or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › DVDO Edge or Toshiba HD-XA2 for SD DVD conversion?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVDO Edge or Toshiba HD-XA2 for SD DVD conversion?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I have been using a Toshiba HD-A35 to a Panasonic PT-AE1000U through a Yamaha HTR-6090 (doesn't pass 1080p/24fps, only 1080p/60fps) for almost 2 years. It has looked great.

I just picked up a Toshiba HD-XA2, a DVDO Edge and I have a Panasonic PT-AE3000U on the way. I wanted the DVDO Edge so I could split the HDMI signal and send HD audio to the receiver and 1080p/24fps to the projector. The incredible upconversion for my rather large VHS, laserdiscs and SD DVD collection was also a huge selling point. I will max out the Edge's connections using the composite video for LD, the S-video for S-VHS, the analog audio for VHS, component for HDTV video and Toslink for HDTV audio, also 3 HDMI inputs (PS3, HD-XA2 and a XBox 360 Elite).

The DVDO Edge seems like a great deal for $800 Canadian!

Back to my main point, will I get much benefit of having an XA2 now that I have the DVDO Edge? What settings and outputs would you suggest?

How will the HD-A35, HD-XA2, PS3 and the DVDO Edge compare for SD DVD upconversion?

I am open to other combinations and uses; I have a LG BH-200, a Samsung BD-5000, a PS3, a HD-A30, HD-A35 and recently a new HD-XA2.
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post

I have been using a Toshiba HD-A35 to a Panasonic PT-AE1000U through a Yamaha HTR-6090 (doesn't pass 1080p/24fps, only 1080p/60fps) for almost 2 years. It has looked great.

I just picked up a Toshiba HD-XA2, a DVDO Edge and I have a Panasonic PT-AE3000U on the way. I wanted the DVDO Edge so I could split the HDMI signal and send HD audio to the receiver and 1080p/24fps to the projector. The incredible upconversion for my rather large VHS, laserdiscs and SD DVD collection was also a huge selling point. I will max out the Edge's connections using the composite video for LD, the S-video for S-VHS, the analog audio for VHS, component for HDTV video and Toslink for HDTV audio, also 3 HDMI inputs (PS3, HD-XA2 and a XBox 360 Elite).

The DVDO Edge seems like a great deal for $800 Canadian!

Back to my main point, will I get much benefit of having an XA2 now that I have the DVDO Edge? What settings and outputs would you suggest?

How will the HD-A35, HD-XA2, PS3 and the DVDO Edge compare for SD DVD upconversion?

I am open to other combinations and uses; I have a LG BH-200, a Samsung BD-5000, a PS3, a HD-A30, HD-A35 and recently a new HD-XA2.

I don't think you'll get any PQ benefit from adding the Edge. The XA2 already has Reon processing for upscaling std. DVD and already outputs 1080p/24 directly, so Edge in your set up seems like it may be really just an expensive video/audio switch. If you are also passing other video equipment, like HD cable/sat or laserdisc player then I could see some added value in using the Edge to deinterlace those sources and scale up to 1080P native resolution of the Panasonic AE3000. That might help significantly.
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomcreek View Post

If you are also passing other video equipment, like HD cable/sat or laserdisc player then I could see some added value in using the Edge to deinterlace those sources and scale up to 1080P native resolution of the Panasonic AE3000. That might help significantly.

I see you added that part, I was going to respond saying just that. The Edge will be more than an expensive switcher because of my VHS and LD collection. Also, the secondary HDMI audio output is huge!
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomcreek View Post

I don't think you'll get any PQ benefit from adding the Edge. The XA2 already has Reon processing for upscaling std. DVD and already outputs 1080p/24 directly, so Edge in your set up seems like it may be really just an expensive video/audio switch.

Yeah, that is basically what I thought. If you have one of the best SD DVD upscaling players ever how much can a VP help in that dept. So for HD DVD, blu-ray and SD DVD the HD-XA2 will be the equivalent. For everything else the Edge will make a significant difference. And did I mention the extra HDMI audio output to my reciever for PCM...

Thanks for your opinions, I was beginning to think no one liked me...
post #5 of 5
I'm toying around with outboard processor (iSynchHD) between my dish and also laserdisc player and my projector and going to compare that to direct hookup. The new PJs including the one your getting have good scalers and deinterlacers already so benefits may be limited to the other things you mentioned...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › DVDO Edge or Toshiba HD-XA2 for SD DVD conversion?