or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Audio Tier Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Tier Thread - Page 3  

post #61 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Well explosion and more active surround mixing are the only real differences between concert titles. And I assumed you meant no concert titles can sound as good as the ref movies as you said "I'm certain concerts don't measure up" which is different from "Certain concerts don't measure up"

Some of the best concert titles can give your system just as good a workout as any of the movies in the ref tier, and others just have jaw dropping clarity and accuracy that you just never get.

I think that one might of been at me.

Definately
post #62 of 1353
It was indeed meant for shadow. We should take a vote on whether concerts should be listed seperately. I'm in for seperate listings.
post #63 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post


I think that one might of been at me.

Whooops! my bad


Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

It was indeed meant for shadow. We should take a vote on whether concerts should be listed seperately. I'm in for seperate listings.

Well I am an idiot!

I am up for concerts listed seperately as well. I could actualy go either way, but I think seperate listings would elimate these issues.
post #64 of 1353
Heads up on compiling a list from votes from the old threads. I've already begun work on it (taking a little break from studying), and so far got up to 26 pages. Underworld's vote is as follows so far from reference to T5: 2:2:1:1:0:0:0. How would that rank? Pan's Labyrinth (1:0:0:0:0:0:0) is in the running for reference? Only time will tell if it really is (votes from pages after 26).
post #65 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Whatever works for you guys, works for me.




I will get some work on the list in tonight.


Also, would you guys like me to go into the old thread, and accumulate all of votes on titles already ranked, or is it ok if I basically start from 0 from where they currently are, and if they accumulate new votes, which would move it, I just move it accordingly?

I have a feeling that not all votes were counted in the old thread, so if you wanna do it, it will be appreciated, but I won't blame you if you find that too tedious, I would, so it's up to you, thanks again.
post #66 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

This is my issue with the 80% vote thing. Not to sound like a jerk, but some recommendation just don't make sense, like knocking Speed Racer to tier 3 for no lossless.

Speed Racer should have been moved but never did in the old thread. I think we both ranked it to Tier 1.
If you have suggestion for the reference tier placement criteria this is the time to make a recommendation. It's not carved into stone yet.
I also have some issues with some of the titles, but we can revisit those later.
post #67 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike View Post

Heads up on compiling a list from votes from the old threads. I've already begun work on it (taking a little break from studying), and so far got up to 26 pages. Underworld's vote is as follows so far from reference to T5: 2:2:1:1:0:0:0. How would that rank? Pan's Labyrinth (1:0:0:0:0:0:0) is in the running for reference? Only time will tell if it really is (votes from pages after 26).

Underworld is in Tier 1, and those votes seems to confirm it. [I rated it tier 2]
Pan is clearly a Tier 0 based on your tally.
post #68 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

...Skid you said you were a big Foo fan, was the sound consistent with how their albums usually sound?

Shadow,
It was close. I feel that their albums have at least a bit more of that "rich... full... power sound (the description in my review). It's a good question. Because in general, I would say "Foo Fighters: Live at Wembley Stadium" BR is fairly representative of their albums.

Please note, when comparing albums I'm not including any of their SACD/DVD-A releases (if there are any).

Skid
post #69 of 1353
Step Brothers (Dolby TrueHD) - Tier 3 (currently ranked in Tier 3)
Watched this movie last night, and I agree with the placement of this film. Dialogue was hard to hear at times, and I constantly found myself reaching for the remote to turn it up and hear what was being said. There are no true "action" sequences to note, so there is very little use of LFE. Surrounds were rarely heard or used. A disappointing audio track, and honestly, a disappointing movie. A few friends of mine said it was Ferrell's funniest...I disagree.
post #70 of 1353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Fanatacilism, when I suggested listing 7.1 for those movies, I was referring only to that. If the reviewer lists that a movie is 7.1 then you could list this in the tier list on the first page. No need to change tiers or link to anything just because it is a 7.1 track.

I, like plenty of others here, have a 7.1 system at home so I know that a lot of us may want to know when a movie is reference, tier 0, etc. that it is a 7.1 track.

I also don't believe that you need to go back and tally the votes from the previous thread as that is a lot to sift through. You have a link to the old thread already so you can go back to it if needed because of some dispute with placement.

Are you sorry you volunteered to mod this thread yet?

Never! Just getting my bearings is all.
post #71 of 1353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I have a feeling that not all votes were counted in the old thread, so if you wanna do it, it will be appreciated, but I won't blame you if you find that too tedious, I would, so it's up to you, thanks again.

