or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic TC-P42G10, TC-P46G10, TC-P50G10, and TC-P54G10 Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic TC-P42G10, TC-P46G10, TC-P50G10, and TC-P54G10 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard1001 View Post

I then shifted to a Sammie pn50a650 series but after some more research was convinced that Panny builds a much more solid set and that Sammies will never be able to attain the color accuracy and black levels of pannies (true?).

Samsung plasmas generally have much more accurate color than Panasonic plasmas, although the THX-certified Panasonic models narrow the gap quite a bit.
post #92 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard1001 View Post

Is there typically any reason to wait to buy a plasma until after they've ironed out any issues? i.e. Am I part of the "test" group by buying early?

I've been researching for the longest time and was settled first on a an 800U but am now having a tough time locating one from a respectable seller. I also heard the 850Us were subpar to the 800Us (true?).

I then shifted to a Sammie pn50a650 series but after some more research was convinced that Panny builds a much more solid set and that Sammies will never be able to attain the color accuracy and black levels of pannies (true?).

Having waited now until to 2009s are out, I am ready to buy the 46" G10. But what I am hearing now is that the pic is not as good as the 800U. Isn't it possible that calibration on the G10 will make it as good, if not better, than the 800U?

The 6 and 8 series Samsungs this year might have black levels very close to the NeoPDPs. They're claiming 50% reduction in minimum luminance.
post #93 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebdawg16 View Post

Not sure why it matters to you, since you have proclaimed multiple times that LCD > Plasma, and that your Kuro is terrible, plasma is terrible, etc etc etc. Why bother?


Probably so he can come on plasma threads and tell newbies that he got rid of the best plasmas and his LCD is better...it's great...it's a world beater. One thing is certain, he just can't stay away from the plasma threads...like a moth to the flame. I feel sorry for the poor merchant that thought he had a sale and gets the set back from him.
post #94 of 9991
I'm totaly curious about Samsungs new 09 Plasmas...they'll still probably have the edge in color like last time, and improved blacks but who knows how good they'll be. Not to mention arent they also sporting the 1080 lines of motion resolution? when all said and done, if Samsung can match Pannys Blacks and give out superior color like last time, then i'd probably go with the Samsung....yet the only downside is that the they arent available in any size below 50" last year their blacks didn't match up to pannys and people complained about IR, yet everybody praised the Color.
post #95 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Prestige View Post

The 6 and 8 series Samsungs this year might have black levels very close to the NeoPDPs. They're claiming 50% reduction in minimum luminance.

Ahem!!!

There are Samsung threads available for Samsung Plasma discussions.
post #96 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Ahem!!!

There are Samsung threads available for Samsung Plasma discussions.

Amen brother, although a lot of them are focused on repair issues with their "wammy-Sammys".
post #97 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes23 View Post

Mine should be here any where from a week to a month.. my vendor is pretty flaky. I hope the VGA port is worth it as I'm very interested in hooking my computer to it. I've been told you can just use a DVI to HDMI converter but I don't see how you'd get audio that way. If the VGA connection is crappy then at least we have the option of viewing movies off of an SD card, which is another advantage the G has over the S.

You can use one of the Component audio inputs with the the HDMI input if you use a DVI to HDMI cable, do that, it will be a cleaner signal than VGA, and with at least last years models you could not do 1080p over VGA.
post #98 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Professional review and calibration to come Wednesday. Shootoff with the New Samsung UN55B7100 also.

Man I really want this tv lol
post #99 of 9991
My first post, been reading for the past few months about the new G10s. Can anyone say what the sound quality is like on the G10s now that they have them home?

Thanks to all for the discussions...
post #100 of 9991
I have a rather unique situation in my setup where a portion of the lower bezel is obscured, so the remote signals can't reach it. My current panny (42px60U) has the IR receiver on the bottom right corner of the TV (bottom left side as you face it), so this currently isn't a problem for me. If I remember correctly, the 85u had it in the same corner but the 80u had it towards the middle of the lower bezel. Does anyone know where the IR receiver is on the new G series plasmas?
post #101 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo2001 View Post

My first post, been reading for the past few months about the new G10s. Can anyone say what the sound quality is like on the G10s now that they have them home?

Thanks to all for the discussions...

I don't think anyone has them "home". Maybe some of the retailers are getting them in now, but you can only pre-order them right now.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there will be a review on this TV tomorrow.
post #102 of 9991
Thread Starter 
^^^ select retailers have them :0
post #103 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by S V T View Post

I don't think anyone has them "home". Maybe some of the retailers are getting them in now, but you can only pre-order them right now.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there will be a review on this TV tomorrow.

