or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-P1600 Owners/master thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung BD-P1600 Owners/master thread - Page 12

post #331 of 3602
I have no attitude whatsoever. What I have is this little thing like having a forum recommended to me to get answers, asking what I thought was a really simple question, and having that question ignored. Thanks to those who've now responded and provided information - all I was really looking for. And thanks for explaining how it works here. What's not appreciated is someone telling me to go call Samsung or to ask my salesman. Why have this forum at all if THAT is the "attitude?"

Anyway, thanks again for the good information.
post #332 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Why have this forum at all if THAT is the "attitude?"

Dude, nobody gets paid to answer questions here, yet you demand an answer like you're a VIP? Sounds like a little attitude there to me. I admit my response was crude, but I think it's true. Who better to ask EXACTLY how BD-Wise works than a Samsung tech? I have the 1600, but I don't have a Samsung set, so I don't give a rat's ass what BD-Wise does. I know that 1080p24 is the best my set can do so I want nothing less from the player. If you can't understand why this place exists because you yourself have yet to find out the real answer to your original "simple" question then...
post #333 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo510 View Post

Dude, nobody gets paid to answer questions here, yet you demand an answer like you're a VIP? Sounds like a little attitude there to me. I admit my response was crude, but I think it's true. Who better to ask EXACTLY how BD-Wise works than a Samsung tech? I have the 1600, but I don't have a Samsung set, so I don't give a rat's ass what BD-Wise does. I know that 1080p24 is the best my set can do so I want nothing less from the player. If you can't understand why this place exists because you yourself have yet to find out the real answer to your original "simple" question then...

Bamboo, I think you are being a little tough on Haines. I didn't take his inpatience to get an answer a problem as an attitude problem. I share in his frustration about many issues and not getting answers, too. As far as calling Samsung is concerned, unless you can get to a level 2 Technician, the answers you get from them are frequently wrong. Frankly, I usually get more help from the people here who live with these machines, rather than techs who are reading from some prepared trouble shooting material, material that is often missing an answer to the problem. For example, I recently called Samsung about my B750 and not being able to download a new firmware update directly to my TV, which other new owners have downloaded. Everytime my TV attempted to connect to the server, it said "connection failed". The Samsung level 2 tech told me that there are no such new firmware updates. When I asked on the forum about my difficulties, I was told that Samsung's server was down and that's why I couldn't connect. Within 24 hours, I was able to connect my TV to the server and download the new firmware that the Samsung tech said didn''t exist.

I have questions, too, that I have posted here recently, and have had no answers. Recently, I asked why the Samsung 1600 doesn't have features found in most regular DVD players, such as frame advance, time remaining, and zoom?
Do other Blu-ray players have these features? So far nobody has answered. Is it because of the nature of Blu-ray, that these features are not included in all Blu-ray players, or is it just something missing with Samsung?
post #334 of 3602
The 1600 does have frame advance. Just press Pause, then press Pause again for each frame you want to go forward. I'm used to that method, since it worked on everything I owned, back to VCRs even.

As for Zoom, I can see why they would -want- to leave such a feature out. Most people will get it stuck on the wrong setting, and with Blu-ray you probably have a 16:9 TV, so that is all there is to it. There is enough useless zoom modes on my Samsung TV already to cycle it back to Just Scan when it gets changed. I've never had a problem with a improperly scaled DVD or Blu-Ray. They either fill the entire screen, or some are pillarboxed if they are 4:3. I think a few 2:35:1 discs were still letterboxed as well.

Time remaining? No idea, I guess it is useful, more so if you are playing Audio CDs, but you get time in and total time when you pause.
post #335 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post

The 1600 does have frame advance. Just press Pause, then press Pause again for each frame you want to go forward. I'm used to that method, since it worked on everything I owned, back to VCRs even.

As for Zoom, I can see why they would -want- to leave such a feature out. Most people will get it stuck on the wrong setting, and with Blu-ray you probably have a 16:9 TV, so that is all there is to it. There is enough useless zoom modes on my Samsung TV already to cycle it back to Just Scan when it gets changed. I've never had a problem with a improperly scaled DVD or Blu-Ray. They either fill the entire screen, or some are pillarboxed if they are 4:3. I think a few 2:35:1 discs were still letterboxed as well.

Time remaining? No idea, I guess it is useful, more so if you are playing Audio CDs, but you get time in and total time when you pause.

