or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › Samsung HT-WS1 -v- Vizio VSB210WS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung HT-WS1 -v- Vizio VSB210WS

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Let the discussion begin. Samsung is set to release their soundbar (HT-WS1) and Vizio already released theirs (VSB210WS). Both the same price point. Which leads to my question what are the pros and cons to both? I'm not very tech savy so I need help deciding between the two.
post #2 of 50
I am also interested in this comparison. The samsung sounded nice at best buy!
post #3 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonviper04 View Post

I am also interested in this comparison. The samsung sounded nice at best buy!

The samsung is not out yet, you must have listened to a different model. I did test out the vizio at sears today and was very impressed. I can't find out the total watts of the system anywhere though.
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwimports View Post

The samsung is not out yet, you must have listened to a different model. I did test out the vizio at sears today and was very impressed. I can't find out the total watts of the system anywhere though.

BestBuy does have them...I saw them yesterday in one of their stores. It wasn't set up well for testing (on an end cap) but if you want to check them out give BestBuy a go! Note that as of now, I still don't see them on their site.
post #5 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrey View Post

BestBuy does have them...I saw them yesterday in one of their stores. It wasn't set up well for testing (on an end cap) but if you want to check them out give BestBuy a go! Note that as of now, I still don't see them on their site.

Perfect, I can't wait to test this thing out..
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwimports View Post

Perfect, I can't wait to test this thing out..

I saw it at Best Buy today as well, very sleek look and complements the ToC hdtv's very well. It has a wireless subwoofer which is a plus but from what I was told and read, it only connects to the tv via an optical cable so in essence it is meant to replace your tv speakers instead of being standalone. I'd love to read people's reviews, I am debating between this and the upcoming sony htc 500 which Best Buy said was coming out mid-May.
post #7 of 50
Yeah I first saw this thing a couple of weeks ago at my best buy and thought it sounded really good for the size and price of $350. Also very sleek looking! and was a little surprised when I went home and could not find it for sale and wasnt even on Samsungs product page.
post #8 of 50
I purchased the HT-WS1 2 days ago at Hhgreg. Stores often have them if they sell the new Samsung LED series, but stock is an issue as it is not released yet for wide distribution.
It does look very nice but I have had 2 problems with it. It is not anynet ready. So I have not been able to use one simple remote for the TV, Cable box, Speaker system. Also the subwoofer has a small fan that runs continuously when on and in a quiet room it is audible. Finally I have the speaker on a stand in the bedroom and incredibly when the unit is off there is a white light illuminating the stand and when it is on the light goes off. Since it is in a bedroom unless I can find a solution that is a dealbreaker.
post #9 of 50
Purchased the HT-WS1G 4/8/09 @ BestBuy and hooked it up last night. Note that Samsung *does* include a 3' digital optical cable with this unit. I plugged it into my Samsung UN55B7100 with the provided optical cable, "linked" the subwoofer and was amazed. All of the remotes in my house are the same cheap Philips universal remotes and it controls the sound bar just fine - aka, the TV is getting the signal and telling the sound bar what to do. I'm guessing this works so flawlessly because it's all Samsung products working together. Bottom line is that this provides rich, deep sound (and pretty darn good for a sound bar!) and for me, works flawlessly at any volume or with any setting. Existing universal remotes work without problems. I am very happy with this system and would recommend it to anyone looking for quality sound but not looking for a rack system. Note that this is in a 40x55' great room with wood floors - and sounds great!
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrey View Post

Purchased the HT-WS1G 4/8/09 @ BestBuy and hooked it up last night. Note that Samsung *does* include a 3' digital optical cable with this unit. I plugged it into my Samsung UN55B7100 with the provided optical cable, "linked" the subwoofer and was amazed. All of the remotes in my house are the same cheap Philips universal remotes and it controls the sound bar just fine - aka, the TV is getting the signal and telling the sound bar what to do. I'm guessing this works so flawlessly because it's all Samsung products working together. Bottom line is that this provides rich, deep sound (and pretty darn good for a sound bar!) and for me, works flawlessly at any volume or with any setting. Existing universal remotes work without problems. I am very happy with this system and would recommend it to anyone looking for quality sound but not looking for a rack system. Note that this is in a 40x55' great room with wood floors - and sounds great!

