or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread - Page 4

post #91 of 3252
No problems here with wireless using a Linksys UltraN rangeplus. The only problem is when my ISP gets bogged down.

S~
post #92 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post

It's beginning to sound like the WiFi receiver in the dongle isn't very good. Try moving the router closer if possible, or reorienting it or adjusting the antennae. Perhaps a newer G router with MIMO. Me, I'm a big fan of wired Ethernet....



Do you mean a wireless N router? That is the newest thing out, mine is a G router. My manual says this G router is capable of 58Mbps speeds, I don't know if I need an N router, they run at 5.8Ghz instead of 2.4. Maybe trying a different router is an idea, I don't know.

Also my dvd player is maybe 10' from my router so I can't see a problem there.
post #93 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb2428 View Post

Do you mean a wireless N router? That is the newest thing out, mine is a G router. My manual says this G router is capable of 58Mbps speeds, I don't know if I need an N router, they run at 5.8Ghz instead of 2.4. Maybe trying a different router is an idea, I don't know.

Also my dvd player is maybe 10' from my router so I can't see a problem there.

Wireless G is notorious for being susceptible to interference. 2.4Ghz is one of the most popular bands throughout CE and the Wireless G spec doesn't take well to a lot of crosstalk (esp from other nearby wireless transmitters). Wireless N routers still generally use the 2.4Ghz band (there are a few that use the 5Ghz band and a few that do dual band) and tends to thrive amid crosstalk. I can tell you that many people "solved" their wireless network issues with a MIMO router, and even more with a new Wireless N router vs a single transmitting antenna Wireless G.

i doubt its the antenna from the samsung dongle. try and taking off the network security just to test the signal reception first.
post #94 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb2428 View Post

UPDATE,
Well today I got an idea, why not replace my cables that im using for the 7.1 analog output with hi qual monster cables. BINGO!!!! Now my LFE is bringing the roof down, it about blew up my infinity ps12 when i started a movie with the LFE gain turned up to +10db! So I watched a movie with dolby truehd and set all the gains back to 0, still mind blowing bass. So one problem solved, now i need to figure out how to manualy configure the wireless networking instead of using auto dectect for my settings and see if that helps my networking problem.
Sorry for all the complaining, hope I didn't piss or run anybody off complaining about this unit!

Well, I'm glad to hear about this! What cables were you using before?
post #95 of 3252
Anyone know if the 3600 is as fast as the 1600? I was getting bit by the "i didn't get the best" bug when i saw on engadget that the 3600 shone with high marks, except the 40 second load time was a bear. Is that a mistake? My 1600 loads and is playing in like 10 seconds. It's almost as fast as my PS3. It's one of the things I love about the 1600.

Did Engadget just get a dud or play a dirty disc or something?
post #96 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

Anyone know if the 3600 is as fast as the 1600? I was getting bit by the "i didn't get the best" bug when i saw on engadget that the 3600 shone with high marks, except the 40 second load time was a bear. Is that a mistake? My 1600 loads and is playing in like 10 seconds. It's almost as fast as my PS3. It's one of the things I love about the 1600.

Did Engadget just get a dud or play a dirty disc or something?

Depends on whether they used a Java-heavy disk or not. What disks have you used that are so quick, and have you tried any Java-heavy ones like POTC 1-3 or Ratatouille?

Load times are also affected by BD-Live content and whether it has to be downloaded or is already locally available on the player, I believe.

AFAIK,

shinksma
post #97 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdale View Post

Well, I'm glad to hear about this! What cables were you using before?



I was just a short 3 wire cable that came with a vcr years ago that had 3 wires in it for left, right, and video that i was using, the thing is it worked fine when i had the 2550, maybe i broke a wire unpluging it and pluging in the 3600!


Quote:


Category 5 Anyone know if the 3600 is as fast as the 1600? I was getting bit by the "i didn't get the best" bug when i saw on engadget that the 3600 shone with high marks, except the 40 second load time was a bear. Is that a mistake? My 1600 loads and is playing in like 10 seconds. It's almost as fast as my PS3. It's one of the things I love about the 1600.

Did Engadget just get a dud or play a dirty disc or something?


If your talking about load times my 3600 loads a BD disk in 12 seconds. The 2550 took 32 seconds!
post #98 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb2428 View Post

I had this porblem to, no network or shared pc found, then i disabled the firewall in the router and then it started working.

