or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread - Page 11

post #301 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsunging View Post

what store are they price matching from?

6ave.com after 25% off discount code
post #302 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsunging View Post

what store are they price matching from?

Go to 6ave.com, put the item in your cart and enter coupon code AFLAUD25
post #303 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dral54 View Post

Just got the same offer, $399, from J&R. I was going to wait and see what the specs are on Denon's 1910, but at this price, I couldn't pass up the 607.

Just to clarify, J&R did match the $375 from 6th Ave. They first offered $399, which I declined. They then offered me the $375 price.

I'm only pointing this out that folks could settle for the $399 price but can get the $375. A $25 difference may be a deal breaker to some, but in this case shouldn't be.
post #304 of 2589
With this receiver, does anyone know if it is possible to have an HDMI input, but use the audio from one of the analog audio inputs?

i.e. Blu-Ray player connected to the receiver with HDMI, MP3 player connected to the receiver 3.5mm audio jack, and so Blu-Ray video goes to the TV but audio out of the speakers is from the MP3 player?
post #305 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepizi View Post

With this receiver, does anyone know if it is possible to have an HDMI input, but use the audio from one of the analog audio inputs?

i.e. Blu-Ray player connected to the receiver with HDMI, MP3 player connected to the receiver 3.5mm audio jack, and so Blu-Ray video goes to the TV but audio out of the speakers is from the MP3 player?

Am I reading this correctly that you want to be able to watch video from the blu-ray while listening to the mp3 audio?

I don't believe you can have two sources active at the same time...

If you are asking if it's possible to use a mixture of analog and digital inputs - yes you can.
post #306 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by liger_trainer View Post

Am I reading this correctly that you want to be able to watch video from the blu-ray while listening to the mp3 audio?

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by liger_trainer View Post

I don't believe you can have two sources active at the same time...

If you are asking if it's possible to use a mixture of analog and digital inputs - yes you can.

From reading the manual, it says that you can assign audio inputs to go along with component video inputs. i.e. assign digital audio coax 1 to go along with component video 1.
I want to know if you can:
1) Similarly assign analog audio inputs to go with component video inputs (from you response above, it sounds like the answer is yes)
and
2) Assign analog audio inputs to go with HDMI video inputs. (i.e. drop the audio coming from the HDMI source and use an analog input as the audio source)

Thanks
post #307 of 2589
I can't wait to play with mine when it arrives.
post #308 of 2589
So, here's the deal... I almost bought a 606 when CC was going under, but the fools that were flocking to their stores didn't know what a good clearance price was and were buying them above what Amazon was charging at the time. Then, I decided it was a blessing in disguise and changed my mind to the 706. Then, I heard that the 607 was coming out, and decided to wait for that.

That brings us to today, where I have a little over 24 hours to decide if I want to jump on this 607 coupon (I doubt it will get much better than this until Black Friday or 2010, since the cheapest I think I remember seeing the 606 for was only 25 less), or wait for the elusive 707 (which even Onkyo told me... "we have no information about this product at this time"). Due to my advancing age, I forgot what was the exact reason I had changed my mind from the 606 to the 706. (THX Cert maybe? Audyssey MultiEQ? Pure mode?) If anyone can remind me why I was looking at the 706 over the 606, I would greatly appreciate it.

Moreover, if anyone has heard anything that would make the 707 eclipse the 607, I would love to hear it. It would have to be big, I'm thinking, since the street price of the 707 will most likely be ~two 607s with the coupon.

BTW, I have a modest HT setup. I am still running my old TX-SV414 Pro, so the 607 will be a huge, giant upgrade over that. The room is small and I am currently running a 3.0 setup (aka LRC). I am hoping that with the new receiver I will get the time to wire in the rears and mebbe get a sub (not entirely essential at this time, as I have decent fronts). Also, I have no concern with the upscaling differences between the two (I bought an Oppo for that two years ago, thanks to the recommendations from this forum). And no need for analog inputs or S-Video, as my Dish, Oppo, & BD are all HDMI, and VCR is mostly there as a backlit clock. Camcorder is HDMI, too, so I am *loving* the idea of the front input.

