or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official *Fast Loading* JVC XV-BP1 owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official *Fast Loading* JVC XV-BP1 owner's thread - Page 4

post #91 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Boy View Post

HH Gregg has this player for $199.99

Where? It is listed at $249 online. There is a $25 off coupon in today's newspaper making it ~$225.

fafner
post #92 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Where? It is listed at $249 online. There is a $25 off coupon in today's newspaper making it ~$225.

fafner

At the Stonecrest and Smyrna stores here in Atlanta. I called 3 stores 2 had it for $199. One had it for $249 but would discount the coupon.
post #93 of 2547
I picked this player up from an HH Gregg store here in Atlanta For $199. I figured I would give it a drive around the block and return it if I did not like. Well I have to say I am mighty impressed. I think it is excellent with blu-ray and sd conversion. I have the Oppo 983 and I gotta tell ya my eyes say it is right there with it. I had my daughter and wife look as well; they too said they could not tell the difference.

I have a dedicated theatre room with the following equipment:

Sanyo PLV-Z700 projector with 100" screen viewed from 10ft.,
Onkyo 667 receiver (comes in the S6100 HTIB),
7 NHT Super One Speakers (4 in wall),
Oppo 983,
JVC XV-BP1.

I have put the following Blu-ray discs in without a problem loading:

Baraka
The Condemned
Iron Man
Iowa Jima
Jessie James
Kingdom of Heaven
March of the Penguins
Narnia Prince Caspians
Nim's Island
Planet Earth
Punisher
Rambo
Spiderman 3
Transformers
Wall-E

The only glitch I did have was with Rambo I have to turn it a certain way to not get a disc error code. There is a noticable scratch on it. Load times seem fine to me; I don't feel like I am sitting watching paint dry.

The remote is nothing to write home about; wished it was backlit. The Blue lights in the front are way too bright but 5 minutes with black electrical tape and a razor knife solved the problem. I see nothing in the manual about firmware updates don't know if they intend to have any. So far this unit ain't no Lexus but it is a fine plain ole getter done machine.

I had bought the Samsung bd-1500 kept for a couple of months. It was like Russian Roulette you never knew if it was going to play a disc or not. The firmware updates would solve one problem but create another. It now resides in the Dekalb County Dump.

I was afraid to get the Oppo 83 because I had had audio drop-offs with the 983 with HDMI. My work around was just to use the optical output which is fine wiht SD DVDs which only do 5.1 but would not have worked with 7.1 on some Blurays. I set my system up to do 7.1.

I hope this is helpful it is just my opinion and opinions are like excuses everybodys got one.
post #94 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Boy View Post

I picked this player up from an HH Gregg store here in Atlanta For $199. I figured I would give it a drive around the block and return it if I did not like. Well I have to say I am mighty impressed. I think it is excellent with blu-ray and sd conversion. I have the Oppo 983 and I gotta tell ya my eyes say it is right there with it. I had my daughter and wife look as well; they too said they could not tell the difference.

I have a dedicated theatre room with the following equipment:

Sanyo PLV-Z700 projector with 100" screen viewed from 10ft.,
Onkyo 667 receiver (comes in the S6100 HTIB),
7 NHT Super One Speakers (4 in wall),
Oppo 983,
JVC XV-BP1.

I have put the following Blu-ray discs in without a problem loading:

Baraka
The Condemned
Iron Man
Iowa Jima
Jessie James
Kingdom of Heaven
March of the Penguins
Narnia Prince Caspians
Nim's Island
Planet Earth
Punisher
Rambo
Spiderman 3
Transformers
Wall-E

The only glitch I did have was with Rambo I have to turn it a certain way to not get a disc error code. There is a noticable scratch on it. Load times seem fine to me; I don't feel like I am sitting watching paint dry.

The remote is nothing to write home about; wished it was backlit. The Blue lights in the front are way too bright but 5 minutes with black electrical tape and a razor knife solved the problem. I see nothing in the manual about firmware updates don't know if they intend to have any. So far this unit ain't no Lexus but it is a fine plain ole getter done machine.

I had bought the Samsung bd-1500 kept for a couple of months. It was like Russian Roulette you never knew if it was going to play a disc or not. The firmware updates would solve one problem but create another. It now resides in the Dekalb County Dump.