If you mean that you allow Wired <-> WiFi internal communication, fine. But I'm *sure* you don't mean to kill the router's internet firewall -- that would open your whole network to the entire internet, which is probably not a good idea.
post #99 of 3252
Hey there folks. I just purchased a P3600 from Best Buy, but the only one they had was the display model. As such, I just got the unit, and the remote. No owners manual, or any other hardware. I'm trying to connect this wirelessly to my AirPort Express, and having zero luck. Do I need to attach any hardware to this unit to get wireless access. Additionally, I've connected my unit directly to the modem, and it still did not get an internet signal. Am I missing something? I've been able to connect 1 Mac, 2 PC's and an iPhone to this router with no issues, so something is amiss. Can anyone find an electronic version of the owners manual on line? It does not appear to be on the Samsung website either.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

BTW, the picture and 7.1 analog out sound is great!
post #100 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post

If you mean that you allow Wired <-> WiFi internal communication, fine. But I'm *sure* you don't mean to kill the router's internet firewall -- that would open your whole network to the entire internet, which is probably not a good idea.



Well I did mean that, but I enabled windows xp built in firewall, which im sure isn't as good! I even had to disable my AVG internet security firewall, it was blocking my dvd player from connecting to the network for pc streaming, and I couldnt figure out why. So when im done watching a movie via netflix streaming I then enable the routers firewall, I really don't know what else to do.
post #101 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S79 View Post

If anyone has purchased the 3600, or has seen it in action you are heartily encouraged to post your findings here! Especially concerning its SD upconversion in comparison to the 25X0, as I think the supposed lack of the HQV chip this time around may seriously limit this player's appeal (at least in Canada, where the wi-fi is about the only thing worth counting as an "upgrade").

Thanks in advance!

Doug

I eMailed Samsung TS/CS in regard to the P3600 model trades off the Reon HQV chip for WiFi. This was the reply:
"Thank you for contacting Samsung.
The WiFi and Reon HQV have nothing to do with each other but this model still has the Reon HQV."
So if this is true, the BD-P3600 "may" be a winner. I hate the form factor though. But from what notoriety the Reon has and is acknowledged to be the bottom of the pile of their chips, I am hoping that it and its big brothers will start showing up all over the place. It would be pure stupidity not to be using these, unless the MPAA wants increased sales on Blu-Ray and use poor DVD UC to do it. But it is a deal breaker. Guess I'll go put the P2550 on lay-a-way at BB, so that I can have some more time to sort this out AND not lose out.

Hope this helps . . .
. . . fb
post #102 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenett View Post

Well, this has been bugging me all night now. I moved the TV and Blu Ray player into my office and connected directly to the modem (Time Capsule) via ethernet cable. No problems - passed network connection test, can watch streamed movies from Netflix. There do not appear to be firewall or ISP issues - I just can't do it wirelessly!

I'm not a huge computer guy, but when I can connect 2 laptops, iPhone, Blackberry, Wii, DishNetwork VIP622, and a network printer - all wirelessly with just my network name and WPA2 - why can't this Blu Ray player work the same way?

How do you have your 622 connected wirelessly? I have a 722 and would like to do the same. Have tried a TRENDnet AP but it transmits 100% of the time and clogs my network. Whereas, hardwired no problems.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

. . . fb
post #103 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyprops View Post

Hey there folks. I just purchased a P3600 from Best Buy, but the only one they had was the display model. As such, I just got the unit, and the remote. No owners manual, or any other hardware. I'm trying to connect this wirelessly to my AirPort Express, and having zero luck. Do I need to attach any hardware to this unit to get wireless access. Additionally, I've connected my unit directly to the modem, and it still did not get an internet signal. Am I missing something? I've been able to connect 1 Mac, 2 PC's and an iPhone to this router with no issues, so something is amiss. Can anyone find an electronic version of the owners manual on line? It does not appear to be on the Samsung website either.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

BTW, the picture and 7.1 analog out sound is great!

do you have the usb wireless dongle? Should be black and a right-angle adapter should also be included in the package. a wireless card is NOT BUILT DIRECTLY WITHIN THIS DEVICE (ala sony 360/560). this wireless usb dongle (that should have been in the box) needs to be attached in order to get wireless access. march back to bb and demand it or return it. that adapter is required or you're basically stuck with a 1600 with onboard memory. dongle sells for $82 if you order it separately and is currently backordered. run, don't walk back to bb!
post #104 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb2428 View Post

Well I did mean that, but I enabled windows xp built in firewall, which im sure isn't as good! I even had to disable my AVG internet security firewall, it was blocking my dvd player from connecting to the network for pc streaming, and I couldnt figure out why. So when im done watching a movie via netflix streaming I then enable the routers firewall, I really don't know what else to do.

