or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Yes Dear, I'm down here working on your craft room!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yes Dear, I'm down here working on your craft room!! - Page 21

post #601 of 772
Thread Starter 
50 Days to Christmas... Im on a mission now!

Went with a Black Border and Dark wine/burgundy/maroon insert for the carpet!!

Last Major piece of Equipment (for the time being) arrived today



Chairs is the only decision left to make.. Decided I wanted simple/clean lines in a solid black.. Kinda have it narrowed down to these 2. lead time ~60 days



My third option is significantly less coin ("similar" quality)and could probably be here by christmas



Opinions on the best chair for the room?
post #602 of 772
Ah, Oppo 95 sweet! Very nice.

As for the chairs, I really like the one with the rounded arms, first picture. I like the other two as well. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but if you must know by vote then I vote #1.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #603 of 772
I like all three as well. Aesthetically I'd choose #1 too, because it's more unique. However, I use the arms on my chairs to hold all sorts of things, and the rounded arm would not allow for that. Does it look like the cup holder is further back in the arm than the others? If so, that wouldn't work either. My drink needs to fall naturally into my hand like the gear shift of a well designed sports car. I know. Sounds like a nitpick, but after all is said and done, these little ergonomic details will make or break the whole project!
post #604 of 772
Please tell us more about the chairs. They are all 3 very nice and I am at the point of ordering chairs.
post #605 of 772
Absolutely one of my favorite theaters. It is stunning! Great job on all the woodwork.

A question about your IB configuration and why you went with two openings? I have not seen that set up before, only the more traditional 4 drivers in one opening. Is set up the same and are you driving all the subs as if it was a single opening/sub? Is there any concern about getting flutter in the screen from air movement??
post #606 of 772
I'm doing a similar sub in my theater and wondered whether it would move the screen. I posed the question to several people with similar setups and everyone said that there was no screen movement from the sub.
post #607 of 772
I don't have the same sub setup, but I have screen movement, and it's a real problem.
post #608 of 772
Holy cow! 103+ THOUSAND views.
They're all for that gardening post I bet, LOL That was hysterical!
Had tears in my eyes while reading that, I was laughing so hard.
post #609 of 772
I'm going to be contrary and suggest chair #2 (chair #3 as second choice). The first one is a little to modern to work in this room IMHO. The caveat is that my wife tells me I have no taste whatsoever -- despite the reminder that I married her.
post #610 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I don't have the same sub setup, but I have screen movement, and it's a real problem.

Is your sub behind the screen. I scanned your build thread but didn't find it.

I like the two openings. It may allow me to have more of a slotted opening over being square. In doing that I may be able to keep it under the screen instead of behind it, reducing possible flutter??
post #611 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude 08 View Post

Is your sub behind the screen. I scanned your build thread but didn't find it.

I like the two openings. It may allow me to have more of a slotted opening over being square. In doing that I may be able to keep it under the screen instead of behind it, reducing possible flutter??

The diagram on the first page of his thread has the sub positioned behind the screen.
post #612 of 772
Carpet choice sounds nice, in retrospect I kind of wish I has added a black border - not enough to add it now, but you know.

Chairs look nice too - any difference in back height? Mine are a little too high for my height, so you might want to give that some thought, to not impact surrounds.
post #613 of 772
Thread Starter 
More than you ever wanted to know about the meandering path of my chair decision....

Selecting the chairs, or more accurately, loosing sleep over which would be the right chair for the room has been a uphill battle. Going in I knew, I didn't want the Atypical overstuffed recliner. I just didn't feel it would blend well with the room motif.

This lead to me questioning the real "Need" for a recliner. I've been going to movies my whole life and have never sat in a recliner at the theater. So being somewhat unsure that a recliner was a prerequisite to a proper theater, I started looking at Chairs that would be more period appropriate in an "older style" atmosphere.

This lead me to the Art Nouveau /Deco/Neoclassical period, Club/Cigar type chair designs. To give you an Idea of the look I was searching for heres an couple examples of a neoclassical design and an art deco design.. Disregard the colors..


I thought something along these lines would be a perfect addition to the environment I was trying to create. So I started searching, with the understanding that I would propably need to get what ever I find reupholstered..

However this path was full of its own limitations/constraints..
1. Virtually Impossible to find these vintage chairs in anything other than pairs..
2. These chairs are big (wide).. I would not be able to place 4 (even if i could find them) in the room in with any type of symmetry.

Then I ran across "Fortress Seating", Fortress is one of the Higher end chair manufactures, and will customize your chairs to your specific style/dimensions.

What drew me to fortress was that their chair designs were based on the various period designs.. here are a couple of examples...

A set of art deco chairs from the 30's compared to the fortress "Alex"


And another example of a club chair from the 40's compared to the Fortress "JR2"


It appears that all of the fortress designs are based on period chairs, even their Oddball looking "Guild" (which I think they build at the request of TK) is eerily similar to a Stanley Weiss design from the turn of the century.