I was afraid to get the Oppo 83 because I had had audio drop-offs with the 983 with HDMI. My work around was just to use the optical output which is fine wiht SD DVDs which only do 5.1 but would not have worked with 7.1 on some Blurays. I set my system up to do 7.1.

I hope this is helpful it is just my opinion and opinions are like excuses everybodys got one.

Thanks for that review.............and yes it certainly is informative!
post #95 of 2547
So does the JVC do DTS-MA decoding, or will it ever?

And can you play mkv files from a USB stick or SD card?
post #96 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post

So does the JVC do DTS-MA decoding, or will it ever?

And can you play mkv files from a USB stick or SD card?

Yes to your first question and on the 2nd you can using disk and USB flash drive.
post #97 of 2547
Can this player play avi files? It dosn't look like its Divx certified.
post #98 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazo View Post

Can this player play avi files? It dosn't look like its Divx certified.

It will play avi and no to Divx.
post #99 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywardw View Post

Yes to your first question and on the 2nd you can using disk and USB flash drive.

Well damn, I may have to buy it, thanks!
post #100 of 2547
Can someone please tell me more about the USB feature? I know that I can hook up a hard drive to it, but what does the menu structure look like? Is it intuitive to use? Are there bizzare limitations like 4gb file size or anything? Does it stutter with 720P or 1080p MKV's?

If this player will read a 1tb hard drive full of MKV's and play them basically like a WDTV does, I will purchase it in an instant.
post #101 of 2547
Well I just picked this up and will be doing a full review within a week, concentrating on not only blu-ray functionality, but how it works as a full-fledged media center device (playback of images, mkv's, and audio files) as well.
post #102 of 2547
HUGE dissapointment - the menu system is very well thought out and intuitive, and would be amazing for the hub of a media center except for one problem - NO NTFS support. What the hell is the point of playing MKV's if you can't watch hi-def content due to the 4GB file size limit inherent to fat32?

JVC has taken something that had tremendous potential and seriously crippled it. This would have been THE bluray player to get at under $500, but not anymore.
post #103 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********3 View Post

HUGE dissapointment - the menu system is very well thought out and intuitive, and would be amazing for the hub of a media center except for one problem - NO NTFS support. What the hell is the point of playing MKV's if you can't watch hi-def content due to the 4GB file size limit inherent to fat32?

JVC has taken something that had tremendous potential and seriously crippled it. This would have been THE bluray player to get at under $500, but not anymore.

Bummer. I was looking forward to your positive review, but even my SD stuff is on an NFTS formatted HD.

Can you check to see if all outputs are active all the time (i.e. HDMI and composite)?
post #104 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********3 View Post

HUGE dissapointment - the menu system is very well thought out and intuitive, and would be amazing for the hub of a media center except for one problem - NO NTFS support. What the hell is the point of playing MKV's if you can't watch hi-def content due to the 4GB file size limit inherent to fat32?

JVC has taken something that had tremendous potential and seriously crippled it. This would have been THE bluray player to get at under $500, but not anymore.

Apparently you can thank Microsoft for lack of NTFS support - they charge licensing fees for using it, and that is apparently enough of a cost factor that many CEs are avoiding it. IIRC, the Oppo BDP-83 doesn't support NTFS for that reason.

One more reason to hate M$. Like I needed another...

shinksma
post #105 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********3 View Post

HUGE dissapointment - the menu system is very well thought out and intuitive, and would be amazing for the hub of a media center except for one problem - NO NTFS support. What the hell is the point of playing MKV's if you can't watch hi-def content due to the 4GB file size limit inherent to fat32?

JVC has taken something that had tremendous potential and seriously crippled it. This would have been THE bluray player to get at under $500, but not anymore.

You can always burn it on DVD DL, BD-R, or BD-R DL with UDF 2.5 or 2.6.

