or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread - Page 77

post #2281 of 2592
I went to my bluray player audio settings and it has HDMI set to pcm stereo, digital output set to pcm stereo, sampling frequency to 48KHz, drc set to auto, and dts Neo:6 set to off. This makes no sense to me, but I can't locate where to set it to bitstream. Any ideas? Sorry for the questions
post #2282 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post

I went to my bluray player audio settings and it has HDMI set to pcm stereo, digital output set to pcm stereo, sampling frequency to 48KHz, drc set to auto, and dts Neo:6 set to off. This makes no sense to me, but I can't locate where to set it to bitstream. Any ideas? Sorry for the questions

Sorry my bad, HDMI Output should be Primary Pass-Thru (same as Bitstream).
post #2283 of 2592
Ok good, thank you . I'll make this change tonight. This should provide me with the best sound?
post #2284 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post

Ok good, thank you . I'll make this change tonight. This should provide me with the best sound?

IMO, yes but let your ears decide .
post #2285 of 2592
Sounds good. Thanks again!
post #2286 of 2592
One more stupid question - when watching cable tv, I'm trying to find the right mode to listen to. I have Fios, and my cable box audio is set to Audio format -> Surround. Also, I am using an HDMI cable. The current mode I listen to is on Dolby Digital 5.1, given that whatever I'm watching offers that. However, if I switch the audio on my receiver to Surround Sound, the red DTS logo comes up and I feel like it sounds better. Is this correct? I thought Dolby Digital 5.1 was the best when watching cable high def, but I feel as though the sound is more crisp when I switch the listening mode on my receiver to Surround. Hope this makes sense.
post #2287 of 2592
Dolby digital is usually what is broadcast because it used the least bandwidth. But really it's all a matter of preference on the sound scheme. Go with what sounds good to you. Personally depending on the show or movie and time of day I prefer more exaggerated surrounds so I often scan through the schemes and find one I like rather than adjust my setup.
post #2288 of 2592
I have my Xbox 360 connected via hdmi to my receiver. For the listening mode, it is displaying Dolby digital 5.1. However, I read in the manual that Dolby PLII game should be used but I don't see this as an option when navigating through game listening modes. Is Dolby digital 5.1 recommended in this situation or do I need to do something to get Dolby PLII game? Thanks in advance
post #2289 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post

I have my Xbox 360 connected via hdmi to my receiver. For the listening mode, it is displaying Dolby digital 5.1. However, I read in the manual that Dolby PLII game should be used but I don't see this as an option when navigating through game listening modes. Is Dolby digital 5.1 recommended in this situation or do I need to do something to get Dolby PLII game? Thanks in advance

Yes, leave on Dolby digital 5.1 (for cable box and Xbox 360). But if you feel other modes sound better then by all means switch over.
post #2290 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6286 View Post

I have my Xbox 360 connected via hdmi to my receiver. For the listening mode, it is displaying Dolby digital 5.1. However, I read in the manual that Dolby PLII game should be used but I don't see this as an option when navigating through game listening modes. Is Dolby digital 5.1 recommended in this situation or do I need to do something to get Dolby PLII game? Thanks in advance

Dolby PLII should only be available for stereo source content.

If you are pulling Dolby Digital from the Xbox that is why it isn't available. You should have Game-RPG, Game-Action, Game-Rock and Game-Sports available though right?
post #2291 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post


Yes, leave on Dolby digital 5.1 (for cable box and Xbox 360). But if you feel other modes sound better then by all means switch over.

Great thanks!
post #2292 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post


Dolby PLII should only be available for stereo source content.

If you are pulling Dolby Digital from the Xbox that is why it isn't available. You should have Game-RPG, Game-Action, Game-Rock and Game-Sports available though right?

That makes sense, and yes, it is displaying game-rpg, game-rock, etc. I usually leave that alone and just keep it on default Dolby digital. Thanks a lot.
post #2293 of 2592
I accidentally changed my listening mode preset on my game input for my xbox 360 to PLII game, not knowing that I was supposed to leave it on Dolby Digital 5.1. Now, even when I default my game input on my receiver back to last valid, it's displaying PLII game. I want to get it back to Dolby Digital 5.1. Does anyone know how to do this?
post #2294 of 2592
Nevermind. I somehow fixed it. Thanks anyways
post #2295 of 2592
This is a question about the double bass setting on my 607...

