or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread - Page 273

post #8161 of 8243
Go to the second page (more) and pick settings. Once there you can pick apps and rearrange tiles and turn off that annoying beep.
post #8162 of 8243
You're kidding, right? On the first page I just have You Tube and Amazon Instant Video. On the second page I only have Twitter, Picasa, Fox Sports, Pandora, the Weather and German News Tagesschau! There's no option for Settings, the Setup button doesn't work in this mode and no way to change or add anything or turn off the beep but there must be a way because how did they get the German news? It seems like there should be a Menu function somewhere but if I press Top Menu it goes back to No Disc and pressing Setup makes it freeze.
Since it has to be on the internet to pull up those apps I think they must be configured in someone's account on the internet somewhere so it looks like it might have to be registered so the apps can be selected online after logging in to the account. Did you do anything like that?
Edited by stevec50 - 12/14/12 at 7:20pm
post #8163 of 8243
Don't know why you don't see the "Settings" selection on the second page. It's on mine and that is where you can turn off audio beeps.

Unfortunately, even if you find it, it will not let you add any apps that Panasonic has not provided and that includes Netflix. If you look back through this thread you will find a lot of whining over Panasonic not adding Netflix to Vieracast.
post #8164 of 8243
I read all the comments whining about not having Netflix but that doesn't explain where the German news came from! Somebody must have added it somehow.
post #8165 of 8243
3rd page maybe? It's in there somewhere. Has to be. Any viera cast update could have added the German News. Looks like this when you get in. The link looks like Settings on page 3 of the image below.

post #8166 of 8243
It doesn't look like that screen from a TV at all. There's nothing past page 2. It just recently did a firmware update so maybe that removed the Settings option if it ever existed?
Edited by stevec50 - 12/15/12 at 5:13pm
post #8167 of 8243
I took a look at my BD60, haven't used it in a while. I had to update to the latest firmware before I could get into VCast.

My settings were moved to the third page, you have to select the More button under the Blu-Ray screen twice to get there.

I did notice that both Pandora and Amazon no longer work, though, so there's not much left to do in VCast.
post #8168 of 8243
Pandora still works on my BD60. I don't use Amazon.
post #8169 of 8243
I tried contacting the VIERA Connect Developers and just as I suspected there is a VIERA Connect Market where you get apps. I thought you guys would know that? They sent me a link to a Youtube video telling how to use it but I can't access the VIERA Connect Market on the Blu-ray player since there's no option for that!

www.youtube.com/v/c5sI7MlDzHw
post #8170 of 8243
Made a little progress. I came across a setting called Allow Limited and changed it to Allow All. That lets me get to the 3rd page under Network where I can get to Settings but that's all there is on that page and it doesn't do anything but turn the beep on and off. The first function is called Customize Homescreen but if I select it the screen goes black for a while and it takes me back to the original Blu-ray screen. Going back to Network settings again there is another option called My Accounts that says it lets you Remove password information from Youtube, Twitter and Picasa but there's no way to add any information so how could there be anything there to remove? Also there's no way to add or remove any apps. This is all very strange!
post #8171 of 8243
I sent a message to Panasonic tech support asking how to use Viera Connect and got a reply saying Unfortunately, this option is not available on your Blu-Ray Player. We recommend purchasing a 2012 model. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Why did they even put it in the player if it's useless?
post #8172 of 8243
I think the Panny support person you got is unfortunately an idiot. They should know that pre-2011 models like yours have Viera Cast, not Viera Connect. So while he was technically correct that your player doesn't have Viera Connect, he should have helped you out with Viera Cast. Maybe call back and use the term Viera Cast. Although Viera Cast is obsolete and probably no longer supported, they should at least be able to answer some of your questions. What little I remember about Cast versus Connect is that Cast has no ability to download apps unlike Connect. But you should at least be able to move/hide tiles by arrowing over to them and hitting ok. I used it for a while on my old 60, and I remember it working that way. The editing process is still the same on new models as well.
post #8173 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Although Viera Cast is obsolete and probably no longer supported,

Mine still works. Updates for it seem to come down with BD firmware updates. I would hope they would keep the servers running forever (I think now, it's just a subset of the newer Viera net stuff).

post #8174 of 8243
mdavej clicking OK on the tiles doesn't do anything. I thought there should be some way to move or delete or edit them or something but can't find any way. Looks like it's hopeless.
post #8175 of 8243
so nobody knows if the last firmware added Cinavia copy protection to the player?
post #8176 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by viteh View Post

so nobody knows if the last firmware added Cinavia copy protection to the player?

I don't, but I'll find my version and test it somehow if you want. How do you test it?

post #8177 of 8243

Panasonic DMP-BD60: Frustrating Issues

I'm about ready to throw this thing out my bedroom window. I've got a few movies on BD-25 and/or BD-50 discs. I got the player home, and threw in Back To The Future, Part I, and it loaded up and played just fine. Took out the movie, and put it back in a little while later, and it gives me the "No Read" message. This is the case for multiple movies. One time they play, and the next time they can't be read. I've got a separate Panasonic Blu-Ray player that has the built in surround sound speaker system, so I'm basically running that other player to get the sound, and the DMP-BD60 is running through that one. This wouldn't be causing the issues, would it? I don't get it!
post #8178 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I don't, but I'll find my version and test it somehow if you want. How do you test it?

play a burned copy of a movie that has Cinavia protection, most likely blu-rays released after february 2012(there should be list around the interwebs too). around the 20 minute mark, an error message should pop up saying the movie is Cinavia protected.
post #8179 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by viteh View Post


play a burned copy of a movie that has Cinavia protection, most likely blu-rays released after february 2012(there should be list around the interwebs too). around the 20 minute mark, an error message should pop up saying the movie is Cinavia protected.