As Shinksma said not even the mighty BDP-83 does it to NTFS because of the licensing fees.
post #106 of 2547
Licensing fees suck, but this is a cheaper alternative used by many devices.

http://www.ntfs-3g.com/

I don't know about you, but I'd pay another $100 more per player just for NTFS support.
post #107 of 2547
I noticed today that if I hit the open close button with the unit off it instantly opens the tray and by the time I put a disc in the tray she is ready to go. Nice for us impatient souls.
post #108 of 2547
If anyone is a Marriott Rewards member, I saw this player in their catalog today
post #109 of 2547
SD dvd upscaling is outstanding for the price on this machine. Runs right with the Reon chips I've seen. I'm having a bit of a black crush problem currently on the blu-ray dark knight, but I think it's due to my screen and ambient conditions (white walls and ceiling). I'm calibrating the machine tonight and I'll see if that helps.
post #110 of 2547
Well this player sounds like a winner to me. I guess I'll pick one up soon.
post #111 of 2547
Have a questinon about truehd:

I'm using a Marantz SR4003 which doesn't process TrueHD. Therefore, I need the JVC to do the decoding. Is all I have to do is set the audio settings on the JVC to multichannel PCM?
post #112 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********3 View Post

Have a questinon about truehd:

I'm using a Marantz SR4003 which doesn't process TrueHD. Therefore, I need the JVC to do the decoding. Is all I have to do is set the audio settings on the JVC to multichannel PCM?

Yes.
post #113 of 2547
Does anyone know how to program the remote to work with a TV?
post #114 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicidalCuckoo View Post

Does anyone know how to program the remote to work with a TV?

It appears the remote tv functions only work with a JVC TV.
post #115 of 2547
Ok cool.

Anyways, upscaled DVD/bluray quality looks better to me than my Xbox 360 or even the Samsung BDP-1600. Shame about the FAT32 limitation for MKV files off of a USB stick, I'll try burning it to a DVD+R and see what happens.
post #116 of 2547
Has anyone programmed a remote using discrete on/off codes for this player?

I use a Marantz RC9500 and discrete codes are a requirement, since my wife and kids need one button operation. It also greatly reduces the number of phone calls I get, when I am out of town.

Thanks.
post #117 of 2547
Unit won't play m2ts files, even when burned to AVCHD (recognizes the AVCHD, but then locks up and shuts down after about 30 seconds). It can't see the files from movie mode. .TS files are a no go as well.

Basically, the extra media features are great only if you have a blu-ray burner on your computer and don't mind burning a new disc everytime you have a file to transfer, or you're into watching highly compressed lossy movie files that are no larger than 4gb in size off of a burned DVD or FAT32 formatted flash drive.

In other words, they are pretty much useless on this and every other player on the market.

Don't let that detract too much from the unit however- I've had VERY fast loading times, fast and responsive menu operation, and great video quality. For the $199 I got it for, it's a CLEAR winner and a fantastic blu-ray player. I'll just have to get a WDTV for my other needs.

The remote actually has an intuitive layout, but no backlight means it has to go for me.
post #118 of 2547
This is similar to the Memorex player early on. It was able to play files off a hard drive, but was not able to read NTFS file system This feature was added later with a firmware upgrade, so this could still be the case with the JVC. Unfortunatly the Memorex still can't read .mkv files, only .ts files.

Anywho, the solution we used early on was to format a hard drive with the ext2 file system using Paragon Partition Manager (a mac file system i believe)

This file system takes up more space, for example, a 500 GB hard drive became only 350 GB, but the memorex was able to read this and files larger than 4 gb. Not sure if this will work with the JVC or not, but thought I'd suggest it.

I don't have a JVC to test it myself, just looking for a machine that plays .mkv files.
post #119 of 2547
Last night I tried burning a ~4.37 gb 720p MKV to a DVD+R, and a ~7 gb 720p MKV to a DVD+R DL. Both played perfectly on the XV-BP1, looks excellent, and the subtitles function works great too (on/off from the remote). Definitely prefer this solution over streaming them to the PS3 with PS3 Media Server.

Between this and the terrific picture quality and super-quick load times (which for me are about as fast as the PS3, though my T2 blu-ray took longer than any other disc I tried), very pleased with the unit thus far.
post #120 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********3 View Post

HUGE dissapointment - the menu system is very well thought out and intuitive, and would be amazing for the hub of a media center except for one problem - NO NTFS support. What the hell is the point of playing MKV's if you can't watch hi-def content due to the 4GB file size limit inherent to fat32?

JVC has taken something that had tremendous potential and seriously crippled it. This would have been THE bluray player to get at under $500, but not anymore.

Wow, this absolutely sucks. I was about to buy this player just for the MKV support. But without being able to read my NTFS drive, this is pretty much useless now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official *Fast Loading* JVC XV-BP1 owner's thread