or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Centronics ZAT 502 HD / RTC DTA1100HD / Digiwave DTV5000HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Centronics ZAT 502 HD / RTC DTA1100HD / Digiwave DTV5000HD - Page 11

post #301 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuman View Post

I looked in Google before and the only hits are small retailers.

I would trust Summit Source.
post #302 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriFocals View Post

I thought I would reprogram the ZAT's remote to operate my TV's (Samsung HLP6163WX) volume control as well as it's power switch. What went wrong is the Zat's internal volume was turned down to zero before the remote was reprogrammed for the TV's volume control. Now I have no vol out. I can't figure a way to reset the internal ZAT's volume to 100% as the remote is now set up for the TV.

I have removed batteries from remote but it won't reset. I have also unplugged the ZAT 502 to reboot it but no luck. Ideas?

If you haven't already, try resetting the ZAT to factory defaults:

Menu / Setup / Factory Default (default password is 1234)

That might restore audio volume on the box to 100%.
post #303 of 481
'Just got my ZAT from Centronics and the picture is terrific (even better than the decent KWorld unit I just returned).

One nitpick, though -- the LCD display has a slight headache-inducing flicker. Anybody else has this issue?

Another question -- I'm not an audiophile so please enlighten me ... I am using an optical cable, going from the ZAT to my Onkyo receiver (video is via hdmi from tuner to receiver to plasma). In the ZAT menu, when I set the SPDIF to AC3, I do see Dolby Digital as an option on the Onkyo. However, when I set the SPDIF to PCM, I don't see Dolby D. but seem to have more stereo surround options on the Onkyo (Dolby ProLogic II, DTS Neo:6) .. Aren't those better than Dolby D? Or is that a whole new discussion?

Thanks so much!
post #304 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickchiq View Post

In the ZAT menu, when I set the SPDIF to AC3, I do see Dolby Digital as an option on the Onkyo.

AC3 is discrete 5.1. There are a total of 6 individual audio channels that are sent from the source.

Quote:


However, when I set the SPDIF to PCM, I don't see Dolby D. but seem to have more stereo surround options on the Onkyo (Dolby ProLogic II, DTS Neo:6) .. Aren't those better than Dolby D?

Stereo is 2-channel audio. The surround channels are derived from the two channels received from the source. Discrete multi-channel is considered "better" because you should hear the sound effects as intended by the creator rather than than what the processor decided. The surround processor may guess wrong, and "steer" the effect to the "wrong" speaker.
post #305 of 481
Wow, I actually understood that. Thanks blue_z!
post #306 of 481
Buy from Canada $ 98 CAD Click , copy paste for the link ( they don't let me) h==p://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=025314&cid=SAT.502

Digiwave DTV5000: ATSC HD Tuner , it is the same ...
post #307 of 481
Hey guys,

I keep having an issue with my zat-502.

For a few days now I was using it with an antenna fine, and then decided right before my cable was disconnected, to hook it up and try it was a QAM tuner, it worked great!

I decided to call cablevision and tell them instead of completely disconnecting my service I wanted to keep broadcast basic for $10 a month. They said fine. I called the next day to confirm that they were not disconnecting me. They said no. I asked why I still had a service appointment and the lady said a guy still had to come out to do something outside of the building.

All day today "after the service appointment" my ZAT-502 keeps shutting off. I turn it on, it turns on for a second and then shuts it self off where I cannot get it to turn on unloess i pull the plug for awhile. Then it will work flawlessly for a bit.

Is there something wrong with the centronics tuner, or is there something cablevision does to prevent stealing cable?

The fact this started happening after this service appointment, and I did not see why someone was coming out has me concerned.
post #308 of 481
Ask your cableco if you're supposed to be getting the channels you are trying to get, on their broadcast basic tier.
post #309 of 481
I have a feeling theres something wrong with the centronics tuner. Perhaps a bad solder joint. I noticed when the picture goes blank and the display goes blank, it will sit there a bit and turn on by it self later on. And if I tap on it it sometimes speeds it up.

Kinda sucks to be me right now
post #310 of 481
Is there ANY chance it is cablevision causing the tuner it shut down? I called and they said no. I remember 'bullets" from back in the day, but is there anything like that anymore?

I'm not doing anything illegal but I still wouldn't put them making a mistake AGAIN past them.
post #311 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickchiq View Post

'Just got my ZAT from Centronics and the picture is terrific (even better than the decent KWorld unit I just returned).

I'm also currently using the KWorld which has been good so far except that it freezes when it reach a certain channel. All you gotta do is unplug and reboot and it works fine again. However, I'm curious about the pic. quality and other features compared to the Centronics. I can't return mine, but wonder if it's worth upgrading.
post #312 of 481
I have a kworld. The tuner is unbelievably good for weak signals (I'm getting stations from 40-70+ miles away with rabbit ear loop antenna), and HD picture quality is pretty good. But SD PQ is awful, and that's viewing on a 19" computer monitor. I can't help but believe clickchiq is right regarding the picture quality of the ZAT vs the kworld.
post #313 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetube0a3 View Post

Hey guys,

I keep having an issue with my zat-502.

