or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic 12G Settings/Issues Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic 12G Settings/Issues Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I don't know. However, I would not assume that the EU X10 model is the same as the NA X1 model.

Hmm, indeed, if I check the US X1 figures about power consumption:
  • Rated Power Consumption 399 W
  • On Mode Average Power Consumption 210 W
Compared to the EU X10:
  • Rated Power Consumption 350 W
  • On mode Average Power Consumption 284 W
This implies I think it's really a different television... Now I still don't know what to do
post #32 of 4414
Thanks D-Nice. A relative just recently picked up this display. It's not bad at all and I am sure your settings will nudge it toward a better grayscale (hey, I tried to steer them to a 5020 instead, but given that the thing will be on Noggin most of the time, it's plenty adequate for their needs).

Quick question - how do you get into the Service Menu to perform the color offsets?
post #33 of 4414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedking View Post

I'm just saying that this procedure might not be for everyone. D-Nice is kind enough to provide this information for "videophiles" but it's far from a mandatory procedure. If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't do it.

And when you don't do it, I will not be resposible for the end result when you apply my settings as that result will be completely different.
post #34 of 4414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

Thanks D-Nice. A relative just recently picked up this display. It's not bad at all and I am sure your settings will nudge it toward a better grayscale (hey, I tried to steer them to a 5020 instead, but given that the thing will be on Noggin most of the time, it's plenty adequate for their needs).

Quick question - how do you get into the Service Menu to perform the color offsets?

Hold down the "Volume -" key on the side of the panel and press the "Info" button on the remote 3 times. You are on your own from that point.
post #35 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Hold down the "Volume -" key on the side of the panel and press the "Info" button on the remote 3 times. You are on your own from that point.

So should we just stay out of there?


And do you really think the end result will be completely different without a proper break in.
That sucks

This being my first hdtv I waited a couple months researching. I was too impatient once I got it to go thhrough all the break in stuff.
post #36 of 4414
How do you get out of service menu?Do you just shut off the power?
post #37 of 4414
I took a look at the post calibration report and can't even begin to figure it out.

Is it on par with the TH50PX80U? Looking at the Luminance on the report can I come to the conclusion that it struggles with Red, Blue, and Magenta?

How does the X1 compare with the PN50A450 (other than the fact that it would cost me $200 more)?
post #38 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Hold down the "Volume -" key on the side of the panel and press the "Info" button on the remote 3 times.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

You are on your own from that point.

What, you mean you won't help me buy them another one if I f#%& up and fry it?

But seriously, though, and to respond to whiteboy714, I've been into my Pioneer 5080's service menu plenty of times to fiddle with color settings and to check hours of use. The bottom line with accessing any service menu is that it's pretty hard to screw things up if you

a) pay attention to what you are doing while you are doing it, and

b) do NOT venture into any other areas of the Service Menu and play with any settings, because there are things in there that can definitely kill your display.

I would also suggest jotting down your original color values somewhere.
post #39 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

So should we just stay out of there?


And do you really think the end result will be completely different without a proper break in.
That sucks

This being my first hdtv I waited a couple months researching. I was too impatient once I got it to go thhrough all the break in stuff.

If you are not comfortable navigating in the service menu then stay out of it. It would stink if you messed something up.
Like you, I did not run break-in images. On the 3 sets I have now I have never done it. I just set everything to zero for the first 100 hours, watched full screen HD and then took some peoples settings here and tweaked to my liking.
My PX42500U and 600U are working beautiful to this day.

The 50X1 now has about 80 hours on it. Time to start tweaking a little.
I thank everyone for their settings and expertise. It's always fun learning.
post #40 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerRock View Post

I took a look at the post calibration report and can't even begin to figure it out.

Is it on par with the TH50PX80U? Looking at the Luminance on the report can I come to the conclusion that it struggles with Red, Blue, and Magenta?

How does the X1 compare with the PN50A450 (other than the fact that it would cost me $200 more)?


First you said you bought a X1 and loved it, then you said you returned it and bought a 450, and liked it better(after listening to the veterans on the board), now you are back on a Panasonic settings thread. Now you want to know how it compares with a set that you already had with a set you currently own....wow...
post #41 of 4414
Im new to the hdtvs and have been looking around at one in my budget.So my ? is from dnice review(looked at the file from dnice and got confused) do the x1 compare with the other plasmas in this price range?
post #42 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

Thanks!



What, you mean you won't help me buy them another one if I f#%& up and fry it?

But seriously, though, and to respond to whiteboy714, I've been into my Pioneer 5080's service menu plenty of times to fiddle with color settings and to check hours of use. The bottom line with accessing any service menu is that it's pretty hard to screw things up if you

a) pay attention to what you are doing while you are doing it, and

b) do NOT venture into any other areas of the Service Menu and play with any settings, because there are things in there that can definitely kill your display.

I would also suggest jotting down your original color values somewhere.

ok thanks for the reply
post #43 of 4414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

But seriously, though, and to respond to whiteboy714, I've been into my Pioneer 5080's service menu plenty of times to fiddle with color settings and to check hours of use. The bottom line with accessing any service menu is that it's pretty hard to screw things up if you

a) pay attention to what you are doing while you are doing it, and

b) do NOT venture into any other areas of the Service Menu and play with any settings, because there are things in there that can definitely kill your display.

I would also suggest jotting down your original color values somewhere.

Pioneer's Service Menu is not the same as Panasonic's. It's much easier to hit the wrong button and screw something up in a Panasonic.
post #44 of 4414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

So should we just stay out of there?

