or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread - Page 102

post #3031 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX1800N1 View Post

There is no "picture mode" setting on my player. Are you talking about the TV? I changed that and it's much better. I haven't had a chance yet to see if other video sources are now too bright in comparison.

The firmware version is listed as BEv2.13_101204A_XAA. A check for new firmware confirmed that none newer is available.

Yes, there are picture mode settings if you have a 3600. Click the info button on your remote during playback, and you will have Tittle, Chapter, Playing Time, Audio, Subtitle, Angle, Bonusview Video/Audio, and Picture mode. It might not change much, but I would give that a try. I like dynamic, but there is also a custom setting that would allow you to configure the settings.
post #3032 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

I can't imagine why your picture would be so dark now, but I wonder if the reset toggled your HDMI Format setting in your setup menu. The normal setting would be "TV", but you can try changing it to "Monitor" or maybe it is on "Monitor" and it needs to be changed to "TV". Worth a shot.... I assume you are hooked via HDMI? What kind of TV? As far as checking the picture settings that was suggested above, he is referring to the option that comes up when hit the "info" button on your remote. You can arrow down to a setting where you can pick different picture presets. None of which would cure a super dark picture though.....

Right now it is hooked up with both HDMI and component video- HDMI for the audio and component video because the best TV I have is an old Sony WEGA that is not HD. This has worked fine up till now. I have the player set to "TV". Other movies don't seem as dark, so maybe it's just that movie...?
post #3033 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Yes, there are picture mode settings if you have a 3600. Click the info button on your remote during playback, and you will have Tittle, Chapter, Playing Time, Audio, Subtitle, Angle, Bonusview Video/Audio, and Picture mode. It might not change much, but I would give that a try. I like dynamic, but there is also a custom setting that would allow you to configure the settings.

Ok, I found that setting, but changing it didn't seem to make any difference in the picture- probably due to my Yamaha amp's video processing (RX-V3900).
post #3034 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank View Post

My understanding is that is also caused by the MKVMerge problem. You might try the same fix.

You have to use an older version of MKVMerge and it'll work fine.
post #3035 of 3252
My 3600 has a big problem playing Salt. The video quality is very good but the audio will drop out on the DTS master sometime for 5 min or the sync is way off about 3 to 4 seconds. When out of sync I have to stop the movie and restart it to correct the sync problem. The Audio drop out I have no fix for it. Any one else having this problem?
post #3036 of 3252
Are you running v2.13? If not, I would suggest upgrading.
post #3037 of 3252
3600 player broke...like lots (not all) featues...

Can get a used one for about 80.00 or so....

Think i should get this? or get another Samsung Bluray with another bunch of issues that create massive forum threads...?

thanks
post #3038 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatate View Post

My 3600 has a big problem playing Salt. The video quality is very good but the audio will drop out on the DTS master sometime for 5 min or the sync is way off about 3 to 4 seconds. When out of sync I have to stop the movie and restart it to correct the sync problem. The Audio drop out I have no fix for it. Any one else having this problem?

I have the same problem on my 3600 with Salt - but only on the director's cut or extended cut versions of the movie. The theatrical version works fine. I was wondering if the breaks between versions is to blame.
post #3039 of 3252
My 3600 wont do the firmware update. My last version is 2.05 its trying to install 2.07 but I see there is a 2.13 out now. It is always stuck on the firmware update. now processing screen. its step 4 but wont go any further. What do I do? Im connected via a ethernet cable. Ive unplugged it once already cause it was stuck. What do I do now. I updated it cause I was trying to watch The Pacific and disc 2 would not work. It would freeze up i was hoping updating the firmware would fix it but now it wont even do that.
post #3040 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotp94 View Post

My 3600 wont do the firmware update. My last version is 2.05 its trying to install 2.07 but I see there is a 2.13 out now. It is always stuck on the firmware update. now processing screen. its step 4 but wont go any further. What do I do? Im connected via a ethernet cable. Ive unplugged it once already cause it was stuck. What do I do now. I updated it cause I was trying to watch The Pacific and disc 2 would not work. It would freeze up i was hoping updating the firmware would fix it but now it wont even do that.

Can you get into your menus? Go into your BD-live memory storage and clear that out. Then follow the procedure to do a full player reset... I believe by holding the fast forward/skip ahead key; refer to your manual. Then power it up, select your languange and try the network update again. If you are hooked up with an ethernet cable that should be fine. It sounds like the firmware is being downloaded just fine, it is just hanging up when it tries to actually write to your memory... maybe by clearing out your BD-live memory, it will help. It shouldn't matter, but with bluray players, you never know. Otherwise, if the firmware update still doesn't work, you will have to do the USB update procedure. Be sure to give it plenty of time to finalize the update, it can take upwards of 30 minutes sometimes....
post #3041 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeucelaw View Post

I have the same problem on my 3600 with Salt - but only on the director's cut or extended cut versions of the movie. The theatrical version works fine. I was wondering if the breaks between versions is to blame.

I am curious if you guys are bitstreaming the audio to your receiver or using PCM. I have noticed some titles just have problems with the bitstream function, but using PCM works just fine.....
post #3042 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Can you get into your menus? Go into your BD-live memory storage and clear that out. Then follow the procedure to do a full player reset... I believe by holding the fast forward/skip ahead key; refer to your manual. Then power it up, select your languange and try the network update again. If you are hooked up with an ethernet cable that should be fine. It sounds like the firmware is being downloaded just fine, it is just hanging up when it tries to actually write to your memory... maybe by clearing out your BD-live memory, it will help. It shouldn't matter, but with bluray players, you never know. Otherwise, if the firmware update still doesn't work, you will have to do the USB update procedure. Be sure to give it plenty of time to finalize the update, it can take upwards of 30 minutes sometimes....

now when I try to delete the bd content its says. all bd data will be deleted. do u want to continue? i click yes and nothing happens its like it locks up. Out of the 900 and some available in the internal memory i had 745 available. Once i click yes i cannot move the courser to no. this is really starting to frustrate me!!!!
post #3043 of 3252
Hello fellow owners. I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem on my Samsung BD-P3600, purchased April 2009. So, it is out of warranty I believe.

First of all, this player is LIGHTLY used. Probably turned on once every month or two weeks at the most. The other night, we watched a Blu-ray just fine. Stopped the disc, inserted a DVD, and from then on, it just kept spitting the discs back out. It said "LOAD" on the display, but I don't believe the discs are actually spinning up.

I disassembled the unit and found noting noticeably wrong. I even took the lid to the drive off. I never once saw the spindle motor twitch.

I also noticed a buzzing sound coming from the power supply.

This leaves me to two possible obvious problems: A bad drive, or a bad PSU. Has anyone seen either of these problems?

Now, this was one expensive player, and it is still a good one when it works. I know Blu-ray players are cheaper these days, but I'm not exactly wanting to buy a new one if I can fix this one on the cheap. I already had it replaced by Samsung once, and sent it in a second time because on the repair, they sent me back a plastic cover that looked like it had been rubbed with sandpaper.

I may find some time to dig a little deeper in the player, maybe test the motor with a battery.

As a last resort, I am ready to buy a new player. I was looking at maybe the BD-C6900 or something. I read where the BD-C6500 was really slow. If anyone has any recommendations in that area, that'd be great. I don't necessarily need 3D or analog audio outs, but I want the player to be fast loading.
post #3044 of 3252
have essentially the same problem...Really liked it when it works....I am not sure i am doing the RESET correctly.....Have you tried it?

Let me know asap if you can, as i am ready to buy a Playstation 3 and be done with this Samsung...
Although, i am at my sisters right now, and have tried Media Streaming her Playstation 3 , AVI, MKV files, and almost unplayable, stuttering etc....

What do you know about 6900 player? I keep reading "issues" about all these Samsung products, and yes, i paid alot for my 3600 player....

thanks
post #3045 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm86 View Post

have essentially the same problem...Really liked it when it works....I am not sure i am doing the RESET correctly.....Have you tried it?

