or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official Premier Acoustic PA-8F Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Premier Acoustic PA-8F Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 465
as far as surrounds go, i'm using polk in wall speakers and they are more than sufficient for use as surrounds. i am sure the PA-6S would do nicely.
post #122 of 465
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

as far as surrounds go, i'm using polk in wall speakers and they are more than sufficient for use as surrounds. i am sure the PA-6S would do nicely.

No doubt! The PA-6S's would be more than sufficient for rear surrounds. I have Boston Acoutics bookshelfs as my rears and they only have single 5.5" drivers and they do an excellent job so the PA-6S's should be a lot better.
post #123 of 465
going to order my PA-6C center this week, and then my premier acoustic setup will be complete! then i need to update my receiver. i'm really on the fence on this one.
post #124 of 465
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

going to order my PA-6C center this week, and then my premier acoustic setup will be complete! then i need to update my receiver. i'm really on the fence on this one.

Nice! I'm going to order my PA-6C soon as well. I also want the PA-120. Man, I want so many different things. Hahahaha! I really should update my receiver as well. Hahaha! I seen some new Yamaha receivers that have built in Dolby True HD & DTS HD Master audio decoders. I need that for my Sony Blu Ray player. Hahaha! I'm confused as well!
post #125 of 465
i know what you mean. now that i have updated my speakers and sub from entry level, i feel my receiver is inadquate. its the entry level onkyo 506. i dont yet have a blu ray so i want to futureproof somewhat for when i do. but there are so many opinions on so many brands, some do this better some do that better, making it a tough decision.
post #126 of 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

yeah, the eagles are hard to top. the AWB DVD is called tonite. hell freezes over was the first concert DVD i ever owned. my wife got it for me for christmas a couple of years ago. the guy that lives across the street from me is going to buy the R50's from me. i hope he doesnt hear the PA-8F's or he'll want them instead! LOL

well, the guy across the street picked up the R50's today so i ordered the PA-6C center. then i'll have the full PA setup!
post #127 of 465
^^ tell us how u feel about the center.

Still loving my 8F's! Just turned the x-over on my amp to 80hz and the bass and mids now even better!
post #128 of 465
just ordered it today. i'll let you know when i get it. i wanna know if anyone has run audessy or something similar with these speakers?
post #129 of 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

just ordered it today. i'll let you know when i get it. i wanna know if anyone has run audessy or something similar with these speakers?

movie guy, any experience with the room calibration from your yamaha with the PA-8F's?
post #130 of 465
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

movie guy, any experience with the room calibration from your yamaha with the PA-8F's?

Well, my receiver doesn't have the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) mic that you set down in the sweet spot of the room and the receiver automatically calibrates things for you. I had to physically measure the distance of all my speakers etc and then manually input the calculations into the receiver. Not that much of a pain to do but I'm sure having the YPAO is a lot easier. Other than that I havn't done any other calibrating.
post #131 of 465
i have the audessy on my onkyo but i've yet to use it. alot of people seem to be going back and resetting everything manually after running it.
post #132 of 465
Movieguy i thought u have the Yamaha 663 like me?? I used my YPAO with the mic....Setup up the speakers as symmetrically as i could, put the mic on a tripod and shut off anything that was making noise in the room.

Initially i used YPAO then changed the setting manually. I set the speakers to small and the x-over to 80hz. I also played around with the volume settings for each speaker. I ended up upping the power to the center since is severely underpowered compared to the 8fs as well as lowering the rear surrounds.

Sounds great with music and especially movies. I recently moved my sub around so now im gonna run it again then taylor the settings manually.
post #133 of 465
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-J5 View Post

Movieguy i thought u have the Yamaha 663 like me?? I used my YPAO with the mic....Setup up the speakers as symmetrically as i could, put the mic on a tripod and shut off anything that was making noise in the room.

Initially i used YPAO then changed the setting manually. I set the speakers to small and the x-over to 80hz. I also played around with the volume settings for each speaker. I ended up upping the power to the center since is severely underpowered compared to the 8fs as well as lowering the rear surrounds.

Sounds great with music and especially movies. I recently moved my sub around so now im gonna run it again then taylor the settings manually.