For those interested heres a link to all fortress models..
http://www.fortresseating.com/directory.php?cat_id=1

I looked and sat in nearly every chair at Cedia.. without a doubt there are only a few companies that produce the same quality of chair.. but the quality does come at a price.

If your comparing prices of Fortress to Berklines, Pallisers etc.. be ready for sticker shock... if looking at higher end chairs like Elite or CineAK.. Fortress is in the same price range.



The fortress Californian (my 3rd option above) is their entry level Quick ship chair, shipped as seen in Black 50/50 leather only. The other chairs are build custom on a per order basis, you tell them what you need, width, seat height, back height etc..

Although it looks like I'm going this way now.. I still remain unsure that the recliner is an integral requirement. This view may change as soon as I've watched a few movies. (wouldn't mind hearing differing opinions on the "Need" for a recliner still)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

As for the chairs, I really like the one with the rounded arms, first picture.

Its really a tough decision for me,, like everything I've over analized and spent way to long trying to make "just the right decision" for just the right size, in just the right color, with just the right style, for just the right look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Sounds like a nitpick, but after all is said and done, these little ergonomic details will make or break the whole project!

Doesn't sound like a nitpick at all.. The Devils in the details.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Please tell us more about the chairs.

After reading my post.. are you sorry you asked??

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude 08 View Post

Absolutely one of my favorite theaters. It is stunning! Great job on all the woodwork.

A question about your IB configuration and why you went with two openings? I have not seen that set up before, only the more traditional 4 drivers in one opening. Is set up the same and are you driving all the subs as if it was a single opening/sub? Is there any concern about getting flutter in the screen from air movement??

Thanks Dude.. The dual Manifold is fairly common in this forum.. Check out, moggie, cathan and now Stock monkey's build.... I honestly can not answer your question about screen movement.. I've not had a screen in front of mine yet... I know I asked many people on many different forums including the Cult and every said they never had an issue...

Tony's recent post is the first report I've seen where someone states its an issue.. So Im keeping my fingers crossed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by domz777 View Post

Holy cow! 103+ THOUSAND views.
They're all for that gardening post I bet, LOL That was hysterical!
Had tears in my eyes while reading that, I was laughing so hard.

If you break it down on average daily basisover the nearly 3 years its taking me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

I'm going to be contrary and suggest chair #2 (chair #3 as second choice). The first one is a little to modern to work in this room IMHO. The caveat is that my wife tells me I have no taste whatsoever -- despite the reminder that I married her.

If someone held a gun to my head thats the choice Id make today. Fortress's most popular model also..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Carpet choice sounds nice, in retrospect I kind of wish I has added a black border - not enough to add it now, but you know.

Chairs look nice too - any difference in back height? Mine are a little too high for my height, so you might want to give that some thought, to not impact surrounds.

The carpet should arrive next Friday.. so Ill say that we'll know if it was the right decision before Thanksgiving..

Im glad you brought up the back height.. regardless of the chair I order I need to determine the correct height so it doesn't interfere with the surrounds.. Im at 6'0" even. The standard choices are 24", 26", 28" for a back height and 38", 40", and 42" for the overall chair height. ( although they will build to any dimensions desired).

I was going to ask the fortress guys but I wouldn't mind what you guys would recommend based on your experiences

Back height that can provide decent head support without to much interference..????

My next update should show a completed wall with all the "Bling"....

Thanks
Brad
post #614 of 772
Ah,

Just think, one day you will look back and just laugh at all of the agony you put yourself though "just trying to pick out seating" pfffttt.

All joking aside Mrs. RTROSE says I agonize over decisions regarding the theater more than any other decision period. I have to remind her this is serious stuff.

For the new round of chairs, I like the very first chairs and the chair in the last photo. Very unique look to them. As for the recliner part, I completely agree. I have yet to go to a multiplex and "recline" as for at home the only thing a recliner encourages me to do is fall asleep!

Good luck in your quest. I have complete faith that you will get the "right" chair, your previous decisions have got you to this point and I can say with certainty those have been fantastic.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #615 of 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I like all three as well. Aesthetically I'd choose #1 too, because it's more unique. However, I use the arms on my chairs to hold all sorts of things, and the rounded arm would not allow for that. Does it look like the cup holder is further back in the arm than the others? If so, that wouldn't work either. My drink needs to fall naturally into my hand like the gear shift of a well designed sports car. I know. Sounds like a nitpick, but after all is said and done, these little ergonomic details will make or break the whole project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Doesn't sound like a nitpick at all.. The Devils in the details.!!