Thanks for your review RedWrey. Can you comment on the fan noise that taomar reported? Also, how bright is the light when the soundbar is off? And one last question, what is the bass on it like and how does it compare to the Sony CT100? I listened to the Samsung soundbar at Best Buy but they did not have it hooked up to a blu ray/dvd player so I was not able to tell whether it was capable of playing rich and deep sound.
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksingh76 View Post

Thanks for your review RedWrey. Can you comment on the fan noise that taomar reported? Also, how bright is the light when the soundbar is off? And one last question, what is the bass on it like and how does it compare to the Sony CT100? I listened to the Samsung soundbar at Best Buy but they did not have it hooked up to a blu ray/dvd player so I was not able to tell whether it was capable of playing rich and deep sound.

Fan noise wasn't noticeable to me at all (note that I am 33 and not deaf). Recalling the comment about fan noise, I did hover over it this morning (mornings are quiet in my home) and I could hear the fan when I listened for it, but that's it. It doesn't resonate and wouldn't be casually detectable outside of a 2-3' radius (note that this was this morning when no other sounds were present in my home). However, fans worry me in general as they are moving mechanical parts. Maybe in 3-5 years it could get worse but right now, my opinion is that it's a non-issue.

The light on the sound bar is something I'm used to as the UN55B7100 has the same exact light when it's on. The white light does stay on when the HT-WS1 is turned off, but it's in a great room and doesn't bother me. To me, it wouldn't bother me in a bedroom, either. People complained about the affects of the translucent acrylic around the Samsung 7 Seris LCDs, too. I have one of those in my bedroom and it doesn't bother me. I guess most of this just depends on how easy-going you are but I think you'd have to be fairly wound up to get bothered by either the light or fan on the HT-WS1 (no offense).

I can't speak to comparison with the Sony CT100 as I've no experience there. We sometimes listen to an all-Sony component system that is much higher-powered than this unit (albeit a few years older). That system can really crank and thump but it is, in my opinion, impractical because it's TOO MUCH. Extra remote, extra wires, extra everything. The bass and audio quality and power of this system, in my opinion, exceeds expectations for a system of this genre. I think it is perfect: neat, tidy, sleek, powerful, easy, works with standard universal remotes (at least when sourced from a [newer?] Samsung TV) and fits the bill perfectly.

Yes, I would say the sound is very rich and very deep. The sub seems excellent. Last night, I watched Fast and Furious (it was on an HD channel; which gets delivered to my TV by 24awg 1.3 HDMI cable) and I don't think I could be happier with the quality of the HT-WS1.

Hope this helps!
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrey View Post

Fan noise wasn't noticeable to me at all (note that I am 33 and not deaf). Recalling the comment about fan noise, I did hover over it this morning (mornings are quiet in my home) and I could hear the fan when I listened for it, but that's it. It doesn't resonate and wouldn't be casually detectable outside of a 2-3' radius (note that this was this morning when no other sounds were present in my home). However, fans worry me in general as they are moving mechanical parts. Maybe in 3-5 years it could get worse but right now, my opinion is that it's a non-issue.

The light on the sound bar is something I'm used to as the UN55B7100 has the same exact light when it's on. The white light does stay on when the HT-WS1 is turned off, but it's in a great room and doesn't bother me. To me, it wouldn't bother me in a bedroom, either. People complained about the affects of the translucent acrylic around the Samsung 7 Seris LCDs, too. I have one of those in my bedroom and it doesn't bother me. I guess most of this just depends on how easy-going you are but I think you'd have to be fairly wound up to get bothered by either the light or fan on the HT-WS1 (no offense).

I can't speak to comparison with the Sony CT100 as I've no experience there. We sometimes listen to an all-Sony component system that is much higher-powered than this unit (albeit a few years older). That system can really crank and thump but it is, in my opinion, impractical because it's TOO MUCH. Extra remote, extra wires, extra everything. The bass and audio quality and power of this system, in my opinion, exceeds expectations for a system of this genre. I think it is perfect: neat, tidy, sleek, powerful, easy, works with standard universal remotes (at least when sourced from a [newer?] Samsung TV) and fits the bill perfectly.

