or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-xxV5100 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-xxV5100 Thread - Page 54

post #1591 of 4671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommizzle View Post

So Xchair lets get this Class action law suit started. I would be willing to help in any way possible.

Does anyone know how and where we should begin?

It will take a lot of time on your part and may be some money up front to get started.

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/faq.html

.
post #1592 of 4671
What is a reasonable amount of time to wait and see if Sony actually releases updated software to solve the issue? Serialmike got a call from Sony 2 weeks ago about the issue, so it sounds like they might be working on it. I'm not saying I'm against a class action suit if nothing is done, but is less than 2 weeks enough time to give them after they're finally acknowledging the problem exists?
post #1593 of 4671
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentfresh View Post

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait and see if Sony actually releases updated software to solve the issue? Serialmike got a call from Sony 2 weeks ago about the issue, so it sounds like they might be working on it. I'm not saying I'm against a class action suit if nothing is done, but is less than 2 weeks enough time to give them after they're finally acknowledging the problem exists?

It took Samsung 3 months to fix an issue with their blu-ray player AFTER a class-action lawsuit was filed.
So, I wouldn't expect Sony to do any miracles and produce a fix in 2-4 weeks.
Also, there's the assumption it can be fixed with a FW update.
post #1594 of 4671
Seems like overnight the set developed a "storm" of clouding. Didn't touch any settings. I had already noticed the flashlighting, but now the images look washed out. Even with Blu-ray, I see that backgrounds are cloudy and hazy. I've tried all possible solutions. This stinks.
post #1595 of 4671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatepincushion View Post

Seems like overnight the set developed a "storm" of clouding. Didn't touch any settings. I had already noticed the flashlighting, but now the images look washed out. Even with Blu-ray, I see that backgrounds are cloudy and hazy. I've tried all possible solutions. This stinks.

Check out post #1591 in this thread. It might help.
post #1596 of 4671
Ugh, I just noticed flashlighting for the first time. This tv seems to be a real lemon.
post #1597 of 4671
Any lawyers here?
post #1598 of 4671
Ugh. OK, now this HDMI sound cutout is really ticking me off. Anyone get this fixed or know the next step other than talking to Indian Sony support for 2 hours?

Nevermind, found it through sony.com.
post #1599 of 4671
What happened to Sony? I thought they made excellent sets?
post #1600 of 4671
dave2118, what did you find at Sony.com? The way to complain to someone else or a fix for the sound?
post #1601 of 4671
I just found a listing of local authorized repair people to come out and fix it. From what I read, they have to replace some motherboard or something like that. I called the place and they needed my serial number to order the part. So apparently, they now of this issue and know exactly what to fix.

I just have to wait a week. Hopefully this doesn't happen on Sunday.

I still heart this TV.
post #1602 of 4671
This AVS Forum has been so helpful and valuable to me that I wondered if any of you know of a similar forum for computer equipment. I just bought a color laser printer and tried to find something like this but never did. Thanks for any help, Art.
post #1603 of 4671
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolowl View Post

This AVS Forum has been so helpful and valuable to me that I wondered if any of you know of a similar forum for computer equipment. I just bought a color laser printer and tried to find something like this but never did. Thanks for any help, Art.

depends on what you want. check out tomshardware.com
post #1604 of 4671
edit--500th post !! (100 per year average...)

I too am having the "red flashing" issue -- although I called it a 'shifting palette' issue !! Newest FW too btw. Here's a cut and paste as many people watching this thread probably didn't see it. It's also my belief that EVERY tv is suffering this issue but as it is only present in certain situations people aren't noticing it. I first noticed it as I kept seeing a dimming and brightening and then managed to link that to certain screen movements, began watching it closer, noticed that the palette would shift and then began linking the behavior. This post was BEFORE reading anything in this thread about this issue.
-----
Hi, happy new owner of a Sony KDL-52V5100--first LCD TV, I did have an HDTV previously to this one which was a Toshiba 30" CRT. After watching the new Tonight Show (or whatever it's now called) with Jay Leno I noticed an issue where the palette seems to shift. This is most noticeable on people's faces but is also happening on other parts of the screen. I have all image + color enhancement set to off and am using only HDMI cables, my TV is not very calibrated but I am using settings suggested by another set owner on AVS. Additionally, my set does have the updated firmware which allows for auto contrast adjusting to be off and it is off. I have ruled cable out as the culprit as I have watched a 720p x264 version of The Jay Leno show on my PS3 on a different input with a different HDMI cable and notice the same effect.