Ya know, I thought I had the 663 but it turns out I have the RX-V559 which doesn't have the YPAO. But it was pretty simple to calibrate everything manually anyway. Like you I also set my speakers to "Small" and I leave my receiver at 80hz as well. I figure why not let everything that's 80hz and below go straight to the sub. I agree, the PA-8F's do sound great with both music & movies. That's the thing I love about them. I always felt the Acoustech's lacked in sound big time with music but they were pretty good with movies. The problem is I listen to mostly music and watch mostly music/concert DVD's thus the reason I got rid of the Acoutech's and went with the PA-8F's.
post #134 of 465
hmm, i see some premier acoustic showing up on amazon now! it says seller just launched. it is thru sound distributors.
post #135 of 465
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

hmm, i see some premier acoustic showing up on amazon now! it says seller just launched. it is thru sound distributors.

Yeah. I see acoustic sound design is also selling them on Amazon. It's unreal that they want $405 for the PA-8F's. Not that it's a rip off or anything because they are still worth it in my eyes. However, why would someone charge that much when Sound Distributors is selling them for half that price on Ebay? I've read in these forums and other forums as well that the guy who owns Acoustic Sound Design [Mike Embers] is a real piece of work and I've experienced it for myself once when I called him to ask a few questions about the BIC Acoustech line of speakers. He made me feel like I was bothering him. Not to promote anyone here but Eric from Sound Distributors has always been extremely helpful over the phone and he has even replied to me in emails. I will probably buy the rest of my stuff from him from now on.
post #136 of 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-J5 View Post

^^ tell us how u feel about the center.

Still loving my 8F's! Just turned the x-over on my amp to 80hz and the bass and mids now even better!

Hey Johnny, see you pulled the plug and got a pair. glad you like them. I liked them so much I picked up 4 more. Movies and music never sounded so good. I have the amp set at 60hz, since I don't have any small speakers in my set up and the house rocks.
post #137 of 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Guy View Post

Yeah. I see acoustic sound design is also selling them on Amazon. It's unreal that they want $405 for the PA-8F's. Not that it's a rip off or anything because they are still worth it in my eyes. However, why would someone charge that much when Sound Distributors is selling them for half that price on Ebay? I've read in these forums and other forums as well that the guy who owns Acoustic Sound Design [Mike Embers] is a real piece of work and I've experienced it for myself once when I called him to ask a few questions about the BIC Acoustech line of speakers. He made me feel like I was bothering him. Not to promote anyone here but Eric from Sound Distributors has always been extremely helpful over the phone and he has even replied to me in emails. I will probably buy the rest of my stuff from him from now on.

From what I've read on these forums the owners of Sound Distributors and Acoustic Sound Design are brothers. So maybe one family member is nicer than the other. Both companies are out of Vegas.
post #138 of 465
eric is the guy i've dealt with. seems like a great guy. prompt replys to my emails and the packaging of the sub and speakers was excellent. considering they traveled across the country, they arrived on time and in perfect condition!
post #139 of 465
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

From what I've read on these forums the owners of Sound Distributors and Acoustic Sound Design are brothers. So maybe one family member is nicer than the other. Both companies are out of Vegas.

If that's the case then one is a lot nicer than the other because I've dealt with both and Eric/Sound Distributors is much nicer and a lot less rude.
post #140 of 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo775 View Post

Hey Johnny, see you pulled the plug and got a pair. glad you like them. I liked them so much I picked up 4 more. Movies and music never sounded so good. I have the amp set at 60hz, since I don't have any small speakers in my set up and the house rocks.

Sure did and loving them! Thanks for the help man.

If i had the room id add 2 more for the rear as well...what are you running a 7.1 setup with all 8f's?
post #141 of 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-J5 View Post

Sure did and loving them! Thanks for the help man.

If i had the room id add 2 more for the rear as well...what are you running a 7.1 setup with all 8f's?

Glad you like them, so far everyone has. There a great bang for the buck hey.