I'll start from here lol.
post #72 of 1353
why the new thread???

and i agree with seperating concerts
post #73 of 1353
The Police Certifiable
Tier 1
Sounds compressed to me. Dave & Tim are head of the concert class.
post #74 of 1353
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewing1043 View Post

why the new thread???

and i agree with seperating concerts

Because the old one was no longer being updated.
post #75 of 1353
Amadeus (Dolby THD) Tier1

While this is a film the music plays a far more important role here then usual, so it's tough to rate it with the usual criteria. There is no bass here that will even remotely challenge your sub, or elaborate surround sound. But it isn't a concert film either. What we have here is very well recorded music of Mozart that gives quiet a pleasure for people who likes the genre[me included]. I own the SE DVD which I never thought did justice for this movie at least as far the music score. The rest is well done as well. always crisp dialog, well balanced follies with good dynamics featured on some of the crescendos . A must for fans.
post #76 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Because the old one was no longer being updated.

ok

watched "wanted" last night and WOW
the surrounds were being used perfectly
bass was awsome
and great use of music in the movie

and the movie itself was great also
post #77 of 1353
Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre

someone really needs to come up with a criteria for rating these movies..

I really can't beleive "Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre " isn't rated reference..I'm begining to think when it comes to concert BD it's all about what music you guys like rather than what BD has to offer.

At the very MINIMUM the BDs have to challenge our systems..
Some dude playing guitar and vocals only should NEVER be considered reference.
Yeah I said NEVER
lets hear some horns maybe some strings lets hear the high-hat..
How about a broad range of sounds

I'll admit I haven't listend to DAVE MATTHEWS & TIM REYNOLDS: "(and I really doubt I ever)" will but I did watch David Gilmour: Remember That Night.
Chicago&EWF if atleast a full teir above Gimore..
And for the record..Chicago&EWF worked the full range of my system.. Every speaker was pushed .. the sound was clear, vocals were excellent..I could even hear one of the alto players strike his key pads.. the HORNS WERE EXCELLENT..( I play both the sax and flute)
BD worked my Sub harder than Most the movies listed in reference ..I would say ALL of them but I haven't seen MASTER & COMMANDERMAX PAYNE

I suggest
Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre be move to reference
and more importantly someone come up with a format to rate these BD's
post #78 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokebrother View Post

Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre

someone really needs to come up with a criteria for rating these movies..

I really can't beleive "Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre " isn't rated reference..I'm begining to think when it comes to concert BD it's all about what music you guys like rather than what BD has to offer.

At the very MINIMUM the BDs have to challenge our systems..
Some dude playing guitar and vocals only should NEVER be considered reference.
Yeah I said NEVER
lets hear some horns maybe some strings lets hear the high-hat..
How about a broad range of sounds


Seems like you are the one dictating what type of music should be Reference Nobody else feels that way or has stated that. I am not a huge Nine Inch Nails fan but can appreciate the sound quality of their Blu-Ray.
post #79 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Amadeus (Dolby THD) Tier1

While this is a film the music plays a far more important role here then usual, so it's tough to rate it with the usual criteria. There is no bass here that will even remotely challenge your sub, or elaborate surround sound. But it isn't a concert film either. What we have here is very well recorded music of Mozart that gives quiet a pleasure for people who likes the genre[me included]. I own the SE DVD which I never thought did justice for this movie at least as far the music score. The rest is well done as well. always crisp dialog, well balanced follies with good dynamics featured on some of the crescendos . A must for fans.


Good to hear. I am going to watch this today.


Street Kings (DTS-MA) tier 1

Solid all around track for the most part. Dialog always loud and clear (I did not have any issues that a lot of people have had with the crackling sound. Must have got a good disc...), surround use is good for the most part and even a lot of the more quiet type scenes benefit. At a few points I had helicopters flying around my head which provided a very convincing sound stage and was well done. LFE support was fine, but nothing great much less exceptional. There were a few missed LFE spots I noticed one of which was a car crash that literally had almost no LFE which seemed very inappropriate. Other scenes seemed on the money though with the first gun battle scene (very convincing scene in general) and store shootout scene producing some great LFE that filled up the room pretty well. Music was strong in the mix and contained a lot of the bass in the film. LFE support got the job done (for the most part) but thats about it.
post #80 of 1353
Saw IV (DTS HD MA 7.1) Tier 0 .... Currently in Tier 0

