or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hobbit - Page 2

post #31 of 944
Um, I wouldn't be the one who's a day late. You certainly fell for it up there and no one noticed it was an April Fool's joke. Thanks again for the useful post.
post #32 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It's such a huge mess it's pretty much unfilmable anyways. Regardless, money solves everything, and I'm sure they can come to some sort of an agreement. There are so many of those "Lost Tales" books to plum there's practically an infinite amount of material to work with anyways.

Putting aside the fact that we all fell for the joke, I agree that the Silmarillion as a whole can't be filmed. However, there are sections that could be taken out and filmed that I would really love to see. I really don't think it will happen, though. Christopher Tolkien isn't going to give up the rights and I don't think he can be bought. IIRC, he even disowned a relative for taking a bit role in RotK.
post #33 of 944
Darn, "April Fools" indeed!

"Thereupon his hopes for the future were dashed on the boulders of despair far below; it was only by sheer willpower that he turned his thoughts to the immediate needs of his chosen people, the descendants of the Numenoreans and the Holbytla..."

I was so hoping that all of this was true, but that's okay..."Frodo Lives!"
post #34 of 944
The third book covers the story where Bilbo uses the money from his adventure to set himself up in a huge hole and becomes the biggest, most ruthless coke dealer in the four farthings, and his battles with his rivals across the Brandywine in the drug trade. And it has that famous line from the books, where he bursts out of his office to face his attackers in th famous final showdown and yes, "Say 'ello to my liddle ring".
post #35 of 944
Shade of the past! Sounds like a modern rendition of "Bored of the Rings"!
post #36 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

The third book covers the story where Bilbo uses the money from his adventure to set himself up in a huge hole and becomes the biggest, most ruthless coke dealer in the four farthings, and his battles with his rivals across the Brandywine in the drug trade. And it has that famous line from the books, where he bursts out of his office to face his attackers in th famous final showdown and yes, "Say 'ello to my liddle ring".

LOL! Good one!

Quote:


Shade of the past! Sounds like a modern rendition of "Bored of the Rings"!

I read that one awhile ago and enjoyed it a lot. I'll have to go find it again and give it another read.

Cary
post #37 of 944
^^^^ Galadrial: "Hairy feet, I love hairy feet!"
post #38 of 944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

^^^^ Galadrial: "Hairy feet, I love hairy feet!"

Change "Hairy feet" to "Toe jam" and you've got it down.
post #39 of 944
I'm thinking that one big reason that Bilbo isn't cast already, is that they are doing some test with Ian Holm ala Brad Pitt in Benjamin Button.
Maybe...

Ian Holm in his 20s or 30s would be nice, although he's animated the whole time. Still his movements, expressions and voice though...

It it possible after all, however not that likely....
post #40 of 944
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite View Post

I'm thinking that one big reason that Bilbo isn't cast already, is that they are doing some test with Ian Holm ala Brad Pitt in Benjamin Button.
Maybe...

Ian Holm in his 20s or 30s would be nice, although he's animated the whole time. Still his movements, expressions and voice though...

You realize this is a very old thread and I'm sure they've long since cast the major roles?
post #41 of 944
yes and no
post #42 of 944
Thread Starter 
Why "no"? This is a major multi-million dollar project, with much on the line. I see no motivation for Peter Jackson, Guillermo Del Torro or anyone else connected to the movie to release the major players in the movie to the general public. All we have are the cast from the previous movies and some rumors. They will most likely keep all the info they can as close to their vest for as long as possible.
post #43 of 944
post #44 of 944
Quote:

Upon reading the link, I believe it is safe to say The Hobbit won't see the light of day any time soon.
post #45 of 944
Boys and girls, I suspect this is but the tip of the iceberg as far as what can not be greenlit for production in this new world order of voodoo banking and economics.
post #46 of 944
The problem isnt that the Hobbit is expensive to make, but that its MGM that is making it. If they wernt up for sale this would have been much easier.
post #47 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Boys and girls, I suspect this is but the tip of the iceberg as far as what can not be greenlit for production in this new world order of voodoo banking and economics.

Now, don't get me started....
post #48 of 944
Thread Starter 
Oh well, that sucks. Considering he is one of the only directors (I can think of) who might do this work justice I don't see this one coming out for some time. I guess we can add at least 2-3 more years at a minimum to production time because of this delay.

What really pains me is that this most likely means the EE of LOTR on Blu probably will be delayed as well.
post #49 of 944
Alfonso Cuaron is the ONLY replacement I can think of.

MGM....you stink. I hate it when the money heads interfere with the creative process.
post #50 of 944
post #51 of 944
Cannot blame GDT, but I'm wondering: even if no one wants to buy MGM, wouldn't someone want to buy the rights to The Hobbit? Seeing some of the dreck that does get the green light, it makes no sense that a sure winner like this particular property would fail to draw investor interest...
post #52 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Cannot blame GDT, but I'm wondering: even if no one wants to buy MGM, wouldn't someone want to buy the rights to The Hobbit? Seeing some of the dreck that does get the green light, it makes no sense that a sure winner like this particular property would fail to draw investor interest...

Its a gamble. If they wait they get more money for MGM, If they wait to long the project will lose value.
post #53 of 944
Quote:

Damn! that really sucks
post #54 of 944
Isn't the next Bond film on hold for the same reason (MGM's financial woes)?

Del Toro's departure looks to be reluctant and amicable with Jackson (the former will still be contributing to the screenplay, just not directing).
post #55 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post


What really pains me is that this most likely means the EE of LOTR on Blu probably will be delayed as well.

Ah crap!
I hate to admit it, but you're probably right.
I have been holding out for the EE....
post #56 of 944
MCG or Michael Bay










post #57 of 944
Where's G. del Toro call home? I wouldn't mind living in NZ for 6 years but if his family's not there or not happy then it'd be hard.

What ever happens it has to be done well and that's what we can expect from PJ.

If you've not read this story it's really quite good. I find it to be very funny and it also has all the elements that the other books have. Battles, suspense, drama and some tricky situations.

Tom Bombadil better appear in one of the movies.
post #58 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_man View Post

I wouldn't mind living in NZ for 6 years but if his family's not there or not happy then it'd be hard.

He was only suppose to be there for 3 years (That turned into 6). And even if New Zeeland is a nice place? (Never been there) There is so much other things that need to work. And its not like GDT doesnt have other movies he can do.
post #59 of 944
I'm sure he has other movies and the fact it's not gotten the greenlight yet doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Plus there may have been some artistic differences. He would be a newcomer to PJ, PJ's wife and the other woman. Might be a difficult situation to walk into.
post #60 of 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

And its not like GDT doesnt have other movies he can do.

He does, in fact, have other irons in the fire.
With The Hobbit being pushed back, all of his other stuff is as well.
Not a good situation for GDT.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0868219/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home