In stereo listening mode, if I have the crossover on my fronts set to 60 Hz and am using a subwoofer with the LPF set at 120 Hz, what range of frequencies is my sub receiving? Is it getting cutoff at 60 Hz or 120 Hz?

The reason I ask, is that the double bass setting is only available when the fronts are set to full range. I would prefer to set the crossover to 60 Hz, to open up headroom in the amp and put less strain on my woofers, but I also want to take full advantage of my sub.

I've searched this forum for an answer to this question but haven't been able to find a complete answer.
post #2296 of 2592
Your sub should be getting double bass for everything between 60 and 120 hz. But is probably only getting single bass below 60 hz. You may want to contact onkyo support and see what they say to be sure.
post #2297 of 2592
The LPF is only for the LFE. There is no LFE channel in stereo so it's likely just using the 60hz crossover point for the fronts.

Your sub should be getting everything below 60hz.
post #2298 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt88beers View Post

A couple of issues have popped up for me with SR607. For what ever reason my on screen setup menu no longer displays even though I am outputting to my TV (PDP5080 HD) via HDMI. Whats up with that? Its worked in the past but now it doesn't. Secondly, for whatever reason I cant map out the proper assignment for my Wii which is connected to component input 2 and audio via game l/r audio. I assigned component 2 to game in the set up menu and and even tried just selecting '----'. I get audio A-Ok but no video. This unit is about 8 months old. Im thinking that I will have to try the master reset when I get home tonite, thats not a bad thing right? there wont be any long term damage form resetting? In the meantime If anybody has any other ideas before I get home tonite please feel free to throw them out there!

Thanks!

Tony

Did you ever get the on-screen menu display working again. Mine is doing the same thing. Was working before. I had to disconnect everything and reconnect over the weekend, and now all is working except on-screen menu. Everything is HDMI.

On another issue... it seems that the receiver re-mapped some of my HDMI inputs. I had removed the Xbox from the system and it is like everything shifted over one input. weird.
post #2299 of 2592
Here is an issue I am having with my 607 and was wondering if anyone else had any similar experience. And I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

When my receiver goes into some form of DD, at least I assume this to be the cause, my remote becomes unresponsive. I can't change volume, input, nothing. This can be while playing BD, PS3 game, or watching HD cable. But, should I, for example, change the cable box to an SD channel instead of HD, I regain functionality of the remote. That is until I switch back to HD.

This and the fact that the PS3 is causing the same problem, leads me to believe that it has something to do with the audio codec, but I just can't figure out what, or why, it is.

Anyone out there have any insight into this?
post #2300 of 2592
Anyone?
post #2301 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribowsky View Post

Anyone?

Hi bribowsky, only have read about remote not responding when watching 3d.

Does it respond if the remote is close up to receiver?

But some suggestion, replace the batterys and/or try resetting the remote back to factory default.
post #2302 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi bribowsky, only have read about remote not responding when watching 3d.

Does it respond if the remote is close up to receiver?

But some suggestion, replace the batterys and/or try resetting the remote back to factory default.

Nah, makes no difference how close, what angle, brand new batteries. Only with HD programming, be it cable box, or blu-ray. Once I switch to SD cable, or switch off blu-ray, functions as normal again.

Strange, I know. I'm at a loss. Thanks for the help, though.

Oh, and I should mention it is the same with the factory remote, or my universal. If one isn't controlling it, the other isn't either.
post #2303 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribowsky View Post

Nah, makes no difference how close, what angle, brand new batteries. Only with HD programming, be it cable box, or blu-ray. Once I switch to SD cable, or switch off blu-ray, functions as normal again.

Strange, I know. I'm at a loss. Thanks for the help, though.

Oh, and I should mention it is the same with the factory remote, or my universal. If one isn't controlling it, the other isn't either.

Possible related to tv picture settings, like Backlight or Dynamic Contrast. Maybe try to lower or turn off these type of settings.
post #2304 of 2592
I have seen on the uverse forums that power saving features on some tv's can sometimes have an impact on the remotes. Although this should not change with sd to hd content its easy to try it out. Just turn off the power saving feature on the tv and/or any automatic light sensing. From what i understand it's very similar to the cfl bulb interference or plasma interference you see with ir extenders.

