or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › 96khz blu rays
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

96khz blu rays

post #1 of 165
Thread Starter 
just a question, sorry if it has been asked (did search)


why so few titles mastered in dtsma, or true-hd 96khz, and any info if more will be coming..?


thanks
post #2 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger View Post

just a question, sorry if it has been asked (did search)


why so few titles mastered in dtsma, or true-hd 96khz, and any info if more will be coming..?


thanks

Because (almost) no movies are mastered at 96Khz.

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds is 96Khz.
post #3 of 165
is 96khz better?/???
post #4 of 165
Theoretically, yes. You need a very good setup to be able to tell the difference though.
post #5 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

is 96khz better?/???

Yes if you have a nice setup and ears to hear it.

That is the catch though. Just five years ago I could hear the difference but those intervening years have not been so kind so now I cannot discern the improvement versus say 48khz. Had an examination a few years ago and they said I had phenomenal hearing, especially in comparison to my peer group.

Best Regards
KvE


PS Above all else the quality of the mix is more important than the sample frequency beyond 44-48khz.
post #6 of 165
The Police Certifiable disc is 24/96 Dolby TrueHD.
post #7 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

is 96khz better?/???

Actually 96/16 (with noise shaping) would be a better choice than 48/24. However 24-bit is better for editing.
post #8 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensonor View Post

The Police Certifiable disc is 24/96 Dolby TrueHD.


I am a Police fan and enjoy SACD's and DVD audio as well as BD's with excellent audio like Chris Botti. Police: Certifiable is a huge disappointment. The bass is overpowering and makes the entire BD sound muddy. I could be wrong, but I can't help thinking it is the mix post processing that screwed it up and not the recording of the concert itself. I have never returned or bitched about something like this, but I am pissed. What a bummer. The studio will be hearing from me.
post #9 of 165
within temptation is 96kHz as well
post #10 of 165
Tinnitus sucks.
post #11 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Tinnitus sucks.

Yes it does. >:{ !!!!

Best Regards
KvE
post #12 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Yes it does. >:{ !!!!

Best Regards
KvE

What's worse is that I only have it in one ear. I try to ignore it, but according to the ear specialist I went to there's no known cause/cure. Too much blasting of the Walkman headphones in my younger days. Oh well...
post #13 of 165
why stop at 96,,,wouldnt it be great if movies were 192k for all channels? I would double dip for that.
post #14 of 165
John Mayer is 24/96
post #15 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

why stop at 96,,,wouldnt it be great if movies were 192k for all channels? I would double dip for that.

Akira has a Japanese Dolby TrueHD 5.1 ch 192/24track.
post #16 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

why stop at 96,,,wouldnt it be great if movies were 192k for all channels? I would double dip for that.

There is no audible benefit in upping the audio bandwith from 45kHz to 90kHz.

There are no AV amplifiers capable to do dsp processing at 192kHz. A nice double dip to start with.

Why not burn your money? At least you get some heat.
post #17 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

What's worse is that I only have it in one ear. I try to ignore it, but according to the ear specialist I went to there's no known cause/cure. Too much blasting of the Walkman headphones in my younger days. Oh well...

Check out the American Tinnitus Association's site @ www.ata.org

I have suffered for 20 plus years with tinnitus and have learned to cope with it. There are treatments to retrain your ears to eliminate the ringing and also some herbal supplements out there as well. I've not tried any of these solutions but just wanted to pass along that there are indeed things you can do to ease the condition. Most doctors have no clue and just tell people they have to live with it.

Chris
post #18 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post

Theoretically, yes. You need a very good setup to be able to tell the difference though.

I categorically disagree. This sort of thinking killed DVD-A and it's nearly the end for SACD. I could tell the difference on a weak Sony AVR with the audio going through a crappy Toshiba DVD player.

It's not what you hear as much as what you're missing with the lower sample rates- it's just not captured. I can pick out the sound of a stick hitting a cymbal. I challenge anybody to discern that on a CD, or, worse, an MP3. IMO, a lot of people believe this w/out ever hearing it in the first place. And for what it's worth, I'm 42 and my wife insists I'm nearly deaf.
post #19 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

There is no audible benefit in upping the audio bandwith from 45kHz to 90kHz.

There are no amplifiers capable to do processing at 192kHz. A nice double dip to start with.

Not so. There are several that will.
post #20 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

There are no amplifiers capable to do processing at 192kHz. A nice double dip to start with.