For a few days now I was using it with an antenna fine, and then decided right before my cable was disconnected, to hook it up and try it was a QAM tuner, it worked great!

I decided to call cablevision and tell them instead of completely disconnecting my service I wanted to keep broadcast basic for $10 a month. They said fine. I called the next day to confirm that they were not disconnecting me. They said no. I asked why I still had a service appointment and the lady said a guy still had to come out to do something outside of the building.

All day today "after the service appointment" my ZAT-502 keeps shutting off. I turn it on, it turns on for a second and then shuts it self off where I cannot get it to turn on unloess i pull the plug for awhile. Then it will work flawlessly for a bit.

Is there something wrong with the centronics tuner, or is there something cablevision does to prevent stealing cable?

The fact this started happening after this service appointment, and I did not see why someone was coming out has me concerned.

If you disconnect the cable and reconnect to the antenna does it behave the same way? If not, look into a DC blocking filter, there may be some voltage on the cable that is causing trouble.
post #314 of 481
Or a ground loop problem.
post #315 of 481
I may have to try hooking an antenna up again. I just checked for a groundloop and I doubt it. I measure 7mv offset between the coax shield and my rca cables as well as to the tv chassis which is grounded.

I used to have somewhere around 40V difference in my last place. that used to cause constant problems, my way around it was to use two baluns together, 75 to 300, 300 to 75.


I unfortunately have no way to look at whats coming in the coax really. Atleast not until next week. Both of my scopes are only good to 100MHz but next week I can borrow a scope from work if need be.
post #316 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTwo View Post

... I'm curious about the pic. quality and other features compared to the Centronics. I can't return mine, but wonder if it's worth upgrading.

Using an amplified antenna, I thought the HD pic quality on the Centronics was a little better than the KWorld ('didn't watch SD channels). Not THAT much better, so i don't think it's worth upgrading if pic quality is your only concern. I opted for the Centronics because of the Dolby Digital capability. If you have a higher end audio setup, then definitely upgrade.
post #317 of 481
Due to issues i'm having with my zat502 i'm probably going to try and return it.

Now my question is, since i'm using this as a QAM tuner only and not for over the air, is there a better tuner out there for me? Anything in the $100-200 range is acceptable. The ZAT502 just seems cheesy in some ways.

I'd love a DVR but they seem really pricey and hard to find. Another thing I had thought about was I've seen a few DVD recorders with built in tuners, tho obviously they won't record in HD, are the tuners worth anything?
post #318 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetube0a3 View Post

Due to issues i'm having with my zat502 i'm probably going to try and return it.

Now my question is, since i'm using this as a QAM tuner only and not for over the air, is there a better tuner out there for me? Anything in the $100-200 range is acceptable. The ZAT502 just seems cheesy in some ways.

I'd love a DVR but they seem really pricey and hard to find. Another thing I had thought about was I've seen a few DVD recorders with built in tuners, tho obviously they won't record in HD, are the tuners worth anything?

Sounds to me that you are ready to start investigating PC based systems. Far more tuners available for PCs than as STBs. The drawback is that it is a lot more work to get them set up and working properly.

If you do plan to go this way, I suggest the HDHomeRun with MythTV under Linux.
post #319 of 481
DAP : sometimes far more work is far worth it.
post #320 of 481
Well, good news I spose.

It looks like the RMA process is a pain so I decided to just fix the centronics my self.

It looks like it had a bad solder joint on one of the chips. tuner is working 100% solid, at least for now.
post #321 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

I have a kworld. The tuner is unbelievably good for weak signals (I'm getting stations from 40-70+ miles away with rabbit ear loop antenna), and HD picture quality is pretty good. But SD PQ is awful, and that's viewing on a 19" computer monitor. I can't help but believe clickchiq is right regarding the picture quality of the ZAT vs the kworld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickchiq View Post

Using an amplified antenna, I thought the HD pic quality on the Centronics was a little better than the KWorld ('didn't watch SD channels). Not THAT much better, so i don't think it's worth upgrading if pic quality is your only concern. I opted for the Centronics because of the Dolby Digital capability. If you have a higher end audio setup, then definitely upgrade.

Can you comment on the tunner reception capability? Are you getting more channels or better quality reception compared to the kworld. As Arxaw mentioned, the kworld is very good for weak signals.

I'm also more concerned about HD pic. I don't watch much SD, but it's a nice option to browse if there's nothing good in HD. I'm pretty satisfied with the pic. quality of kworld, but an improvement even a little is still an improvement.