Talking about a surround orgy, which this movie can benefit from no doubt. The mix is very artificial but that's what this film needs anyway to help you being transported to Jigsaw's creepy world and mindset. Bass is prodigious and dialog never gets drowned out. Sound effects had a very clear detailed sound, and the soundfield was just awesome. So why not reference? Well it did sounded familiar and recycled especially since it has 4 other installments, but plenty other horror films have this very same type of mix, that just don't stand out for me all that much. Still it's an excellent track/mix.
post #81 of 1353
Quote:


I suggest
Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre be move to reference
and more importantly someone come up with a format to rate these BD's

This is open for debate,so why not put forward your criteria of how you want concert BD rated?
post #82 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokebrother View Post

Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre

someone really needs to come up with a criteria for rating these movies..

I really can't beleive "Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre " isn't rated reference..I'm begining to think when it comes to concert BD it's all about what music you guys like rather than what BD has to offer.

At the very MINIMUM the BDs have to challenge our systems..
Some dude playing guitar and vocals only should NEVER be considered reference.
Yeah I said NEVER
lets hear some horns maybe some strings lets hear the high-hat..
How about a broad range of sounds

I'll admit I haven't listend to DAVE MATTHEWS & TIM REYNOLDS: "(and I really doubt I ever)" will but I did watch David Gilmour: Remember That Night.
Chicago&EWF if atleast a full teir above Gimore..
And for the record..Chicago&EWF worked the full range of my system.. Every speaker was pushed .. the sound was clear, vocals were excellent..I could even hear one of the alto players strike his key pads.. the HORNS WERE EXCELLENT..( I play both the sax and flute)
BD worked my Sub harder than Most the movies listed in reference ..I would say ALL of them but I haven't seen MASTER & COMMANDERMAX PAYNE

I suggest
Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre be move to reference
and more importantly someone come up with a format to rate these BD's


The audio criteria suggestion has been thrown around from time to time, but it always gets shot down (for good reason IMO) due to the fact that audio is VERY subjective and there are so many variables from one member to another (dif equipment, dif rooms, dif likes/dislikes with mix/recording, etc..., etc....) It would be EXTREMELY hard to have a criteria that was relatively reliable. BUT if you have a suggestion, throw it out there.

Maybe there are some users who would rate a certain movie/concert higher if they liked the material in question, but if there is one place where that bias would be put in check, it would be AVS IMO and I dont feel most the members who participate in this thread are biased to any significant degree as far as rating these audio tracks from my experience. Speaking for myself, NONE of the concert blu rays I have rated as reference (Dave and Tim, John Mayer, The Police, NIN) are bands that I even listen to on a regular basis and needless to say, I am certainly not a BIG fan of any of these bands, BUT all 4 of these are reference audio to my ears. On the other end of the stick is Rush a band I do love, however Rush: Snakes and Arrows in one of the least desirable concert BR's I have listened to from a recording/mix standpoint (I gave it a tier 2 rating). So I dont agree with your statement that most here are judging the tech merits of these BR concerts by how much they like the material in question.

As far as this statement of yours....."Some dude playing guitar and vocals only should NEVER be considered reference".......I could not disagree more, and by the way its "2 dudes" playing guitar. Since you have not even listened to this BR, you have absolutely no grounds for argument IMO. Go listen to this BR and then come back and discuss it, otherwise you just come off as ignorant trying to argue it when you have no frame of reference. I also find it interesting how closed minded you are as far as even giving this show a listen considering you are a musician yourself I will say that I do find it more impressive to get a reference recording/mix with a full band compared to 2 guitars and vocals, BUT a reference recording/mix is just that no matter if it is one guy and a guitar or a entire orchestra or anything inbetween.

Thanks for the concert review by the way. I have put this in my que and am excited to hear it after your thoughts. I will say that I find it VERY hard to believe that any (at least the vast majority and I have not heard one yet) concert would work ones sub harder than the movies in reference (more consistently I can certainly understand, but harder???), but I will not judge that until I hear this BR next week.
post #83 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewing1043 View Post

ok

watched "wanted" last night and WOW
the surrounds were being used perfectly
bass was awsome
and great use of music in the movie

and the movie itself was great also

See, I have a bit of an issue with titles like these. I agree that it used the surrounds, bass was awesome. However, I thought it was too dynamic. When it got loud, it was too loud and I had to adjust my volume. But then, it was too soft for the ensuing conversation and had to adjust again.