You could order these from BB last Sunday. She confirmed they were in the distribution warehouse on the east coast. We ordered one and were told we could pick it up tomorrow.
post #104 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomente View Post

I have a rather unique situation in my setup where a portion of the lower bezel is obscured, so the remote signals can't reach it. My current panny (42px60U) has the IR receiver on the bottom right corner of the TV (bottom left side as you face it), so this currently isn't a problem for me. If I remember correctly, the 85u had it in the same corner but the 80u had it towards the middle of the lower bezel. Does anyone know where the IR receiver is on the new G series plasmas?

The X series I saw at BB had its IR receiver near the middle of the lower bezel. The G series has the same bezel so it should be in the middle also. That's a disappointment to me because it rules out putting a powered audio sound bar there because the IR eye will be blocked.
post #105 of 9991
Agreeing with Heebdawg here, I'd really like to see the G10 up against the 800u, but more importantly, the S1. I don't intend to buy based on camcorder capability, and the main functions seem the same. I would be in the market for a 54 inch model. Chris, could we get a shot of the G10 from the side? Isn't it thinner than the 800u? I hate to ask for more - you are totally rocking with this shootout work.
post #106 of 9991
Cleveland Plasma, has the flicker issue been resolved for 24p playback?
post #107 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWaverly View Post

...could we get a shot of the G10 from the side? Isn't it thinner than the 800u? I hate to ask for more - you are totally rocking with this shootout work.

G10 has the same thickness as 800/850 models. About 3.8"-4.1"
According to HDGuru V1 would be 2'' thin.
post #108 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavrilych View Post

G10 has the same thickness as 800/850 models. About 3.8"-4.1"
According to HDGuru V1 would be 2'' thin.

G15 and V1 are 2" thick. Z1 is 1".
post #109 of 9991
Do the new FullHD models (S1, G10 and upwards) have fans for cooling?

I heard the X1 (720p model) hasn't any.
post #110 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes23 View Post

By the way if anyone would like to take a look at the manual, it is here.

I was under the impression the G10 could NOT do 24p without 3:2 pull down?

According to the manual it has the same menu options and specs listed for 24p as the 850u.

Page 60 in the G10 manual
Page 57 in the 850 manual (http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...TH46PZ850U.PDF)

1,125 (1,080) /24p 26.97 23.98 *
1,125 (1,080) /24p 27.00 24.00 *

Also says in both manuals: 48Hz: Achieves more cinematic playback by reproducing the movie contents at twice the speed of 24
frames per second. (60Hz/48Hz)
post #111 of 9991
Looks like Panasonic has two Neo PDP panels one is their famous 1/3" thin panel supposedly used in Z1, V1, G15 and the second one with just the regular thickness for all the other 1080P models. They talk about two Neo PDP panels in their press releases.
post #112 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavrilych View Post

Looks like Panasonic has two Neo PDP panels one is their famous 1/3" thin panel supposedly used in Z1, V1, G15 and the second one with just the regular thickness for all the other 1080P models. They talk about two Neo PDP panels in their press releases.

What's the advantage of the 1/3" panel, other than just being thin? Is it a better panel in any way? PQ? Longevity?
post #113 of 9991
I would really like to know if the European G10 has THX mode?

I'm torn between a 58" PZ800 and a 50" G10. Any advice?
post #114 of 9991
Anybody know what time Chris is planning on updating us about the calibrated G10??? I need pics!!!
post #115 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideogeek View Post

Do you find that the THX mode is brighter on the new G10 than on the Z800 series?

No takers...?

I saw the posted pictures but the problem is pictures are never an accurate metric for comparison. I was wondering if someone with BOTH of these TVs could tell me if there is a visible difference.

Thanks
post #116 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideogeek View Post

No takers...?

I saw the posted pictures but the problem is pictures are never an accurate metric for comparison. I was wondering if someone with BOTH of these TVs could tell me if there is a visible difference.

Thanks

In time my friend. Wait for the reviews.
post #117 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcona View Post

I would really like to know if the European G10 has THX mode?

I'm torn between a 58" PZ800 and a 50" G10. Any advice?

The G10 European model does not have THX mode.

THX mode is on de V10 and up, in european models.
post #118 of 9991
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebdawg16 View Post

Anybody know what time Chris is planning on updating us about the calibrated G10??? I need pics!!!

At 5 PM the Chad will be here.
post #119 of 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

At 5 PM the Chad will be here.

Thank you very much.

When you make the photo review, I would like that you say what TV is better: G10 vs 7100

Thanks
post #120 of 9991
Chris, could you please also measure a power consumption of the TV before and after the calibration? According to Panasonic's specs G10 uses only about 10% less power than 800/850. Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic TC-P42G10, TC-P46G10, TC-P50G10, and TC-P54G10 Owner's Discussion Thread