Yes, I would say the sound is very rich and very deep. The sub seems excellent. Last night, I watched Fast and Furious (it was on an HD channel; which gets delivered to my TV by 24awg 1.3 HDMI cable) and I don't think I could be happier with the quality of the HT-WS1.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for your detailed response RedWrey, it did help. Enjoy the WS1 and happy Easter!
post #13 of 50
I just bought the HT-WS1G along with a Samsung 52" LN52A650 and am having a very difficult time dialing in the equalizer from the TV with it. Essentially, I'm having a lot of problems with the sub coming in and out during dialog, etc. No HD cable yet, so its still all composite, which may be part of the problem(new box shows up next week).

The light doesn't bother me at all, kind of useful as nightlight in my living room. I would say be careful about mounting this too high; this is sitting on the mantle under the TV wall mount, approx 4' off the floor, and we have to angle it so that its aimed down toward the couches.

Haven't noticed the sub fan at all...
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natecudf View Post

I just bought the HT-WS1G along with a Samsung 52" LN52A650 and am having a very difficult time dialing in the equalizer from the TV with it. Essentially, I'm having a lot of problems with the sub coming in and out during dialog, etc. No HD cable yet, so its still all composite, which may be part of the problem(new box shows up next week).

The light doesn't bother me at all, kind of useful as nightlight in my living room. I would say be careful about mounting this too high; this is sitting on the mantle under the TV wall mount, approx 4' off the floor, and we have to angle it so that its aimed down toward the couches.

Haven't noticed the sub fan at all...

I bought this sound bar today to pair it up with a LN40A630 and I'm having the same problem with the sub cutting in and out. I have tested it using HDMI from both my DirecTV HD receiver and my PS3 with games and Blu-ray. The sub cuts out sharply when loud bass is fading out and it's quite annoying. I may have to return this thing if I can't find a fix.
post #15 of 50
Some additional fiddling with it this evening rendered some better results. I have all the equalizer settings distributed across the + end and as long as I keep sound bar volume itself maxed and the TV volume at 8 or higher, seems to work okay. Haven't pumped any movies through it yet, but will try tomorrow. Will also post current settings(sorry, too late this evening, the Commander in Chief won't allow it).
post #16 of 50
I contacted Samsung tech support today and they told me it is a defective subwoofer causing the problem. They said I could return it to the store or they could send me a new sub. I'm going to re-pack everything and head back to Best Buy and make a return then listen to the store model again just to be sure they aren't all doing this same thing cutting in and out like that.
post #17 of 50
I just registered here, as I'm planning on picking up the HT-WS1 to go along with my LN52A650. Looking to replace my existing 5.1 setup to reduce clutter in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natecudf View Post

I have all the equalizer settings distributed across the + end and as long as I keep sound bar volume itself maxed and the TV volume at 8 or higher, seems to work okay.

Since I don't have one, I'm obviously guessing here....but shouldn't you have the TV volume itself disabled (aka FIXED)? Maybe I just don't quite understand how this system works? I just assumed you disabled the TV volume and controlled the soundbar volume.

Can someone comment on the weight of this unit? Will I have to worry about my cats knocking this off the stand if I place it below/in front of the TV?
post #18 of 50
It has one analog and one digital input, its designed to receive the signal coming out from the television. There's no built in equalizer in the unit, it feeds off whatever signal the TV is sending.

Its not too heavy and the stand is quite wide. Additionally, it has holes for mounting to the wall, which I'm considering.
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Shaun View Post

I contacted Samsung tech support today and they told me it is a defective subwoofer causing the problem. They said I could return it to the store or they could send me a new sub. I'm going to re-pack everything and head back to Best Buy and make a return then listen to the store model again just to be sure they aren't all doing this same thing cutting in and out like that.

Please let us know if the new system that you get from the store resolves the issue. thanks.
post #20 of 50
Just bought an HT-WS1G from Best Buy last night and my sub is also cutting out. Thanks to those who have provided info. I was driving myself nuts changing cables and moving around possible sources of interference with the wireless signal. Good sounding, simple system, though -- when it's working properly...
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksingh76 View Post

Please let us know if the new system that you get from the store resolves the issue. thanks.

I did not get another system from the store as when I listened closely to the display model it seemed to be doing the same thing. I'll save my money for now and hope they correct the issue in the future or I'll just put the money towards something else.

The system did sound good when everything was working but the sub cutting out made it worthless.
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrey View Post

Purchased the HT-WS1G 4/8/09 @ BestBuy and hooked it up last night. Note that Samsung *does* include a 3' digital optical cable with this unit. I plugged it into my Samsung UN55B7100 with the provided optical cable, "linked" the subwoofer and was amazed. All of the remotes in my house are the same cheap Philips universal remotes and it controls the sound bar just fine - aka, the TV is getting the signal and telling the sound bar what to do. I'm guessing this works so flawlessly because it's all Samsung products working together. Bottom line is that this provides rich, deep sound (and pretty darn good for a sound bar!) and for me, works flawlessly at any volume or with any setting. Existing universal remotes work without problems. I am very happy with this system and would recommend it to anyone looking for quality sound but not looking for a rack system. Note that this is in a 40x55' great room with wood floors - and sounds great!

I have the HT-WS1G connected to my Samsung UN46B7100 TV through the optical cable and even with full volume on the sound bar I can barely here the voices especially when set to Cinema mode. In other modes the voices are a little easier to hear. I would have though that at 260 watts I would not even need full volume. The TV is in a room of about 13' x 21'. Did you change any of the settings on the TV besides setting for external speaker? Do any of the settings on the TV even matter when using the digital optical output?

Thanks,
Jeff

I have resolved this issue. By playing around with the cable box I was able to change the compression options in the Audio setup to get some increase in volume which is much better than previously. There is still an issue with the Cinema setting not having much volume for dialogs.
post #23 of 50
Anybody got one that fixes the issue? i would like to purchase one once it drop to about 300
post #24 of 50
I like the sound bar but the drop outs from the sub bother me, particularly from the analog output. I have it in a "media niche" in my family room. Perhaps it will be better with line of sight. Anyone already try this?
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWrey View Post

Purchased the HT-WS1G 4/8/09 @ BestBuy and hooked it up last night
...

Does it come with the manual or quick guide in PDF format? If so could you please share it?
post #26 of 50
I am glad i found this thread because i have been comparing the two on my own. I went to bestbuy and played with the ung for about an hour and i must agree the sub sounded like it was cutting in and out. I have the 750 and was really excited about this product but now i am a lil sad that they released this product flawed. the sony seems to be a better sounding device but doesnt match my setup. well hopefully samsung irons out the kinks i guess i will have to wait and see. its also surprising it doesnt work with ANYNET.
post #27 of 50
Could someone please tell me the depth of the samsaung unit with the wall brackets...I mean does it sit almost flush to the wall so the 2.6" is the measurement or does it add a little in depth...THANKS in advance!!!
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thj17 View Post

Could someone please tell me the depth of the samsaung unit with the wall brackets...I mean does it sit almost flush to the wall so the 2.6" is the measurement or does it add a little in depth...THANKS in advance!!!

It is almost flush with the wall.
post #29 of 50
Just FYI i bought the Sony HTCT100 only after trying the samsung HT-WS1G and i must say the sony blows the sammy out of the water. i have a A750 so i was very excited about the HT-WS1R because it would match my TV. in my area BB was sold out of the HT-WS1R so i had to go with the grey. The sound volume and subwoofer issues was too much to deal with and the HT-WS1G just felt cheap. the HTCT100 is well made and has a ton of connectivity. Trust me i am in no way a sony fanboy. Cnet finally did a review on the Vizio soundbar and it seems like it could be decent but it just seems there are better options out there for the price then these two soundbars. Sadly Samsung dropped the ball on this product.
post #30 of 50
this sucks, I love that it matches my LCD perfectly, but it sounds like Samsung didn't put quality into this product.

oh well guess I got to get the Sony Ht-CT500 when it gets released in a few weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater In A Box
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › Samsung HT-WS1 -v- Vizio VSB210WS