Thanks for the suggestion with repetitive pauses. I will try that. It still doesn't let you move backwards one frame at a time; just forward. I really miss the ability to joggle back and forth to the exact spot in a movie, like I can with my old panasonic LX9 DVD player. I checked with BB and they say no Blu-ray let's you do that, but there will be a new Sony model coming out that is supposed to have that feature.

I didn't notice Total time on the disk when pressing pause; only the time so far run. I guess that is one way of figuring the time remaining. I will play with pause again when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help.
post #336 of 3602
OK, I'm a bit confused. Just got this player the other day, having an issue now. I know it decodes all the audio, but I thought it also bitstreams it too. I set it up right in the menu but it's not bitstreaming. I have an Onkyo 606, and it should be able to bitstream, so my question is, is this player bitstreaming from the box or do I need to update the firmware?
post #337 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

Bamboo, I think you are being a little tough on Haines.

Maybe, maybe not. I've had a lot of questions in the little time I've been here, and as you see by my post count I don't ask a lot, because I search...I've had a question go unanswered in this thread also, but I didn't feel the need to wave a flag that my question is simple and it should've been answered because somebody who asked a question after me already got an answer, lol.
post #338 of 3602
post #339 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmlm13 View Post

OK, I'm a bit confused. Just got this player the other day, having an issue now. I know it decodes all the audio, but I thought it also bitstreams it too. I set it up right in the menu but it's not bitstreaming. I have an Onkyo 606, and it should be able to bitstream, so my question is, is this player bitstreaming from the box or do I need to update the firmware?

I've got the 1600 with a 606 also. It's bitstreaming with no problems. Make sure your "Listening Modes" in your 606's setup are assigned correctly. It's hard to tell but there are 2 pages on the setup page, you have to scroll down under the Dolby Digital, DTS options and you'll see more options for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc...You also have to setup the "Listening Mode" for each input on the 606. There is no firmware update for the 1600 as of today.
post #340 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

Bamboo, I think you are being a little tough on Haines. I didn't take his inpatience to get an answer a problem as an attitude problem. I share in his frustration about many issues and not getting answers, too. As far as calling Samsung is concerned, unless you can get to a level 2 Technician, the answers you get from them are frequently wrong. Frankly, I usually get more help from the people here who live with these machines, rather than techs who are reading from some prepared trouble shooting material, material that is often missing an answer to the problem. For example, I recently called Samsung about my B750 and not being able to download a new firmware update directly to my TV, which other new owners have downloaded. Everytime my TV attempted to connect to the server, it said "connection failed". The Samsung level 2 tech told me that there are no such new firmware updates. When I asked on the forum about my difficulties, I was told that Samsung's server was down and that's why I couldn't connect. Within 24 hours, I was able to connect my TV to the server and download the new firmware that the Samsung tech said didn''t exist.

I have questions, too, that I have posted here recently, and have had no answers. Recently, I asked why the Samsung 1600 doesn't have features found in most regular DVD players, such as frame advance, time remaining, and zoom?
Do other Blu-ray players have these features? So far nobody has answered. Is it because of the nature of Blu-ray, that these features are not included in all Blu-ray players, or is it just something missing with Samsung?

Whew, I thought it was just me. Bamboo, dear, just move along - there's no "maybe, maybe not" - you were both rude AND harsh. And young, I have no doubt - dude.
post #341 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Whew, I thought it was just me. Bamboo, dear, just move along - there's no "maybe, maybe not" - you were both rude AND harsh. And young, I have no doubt - dude.

Yeah dude (or dudette?), 33 years young. I'll move right along to finally utilize my ignore list. Talk about getting butt hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

Try going back to where you purchased the 1600 and ask them to train you and answer your questions. They got your money so I'd think if anyone you'd have higher expectations from then to earn it rather than complain about a place the info you receive is free from people just trying to help in their spare time.

BTW haines, it wasn't me who told you to go back to the store, but it gave me a good laugh
post #342 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

I'm trying to watch something on Netflix that is HD. The quality bar only goes to about the middle and of course doesn't display HD. I got out of Netflix so the 1600 wouldn't be using any of my bandwidth then did an internet speed check using my providers speed check site and my internet speed is great.

Does the quality bar only affected by my internet or does Netflix's server have an effect on that also?