Let me know asap if you can, as i am ready to buy a Playstation 3 and be done with this Samsung...
Although, i am at my sisters right now, and have tried Media Streaming her Playstation 3 , AVI, MKV files, and almost unplayable, stuttering etc....

What do you know about 6900 player? I keep reading "issues" about all these Samsung products, and yes, i paid alot for my 3600 player....

thanks

I don't know much about the 6900, but its the only one that didn't get "slow, sluggish" comments in the Cons section of various reviews of players. Almost all of the Samsung players got generally good reviews up front. I think it is the reliability that is killing the brand.

I've been digging up parts info for the 3600. I'll let you know what I find. I wonder... has anyone had any success with Samsung doing repairs or replacements free out of warranty?
post #3046 of 3252
For what it's worth, until last week, I had updated the firmware only once, going from 1.03 to 1.04 via wifi. With all of the reports of problems, I had held off on doing any of the subsequent updates, but having purchased a number of newer discs (The Alien Anthology, Avatar) that would not play without the newer fimrware, I updated from 1.04 to 2.13 via flashdrive and have so far played Avatar, The Town, and a few other discs without any issues. (I have not yet re-established my wireless connection and so I haven't tested any of the other functions.)
post #3047 of 3252
I am staying on 2.12 as currently no issues with that version. what would persuade me to update would be the addition of a zoom function, allowing us to expand widescreen films to remove top and bottom bars (loosing the sides of the picture is a trade off I can live with on some film). I hope its a planned function for the future as my samsung tv does not have a screen size that does this job unlike my previous toshiba that did, it was really quite usefull and called '16:9 zoom' if i remember correctly. BB
post #3048 of 3252
Is anyone else having trouble getting a FULL HD stream via Netflix on their player? I have mediacom in the Twin Cities MN with 11Mbps download speeds. I have tried wireless and wired, reset the modem and router, the results are the same. I have verified via speedtest I am getting my normal download speeds on my pc, but for some reason I cannot get an HD connection to Netflix no matter what. Is Netflix or mediacom throttling my connection?
post #3049 of 3252
I have 20+ Mbps download and first time I downloaded HD "Wall Street" I had sound & no picture. Turned off the unit & tried again and everything looked great.
post #3050 of 3252
watching NG Denali National Park now on Netflix.
full bars and HD quality indicator. looks great.

Minneapolis
Comcast Performance (+12 Mb i think)
firmware 2.13
post #3051 of 3252
How much will it cost to send this to Samsung to fix?
Spent 350.00 14 months ago...absurd...

anyway for Samsung to have compassion on some of us? or just let us all go and buy a competitors product?

btw: Have tried all the resets etc...

thanks
post #3052 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm86 View Post

How much will it cost to send this to Samsung to fix?
Spent 350.00 14 months ago...absurd...

anyway for Samsung to have compassion on some of us? or just let us all go and buy a competitors product?

btw: Have tried all the resets etc...

thanks

Not the same situation here....but I went through Samsung's online customer return process. Mine is out of warranty....and I was quoted $160 to have third party try to fix mine. In my case, I'm stuck on firmware 2.07. The update process always stops on step 4. For the most part it works well...but there are newer discs that I believe 2.13 would address. In any case....$160 is absurd....will replace this machine sometime this year. Sigh.....
post #3053 of 3252
I'm having a problem with my 3600 and accessing my Netflix queue. When it goes from the red Netflix screen to the white one with a red border at the top, I normally see a spinning film reel icon and then my queue appears. Instead the reel icon stops spinning and freezes. The only way out of the screen seems to be powering the player off.

I have tried resetting the player twice, reactivating it, deactivating it and then reactivating it again. It was previously working with a DVI to HDMI cable to a Sony HD XBR. I tried unplugging that connection and using component video instead.

It has no problem accessing my network and Pandora works fine. Anyone have any ideas of what else I can try?
Anyone else having this problem?
post #3054 of 3252
Thought I'd follow up on my last post on problems accessing my Netflix queue. I have just about everything imaginable to get this to work including deauthorizing thie player and reauthorizing it. Changing the name, password and security level on my network.