Yes I'am and man it's cool I really don't have the right room for it either, course I didn't have the right room for surrounds on the walls either. But for an extra 20 to 30 bucks a pair for the PA-8f 's, just couldn't justify buying the smaller surrounds. Boy am I happy to, movies and music are incredible sounding. Having towers for the surrounds is the way to go. I've read others doing it so I thought I'd give it a try. It's definitely the way to go, even if you don't have the room (make the room). You will not regret it.
I have the rear surrounds on each side of the couch elevated about 12 inches and tilted in. Audysee did a good job setting the acoustics up.
Rock On
post #142 of 465
Hello guys,
I`m a newbie here :-)
I had searched a lot before I decided to buy PA-8F Home Thetare System last year and could not find anything that`s matching my expectations about having a solid review about this product. This thread is very useful for the further owners of these awesome speakers - great job ! I bought them concerned of reciving "you get, what you pay for" as I read in some of a very few words found on the internet about PA-8F, and these words were probably written by someone who has never listened to PA-8F.
I also got this set on ebay as a few of you did. Unfortunately there was no shipping to Europe available and I had to arrange it through my lad living in the US. I did wait for them for over two months - can you imagine ? That`s the hardest deal I`ve ever had ;-) Finally I recived them, checked if they are not filled with salt water, they were OK so I put them into my subie and drove to my house quicker than with my wife to a hospital when she was just about to give birth ;-) I was more horny (to hear how they sound) than on my wirst date with my last girlfriend (currently my wife) and in that mellow mood I did a mistake while measuring the lenght between mounting brackets on the back of the surround speakers and drilled the holes to far from each other ... and had to drill one more ... so after hanging them one left useles to remind me that great day on which I realized that this 1000$ was the best spent money in my lifetime. Finally I made all the connections, switched the light off and sat back on my couch ready for the show ! First CD launched was Weather Report - Heavy Weather, which blew me away with a complete new set of sounds which were unkown for me before. Every whisper, every little sound was so clear and alive that I fell in love with PA-8F ! After about an hour of listening I decided to change the reciver`s equalizer settings preset by attached to ONKYO microphone and Audyssey, cause I realized they are too flat. This operation brought my brand new speakers to life again! My room is now like a concert hall for listening music and much more better than cinema for watching movies !
I recommend these speakers for anybody who loves the music and is looking for something that helps to discover all your records from the beggining once again !
I have a few friends who are musicians and now they love to visit me to listen to some good stuff on these speakers.
Everyone, even audiophile owners of some more "caviar" audio systems, who have paid more for one of their silver speaker cables than me for the whole system, say PA-8F is simply amazing and it`s just a STEAL for this price !

PS 1 I have the traditional version - not titanium
PS 2 sorry for any grammar or logical mistakes in my text - my english has been getting worse within each day since I don`t have to use it
post #143 of 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by subuk View Post

Hello guys,
I`m a newbie here :-)
I had searched a lot before I decided to buy PA-8F Home Thetare System last year and could not find anything that`s matching my expectations about having a solid review about this product. This thread is very useful for the further owners of these awesome speakers - great job ! I bought them concerned of reciving "you get, what you pay for" as I read in some of a very few words found on the internet about PA-8F, and these words were probably written by someone who has never listened to PA-8F.
I also got this set on ebay as a few of you did. Unfortunately there was no shipping to Europe available and I had to arrange it through my lad living in the US. I did wait for them for over two months - can you imagine ? That`s the hardest deal I`ve ever had ;-) Finally I recived them, checked if they are not filled with salt water, they were OK so I put them into my subie and drove to my house quicker than with my wife to a hospital when she was just about to give birth ;-) I was more horny (to hear how they sound) than on my wirst date with my last girlfriend (currently my wife) and in that mellow mood I did a mistake while measuring the lenght between mounting brackets on the back of the surround speakers and drilled the holes to far from each other ... and had to drill one more ... so after hanging them one left useles to remind me that great day on which I realized that this 1000$ was the best spent money in my lifetime. Finally I made all the connections, switched the light off and sat back on my couch ready for the show ! First CD launched was Weather Report - Heavy Weather, which blew me away with a complete new set of sounds which were unkown for me before. Every whisper, every little sound was so clear and alive that I fell in love with PA-8F ! After about an hour of listening I decided to change the reciver`s equalizer settings preset by attached to ONKYO microphone and Audyssey, cause I realized they are too flat. This operation brought my brand new speakers to life again! My room is now like a concert hall for listening music and much more better than cinema for watching movies !
I recommend these speakers for anybody who loves the music and is looking for something that helps to discover all your records from the beggining once again !
I have a few friends who are musicians and now they love to visit me to listen to some good stuff on these speakers.
Everyone, even audiophile owners of some more "caviar" audio systems, who have paid more for one of their silver speaker cables than me for the whole system, say PA-8F is simply amazing and it`s just a STEAL for this price !

