or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS1 Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS1 Owner's Discussion Thread

post #1 of 7895
Thread Starter 
I'll start with some pics of the 42"



post #2 of 7895
Thanks for the pics, I know a lot of people including myself were anxiously awaiting them.

What HD sources do you have, and could you post some pics of them too? Thanks in advance.

What are your initial impressions of the set?
post #3 of 7895
Yay! About time!

The physical display itself looks excellent -- simple and uncluttered.

Now give us detailed picture quality impressions!
post #4 of 7895
Please if you dont mind:

a straight on pic no flash
sideways
all black screen lights off
some hd content with Cinema Mode

if you can do this your the greatest!
post #5 of 7895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal View Post

some hd content with THX mode

The S series doesn't have THX mode. You must be thinking of the G series.
post #6 of 7895
Oh yeah sorry. forget the THX pic
post #7 of 7895
i am also thinking about getting the 42inch. Can you please post a review of the set and some pics of hd content? thanks in advance
post #8 of 7895
Well I ended up with the S model 50", after buying the X model for a steal and then it not being on the shipment like I was told...so they subed a S model for only 400 bucks more....great deal on the TV I really wanted but just couldn't justify.....i'm picking it up in the morning.
post #9 of 7895
hmm....looks like they got rid of the very useful hand grooves to help carry the sets
post #10 of 7895
Great start! Keep 'em coming.
post #11 of 7895
It has the exact same bezel and down firing speakers of the X series doesn't it?
post #12 of 7895
Thread Starter 
Here are some pics. The OTA was taken on the fly (unable to pause). I don't watch that much primetime TV so I'm not sure what shows they're from. The Blu-Ray is from my PS3 via HDMI with default settings. The TV is in the Standard picture setting. Everything is 50 except the tint is 0. I didn't have much time to choose certain scenes because I wanted to sit down and watch Band of Brother's (which looks amazing, this is the first time I'm watching the series in HD). If there are certain scenes in The Dark Knight, Kung Fu Panda, or Band of Brother's you want my the shoot, let me know.

OTA


OTA


Dark Knight BD
post #13 of 7895
Could you please take the shot of Po when he makes that funny face to Tigress after the cricket or someone stuck one too many needles? Thank you for taking the time to accommodate requests. I'm leaning towards getting a 42S1, but I'd like to see Panny's TC-L37G1 LCD before ending my long wait for a new TV.
post #14 of 7895
Looks good. Is the only difference between the S series and G really THX? And what exactly makes the G10 THX? Is it enhanced circuitry? Or simply tweaked service mode settings?
post #15 of 7895
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugdocta View Post

Looks good. Is the only difference between the S series and G really THX? And what exactly makes the G10 THX? Is it enhanced circuitry? Or simply tweaked service mode settings?

THX and all that internet connectivity that no one needs and will probably really use. Accept maybe netflix but I don't believe Panny is on board with netflix at this point. But I maybe wrong but all contrast ratios and panels I believe are the same between the S1 and G10.

Maybe its just those pictures but wow blacks seem impressive and the picture looks really bright (maybe even a little to bright for my taste) which makes the black level even more impressive. The white on the panda looks clean as well. When the black in JLH sweater is pretty close to the black of the frame I'd have to say those have to be good blacks.

Looks good to my eyes anyway. Can't wait to see some numbers with proper measurement tools
post #16 of 7895
Wow that first Dark Knight scene shows how much the ABL has improved.. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!
post #17 of 7895
Wow looks amazing. Alittle black crush but it looks like its the camera.

That looks bright, alittle too bright. Blacks look really good imo. Put it in Cinema please?

This is going to sell well.
post #18 of 7895
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugdocta View Post

Looks good. Is the only difference between the S series and G really THX? And what exactly makes the G10 THX? Is it enhanced circuitry? Or simply tweaked service mode settings?

THX gives you much improved color accuracy. Unless they have changed a great deal from last year, you can't replicate this in the service menu of the non-THX sets.
post #19 of 7895
Marka04,

Could I get "exact" measurements of height (stand and all) and width.

Trying to see if this will fit in my cabinet space... :-)

Many thanks
post #20 of 7895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Marka04,

Could I get "exact" measurements of height (stand and all) and width.

Trying to see if this will fit in my cabinet space... :-)

Many thanks

I measured 28" for height and just over 40 1/2" for width. Manual states 28" height and 40.6" width.

I'm really happy with the set so far. Unfortunately for you guys I don't have much to compare it with except for my older LCD. Played COD5 last night, it played great, no motion problems, no IR afterwards, but I only played for about a half hour.
post #21 of 7895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal View Post


That looks bright, alittle too bright. Blacks look really good imo. Put it in Cinema please?

This is going to sell well.

I'll try that mode tonight.
post #22 of 7895
When playing COD5 did you notice green or yellow trails when moving the camera around in high contrast areas of the game?


Quote:
Originally Posted by marka04 View Post

I measured 28" for height and just over 40 1/2" for width. Manual states 28" height and 40.6" width.

I'm really happy with the set so far. Unfortunately for you guys I don't have much to compare it with except for my older LCD. Played COD5 last night, it played great, no motion problems, no IR afterwards, but I only played for about a half hour.
post #23 of 7895
Now i just got to decide if THX if worth it to go with a G10.
post #24 of 7895
If the color accuracy of the S1 is anything like the 80/85U then all signs point to yes. That is as long as THX mode this year offers the same kind of accuracy it did last year.
post #25 of 7895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

If the color accuracy of the S1 is anything like the 80/85U then all signs point to yes. That is as long as THX mode this year offers the same kind of accuracy it did last year.

I would think the same, but looking at those sample pics, with the green on the aerosol can and the red in the clown masks, I see no evidence of imbalance there. It may be inaccurate when measured by test equipment, but if you can't SEE it...

Flesh tones on Hewitt looked off, but that could be due to the natural lighting in the scene if it's a sunset.
post #26 of 7895
Very true and also consider that its on a untouched Standard setting
post #27 of 7895
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroh View Post

I would think the same, but looking at those sample pics, with the green on the aerosol can and the red in the clown masks, I see no evidence of imbalance there. It may be inaccurate when measured by test equipment, but if you can't SEE it...

Flesh tones on Hewitt looked off, but that could be due to the natural lighting in the scene if it's a sunset.

Photos are really not the way to judge a TV. They can make them look better or worse than they really are. Wait until we get some decent reviews or extensive user impressions.
post #28 of 7895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsCarmine View Post

Could you please take the shot of Po when he makes that funny face to Tigress after the cricket or someone stuck one too many needles? Thank you for taking the time to accommodate requests. I'm leaning towards getting a 42S1, but I'd like to see Panny's TC-L37G1 LCD before ending my long wait for a new TV.

Here's a couple of shots during daytime viewing.

standard mode


cinema mode


I'll try to get some more night shots.
post #29 of 7895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by santori_time View Post

When playing COD5 did you notice green or yellow trails when moving the camera around in high contrast areas of the game?

Initially I was playing a level which is set during the night and didn't notice. However, I played a bit more last night and did notice some slight light green trails in high contrast levels, but only standing still and moving the view back and forth quickly. Didn't really effect normal gameplay for me.
post #30 of 7895
Judging by those pics of the panda, it seems that Cinema mode brings out more details in the dark areas.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic TC-PXXS1 Owner's Discussion Thread