Couldn't agree more, Once your enjoying your theater for extended periods of time, comfort will be the most important thing. That first chair reminds me of the first time I saw Elite seating, totally blown away by them, but with the cup-holders being that far back you will be find it odd placing and removing drinks from them during a movie.

I like seat 3.
post #616 of 772
I'd thought I'd offer my experience on the question of whether an IB sub behind the screen can result in screen movement.

My dual IB install is similar to Brad's but the subs are mounted lower and are almost completely under the screen I also have less distance between the screen wall and true wall than Brad's and most other builds. It is clear to me that the IB subs have the power to move cloth placed in front of them. In some silly testing I played some super intense Saturn rocket launch LFE effects and the GOM FR701 in front of the subs was visibly flapping. This is a very porous cloth.. During the same tests I put my hand on the screen cloth and could feel the vibrations but from the first row of seats could not make out any movement whatsoever. I also wonder if my curved screen is helping to minimize the movement since I would think that a large flat piece of cloth is more likely to vibrate with the pressure waves.
post #617 of 772
Hey Brad - I'm a little late to this seating party, but I looked into the Califonian as well. I assume you know already know this, but I don't think they're available with power recline. They were the right aesthetic for my room but the lack of power recline made me look elsewhere. Lots of people here told me how important the power recline was...I ended up getting powered chairs and they were right - being able to stop the seat anywhere between upright and full recline is a great feature. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your choice!
post #618 of 772
Your theatre is gorgeous, man!!! WOW!

I LOVE those 40's club chairs. Did the carpet come in yet?
post #619 of 772
the californians can be ordered with motorized recline.
post #620 of 772
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Your theatre is gorgeous, man!!! WOW!

I LOVE those 40's club chairs. Did the carpet come in yet?

The carpets in and in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

the californians can be ordered with motorized recline.

and they were..
post #621 of 772
Thread Starter 
Today marks 993 days since the start of my build thread, and the elves have been working at a feverish pace to complete the room before Christmas.

Lacking only the application of the FR701 to the exposed area at the bottom of the soffits and the arrival of the seats on Tue/Wed of next week.

The arrival of the seats will, at least in my book, officially bring phase one of my journey to an end.

So for you folks out there who have been following along at home, watching this wild and crazy action packed adventure unfold, the nail biting will soon be coming to an end.. stay tuned for my next pictorial update on 12/1/2011 -MY....

1000 day Anniversary


... a simple quote for everyone building a room that find themselves pondering mass law, transmission loss, Delany and Bazley, the speed of sound, snells law, boundries, adiabatic vs. isothermic conditions, and particle velocity, then wondering why your 3 years into a build......

"The Romans would never have found time to conquer the world if they had been obliged first to learn Latin."
Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!
Brad
post #622 of 772
I can honestly say that 1000 days for you has been 1000 days of quality workmanship. Thank you for sharing your build. It has been fun to follow.
post #623 of 772
Awesome, can't wait. Yours is truly an awesome build. The fruits of your labor are truly visible and well worth the effort.

Looking forward to your pictorial update.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #624 of 772
Brad - fantastic build and one of the inspirational ones on record. can't wait to see your Cali chairs in this space. Thx for sharing.
post #625 of 772
Love the pictures of the carpet in the "Show Your Screen Wall" thread. You made a great choice with the red carpet and I like the simple pattern in it. How do you like the black border (you know I like it :-) )?
post #626 of 772
Hey!

I just realized it is 12/6/2011 where is your 1000 day pictorial update? I'm not letting you off the hook that easy! We want pics.....we want pics.....we want pics......

The natives are getting restless.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #627 of 772
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Love the pictures of the carpet in the "Show Your Screen Wall" thread. You made a great choice with the red carpet and I like the simple pattern in it. How do you like the black border (you know I like it :-) )?

I really like the way the carpet came out, the burgandy seems to go well with the woodwork, and I like the black border. It does show everything though!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hey!

I just realized it is 12/6/2011 where is your 1000 day pictorial update? I'm not letting you off the hook that easy! We want pics.....we want pics.....we want pics......

The natives are getting restless.

Regards,

RTROSE

I Know, I Know... Historically I'm know for being overzealous with my timelines.. 3 years to build a single room should tell ya something.....

Chairs were a week late, arrived last night. I had taken photos last week, but didnt think they portrayed the room very well. So the New Camera (Nikon D7000) arrived on Friday.. 6 gazillion buttons and settings, and a manual as thick as a phone book.. just starting to learn my way around it....

Here are the shots I put in the Show me your Screen wall thread







More to come...



Brad



ppssst... watched a movie last night.. it was all worth it!
post #628 of 772
Sexy with the lights off or lights on! Nice work!!
post #629 of 772
Looking good already, looking forward to the rest. Congrats!
post #630 of 772
Very cool Brad! I really like the black edging on the carpet -- it works perfectly. So what movie did you watch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Yes Dear, I'm down here working on your craft room!!