I seriously hate AVG's firewall. I ran AVG Internet security until I started noticing the awful resource hog it is. It is also terrible at configuring for external network devices and CE access. blocked me from using my d-link router's usb port for usb drive or printer sharing among other things (wouldn't learn or allow me to create a valid exception either).

I ditched it when my term was up for Norton Internet security. This year's version is actually very good on resources and won't inhibit a lot of the connections/shares you actually want. it allows sharing fairly well to my public folders (there is still the odd hangup over password/account protected shares though -- this is more a problem with Vista as I've found).
post #105 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaks View Post

do you have the usb wireless dongle? Should be black and a right-angle adapter should also be included in the package. a wireless card is NOT BUILT DIRECTLY WITHIN THIS DEVICE (ala sony 360/560). this wireless usb dongle (that should have been in the box) needs to be attached in order to get wireless access. march back to bb and demand it or return it. that adapter is required or you're basically stuck with a 1600 with onboard memory. dongle sells for $82 if you order it separately and is currently backordered. run, don't walk back to bb!

Thanks. It seemed too easy to walk out of BB with just two things! Hopefully they have this thing floating around somewhere. Additionally, I've tried plugging this directly to my Comcast modem, but never pass the Gateway check. Will the P3600 not work if it's connected directly to a modem. That is to say, will it only work connected to a router?
post #106 of 3252
I've been playing around with my 3600 for a couple of days now and very impressed with both picture and sound in sd and hd. the wireless set up went fast and easy.
I love to be able to stream audio from the computer to the 3600 to my home theater I ran a few songs then it stopped working I redid the connection and it worked for a bit and same thing it stopped again connection dropped I thought it could be interference with the wireless I disabled the wireless and connected up the cable to the lan it was fast to set up as well but I had the same problem ran a few songs and lost connection to the router or it froze
I can understand the wireless giveing me grief but a wired connection?
all in all I love the 3600 but since I bought it for the networking and streaming this problem is confusing I don't want to keep the 3600 and hope Samsung come out with a fix month's from now but if anyone has a work around?
post #107 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyprops View Post

Thanks. It seemed too easy to walk out of BB with just two things! Hopefully they have this thing floating around somewhere. Additionally, I've tried plugging this directly to my Comcast modem, but never pass the Gateway check. Will the P3600 not work if it's connected directly to a modem. That is to say, will it only work connected to a router?


Make sure you power cycle the modem before you plugin a different device. Modem are designed to remember the last device connected so that it only allows that device to work. Power cycle will let the modem to reset.
post #108 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyprops View Post

Thanks. It seemed too easy to walk out of BB with just two things! Hopefully they have this thing floating around somewhere. Additionally, I've tried plugging this directly to my Comcast modem, but never pass the Gateway check. Will the P3600 not work if it's connected directly to a modem. That is to say, will it only work connected to a router?

I hope you get this resolved.

Did you pay a discounted price for the display model ? BB displays when discounted generally are going to work the same as their open box items in my experience, you're paying less and what you get is what you get.

Demanding , as previously suggested , something in this scenario is probably not going to get you anywhere, flies, honey, yada yada yada.

A more polite approach may be the way to go, and worst case scenario if they don't have the dongle, you just return the item.
post #109 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dehab View Post

I've been playing around with my 3600 for a couple of days now and very impressed with both picture and sound in sd and hd. the wireless set up went fast and easy.
I love to be able to stream audio from the computer to the 3600 to my home theater I ran a few songs then it stopped working I redid the connection and it worked for a bit and same thing it stopped again connection dropped I thought it could be interference with the wireless I disabled the wireless and connected up the cable to the lan it was fast to set up as well but I had the same problem ran a few songs and lost connection to the router or it froze
I can understand the wireless giveing me grief but a wired connection?
all in all I love the 3600 but since I bought it for the networking and streaming this problem is confusing I don't want to keep the 3600 and hope Samsung come out with a fix month's from now but if anyone has a work around?

how is the computer connected to the network, wired or wireless, and are you sure the problem is on the 3600 as opposed to the pc's end?
post #110 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb2428 View Post

Well I did mean that, but I enabled windows xp built in firewall, which im sure isn't as good! I even had to disable my AVG internet security firewall, it was blocking my dvd player from connecting to the network for pc streaming, and I couldnt figure out why. So when im done watching a movie via netflix streaming I then enable the routers firewall, I really don't know what else to do.