Thanks all in advance.

VSP
post #309 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepizi View Post




From reading the manual, it says that you can assign audio inputs to go along with component video inputs. i.e. assign digital audio coax 1 to go along with component video 1.
I want to know if you can:
1) Similarly assign analog audio inputs to go with component video inputs (from you response above, it sounds like the answer is yes)
and
2) Assign analog audio inputs to go with HDMI video inputs. (i.e. drop the audio coming from the HDMI source and use an analog input as the audio source)

Thanks

i would also like to know.except it would be setting the opt2 for the digital audio imput of hdmi 1
post #310 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by liger_trainer View Post

Just to clarify, J&R did match the $375 from 6th Ave. They first offered $399, which I declined. They then offered me the $375 price.

I'm only pointing this out that folks could settle for the $399 price but can get the $375. A $25 difference may be a deal breaker to some, but in this case shouldn't be.

I just placed my order at J&R. The sales rep first quoted me $494 but all I had to do was mention that 6th Ave had a promotion. He already knew the price was $374.25 and immediately offered to match it with free shipping. No haggling necessary. Apparently more that a few readers here have already pounded them into submission.
post #311 of 2589
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the 607. I'm looking for a receiver to use with an HTPC I'll be building soon. Is this a good receiver to use with an HTPC? Does anyone know what type of DAC's it uses?
post #312 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharpe View Post

I just placed my order at J&R. The sales rep first quoted me $494 but all I had to do was mention that 6th Ave had a promotion. He already knew the price was $374.25 and immediately offered to match it with free shipping. No haggling necessary. Apparently more that a few readers here have already pounded them into submission.

I bought into this and didn't have too much difficulty getting it... however, I did have to call back once to make it happen. (had one CSR who refused to do the PM - and wouldn't budge on the price at all).
post #313 of 2589
The discount code works for some other receivers too. Not just this Onkyo.
post #314 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifan View Post

I can't wait to play with mine when it arrives.

Same here. Mine arrives tomorrow! I probably won't be able to fully evaluate it until I get some stuff resolved with my speaker setup, but at least I'll be able to compare it to how my old receiver sounded (Kenwood - nothing too special).

After I get my speakers in order I'm looking forward to putting this thing through its paces with movies and games.

For now it's off to the speaker forum...
post #315 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepizi View Post

2) Assign analog audio inputs to go with HDMI video inputs. (i.e. drop the audio coming from the HDMI source and use an analog input as the audio source)

I'd like to know this, too. If I buy this receiver, I'll be using it with my HTPC and I have seperate outputs for both video and sound. DVI -> HDMI output from the videocard and 1/8" analog -> RCA from the soundcard.

Just want to make sure this will pair up properly with the receiver and I can use both sources.
post #316 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wompa164 View Post

I'd like to know this, too. If I buy this receiver, I'll be using it with my HTPC and I have seperate outputs for both video and sound. DVI -> HDMI output from the videocard and 1/8" analog -> RCA from the soundcard.

Just want to make sure this will pair up properly with the receiver and I can use both sources.

sounds like we'll be trying that one together... though my audio feed is optical... in theory it shouldn't be a problem. Of course, in the manual they specifically state that computer hdmi sources are not supported.
post #317 of 2589
Wow! I ordered from J&R yesterday morning at ~10:00 and I just got a delivery confirmation from UPS. I'm in Germantown, MD. Very happy with the shipping speed. I might have to leave work early to go home and play...
post #318 of 2589
Onecall.com just price matched that price for me, also. I just ordered my 607.

along with speakers

Definitive Technology procenter 1000 - Center
Definitive Tech promonitor 1000 (2) - Left and right front
Definitive Tech promonitor 800 (2) - Rears
Definitive Tech prosub 800 - Sub
post #319 of 2589
I conferred with the CFO last night and decided that whatever price the 707 would come out with, it would be over our budget, so might as well jump on the 6ave coupon so that we can enjoy it now, rather than wait for Black Friday or reductions when the next model comes out.