This is just completely inaccurate. 1st, amplifiers do not function in the digital domain, but analog. Pre-amps and processors function digitally, and many do in fact process at 192KHz and do D-A conversion at 192.
Quote:


There is no audible benefit in upping the audio bandwith from 45kHz to 90kHz.

This statement conflicts with a number of double-blind studies which show that a fairly high percentage of people do hear a difference.
post #21 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Above all else the quality of the mix is more important than the sample frequency beyond 44-48khz.

I agree with this 100%.
post #22 of 165
'Roy Orbison: Black & White Night' is DTS-HD MA 96/24 on BD.
post #23 of 165
[quote= Above all else the quality of the mix is more important than the sample frequency beyond 44-48khz.[/QUOTE]

amen to that. the akira soundtrack at 192/24 is amazing, and i love it. but i'd say that blade runner is the superior sonic experience, even at a technically inferior 48/16. the mix on the br disc was just so sublime and brilliantly done.
post #24 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGonk View Post

amen to that. the akira soundtrack at 192/24 is amazing, and i love it. but i'd say that blade runner is the superior sonic experience, even at a technically inferior 48/16. the mix on the br disc was just so sublime and brilliantly done.

I'll agree that sampling rate bows to quality mix... but I dunno about Blade Runner being better than Akira, it's pretty close... Blade Runner still has plenty of distorted sound effects from the original that are on that track that feel distinctly lower quality. (For some reason, there's a slew of them in the chase down of Zhora.)

Both are great for older films though. (Despite some of my misgivings about messing with original sound effects) Actually, forget the older films line, they both sound great period.
post #25 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I am a Police fan and enjoy SACD's and DVD audio as well as BD's with excellent audio like Chris Botti. Police: Certifiable is a huge disappointment. The bass is overpowering and makes the entire BD sound muddy. I could be wrong, but I can't help thinking it is the mix post processing that screwed it up and not the recording of the concert itself. I have never returned or bitched about something like this, but I am pissed. What a bummer. The studio will be hearing from me.

While I respect your opinion, I very much disagree with this, infact the bass mix on this disc is one of the few that gets it right IMO. Do you have your sub eq'd? (the reason I ask is because in my review of this title I mentioned that those who were running their subs hot and/or un-eq'd would probably find the bass too much) I have my subs eq'd flat and running even with the mains and the bass is "perfect" on this Police Certifiable mix to my ears. Not only that but it is not muddy in any way. The guitar, drums and vocals are mixed at a perfect level compared to the bass as well which all comes together for one of the best concert mixes on BR IMO.
post #26 of 165
My ears hear up to 16khz... needless to say, I hear no benefit.
post #27 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

My ears hear up to 16khz... needless to say, I hear no benefit.

At 16Khz you get 1.5 samples per second with 48Khz and with 96Khz you get 6. This in theory can translate into a more accurate and detailed representation of the sound wave. Also with 96Khz you can push the noise into a higher frequency band since there is more room at the top.
post #28 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

At 16Khz you get 1.5 samples per second with 48Khz and with 96Khz you get 6. This in theory can translate into a more accurate and detailed representation of the sound wave. Also with 96Khz you can push the noise into a higher frequency band since there is more room at the top.

And the more room at the top, all things considered being equal and accurate, seems to translate to me being able to push higher volume levels with less distortion. SACD's and BD's seem to allow me to really push volume levels and not have a harsh sound like lower bitrate/hz recordings when they are played at high levels.
post #29 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

While I respect your opinion, I very much disagree with this, infact the bass mix on this disc is one of the few that gets it right IMO. Do you have your sub eq'd? (the reason I ask is because in my review of this title I mentioned that those who were running their subs hot and/or un-eq'd would probably find the bass too much) I have my subs eq'd flat and running even with the mains and the bass is "perfect" on this Police Certifiable mix to my ears. Not only that but it is not muddy in any way. The guitar, drums and vocals are mixed at a perfect level compared to the bass as well which all comes together for one of the best concert mixes on BR IMO.

I do run my sub hot, but I think the biggest reason for my disappointment was I listened to Elton 60 live at MSG prior to Certifiable. I have just listened to Certifiable and I do have to eat crow Toe. <---that ain't right! It does sound good with sub turned down a bit. I have eq'd my system with my Denon 4308/Audyssey. I also did turn off dynamic eq and that seemed to help. Maybe I should try Audyssey flat or off. What say you?
post #30 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

...SACD's...seem to allow me to really push volume levels and not have a harsh sound like lower bitrate/hz recordings when they are played at high levels.

It's not possible to get a lower bit rate recording than what's on SA-CD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › 96khz blu rays