My audio setup is a fairly decent (5.1, not HTIB). I typically turn them on when watching BD movies. So the Dolby Digital capability in the Centronics is definitely a plus.
post #322 of 481
Just wanted to let everyone know, since I repaired the zat502-hd the performance has been perfect. The occasional blockiness I was getting is gone as is the constant shutting off.

The display still flickers and is dim, but from what i've seen this is normal for the unit. I may look into a mod to fix that as well as putting a larger heatsink on the chip inside, it runs a tad warm for something i'm going to be leaving on 24\\7.

the soldering quality in the unit is pretty poor unfortunately. However I have not found many posts of this box having issues like I was having. For $100 the performance the unit gives is hard to compete with. The picture quality and sound quality are every bit as good as any HD cable box I've used and i'm sure those were a bit more then $100.
post #323 of 481
I've read through the thread and I'm a little confused...

In 3-4 weeks, my theater build will be finished and I am using the ZAT 502hd.

The ZAT will be in a closet with the other gear (Denon avr 1610 receiver, PS3, Xbox 360).

I have an Epson 8100 projector that will be mounted in the center of the room, roughly 12 feet from the closet.

The current plan is PS3, 360, and ZAT >>>>> connected to the receiver >>>>>>> connected to the Projector via HDMI from the receiver.


What would the ideal setup for the ZAT be in my system? I've gotten confused reading how some are using the optical cable, some are using HDMI, etc....


Thanks
post #324 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthershutch15 View Post

I've read through the thread and I'm a little confused...

In 3-4 weeks, my theater build will be finished and I am using the ZAT 502hd.

The ZAT will be in a closet with the other gear (Denon avr 1610 receiver, PS3, Xbox 360).

I have an Epson 8100 projector that will be mounted in the center of the room, roughly 12 feet from the closet.

The current plan is PS3, 360, and ZAT >>>>> connected to the receiver >>>>>>> connected to the Projector via HDMI from the receiver.


What would the ideal setup for the ZAT be in my system? I've gotten confused reading how some are using the optical cable, some are using HDMI, etc....


Thanks

It appears the audio through the HDMI cable is limited to stereo. (you should test this to be sure). You may need to run an optical cable in parallel with the HDMI cable between the 502 and your receiver, and set up the receiver to use the optical cable instead of the HDMI for audio when the 502 is selected.
post #325 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

It appears the audio through the HDMI cable is limited to stereo. (you should test this to be sure). You may need to run an optical cable in parallel with the HDMI cable between the 502 and your receiver, and set up the receiver to use the optical cable instead of the HDMI for audio when the 502 is selected.


That's what I was thinking...Thanks..

I ordered an optical cable after my post this morning, won't be able to test it all out until next month, but hopefully that works well..
post #326 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

It appears the audio through the HDMI cable is limited to stereo. (you should test this to be sure). You may need to run an optical cable in parallel with the HDMI cable between the 502 and your receiver, and set up the receiver to use the optical cable instead of the HDMI for audio when the 502 is selected.

This has been confirmed to be true, by everyone who has tested this tuner. So, yes, those instructions for getting HD video and DD audio are correct.
post #327 of 481
Has anyone compared this receiver to the Hisense db2010? I've had my Hisense box for over a year and until recently no problems, but the PSU has finally died which is common on them. They have a very active community here as well..

Just wondering if I should replace that one with another Hisense at around $50-65, or try one of these which people rave about too, but are about $50 more
post #328 of 481
Folks -
I've had nothing but trouble trying to get this tuner to play nice with my Denon AVR-790 receiver. The receiver has been rock solid with my PS3, and I have tried multiple inputs and cables.

I've had THREE brand new DTV5000HD tuners, and all have exhibited the following symptoms:
1) When HDMI connection is used for audio and video, the audio randomly cuts out. The audio seeem to be stable when the optical connection is used.
2) The image color (via HDMI) is completely off 95% of the time. It shows up in various shades of cyan and pink - it's totally unwatchable!

Is there any work around for the image color issue this? The vendor, Summit Source, won't offer me a refund; only store credit.
Any thoughts?
Mika
post #329 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallem5 View Post

Folks -
I've had nothing but trouble trying to get this tuner to play nice with my Denon AVR-790 receiver. The receiver has been rock solid with my PS3, and I have tried multiple inputs and cables.

I've had THREE brand new DTV5000HD tuners, and all have exhibited the following symptoms:
1) When HDMI connection is used for audio and video, the audio randomly cuts out. The audio seeem to be stable when the optical connection is used.
2) The image color (via HDMI) is completely off 95% of the time. It shows up in various shades of cyan and pink - it's totally unwatchable!

Is there any work around for the image color issue this? The vendor, Summit Source, won't offer me a refund; only store credit.
Any thoughts?
Mika

Use component video.
post #330 of 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Use component video.

Thanks - that took care of the issue.
Mika
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Centronics ZAT 502 HD / RTC DTA1100HD / Digiwave DTV5000HD