Today I talked to tech support at Samsung, Netflix and my ISP. A level two tech at Samsung told me they are working on a firmware update for the problem and after I asked, that other people were having this same issue. Nevertheless, he suggested I call Netflix, who in turn wanted me to call Samsung. I told them I already had. They then asked me to call my ISP.

Perhaps new firmware will solve the problem? I was a bit wary of buying a Samsung due to previous history with other devices made by them. This player had the features I wanted at the price I wanted. I am glad I have a Panasonic BD85 now and hope it doesn't develop this rather odd problem as well.
post #3055 of 3252
New Issue -

I have had the 3600 unit for a while now (a year I think not sure) and it was working fine until my wife put in " Eat Pray Love " yesterday. Half way through the movie the audio stopped working.

I changed HDMI ports on the back of my Samsung LCD-TV, and no change.

Then I tried to do a firmware update. Update went well without any problems. No lose of power and it turned itself off after it was done.

Then, KA-Blowie.

Now when I put a disk in, it will either play the movie with audio (if that is the way the disk is set up), or go to the disk's menu with audio, but the remote is now useless except for the power button. It will turn the unit off, but I cannot access any menu from the disk or the player itself.

If it goes to the disk menu, I cannot get it to play. If it does play, I cannot get it to fast forward or stop or pause while it's playing.

WTH ??
post #3056 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by the football ref View Post

New Issue -

I have had the 3600 unit for a while now (a year I think not sure) and it was working fine until my wife put in " Eat Pray Love " yesterday. Half way through the movie the audio stopped working.

I changed HDMI ports on the back of my Samsung LCD-TV, and no change.

Then I tried to do a firmware update. Update went well without any problems. No lose of power and it turned itself off after it was done.

Then, KA-Blowie.

Now when I put a disk in, it will either play the movie with audio (if that is the way the disk is set up), or go to the disk's menu with audio, but the remote is now useless except for the power button. It will turn the unit off, but I cannot access any menu from the disk or the player itself.

If it goes to the disk menu, I cannot get it to play. If it does play, I cannot get it to fast forward or stop or pause while it's playing.

WTH ??

Have you done a player reset? holding down the one of the transport buttons for a period of time.. refer to your manual for the exact procedure. Then go in to your menu and delete all your BD-Live storage..
post #3057 of 3252
For you folks contemplating paying to repair the 3600 -- just buy a new player. Seriously. I'm on my third one from Samsung. When this one dies, which it may any day now based on the way it's been locking up this week, I will gladly toss it over the balcony.

I have many, many samsung products, including one of their great TV's, but the reliability of this player sucks.

For you folks who like the streaming aspects, just grab yourself a Roku box. Netflix, pandora, hulu plus, etc... I got one when my first 3600 died, and haven't looked back.

Sorry to pop in and thread crap, but after countless hours on the phone with Samsung, two "stuck on load" players, one they "lost" which took 2 months to get replaced, and now having random lock ups and sync issues, I thought I'd post on the issue.

X
post #3058 of 3252
I will never buy another Samsung Blu-ray player, or any Samsung tech for that matter. I went through the same nightmare as everyone else here with it breaking down. In my case it bricked during a routine automatic update. I should have bought an LG or Panasonic player!
post #3059 of 3252
I've owned this player for just under a year now, and have mostly just used it to stream divx files from my PC. The last two weeks it has started skip and stutter whenever the picture has lots going on in it (like a crowd scene) or when lots of lights flicker (like flash bulbs or concert strobes). Has anyone else experienced this?
post #3060 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminskull View Post
I've owned this player for just under a year now, and have mostly just used it to stream divx files from my PC. The last two weeks it has started skip and stutter whenever the picture has lots going on in it (like a crowd scene) or when lots of lights flicker (like flash bulbs or concert strobes). Has anyone else experienced this?
Nope, mine has been rock solid going on 2 years now. The only disapointment I have with this player is the fact that it will never stream Netflix(Canada). Are these newer films you are streaming? What firmware version are you running? Perhaps a FW upgrade will solve it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread