well the streaming works with that firmware. All I know is that Blu-ray playback is way more stable with 1.04 than any of the 2.XX firmwares.
post #2023 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

milou6-do you see any difference in the PQ when watching standard DVDs between the 2550 and the 1600? I was between those two units back when I got the 1600. The 2550 had the Reon chip which kinda made me want to go that route but I ended up just getting the 1600 and have always wondered if I made a mistake.

I watch more DVDs than BDs. I really got the 1600 for the Netflix and Pandora than the BD part of it as dumb as that may sound to some. If Roku had had Pandora back then I would have gotten one of those for $99 and kept my Sony BD350.

I watch half of my shows and movies over Netflix streaming, so you bet I understand your decision making! As to upscaling, yes, I'm afraid there is a noticeable difference to my eyes. But that's on a big set -- 52" in my main room. The 1600 does a good job, though, just not as stellar as the Reon in 25x0. Well-encoded DVDs that aren't overly compressed look pretty good on the 1600, so don't kick yourself.
post #2024 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I'm finally going to join the complaining bandwagon but for different reasons. Namely the 'upcoming 3D Blu Ray player that is going to replace the current format while it was just starting to take off..............' F*****g unbelievable I've only had this player for about 5 months and looking at the current news coming out of CES 2010- it looks like the new format will be 3D starting this year. I know!!! I know!!! It probably won't be adopted by the mainstream right away but knowing in the back of your mind that it will be soon is almost the same thing. Don't get me started on my barely 1 year old Sammy PN50A650 plasma display I guess I should head over to that thread to continue venting my frustrations.............

So you're upset that you purchased this year's tech and the manufacturers are coming out with new tech next year?
post #2025 of 3602
I should also note that while watch UP, I heard the player loading occasionally (same thing with my RATATOUILLE disc). But this loading sound didn't stop the movie from playing flawlessly, probably because it has to load the next scene of the movie but the player buffers it so no pause is there. Kind of like layer changing on DVDs. So, maybe the 2.XX firmwares are not reading ahead properly to give the player enough time to load. So it pauses.
post #2026 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I'm finally going to join the complaining bandwagon but for different reasons. Namely the 'upcoming 3D Blu Ray player that is going to replace the current format while it was just starting to take off..............' F*****g unbelievable I've only had this player for about 5 months and looking at the current news coming out of CES 2010- it looks like the new format will be 3D starting this year. I know!!! I know!!! It probably won't be adopted by the mainstream right away but knowing in the back of your mind that it will be soon is almost the same thing. Don't get me started on my barely 1 year old Sammy PN50A650 plasma display I guess I should head over to that thread to continue venting my frustrations.............

Yeah, I remember how mad I was in 1964 when I just bought a new black & white TV, and darn it if NBC didn't go an announce their entire fall 1965 was going to be in color. If there was an Internet, I would have posted a complaint! Stupid technology advancement. My buggy whips are in perfectly good shape!
post #2027 of 3602
Just like Blu-ray is backwards compatible with DVDs.......3D-Blu-ray will be backwards compatible with 2D Blu-ray and DVDs. So, this "current format" isn't going anywhere. And just because it's announced, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be successful or hit mainstream right away.

And maybe the 1600 can be updated to play 3D blu-ray. The PS3 has that ability, so maybe some select standalones will have this ability as well.
post #2028 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

The only thing I know of is Maximum Movie Mode on the Warner discs. Never tried them but that's what I heard. That's one of Samsung's main reason for releasing the 2.XX firmwares. But IMHO....you gain more than you lose with Version 1.04. And besides, the maximum movie mode videos can be viewed individually on the special features menu so it's not like you're missing out on much.

Ok, installed firmware 1.04 and Harry Potter and Half Blood Prince still intermitantly freezes while bringing up the main menu. Do I need to install the usb version 2x or is that just for the cd version?
post #2029 of 3602
Hmm. One install should do the trick. Interesting. 1.04 fixed my freezing on other movies I had problems with. Thought maybe it might've worked here. I have never tried Harry Potter tho. Red Z was right when he said Blu-ray always has some new adventure for us. Coincidentally, Harry Potter & the HBP is next on my queue. Should get it by next week. Will let you know then if I have issues….
post #2030 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

So you're upset that you purchased this year's tech and the manufacturers are coming out with new tech next year?

LOL! I agree. Wrong hobby if this is going to bug you that much. I hate it too but its the nature of the beast. New features in the new models or seeing the one you bought when it new being sold for close to half less than a year later.
post #2031 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

No I don't. So I can't say how well the streaming works with that firmware. All I know is that Blu-ray playback is way more stable with 1.04 than any of the 2.XX firmwares.

Thanks for the response MrHT. I guess we all just have to figure out whats most important to us individually and then chose the firmware that works the best for that aspect of the machine. Hopefully they can a firmware that works well for all of us!
post #2032 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahedgpe View Post

Ok, installed firmware 1.04 and Harry Potter and Half Blood Prince still intermitantly freezes while bringing up the main menu. Do I need to install the usb version 2x or is that just for the cd version?