Maybe a little to late but it's your connection speed and not netflix's. You need 3.0mbps to get a full bar and stream HD without a problem.
post #343 of 3602
I purchased the 1600 from BB a couple days ago. BR playback is works fine but I can't connect to netflix even though the network test is fine. I have a 6 meg connection and wired ethernet but I'm not using a USB flash. I've tried the work around to no avail. Roku connects instantly with the wired or wireless and I have no playback issues with this. The reason I replaced my PS3 was because of the noise/heat issues and the 1600 passes this requirement with flying colors. I also have no 1080/24P which is a known issue with my projector's EDID. Evidently it won't force 24 frame playback. I can't connect to check for updates either. Any suggestions? Dave.
post #344 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Whew, I thought it was just me. Bamboo, dear, just move along - there's no "maybe, maybe not" - you were both rude AND harsh. And young, I have no doubt - dude.

I know your new to this site but some times you need to be patient. I feel your frustration as I have felt many times with new products that we don't understand or are defective for whatever reason. After all, we paid for the product and it should work. And just so you'll know this is the premier Audio/Video knowledge base in the world. Been here since it came online in 1999 and have found it to be the most in depth and complete reference for all consumer electronics. Welcome aboard. Dave.
post #345 of 3602
i dont like the way the 1600 makes you wait to go to disk menu. it seems like it wants you to watch the previews.
last night i watched the hulk sd. it loaded fine, but it would not go right to disc menu, also would not stop. just kept getting the red circle with the line in it. i thought it was the disc. but when i loaded it on the 1200, i could do whatever i wanted, so not the disc.
also the same if i turn on the 1600 when there is a disc in it. it will not stop, or go to set-up menu. is a real pain when i want to watch netflix. is it just my player?
post #346 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

i dont like the way the 1600 makes you wait to go to disk menu. it seems like it wants you to watch the previews.
last night i watched the hulk sd. it loaded fine, but it would not go right to disc menu, also would not stop. just kept getting the red circle with the line in it. i thought it was the disc. but when i loaded it on the 1200, i could do whatever i wanted, so not the disc.
also the same if i turn on the 1600 when there is a disc in it. it will not stop, or go to set-up menu. is a real pain when i want to watch netflix. is it just my player?

I just got mine hooked up, same issue, couldn't get around the previews, very annoying as there were about 5 on the disc I was trying to watch. Anyone have a fix to this?

Mine may have to go back, as previously posted by others I'm having problems with audio drops over toslink, haven't seen a fix for this posted yet either and makes movies unwatchable, I really want to keep this player, great picture, but it has to work!
post #347 of 3602
I've found some discs go right to the menu, some don't. The only way around the previews is the chapter button - just keep pressing it and you'll get to the menu in no time, unless it's a Disney disc and then you'll be pressing the chapter button about ten times.
post #348 of 3602
Usually for me, stop, then disc menu gets me right there. It doesn't let me press menu during the previews. I'm sure it is the discs and their PUOP settings.
post #349 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAyoFoolx View Post

Sweet deal from Amazon!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2731

That deal is awesome. Thanks.
post #350 of 3602
Does the 1600 play Divx? This is the only way I'll buy.
post #351 of 3602
I just picked one of these up and it seems to mostly work okay. Played "Deja-Vu" okay, netflix streaming works great. However I can not for the life of me make the Pandora work...When I go to Pandora in the menu, it shows the activation blurb. I activate on the Pandora site and then click okay on the screen and it drops to the menu. From then on, every time I hit Pandora is shows the logo, and the little loading dot animation on the bottom but just hangs there. Eventually I have to turn the player off (sometimes several times or waiting a while) before it will do anything after that.

It's not a network issue, because I went so far as to add a hub and attach my laptop to it. It can stream Pandora just fine on the same connection, and in sniffing the traffic I can clearly see the player successfully establishing an https connection to "tuner.pandora.com" and exchanging information. (Whoever thought my sysadmin skills would help me troubleshoot my home theater...)

Samsung support stumped, pandora support stumped. I even returned it so I'm on my second bit of hardware. It's probably not a deal-breaker, but at this point it's just bothering me that I can't figure out why it's not working...;-)

Anyone else run into this? I'm going to try to have Pandora remove the activation one more time and start a new account, maybe something is weird on their end with my existing one? If it works I'll post back. Thanks in advance.
post #352 of 3602
Does this player playback divx/xvid content off of dvds or usb drive?

