Originally Posted by brian12566
I for one am happy you are going slow...I am enjoying this thread.
I'll have you know that in just a few short years I've accomplished what has taken others here months
Originally Posted by flyng_fool
Read all 42 pages yesterday.
You know they have drugs for that sort of thing now, right? Regardless, here's a little insider's tip (which I learned myself just a few pages back) on how to cut in half the time you waste cruising this forum: go to user settings and increase the number of posts viewable on a page from 30 to 60. That simple little trick will reduce my thread to a mere 21 pages ... ergo cutting in half
the amount of time you would otherwise waste on my thread!
You're welcome. But don't try this yourself at home; I am a highly trained professional.
Now, for a WAY
off topic post ...
... an update on something <<remotely>>
related to my HT build!
Every now and then even the best of us get bogged down and lose momentum. So you can perhaps imagine just how bogged down those of us who are not "the best of us" can get. Or if you don't want to imagine, just visit this build thread once in a while.
So after months of toiling and attempting to finish the rest of the basement other than
my HT - and making enough progress to convince the voices in my head that I deserved a break - I decided that it was time to allow myself some time on something related to the HT for a change. Yes, amazing as it may sound to many of you who long ago forgot the dribble that was written in posts from a year or more ago, I actually do
have a portion of the basement build that is a semi-finished HT. << GASP!! >>
I know some will say that HT progress predictably stalled when I made the old mistake of hanging the projector. Not so. HT progress stalled long before I hung the projector. Long, long before.
Like when I was too busy procrastinating for months. Or when I spent months trying to bribe my buddies into donating skilled labor on the build. Or when my gypsy-in-laws transformed the HT into a temporary bedroom for months while they camped out with us. Or when my son moved back home and into the middle of the basement project. Or when ... well, my point being that hanging the projector was merely the icing
on my Procrastination Cake - not the cake itself
. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
But now that the rest of the basement is finally in the home stretch of completion (defined as "some day"), I decided to try my hand at something relatively easy (for those who know what they're doing) ... something like building the rack for the equipment closet. Since my experience in rack building - or other woodworking project - was the same as my experience with doing the rest of this renovation project (i.e. none, alas!), I approached this with the same reckless disregard for reality as I had the rest of this fiasco of a build: with a leap of faith.Geronimo!!
My first inclination was to make a rack out of an old frig, but for some reason my dear bride was not taken with that look.
So a DIY build was needed. Here's the hole in the wall just outside my HT that will hopefully one day be transformed into a simple home made rack. First a shot right after the drywall went up. Notice the strategically (mis)placed 2x4 that is right smack dab in the middle of the opening. That's going to have to go.
Here we see said 2x4 after it has been mortally wounded by a partial amputation. Pay your respects quickly, as this won't take long.
And from the inside looking out ... note also the green support post on the right which dictated the positioning of the rack opening.
And now one with the recently deceased 2x4 gone.
Then, having duly stolen ideas from a couple of AVS'ers here, I began building the simple rack. I had never heard of a Kreg Jig before (the small blue do-hickey below), but man do they make easy work of this sort of thing. Thanks to rafa1552 for this approach
And before I knew it I had the rack shell assembled.
I used some peg board as a template to drill doles in the sides of the rack for pegs for adjustable shelves, but apparently I didn't get any photos of that. I stole this idea from VA3EAM here
Next I test fitted the shell in the opening, as I had zero reason to think it would actually fit once I got done with it. Amazingly, I was wrong - it fits perfectly!!
That's where I left off for the evening, as I was so astonished that I didn't screw it up that I had no choice but to celebrate with copious amounts of alcohol, as befits the occurrence any miraculous event.
"This bloody thing just might actually *#@&%'ing work!
" I was heard muttering into the bottom of my empty cocktail glass, right before passing out.
Stay tuned ...