PS 1 I have the traditional version - not titanium
PS 2 sorry for any grammar or logical mistakes in my text - my english has been getting worse within each day since I don`t have to use it

i couldnt agree more!
post #144 of 465
I found this thread shortly after it began, because i , like a lot of you were looking for info about the Premier Acoustic Pa-8F towers. I was not interested in speakers for HT , but more for listening to music ( Rock , Metal , Symphonic rock/metal) I no longer had room for my Kenwood speakers, and was looking for towers. I use a Kenwood 7030 reciever i bought new in 1992 ( Dolby prologic surround )
Anyway the first towers i bought after much research were the BIC DV64 Venturi. These sound absolutely amazing. The imaging is astounding! Incredible highs and the lows coming from the dual 6.5" woofs, and passives is amazing!
I then decided after reading this thread to give the PA-8F's a try . First off, the cabs are beautiful, and very solid. Now i have been going back and forth between the two sets, and i have not yet made a decision which sound better. I have switched them back and forth , between Nightwish , Twisted sister , Bonham , Within Temptation , Ratt, and Heavenly Creatures . I had my wife listen to them both , as well as my son and his girlfriend ( both 17 )
All of us are having difficulty deciding which sound better, its crazy!
The lows are a bit better throught the Pa-8F's, but i don't like pounding bass ,( and turn the bass down a bit ) so thats a non factor , the highs are definately better with the DV64's.

For those who think spending more get you better or more, after having spent some time listening to crazy priced speakers , Its all in your head , i think some have the mentality , i spent 2 grand on this set of speakers, so they have to sound awesome , cmon man , my BMW cost twice as much as your car , really , too bad its always in the shop , lol ..

So the testing continues , perhaps the PA-8f's will come around more as they are broken in.
And away we go, crank it up !!
post #145 of 465
Restlessgypsy I`d rather say you ought to go for the new reciver than wait for PA`s to break in Harman/Kardon would be the choice for kind of music you`re keen on.
post #146 of 465
Yes , a new reciever may be in order, though i'm not sure what kind of improvement it will make at this point. My Kenwood pushes 100 watts , and iv'e got good control , seperate bass , treble, and loudness controls. Maybe a reciever that gives me control over midrange as well. hmmm..
post #147 of 465
The speakers play what comes to them thru the cable I`m certain your ancient reciver is not doing the proper job
post #148 of 465
just to let everyone, who might be thinking about ordering the PA-6C or 8C center channel to match the PA-8F towers know, i got free shipping thru amazon on the PA-6C!
post #149 of 465
Hi, has anyone Bi-Amp these yet? I can't seem to find it in the manual. I have the Infinity P362 Front and Infinity PC-350 center along with the PA-120 sub, trying to compare them, thanks.
post #150 of 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by subuk View Post

Hello guys,
I`m a newbie here :-)
I had searched a lot before I decided to buy PA-8F Home Thetare System last year and could not find anything that`s matching my expectations about having a solid review about this product. This thread is very useful for the further owners of these awesome speakers - great job ! I bought them concerned of reciving "you get, what you pay for" as I read in some of a very few words found on the internet about PA-8F, and these words were probably written by someone who has never listened to PA-8F.
I also got this set on ebay as a few of you did. Unfortunately there was no shipping to Europe available and I had to arrange it through my lad living in the US. I did wait for them for over two months - can you imagine ? That`s the hardest deal I`ve ever had ;-) Finally I recived them, checked if they are not filled with salt water, they were OK so I put them into my subie and drove to my house quicker than with my wife to a hospital when she was just about to give birth ;-) I was more horny (to hear how they sound) than on my wirst date with my last girlfriend (currently my wife) and in that mellow mood I did a mistake while measuring the lenght between mounting brackets on the back of the surround speakers and drilled the holes to far from each other ... and had to drill one more ... so after hanging them one left useles to remind me that great day on which I realized that this 1000$ was the best spent money in my lifetime. Finally I made all the connections, switched the light off and sat back on my couch ready for the show ! First CD launched was Weather Report - Heavy Weather, which blew me away with a complete new set of sounds which were unkown for me before. Every whisper, every little sound was so clear and alive that I fell in love with PA-8F ! After about an hour of listening I decided to change the reciver`s equalizer settings preset by attached to ONKYO microphone and Audyssey, cause I realized they are too flat. This operation brought my brand new speakers to life again! My room is now like a concert hall for listening music and much more better than cinema for watching movies !
I recommend these speakers for anybody who loves the music and is looking for something that helps to discover all your records from the beggining once again !
I have a few friends who are musicians and now they love to visit me to listen to some good stuff on these speakers.
Everyone, even audiophile owners of some more "caviar" audio systems, who have paid more for one of their silver speaker cables than me for the whole system, say PA-8F is simply amazing and it`s just a STEAL for this price !

PS 1 I have the traditional version - not titanium
PS 2 sorry for any grammar or logical mistakes in my text - my english has been getting worse within each day since I don`t have to use it

Hahaa i love how u mentioned that you are a subie owner as well!

8F's and subaru FTW
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official Premier Acoustic PA-8F Thread