Now this shifting palette is not happening all that often but seems to happen when there are other major things happening on the screen esp. with bright and fast color. It is MOST apparent on the new Jay Leno show because for the first 15 minutes he is standing in front of two pillars that are on his left and right that are constantly dulling/brightening--I notice the palette shifting when either the pillars rapidly change colors AND when Jay moves enough where parts of his body also move over the colors. I have also seen this on other news programs in HD when the background is fairly consistent and then a big bright banner ad on the bottom will swoop in or out that the rest of the scene is being effected! For movies and general TV watching it doesn't happen very often, but the most reproducible example is when I'm watching cable and then bring up the info banner (takes up a big chunk) I notice the palette on the entire screen brightens. Is this an inherent LCD issue that has to due with backlighting or something, OR does this sound like an issue with my TV? It seems like an LCD issue, but after some googling/researching am not seeing it mentioned. The palette shift isn't very huge, and will only happen when certain conditions are right, but it can be unbearable--sometimes on the new Leno show the palette can shift 4 times in under 10 seconds!!!
post #1605 of 4671
I definitely saw it last night on the Leno show when Vince Vaughn's closeup was on. He had a reddish-purple curtain in the background and his face was changing colors like crazy. I'm busy writing them a more angry letter now. I will state this, I have an S series model, but a friend of mine has a V, and both of our TVs are doing the same thing. These things are lemons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden11 View Post

edit--500th post !! (100 per year average...)

I too am having the "red flashing" issue -- although I called it a 'shifting palette' issue !! Newest FW too btw. Here's a cut and paste as many people watching this thread probably didn't see it. It's also my belief that EVERY tv is suffering this issue but as it is only present in certain situations people aren't noticing it. I first noticed it as I kept seeing a dimming and brightening and then managed to link that to certain screen movements, began watching it closer, noticed that the palette would shift and then began linking the behavior. This post was BEFORE reading anything in this thread about this issue.
-----
Hi, happy new owner of a Sony KDL-52V5100--first LCD TV, I did have an HDTV previously to this one which was a Toshiba 30" CRT. After watching the new Tonight Show (or whatever it's now called) with Jay Leno I noticed an issue where the palette seems to shift. This is most noticeable on people's faces but is also happening on other parts of the screen. I have all image + color enhancement set to off and am using only HDMI cables, my TV is not very calibrated but I am using settings suggested by another set owner on AVS. Additionally, my set does have the updated firmware which allows for auto contrast adjusting to be off and it is off. I have ruled cable out as the culprit as I have watched a 720p x264 version of The Jay Leno show on my PS3 on a different input with a different HDMI cable and notice the same effect.

Now this shifting palette is not happening all that often but seems to happen when there are other major things happening on the screen esp. with bright and fast color. It is MOST apparent on the new Jay Leno show because for the first 15 minutes he is standing in front of two pillars that are on his left and right that are constantly dulling/brightening--I notice the palette shifting when either the pillars rapidly change colors AND when Jay moves enough where parts of his body also move over the colors. I have also seen this on other news programs in HD when the background is fairly consistent and then a big bright banner ad on the bottom will swoop in or out that the rest of the scene is being effected! For movies and general TV watching it doesn't happen very often, but the most reproducible example is when I'm watching cable and then bring up the info banner (takes up a big chunk) I notice the palette on the entire screen brightens. Is this an inherent LCD issue that has to due with backlighting or something, OR does this sound like an issue with my TV? It seems like an LCD issue, but after some googling/researching am not seeing it mentioned. The palette shift isn't very huge, and will only happen when certain conditions are right, but it can be unbearable--sometimes on the new Leno show the palette can shift 4 times in under 10 seconds!!!
post #1606 of 4671
If only Sony could address the issue because the set makes a beautiful image otherwise.
post #1607 of 4671
I'm sending in for a refurb. Not what I want, since I didn't pay for a refurbished TV, but the color shifting bothers me entirely too much.
post #1608 of 4671
So, someone mentioned that with the new firmware and turning ACE off, the red flashing goes away. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
post #1609 of 4671
That does not solve the problem. It has been confirmed.
post #1610 of 4671
The issue persists even with ACE off and the 8/4/09 FW

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvudoo View Post

So, someone mentioned that with the new firmware and turning ACE off, the red flashing goes away. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
post #1611 of 4671
Since being hyper aware of the red flash issue due to this forum, I noticed that faces also go red on my Samsung 24" LCD that I use with a treadmill. Looks similar to what I see on the Sony and is also intermittent.

It may be some general LCD issue. I find the Sony flashing is an occasional thing that depends on content. Most of the time, it is fine with a great picture. The blacks are so much better than my old RP Wega.
post #1612 of 4671
Re: red flashing -- Well I contacted Sony's online chat support today and was escalated twice, although I'm not sure if they will do anything. They had me do a reset (hold up on remote, push power on tv then release up), a power reset (unplug for a while) which did not help. The CSR assured me they would forward the transcript to an engineer and I kept quoting other people here who are having the same problem. As there are no service centers close to me I will not be scheduling a repair unless other people are reporting that this fixes the problem.

I would urge everyone who is experiencing this problem to contact Sony and refer to this as "red flashing" so they will see that many people are having the same problem !!!!

link for 52v5100

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/con...mdl=KDL52V5100
post #1613 of 4671
Wow I was looking at upgrading to the 55" version of this TV but am very leary after reading this thread and all the red flashing thing. So they fixed the auto dim from last years W4100 series but now you get red flashing!! (WTF?!?)