Only venture into the Service Menu if you know what you are doing. It's not that hard. The 2 really major things you have to do is read the damn screen as it contains the instructions for how to navigate a particular menu and write down the settings you are about to change BEFORE you change them You would be amazed at how hard that is for a lot of people.


Quote:


And do you really think the end result will be completely different without a proper break in.

Yes.
post #45 of 4414
D,

Two questions relative to your calibration.

First, while the calibration report seems positive, anything from your experience with this panel that would cause you to question the general assumption that the 9g kuros will trump the '09 pannys? (hint: 151 purchase imminent if not).

Second, maybe I'm missing it in the report, but can you comment on black levels.

Thx.
post #46 of 4414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post

First, while the calibration report seems positive, anything from your experience with this panel that would cause you to question the general assumption that the 9g kuros will trump the '09 pannys? (hint: 151 purchase imminent if not).

Nope. The 12G Panasonics are good. But they are not the 151FD.

Quote:


Second, maybe I'm missing it in the report, but can you comment on black levels.

Thx.

The lowest minimum luminacne level i could achieve in Cinema mode was 0.015fL. I measured 0.012fL in Custom mode however, it has a S-shaped gamma curve that just does not jiive with me... though others may like it.
post #47 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Only venture into the Service Menu if you know what you are doing. It's not that hard. The 2 really major things you have to do is read the damn screen as it contains the instructions for how to navigate a particular menu and write down the settings you are about to change BEFORE you change them You would be amazed at how hard that is for a lot of people.


Yes.

Hey thanks man, I just went in there and checked the hours, yah looks like plenty of stuff to mess up.

I only have 58 hours so far so I'm gonna go for a while longer then see if I want to get in there.
post #48 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Nope. The 12G Panasonics are good. But they are not the 151FD.

The lowest minimum luminacne level i could achieve in Cinema mode was 0.015fL. I measured 0.012fL in Custom mode however, it has a S-shaped gamma curve that just does not jiive with me... though others may like it.

Thanks much. Helps put my mind at ease.
post #49 of 4414
Thread Starter 
Here are Custom mode settings for the X1 series (they must be used with the Service Menu offsets). I cannot classify these as reference settings due to the gamma curve. However, they will allow you to have 40fL of peak light output for daytime usage.

Picture:
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 72
Brightness: 62
Color: 40
Tint: G1
Sharpness: 43
Color Temp: Warm
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Advance Options
MPEG NR: Off
Black Level: Light
post #50 of 4414
I thought the service menu changes would only apply to D-Nice's TV. Don't the service menu settings vary from one X1 to another?

I believe these changes may give undesireable results on another person's X1.
post #51 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Nope. The 12G Panasonics are good. But they are not the 151FD.

Hi,

I'm quite annoyed by the Rainbow Effect of my 9G Kuro and I'm thinking of buying a 12G Panasonic. Can you say something about the RBE of the Panasonic?
post #52 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

... and write down the settings you are about to change BEFORE you change them You would be amazed at how hard that is for a lot of people.

I've used a digital camera before to take a picture of a screen's worth of settings at a time. Nice way to quickly record multiple settings before you change anything.
post #53 of 4414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post

I thought the service menu changes would only apply to D-Nice's TV. Don't the service menu settings vary from one X1 to another?

I believe these changes may give undesireable results on another person's X1.

Not true. That is the prime reason why there is a specific break-in period. The variance between these sets are very small and you can control how they deviate during the first 100+ hours by using the same controlled content. This procedure has proven accurate results with Pioneer sets per mulitple sources.
post #54 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by noc_noc View Post

Hi,

I'm quite annoyed by the Rainbow Effect of my 9G Kuro and I'm thinking of buying a 12G Panasonic. Can you say something about the RBE of the Panasonic?

The what?
post #55 of 4414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noc_noc View Post

Hi,

I'm quite annoyed by the Rainbow Effect of my 9G Kuro and I'm thinking of buying a 12G Panasonic. Can you say something about the RBE of the Panasonic?

If you see a rainbow on any plasma, you will see them on all plasmas.
post #56 of 4414
Will the black level be any better this year on Panny's? I'm speaking to the THX model that will be equivalent to the PZ800's.
post #57 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

TC-P42X1/50X1 Reference Settings

Picture:
Picture Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 62
Color: 30
Tint: G8
Sharpness: 42
Color Temp: Warm
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Advance Options
MPEG NR: Off
Black Level: Light

If we aren't comfortable going into the service menu, will these basic settings still be accurate or do they become worthless without the service menu offsets?

I used to have a 50px80u, and I know from messing around with different settings anything above 55 brightness was the point where black would start turning white, and anything below 40 color would look very dull. I guess it depends on what source you use what kind of results you will get.
post #58 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Here are Custom mode settings for the X1 series (they must be used with the Service Menu offsets).

Probably a dumb question, but why? What happens if you don't use the service menu offsets?
post #59 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

If we aren't comfortable going into the service menu, will these basic settings still be accurate or do they become worthless without the service menu offsets?

.

exactly, so how about settings based off of a stock service menu, D-Nice?
I just applied D's settings to mine and it looked really nice. I didn't touch the service menu.
I'm just curious if I could do better?
post #60 of 4414
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Probably a dumb question, but why? What happens if you don't use the service menu offsets?

Probably don't get the same results. Think of the volume control on your PC in windows as opposed to the volume control on your speakers.

If your speakers are down all the way, it doesn't matter how high you set your windows volume.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Panasonic 12G Settings/Issues Thread