Originally Posted by sspears
Just to clarify, do you mean using the PLUGE High pattern?
When set correctly, on the Low pattern, the left two bars should be invisible and the right two visible. The checker should also be visible. From your seating position, the checker should be really difficult to see if gamma is correct.
If your display is DLP or Plasma, you may see something where the left bars are because of dither.
2. The high APL of the contrast pattern makes it difficult to see the black bars on the top. This pattern should not be used to set brightness. The level of bar you see, on black, will depend on several factors, including gamma. I think it 19 or 20 is the minimum you see with a proper gamma. I need to double check at home.
3. The flashing was added to make it easier to see the bars. The 253 bar is difficuilt enough to see flashing, much more difficult when static.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. I have a Plasma.
1. No, I mean with the PLUGE Low Pattern
. I thought you were supposed to turn up the brightness until you can see all four bars and the checkerboards. I though you were then supposed to turn the brightness down until the left two bars disappeared. That's what I did, but I wasn't sure if I should keep lowering the the brightness until the checkerboard disappeared.
With the PLUGE High pattern
, I can see the 2 right bars. The lightest bar on the right is barely visible. The checkerboard is not visible at all on the PLUGE High pattern.
2. I'm using the Contrast pattern
to adjust contrast using the "Picture" control on the Panny. I did try to use the brightness control in conjunction with the Picture control to see if I could get a better result with the top row of bars. I was trying to get lower numbers around 240 on the bottom and 18 on the top.
I went into the pro-setting on the Panny and set the Gamma adjust to Full1. The adjustments allow for "Normal/MID/Full1/Full2". Full1 made the top bars brighter and now I can barely see bar #18. I can still see up to bar 245 on the bottom row. The MID gamma setting looks better to my eye with real material, but the Contrast test pattern suggest otherwise. I guess I need to get accustomed to FULL1.
3. The highest bar I can see on Dynamic Range High is 247. After that it's all white. The highest bar I can see on Dynamic Range Low is 17 (just barely). The Low is good but the High is not?
Thanks again. You have a great product.