Thanks.
post #353 of 3602
could someone please answer the question about playing divx files?

1. does it play divx from the optical drive?
2. does it play divx from the usb drive? (most important)
3. does it play h.264 content from the usb drive (would be great!)

i believe the 3600 answers yes to question 1 and 2, but i am guessing they both answer no to 3 (unfortunatly)...

could someone who has this player test it for us as i am sure there are many people wanting to know the answer before jumping on the amazon deal...

thanks a bunch! hoping to be the proud owner of a new 1600 soon!
post #354 of 3602
Well, I'm 0 for 2 with this player. I had the same issue with 2 different 1600's. Dark Knight, Wall-e and Taken both froze about one hour in. I could connect to the Internet but no Netflix with either. That coupled with no forced 24p means I will look elsewhere for a new player. The netflix isn't a huge deal because I already have a roku. Theres another dealer that's still has plenty of 2500's instock so I could go that route. Too bad as the 1600 is such a nice looking unit. Anyone else get a dud? I know it's not my pre/pro as the PS3 is fine. This really sucks.
post #355 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo510 View Post

Yeah dude (or dudette?), 33 years young. I'll move right along to finally utilize my ignore list. Talk about getting butt hurt!



BTW haines, it wasn't me who told you to go back to the store, but it gave me a good laugh

I was the one who said to go back to the store if you were not happy with the free help your getting here. I'm 38 and if you want to consider me young I'd be happy to hear it!!!

I'm just tired of people joining and complaining about the help they get. Like I said before at the time you had 6 post and more than half were you complaining about not being answered. I'm sure that average hasn't improved much since.

Helping you isn't the job or responsibility of anyone on here. When the right person gets on who knows the answer and reads your question he/she will answer them. Be patient. If you want an answer right now then call Samsung or go to where you purchased the unit because those are the parties that have a financial gain in all this and in my eyes have an obligation to help you quickly. Members of the AVS forum do not.

As was stated before by another member--RTFM. I don't have a Samsung TV so BD wise isn't anything I'd ever use so why would I or anyone else take the time to RTFM just to answer your question when you won't do it for yourself?

Sorry all for my rant. I'm no expert on A/V equipment and I'm sure I've asked dumb questions myself so thats not the issue here. Its someone complaining hours after they ask a question that nobody has answered yet because they want to be spoon-fed.
post #356 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbb View Post

could someone please answer the question about playing divx files?

1. does it play divx from the optical drive?
2. does it play divx from the usb drive? (most important)
3. does it play h.264 content from the usb drive (would be great!)

i believe the 3600 answers yes to question 1 and 2, but i am guessing they both answer no to 3 (unfortunatly)...

could someone who has this player test it for us as i am sure there are many people wanting to know the answer before jumping on the amazon deal...

thanks a bunch! hoping to be the proud owner of a new 1600 soon!

the divx playback question is what's keeping me from buying this player too. After searching through the manual, it says nothing about divx playback. But there was a review on a UK site that says their 1600 played divx files from USB. I guess it'll stay a mystery until I try it out myself.
post #357 of 3602
Before I give up, is anyone here have Netflix working over a wired ethernet connection without having a USB plugged in? I was told you need a USB drive for Netflix.
post #358 of 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

Before I give up, is anyone here have Netflix working over a wired ethernet connection without having a USB plugged in? I was told you need a USB drive for Netflix.

Yep. You don't need a USB stick to use netflix, just BD live. Netflix is brilliant on this player.
post #359 of 3602
I purchased a bd-p1600 and the bottom parts of the player get extremely hot, and some blu ray disks that I play will skip randomly and I can hear something going on with the disk when it pauses/skips like it is seeking.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Do you think I have a faulty player? There are about 1.5 inches between this blu ray player and the device below, and I can feel air coming out of the back of the device like a fan is running.
post #360 of 3602
Hello jd, got my 1600 Sat. and after I read your post I watched a movie for about 45 minutes to an hour. Didn't get any skipping but boy does it get hot, and I mean very hot. Put my hand on it and for just a few seconds and almost could have gotten a blister. Just wondering if this could harm the player, or maybe the disc itself? By the way, like you said it is on the bottom. The fan is working but seems to be just warm air coming out, not hot.I don't think this is normal.By the way, the player sits in an open area with nothing above or below, just the shelf it sits on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-P1600 Owners/master thread