Has anyone been able to capture this problem? Does it look like Sony will address this or will we need to wait until next years model to get this resolved?
post #1614 of 4671
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshdtv View Post

Wow I was looking at upgrading to the 55" version of this TV but am very leary after reading this thread and all the red flashing thing. So they fixed the auto dim from last years W4100 series but now you get red flashing!! (WTF?!?)

Has anyone been able to capture this problem? Does it look like Sony will address this or will we need to wait until next years model to get this resolved?

It would be really hard to capture the problem to show. Here is a good way to picture it. the scene centers on someones face and for a split second it looks like someone went in the menu and turned the color saturation up to 100 and then back down to normal.
post #1615 of 4671
I have had a 40V5100 for a few weeks now and have installed the most recent firmware (ER4.11-E227) and have not yet noticed the red flashing. I do have every automatic setting set to off (noise reduction, ACE, Live colour, etc.) with the backlight set to min which are most likely not typical settings. I will admit that I do not watch it much (a living room TV for my parents - I watch a Pioneer PRO111FD plasma for movies) and it is only used for OTA analogue SD (no OTA HD here yet!!!). My parents watch it a lot and have not noticed anything strange (then again, they might not notice it anyway!!). I do catch newscasts at night and have never seen the flashing problem described here. Just my observations, maybe if I had HD or Blu-ray connected the situation would be different. I will keep an eye out and report if it shows up.

Cheers,
P.E.Hannon
post #1616 of 4671
Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon View Post

I have had a 40V5100 for a few weeks now and have installed the most recent firmware (ER4.11-E227) and have not yet noticed the red flashing. I do have every automatic setting set to off (noise reduction, ACE, Live colour, etc.) with the backlight set to min which are most likely not typical settings. I will admit that I do not watch it much (a living room TV for my parents - I watch a Pioneer PRO111FD plasma for movies) and it is only used for OTA analogue SD (no OTA HD here yet!!!). My parents watch it a lot and have not noticed anything strange (then again, they might not notice it anyway!!). I do catch newscasts at night and have never seen the flashing problem described here. Just my observations, maybe if I had HD or Blu-ray connected the situation would be different. I will keep an eye out and report if it shows up.

Cheers,
P.E.Hannon

Why do you have everything off and backlight on min?
post #1617 of 4671
Xchair:

I always turn off all the "auto" items as in my experience they usually just screw up the picture. With that said, I can see how some of these "auto" settings can be of benefit in a very bright room or possibly in some other circumstances. I use the warm colour temp as it is closest to the video standards and I hate a blue tinted picture.

The room this set is in is not overly bright and the min backlight gives better blacks during nighttime viewing (most viewing is done at night, only casually during the day). I have the picture at 80 and brightness at 47 (using AVIA, DVE, etc.) and any higher on the picture/backlight settings is much too bright and fatiguing on the eyes...my PRO111 plasma in a light controlled room is also set accordingly, with contrast set to 27, while most other owners seem to want higher light output (settings closer to 38-40) and I find my settings more than bright enough (even with the pioneer power saving set to powersave 2 mode), and of course I have all the "auto" items disabled on this set as well. Just my preferences, but I hate floating or crushed blacks, inaccurate colours, etc..

Cheers,
P.E.Hannon
post #1618 of 4671
Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon View Post

Xchair:

I always turn off all the "auto" items as in my experience they usually just screw up the picture. With that said, I can see how some of these "auto" settings can be of benefit in a very bright room or possibly in some other circumstances. I use the warm colour temp as it is closest to the video standards and I hate a blue tinted picture.

The room this set is in is not overly bright and the min backlight gives better blacks during nighttime viewing (most viewing is done at night, only casually during the day). I have the picture at 80 and brightness at 47 (using AVIA, DVE, etc.) and any higher on the picture/backlight settings is much too bright and fatiguing on the eyes...my PRO111 plasma in a light controlled room is also set accordingly, with contrast set to 27, while most other owners seem to want higher light output (settings closer to 38-40) and I find my settings more than bright enough (even with the pioneer power saving set to powersave 2 mode), and of course I have all the "auto" items disabled on this set as well. Just my preferences, but I hate floating or crushed blacks, inaccurate colours, etc..

Cheers,
P.E.Hannon

I do the same. With a LCD you want to set up your contrast and brightness w min backlight to see what the light output of your set is. The use the backlight to compensate for brightness of a room, etc. The backlight will not change the contrast or brightness. just the perception of it.
post #1619 of 4671
I've actually become pretty pleased with setting the ambient light sensor in the eco settings to on. It varies the backlight pretty much as I would and keeps the intensity to a comfortable level in a night viewing situation.
post #1620 of 4671
I've been away from this forum for awhile, just checking back in and seeing many more people distracted by the terribly hard to ignore RED FLASHING issue. I'm just following the advice of Serial Mike and others to keep posting the issue on this forum, as Sony is reading it. I hope that is the case. It is a shame that (1) an otherwise great picture is ruined by this red flashing issue and (2) people like me are helpless to get refunded for our purchase of a defective product. Sony replaced my image processing board (I forget now, I think it was called BM3 board??) which changed absolutely nothing. Any other avenues?? Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-xxV5100 Thread