I decided that I would just order from 6ave rather than price matching. For me, I would rather have the unit shipped later and then use the interim to buy more HDMI cables and get the rear speaker wire installed. So, I went to 6ave and entered the coupon code. No dice. Called them up. "It's expired." Even though Tech Bargains has said that the expiration was today, 6ave has decided otherwise. So, the guy talked to his supervisor and after 5 mins came back with this deal: Purchase the $29.99 extended warranty and we will honor our coupon.

I bet you are thinking the same thing I am thinking...

WTF?!?!?

I know it's their prerogative and all, but that was just way uncool.

So, I called up J&R, and the CSR checked the 6ave site and told me that he couldn't find the deal. I told him it was a coupon and couldn't find it on their site either, but saw it on SlickDeals and TechBargains and read here that a bunch of people price matched it through them. I did mention to him that it was supposed to expire today. This time I waited 10 mins on hold while he talked with his manager. He came back and honored the coupon, and told me that they wouldn't do it after today (odd, since I already told him the coupon expires today... anyway).

So, I just squeaked in with this deal. If you have not yet taken advantage of this deal, I would do it NOW. Call J&R, or better yet, call OneCall... Samsunging said he got his this morning from them, so they may still honor it today. Give it a shot. Plus, they have a higher Reseller Rating than J&R and 6ave and more reviews to boot. (Wish I had checked RR before ordering, but I was getting a little frantic.)

So, now I have to get my cables and wires sooner than expected... Monoprice, I have an order for you.

VSP
post #320 of 2589
Woo hoo. It came in today from new egg. Im so excited! The only problem is no speakers. I ordered a cheaper 5.1 setup until I can finish making my own. They look like they will be here on friday.
post #321 of 2589
I couldn't find silver on JR
post #322 of 2589
VulcanSoulPatch,

Funny you say that. Monoprice is just where I came from after my last post and ordered some speaker cable and plugs.
post #323 of 2589
skippydog: ha, that's funny... I am there now trying to figure out what style, gauge, and length to get right now. I guess I need to measure my room, first. I decided to go the plug route too, after seeing the Monoprice guide that someone had linked to (forgot who, CRS syndrome). The one plug next to the other types sure looked clean, so methinks I will have to go for that this go 'round... and a wire stripper, too... too many wires to do with my Leatherman.
post #324 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

I conferred with the CFO last night and decided that whatever price the 707 would come out with, it would be over our budget, so might as well jump on the 6ave coupon so that we can enjoy it now, rather than wait for Black Friday or reductions when the next model comes out.

I decided that I would just order from 6ave rather than price matching. For me, I would rather have the unit shipped later and then use the interim to buy more HDMI cables and get the rear speaker wire installed. So, I went to 6ave and entered the coupon code. No dice. Called them up. "It's expired." Even though Tech Bargains has said that the expiration was today, 6ave has decided otherwise. So, the guy talked to his supervisor and after 5 mins came back with this deal: Purchase the $29.99 extended warranty and we will honor our coupon.

I bet you are thinking the same thing I am thinking...

WTF?!?!?

I know it's their prerogative and all, but that was just way uncool.

So, I called up J&R, and the CSR checked the 6ave site and told me that he couldn't find the deal. I told him it was a coupon and couldn't find it on their site either, but saw it on SlickDeals and TechBargains and read here that a bunch of people price matched it through them. I did mention to him that it was supposed to expire today. This time I waited 10 mins on hold while he talked with his manager. He came back and honored the coupon, and told me that they wouldn't do it after today (odd, since I already told him the coupon expires today... anyway).