The hardware router itself should not be an issue as far as internal information flow is concerned, except that it needs to have uPnP turned on. The Netflix traffic should be OK, since it starts with a request from inside the firewall. Most router firewalls are MUCH more concerned with traffic originating from the outside.

With the hardware firewall in place you can turn off the Windows firewall completely and then set the AVG firewall to allow the local traffic, which is, I think, uPnP and Windows filesharing.

Having said that, however, I'll admit that there seems to be problems with the BD-P3600's detection of Windows computers, so the whole router/firewall issue might be a red herring. The Samsung firmware seems to have problems. Rushed out the door?
post #111 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyprops View Post

Thanks. It seemed too easy to walk out of BB with just two things! Hopefully they have this thing floating around somewhere. Additionally, I've tried plugging this directly to my Comcast modem, but never pass the Gateway check. Will the P3600 not work if it's connected directly to a modem. That is to say, will it only work connected to a router?

Take it back. They will have BD-P3600s coming out of their ears in a few days. Check the web site's local-store stocking page. Your investment of money and years of use is too much to accept missing parts and no manual.
post #112 of 3252
Has anyone got this thing to find more than one PC or other filesharing device using the auto scan function?

Has anyone used the manual scan mode and got the info they put in to persist past power down?
post #113 of 3252
That's probably the best idea. I'll keep it until they get stocked back up, and then I'll get a new set.
post #114 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post

Take it back. They will have BD-P3600s coming out of their ears in a few days. Check the web site's local-store stocking page. Your investment of money and years of use is too much to accept missing parts and no manual.

I agree. I used the BB website a week ago and used their apparently accurate in-stock availability info to find the one local store in my area with the P3600 in stock, and immediately purchased it online for store pickup. When I arrived later that day, the sales associate didn't see it at first and offered me the demo model, but I insisted and she eventually found the box that was reserved for my order. Overall, I was pleased with my ability to find in-stock items at BB using their website and reserve them.
post #115 of 3252
I just got back from BB. The manufacturer of HQV chip was at BB last week and had a list of players that had the HQV chip. The 3600 was on the list as having the HQV chip. Thats what the guy at BB told me.
post #116 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post

The hardware router itself should not be an issue as far as internal information flow is concerned, except that it needs to have uPnP turned on. The Netflix traffic should be OK, since it starts with a request from inside the firewall. Most router firewalls are MUCH more concerned with traffic originating from the outside.

With the hardware firewall in place you can turn off the Windows firewall completely and then set the AVG firewall to allow the local traffic, which is, I think, uPnP and Windows filesharing.

Having said that, however, I'll admit that there seems to be problems with the BD-P3600's detection of Windows computers, so the whole router/firewall issue might be a red herring. The Samsung firmware seems to have problems. Rushed out the door?

Yea I called samsung tech support and they told me that there was an issue with the belkin routers firewall blocking netflix streaming and I should disable the firewall to connect, this was info samsung got from belkin. I did so and then it started working fine.
post #117 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmurphy88 View Post

Has anyone got this thing to find more than one PC or other filesharing device using the auto scan function?

Has anyone used the manual scan mode and got the info they put in to persist past power down?


Well unfortunatly when I figured out what to enter during the manual connect, it didn't save the info during a power down, so when I started it again I was back to either entering all the info, ip address, shared folder name, id, and password to connect. So I just went back to auto connect for faster connection.
post #118 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

I just got back from BB. The manufacturer of HQV chip was at BB last week and had a list of players that had the HQV chip. The 3600 was on the list as having the HQV chip. Thats what the guy at BB told me.

Now that's good to hear. Maybe someone can just open their 3600 up and see? Anyone willing?
post #119 of 3252
Anyone have an idea as to why I am not able to get a signal for my home network in order to connect the 3600 via WiFi? I'm thinking it has to do with the settings on my router (Linksys WRT54G WEP security key)? It recognizes my network but there is no signal strength so I am unable to connect.

I do occasionally pick up a weak signal from a nearby network so the dongle appears to be working. Distance to my router is not an issue. I set it up within 6 feet of the router and still no signal.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #120 of 3252
Any word on when the BD-P3600 will be released in Canada?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Samsung BD-P3600 Owners/Master thread