Did anybody see/hear it this way? Do we not penalize for this type of inconsistency? Is it just my set up?
post #84 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

See, I have a bit of an issue with titles like these. I agree that it used the surrounds, bass was awesome. However, I thought it was too dynamic. When it got loud, it was too loud and I had to adjust my volume. But then, it was too soft for the ensuing conversation and had to adjust again.

Did anybody see/hear it this way? Do we not penalize for this type of inconsistency? Is it just my set up?

No it is not your set-up......
Wanted much like The Dark Knight,is mixed with a very wide dynamic range and dialog levels that are a bit lower.
However,the TDK has a very clearly voiced dialog mix so it is easy to hear at the level that it's at.
Wanted has a few inconsistencies with its dialog mix.....the bigger set pieces sound the best.
But as you noted,scenes that feature dialog only have some issues that are not just volume related.
Is your system calibrated?
Next time you watch Wanted,try boosting your center channel level by 1db....it'll help.
post #85 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

See, I have a bit of an issue with titles like these. I agree that it used the surrounds, bass was awesome. However, I thought it was too dynamic. When it got loud, it was too loud and I had to adjust my volume. But then, it was too soft for the ensuing conversation and had to adjust again.

Did anybody see/hear it this way? Do we not penalize for this type of inconsistency? Is it just my set up?

The listening environment and one's habit's are also important. I do listen at near reference levels, which is how it was intended to be heard and mixed as well. At that level I noticed no "inconsistencies" on both titles mentioned. If you listen at lower level or have people close by that might be disturbed, can cause listeners to reach for the remote, so if any of those apply, then the late night mode might something of use for you. So no penalty for Wanted, wide dynamics is one of the criteria I regard as positive.
post #86 of 1353
Amadeus (TrueHD) tier 1

I was somewhat surprised at how good this one sounded. Very clean, clear presentation with music and dialog being the focal point with the latter always loud and intelligible. The music sounded great with really good dynamics when called for with a pretty wide sound stage. The .1 channel and surrounds see little use (although there were a few good moments during some of the plays), but they seem plenty appropriate for the material even though it is a bit conservative. Considering this movie is 25 years old though, this one surprised me a bit by how good it was.

The Express (DTS-MA) tier 0

Awesome soundtrack that really pulled you into the film in not only the action on field moments, but off field as well. Nice little ambient touches such as birds and distant music. Dialog always loud and clear, and fantastic use of the .1 channel during the action scenes and with the music to create a dramatic and convincing mood. The stadium scenes really put you in the action and you might find yourself yelling at your screen! I guess I got into this one Anyway, GREAT audio track. On a side note, this is one of the best films I have seen lately and is based on a true story (for those who dont know). I was not familar with the story, but huge emotional swings in this one and realy got to me. I am not a football fan by the way so that is not a requirement to get into this film IMO.
post #87 of 1353
The Duchess (Dolby THD) Tier 1

Normally I give Tier 2 or less to "talkie" movies simply because usually there isn't much to demo anything, unless there is something to stand out. Well the score by Rachel Portman is just that. Not only it's a very memorable score but it is very well portray the mood of the film and becomes another character on it's own but without at the expense of the human ones. The clarity of the music is just first rate as well, and frankly are the other aspects of what makes a good track as well, exception of surround use, or wall shaking bass. The later wasn't necessary for this film, but a bit of more open and active surround usage would have been welcomed. I must say I enjoyed the film as well but YMMV on that.
post #88 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

The Express (DTS-MA) tier 0

Awesome soundtrack that really pulled you into the film in not only the action on field moments, but off field as well. Nice little ambient touches such as birds and distant music. Dialog always loud and clear, and fantastic use of the .1 channel during the action scenes and with the music to create a dramatic and convincing mood. The stadium scenes really put you in the action and you might find yourself yelling at your screen! I guess I got into this one Anyway, GREAT audio track. On a side note, this is one of the best films I have seen lately and is based on a true story (for those who dont know). I was not familar with the story, but huge emotional swings in this one and realy got to me. I am not a football fan by the way so that is not a requirement to get into this film IMO.

I forgot all about this one. I'll have to check it out. Great review of the AQ by the way.
post #89 of 1353
Agree with Toe - The Express Tier 0 for the Master Audio track.
post #90 of 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

I forgot all about this one. I'll have to check it out. Great review of the AQ by the way.

Thanks Give it a shot, it was better than I thought it would be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Audio Tier Thread