So, I just squeaked in with this deal. If you have not yet taken advantage of this deal, I would do it NOW. Call J&R, or better yet, call OneCall... Samsunging said he got his this morning from them, so they may still honor it today. Give it a shot. Plus, they have a higher Reseller Rating than J&R and 6ave and more reviews to boot. (Wish I had checked RR before ordering, but I was getting a little frantic.)

So, now I have to get my cables and wires sooner than expected... Monoprice, I have an order for you.

VSP

I called JR just now. CSR told me they are aware of 6ave pricing and aware that they are not offering $374.25 + FS anymore. Best he could do was $399 + shipping, which was around $20 (to FL). I told him no thanks, and he said thanks for calling and hung up.

Onecall shows the unit on backorder, as does 6Ave. JR has it in stock.

I actually have it ordered from 6ave but I got an email today saying its on backorder and should be available within 21 days.

So if anyone is looking to pick up this receiver, JR is the place right now, but make sure you call (don't order online, its $449 there).
post #325 of 2589
VulcanSoulPatch do the linked ones fit the back of the 607 correctly? I saw them listed but didnt place an order for them due to the fact that it said it may not fit the back of receivers due to the spacing being different. However for the speaker terminals it should work.
post #326 of 2589
skippydog, dunno about that. I am looking at the closed screw type... they look nicer and are cheaper. Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the speaker side of the connection... since only my receiver will be new, I was only thinking about the back of it. Guess I don't really need plugs on the back of the speakers, but to be thorough...

Although, since the connections on the back of my speakers angle up, using bare wire connection allows the wires to lay flat against the back of the speaker, vs arched up in the air like I am presuming it would be with the plugs. Hmmm... stuff to think about.
post #327 of 2589
Im going to take a ruler to mine and see if the connected/linked plugs will work. I will let you know what I find. If they do Im going to change my order and get them instead as well.
post #328 of 2589
Since I dinged them in my previous post for not honoring their own coupon, I feel it is only right that (since I have not logged off yet) if you are willing to wait a month for the receiver (the ship wait is 21 business days), 6ave is still honoring their coupon until 9pm EDT (1 hour from now).

I just got a call from a 6ave rep asking if I had already made my purchase and from who. He notified me that they were still honoring the coupon, that the website didn't allow the entry due to the unit being on backorder. As for why the rep I spoke with earlier said they wouldn't honor it, he didn't say.

So, here is the last last chance for a great deal on a great receiver (at least, I am hoping it is!), a deal which will most likely not see again for some time.

VSP
post #329 of 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wompa164 View Post

I'd like to know this, too. If I buy this receiver, I'll be using it with my HTPC and I have seperate outputs for both video and sound. DVI -> HDMI output from the videocard and 1/8" analog -> RCA from the soundcard.

Just want to make sure this will pair up properly with the receiver and I can use both sources.

I would suggest avoiding analog/RCA signals between your PC and stereo at all costs. Most modern sound cards have a SPDIF digital connection that has MUCH higher sound quality. If you don't have one, a new card is extremely cheap and will give you MUCH better sound.
post #330 of 2589
skip, I was chatting with Monoprice rep to get some info on speaker wire, and I asked about the dual plugs you are looking at. He didn't really answer the questions as to how you fit bare wire in, but I am thinking it would attach more like the open screw design than the closed screw design. I think the port on the back of the plug is for attaching "other banana plugs" as mentioned in the product description. You may want to contact them and ask yourself... hopefully you will get someone who knows a little bit more about this specific plug.

I also mentioned that the photos did not show how the duals come apart (like it does with both the open and closed types), but I didn't get a response to that comment. It would be nice if they showed something to that extent.

So, if anyone happens to have banana plugs like the Dual High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs [JX-74052] that monoprice has, can you tell us how bare wire connects to them?

I am still partial to the closed screw type and will be going with them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR607 Thread