Also just to isolate the problem device while you have the issue try turning off the tv. Try other devices nearby if that does not resolve it.
post #2305 of 2592
Hey fellas, I am having a problem with my 607 and my AT&T U-Verse box. When I'm watching any program that is broadcast in Dolby Digital, everything is fine (I think). When I'm watching a program not broadcast in DD, the sound skips for like a half second every few minutes. This is extremely annoying. Under audio output options on the AT&T box, I selected "surround", because when I selected "stereo", everything was coming through as Dolby PLII.

I think my problem is that the receiver never changes listening modes based on what the program is broadcast in and I'm "stuck" in DD until I change it with the remote. Has anyone had this problem with AT&T or is it something with the setup on my 607?

All my other sources I have hooked up to the 607 sound great and never do this.
post #2306 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenski84
Hey fellas, I am having a problem with my 607 and my AT&T U-Verse box. When I'm watching any program that is broadcast in Dolby Digital, everything is fine (I think). When I'm watching a program not broadcast in DD, the sound skips for like a half second every few minutes. This is extremely annoying. Under audio output options on the AT&T box, I selected "surround", because when I selected "stereo", everything was coming through as Dolby PLII.

I think my problem is that the receiver never changes listening modes based on what the program is broadcast in and I'm "stuck" in DD until I change it with the remote. Has anyone had this problem with AT&T or is it something with the setup on my 607?

All my other sources I have hooked up to the 607 sound great and never do this.
I assume you have motorola stb's eg vip1225 or 1216. This issue is the stb not your onkyo. Att is aware if the issue if you call them. Been like this for the year and a half I have had uverse. Change your output back to stereo and the issue goes away. Att tech support sometimes will talk you through connecting the analog audio ports which does the same thing.

My vip1225 got the red x and 2 dots and was replaced yesterday. The tech told me it's still an issue no word on a fix. I heard the cisco stb's are fine but we cannot get them here in ct, at least that is what I am told.

By the way if you like you can configure the onkyo to use a specific sound scheme based on what it's receiving in the setup menu. Personally I think stereo to Dolby PLII is good enough for tv. It's been around a long time and does a pretty good job. But it really sucks that uverse "advanced tv" can't handle Dolby digital.

I believe there is a class action suit being filed against Att because of this issue. Gave up and have been out of touch with the other forums though.
post #2307 of 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcorso View Post
I assume you have motorola stb's eg vip1225 or 1216. This issue is the stb not your onkyo. Att is aware if the issue if you call them. Been like this for the year and a half I have had uverse. Change your output back to stereo and the issue goes away. Att tech support sometimes will talk you through connecting the analog audio ports which does the same thing.

My vip1225 got the red x and 2 dots and was replaced yesterday. The tech told me it's still an issue no word on a fix. I heard the cisco stb's are fine but we cannot get them here in ct, at least that is what I am told.

By the way if you like you can configure the onkyo to use a specific sound scheme based on what it's receiving in the setup menu. Personally I think stereo to Dolby PLII is good enough for tv. It's been around a long time and does a pretty good job. But it really sucks that uverse "advanced tv" can't handle Dolby digital.

I believe there is a class action suit being filed against Att because of this issue. Gave up and have been out of touch with the other forums though.
Thanks for the reply. I checked out the AT&T forums and it looks like everyone has the same problem. I will call to see if I can get a different model, but knowing AT&T, I think I'm screwed. But I'm sure they'll tell me to connect component and optical cables instead of, you know, using the AVR I spent good money on.
post #2308 of 2592
Optical has the same issue just to warn you.
post #2309 of 2592
Has anyone had issues running 6 ohm speakers with the 607? I'm looking at some PSb Image B4s to replace my Polk HTIB. Here are the specs of the Image B4s:

Frequency Range: On Axis @ 0° ±3 dB, 60-23,000 Hz; On Axis @ 0° ±1 dB, 70-20,000 Hz; Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5 dB, 70-10,000 Hz
Lf Cutoff (-10 dB): 55 Hz
Sensitivity: (1W (2.83V) @ 1m, IEC-filtered Pink Noise, C-weighted): Anechoic Chamber, 87 dB; Typical Listening Room, 89 dB
Impedance: Nominal, 6 Ohms; Minimum, 4 Ohms

Also, I would be running these with a Polk PSW111 sub until I can upgrade that.
post #2310 of 2592
Is it possible for the 607 to pass through 3d images to the TV or do I need a new receiver?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread