As noted previously, I had decided to got with T-Slot aluminum for my screen fame. I decided that I liked the flexibility of this approach. Following are some notes and pics on what I did...
Based on final screen width of 120", I decided to go with 4" overall length and height bigger with the OS dimensions of the frame. Will be adding a standard wooden frame with velvet on the face to make final 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The extra length of the frame gives me some slop to play with and really didn't impact cost much.
I ordered all of my material from Frame World via a local distributor in Cleveland.
Materials and cost (shipped cost) were:
2 124" pieces at $57.80 ea
4 52" pieces at $25.40 ea
4 EB-121 corner gussets at $5.40 ea
4 EB-3 corner angle at $3.16
32 EF-55 Heavy duty T-nut at $.76 ea
32 EF-12-.63 button head screw at $.216 ea
6 EF-28 Molding for t-slot at $6.36 ea
All said and done with 10 discount (cause I asked) came to right around $300 total.
There wasn't much at all to assembling the frame. I pre-loaded all corner angles with nuts/screws and then slid them on the long frame sections, added the vertical supports, then the second top section to the other end of the verticals. Took about 40 minutes and 2 beers.
What absolutely thrilled me after getting all the bolts tightened was that the frame ended up PERFECTLY square...I measured like three times and it wasn't off corner to corner by even 1/16"....it was perfect
One thing that surprised me was the weight as it was a bit more than I expected. I didn't weigh it but seems to be around 40 lbs.
I built what I consider a minimalistic screen wall (BIG may disagree, but it was as minimal as my anal mind could do
). Basically two vertical 2x4's either end with a horizontal support 2x4 for the bottom running in between, with 3 stub vertical 2x4's beneath that for support. Wasn't easy to find a nice straight 12' 2x4 at HD but I ended up finding one after 15 minutes of rooting. The top rests against the 2x4 I had previously installed to the soffit.
I left around 1/2" extra slop in the wood framing so the frame could float a bit and I didn't see any reason to make a perfect fit.
Note my vintage 1990 American Acoustics DS-1212 boomers behind screen wall
Funny story, heard something one of the speakers when I was moving it. Took out lower woofer and found a bunch of dog food and some mouse poop. They must have came in through the rear ports...wish they were in there when I cranked it up last night. Which leads me to say that I'm quite pleased with the sound isolation efforts I did. I really cranked things up a bit and WAF slept through it all. Mission accomplished
To hold the aluminum frame in the wood frame, I just screwed a few 2x2's onto the framing behind it. Will most likely hook some o-rings from the frame onto the 2x2's to keep it snug against.
I didn't end up putting the Seymour material on the frame this weekend. Wanted better portability so I could test fit etc. Will update this section with that install when I do it.
The WAF, urchin and I were out running around this afternoon and stopped at Kirklands as she wanted to buy some wall hangings etc. for the basement. While my daughter set up her "office" at a small kids table with luggage tags and small signs on it, offering them to passer-bys "would you like one, they're free", WAF shows up with this buried in a far corner of the store:
I thought it was perfect and we snapped it right up.
In addition to above, got numerous things polyd today, stage face veneer, HT door frame, projector ceiling wood mount, rack opening. Also installed shelf vertical mounting track for my rack.
I think that I may just move my cutting area from the HT up to my garage bay. I've been holding off for convenience but it's getting time to get carpet ordered etc and get this deal done.