FWIW I watched HP and the HBP on Blu Ray from netflix last week on my 1600 with no problem at all.

Edit-I have the latest firmware (2.05?) installed.
post #2033 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyask View Post

I think ive come to the realization that this Player sucks monkey balls when Playing regular DVDs. The upscaling is just horrible.. any one else notice this !?

I just got this player and regular DVD's are taking it in the rear with this player...gonna get a blue-ray disc tomorrow and see what that looks like
post #2034 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mullen View Post

FWIW I watched HP and the HBP on Blu Ray from netflix last week on my 1600 with no problem at all.

Edit-I have the latest firmware (2.05?) installed.

What settings are you using in the 1600's menu for your audio and video? Also, the rental BD that you watched, does it have the popup menu with all the extras or is it the one that just has 2 options on it. The reason I am asking is I also rented a BD or HP and the HBP that does not have the popup menu on it (the disc was just grey/silver instead of having the graphics on it) and it loaded fine every time, but the BD that has the picture of HP on it will intermitantly freeze while loading the main menu.
post #2035 of 3602
Forgvive me if this has been asked before but my search of the thread did not reveal an answer. I have a Harmony remote and am trying to program it to use a separate Power On command instead of PowerToggle. Does anyone know if there is a separate Power On or Power Off code/command for this player?
post #2036 of 3602
I've have my 1600 for approx. 3 weeks. Rented Four Christmases from Blockbuster (rental version, no extra BD features) and it played fine. I get Transformers-Revenge of the Fallen; and Angels & Demons from NetFlix. (both are full feature BD versions)
Neither of them play...the 1600 will "load", but when it goes to "Play" mode, it gives me the "Can't play disc" message, and spits them back out.

I dowloaded and installed the 2.05 Firmware via USB Flash, but that did not fix the problem either. I called Customer Service, and all they wanted to do is send me a DVD version of a firmware update. I asked if this was different than the 2.05 that is on the Samsumg support website, and she couldn't answer that question (go figure). So, in 3-10 business days, I'm anxiously awaiting a miracle DVD firmware update. (sigh)

Has anyone else had this experience, and did the Firmware DVD actually fix the issue?
post #2037 of 3602
I got both of these players on boxing day and need to choose one.

Anyone have any thoughts on Samsung 1600 vs BDP560? Samsung is a very highly rated player but I'm wondering if I'll be losing out on features that the sony has?

Thoughts anyone?
post #2038 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmo34 View Post

Forgvive me if this has been asked before but my search of the thread did not reveal an answer. I have a Harmony remote and am trying to program it to use a separate Power On command instead of PowerToggle. Does anyone know if there is a separate Power On or Power Off code/command for this player?

Unfortunately, the player does not have discrete on/off codes. However, what I did was to allow the machine to turn on when I open the tray, and I then programmed a macro to turn it off, consisting of two commands: Play, and Power.

The Play command will turn the player on if it's not already on. The Power will then turn it off. This makes sure it gets turned off.

Hope this helps.
post #2039 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlight75 View Post

I've have my 1600 for approx. 3 weeks. Rented Four Christmases from Blockbuster (rental version, no extra BD features) and it played fine. I get Transformers-Revenge of the Fallen; and Angels & Demons from NetFlix. (both are full feature BD versions)
Neither of them play...the 1600 will "load", but when it goes to "Play" mode, it gives me the "Can't play disc" message, and spits them back out.

I dowloaded and installed the 2.05 Firmware via USB Flash, but that did not fix the problem either. I called Customer Service, and all they wanted to do is send me a DVD version of a firmware update. I asked if this was different than the 2.05 that is on the Samsumg support website, and she couldn't answer that question (go figure). So, in 3-10 business days, I'm anxiously awaiting a miracle DVD firmware update. (sigh)

Has anyone else had this experience, and did the Firmware DVD actually fix the issue?

I have version 2.05 and watched Transformers on Blu Ray disk(rental from Blockbuster) and didn't have any problems. Have ANgels & Demons BluRay disk (rental) & just popped it in. Came up fine... other than the annoying fact I can't go straight to the disk menu.
post #2040 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

Unfortunately, the player does not have discrete on/off codes. However, what I did was to allow the machine to turn on when I open the tray, and I then programmed a macro to turn it off, consisting of two commands: Play, and Power.

The Play command will turn the player on if it's not already on. The Power will then turn it off. This makes sure it gets turned off.

Hope this helps.

Mark, so if I understand you correctly.. rather than having my Harmony turn on the player, I should just have it "Play", and that way it would not turn it off if it was already on(which is what has been happening to me) and would turn on if not on already?
If so, how do I make it so my Watch Movie activity doesn't turn on the Blu Ray player(ie. send the Power Toggle command)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-P1600 Owners/master thread