I don't play burned Blu-Rays ... do you? I just rip them to disc file.

 

Does it have to be a Blu-Ray or will a DVD-R or DVD-RW work?

 

Is there some kind of BD-RE disc I can buy and play with, that is compatible with our machines?


Edited by Tesla1856 - 12/30/12 at 1:28am
post #8180 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I don't play burned Blu-Rays ... do you? I just rip them to disc file.

Does it have to be a Blu-Ray or will a DVD-R or DVD-RW work?

Is there some kind of BD-RE disc I can buy and play with, that is compatible with our machines?

well, some burned DVDs should do the trick. this site lists a few:
http://veehd.com/forum/viewtopic?f=263185

about BD-Rs, I don't know. I just backup blu-rays to BD-5 with BD-Rebuilder, or in other words, blu-ray on dvd.
post #8181 of 8243
Are there any newer panasonic models comparable to the BD60? I ask because I only use my BD player connected directly to my TV and my sony bdp-s350 is giving me fits when it plays dts BD's. as the volume is never stable. I've been told often to switch to the BD60 panyy, but now I see that it is not a current model.
post #8182 of 8243
The closest thing to the BD60 is the BD75, but I would not recommend it. Why do you want something equivalent to such an old, obsolete player? Why not get a much better model like the BD220?
post #8183 of 8243
Thanks for the tip! Will look into that player then and see if someone can do a hardware mod to have
it region free for BD's so I don't have to worry that firmware updates won't delete the region free status.
post #8184 of 8243
Used Amazon Instant Video for the first time on my BD60 and noticed that the sound is 2.1. Is there a way to get 5.1 sound when using Amazon Instant Video on Viera Cast?
post #8185 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post

Used Amazon Instant Video for the first time on my BD60 and noticed that the sound is 2.1. Is there a way to get 5.1 sound when using Amazon Instant Video on Viera Cast?

That's all I could get also. The guys in the AIV thread say most Panny stuff is like this (even the new players).

 

Let me know if you get 5.1 working.

post #8186 of 8243
3-2-2013

I bought the BD-60 back in 2009, mostly to play standard DVD's, so as to not stress my Oppo 83, as I use that for BlueRays. Today, I put a BR disk in and it would NOT play, tried 5 others, that should play, as they are not really current. Updated the firmware to the last known one 2.64. Played with allowing online BR content, put in a USB thumbdrive, etc. It still PLAYS regular DVD's. Did a google, came here since I'm already a member, and found this thread, there are similar ones in other forums, and so it seems this model's BR laser, just quits after a SHORT period, I probably played 4 BR disks since I owned it, and of course it's way out of the 1 year warranty, and not made anymore, thankfully. Just figured I'd add this in case anyone is doing research on what "brand" to buy. Like many I've my share of bad units and brands, all this stuff is cheaply made these days. The OPPO BR laser is still going, but that was a $500 purchase. I just bought a new Panasonic HDTV Plasma VT50, I hope it last longer then their cheap BR players. So for my next cheap BR player, I roll the dice with a Sony. Panasonic has lost my trust as far as BR players go.
post #8187 of 8243
@Mactavish That is odd about your BD-60 not being able to play blu-ray movies. May be you could have alternated between blu-ray and DVD movies then today it could have been able to play blu-ray movies. I have the BD-80 (bought in 2009), and it is still plays both blu-ray and DVD movies. May be the laser in your BD-60 got used to DVDs.
post #8188 of 8243
@Mactavish That is odd about your BD-60 not being able to play blu-ray movies. May be you could have alternated between blu-ray and DVD movies then today it could have been able to play blu-ray movies. I have the BD-80 (bought in 2009), and it is still plays both blu-ray and DVD movies. May be the laser in your BD-60 got used to DVDs.
post #8189 of 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

3-2-2013

I bought the BD-60 back in 2009, mostly to play standard DVD's, so as to not stress my Oppo 83, as I use that for BlueRays. Today, I put a BR disk in and it would NOT play, tried 5 others, that should play, as they are not really current. Updated the firmware to the last known one 2.64. Played with allowing online BR content, put in a USB thumbdrive, etc. It still PLAYS regular DVD's. Did a google, came here since I'm already a member, and found this thread, there are similar ones in other forums, and so it seems this model's BR laser, just quits after a SHORT period, I probably played 4 BR disks since I owned it, and of course it's way out of the 1 year warranty, and not made anymore, thankfully. Just figured I'd add this in case anyone is doing research on what "brand" to buy. Like many I've my share of bad units and brands, all this stuff is cheaply made these days. The OPPO BR laser is still going, but that was a $500 purchase. I just bought a new Panasonic HDTV Plasma VT50, I hope it last longer then their cheap BR players. So for my next cheap BR player, I roll the dice with a Sony. Panasonic has lost my trust as far as BR players go.

Mine still works. I mostly play Blu-Rays on it.

 

BD spin faster than DVDs (I think 1.5x DVD). Try the spindle cleaning in this thread.

post #8190 of 8243
No more FW updates after 2.64 ?

It has been over 1 year.

The BD “Point Blank” will not play in my BD80 but took it back to BBY & it plays fine in their Sony BDP S185! Will not load! No scratches. Just says reading & after a minute it stops. No TV screen error message. Have SD card inserted in player & disabled Internet access in menu which is not used anyway since no connection.


Bought this BD80 in 2009 & played hundreds of BDs w/o issue. Last 3 months had 4 issues, 3 were fixed by replacing the disc. (I posted “Is problem BD player, disc or both?”)

Are there going to be any more firmware updates for my player? Or will new copy protection on new BDs cause me trouble?

Seems like this is a firmware issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread