or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › BIC Acoustech H200 Subwoofer (AKA PL-200)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BIC Acoustech H200 Subwoofer (AKA PL-200) - Page 9

post #241 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper99 View Post

I have a question about the on/auto/off switch.does your sub turn on immediately when you turn on the receiver or does it take a few seconds?I have mine seet on auto and it takes a little while for it to turn on.

I think it is normal for it to take a few seconds. I believe if the volume is up a little higher it will detect it faster. Try it and see if i'm correct.
post #242 of 1399
Mine is pretty much as quick responding as you could hope for an audio device to respond. Once it detects an LFE signal, maybe 1-2 seconds.
post #243 of 1399
Okay, a quick review: Just finished watching Sherlock Holmes and have the pl-200 sub combined with my Earthquake Supernova MKV 12 inch sub and I would say the pl-200 is a great addition. It seems to complement the Earthquake and the dual subs hit hard!

For the price, I would urge you guys to go for a dual pl-200 sub system if you have the room.

Dave
post #244 of 1399
After some more testing, I have gotten the sound to improve yet again. I moved the sub from the front right corner behind the speakers, to the back right corner, opposite of the front speakers. I also tweaked the crossovers until I couldn't tweak any more, and now have the fronts on 60, center 70, surrounds 80, tweaked the dB level off all of the speakers to better blend with the new addition. Then further tuned the volume by playing low volume (which is a surprising way to tune) and just using my ears to listen on a test track with a 20-80hz sweep for the point where the front and sub sounded like they were doing about equal duty, then I bumped up the sub volume by maybe 10% on the knob (roughly 9:30 or 10 o'clock). Everything sounds so much better with it set up this way. And this is only the first "new" place I have tried it, so I may move it more tomorrow to see if I can further optimize the sound.
post #245 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung-Guy View Post

After some more testing, I have gotten the sound to improve yet again. I moved the sub from the front right corner behind the speakers, to the back right corner, opposite of the front speakers. I also tweaked the crossovers until I couldn't tweak any more, and now have the fronts on 60, center 70, surrounds 80, tweaked the dB level off all of the speakers to better blend with the new addition. Then further tuned the volume by playing low volume (which is a surprising way to tune) and just using my ears to listen on a test track with a 20-80hz sweep for the point where the front and sub sounded like they were doing about equal duty, then I bumped up the sub volume by maybe 10% on the knob (roughly 9:30 or 10 o'clock). Everything sounds so much better with it set up this way. And this is only the first "new" place I have tried it, so I may move it more tomorrow to see if I can further optimize the sound.

what receiver/speakers do you have?
post #246 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper99 View Post

what receiver/speakers do you have?

Sony DN1000 receiver, Polk Monitor 60 fronts, CS1 center and Monitor 40 surrounds.
post #247 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung-Guy View Post

Sony DN1000 receiver, Polk Monitor 60 fronts, CS1 center and Monitor 40 surrounds.

Sweet, almost the same as mine. I have the Monitor 60 fronts, CS2 center, and the Monitor 40 surrounds. I'm loving my set-up. Oh and I just found out my neighbors downstairs went on vacation so i'll be cranking out my freshly received LOTR blu-rays!!!
post #248 of 1399
This is the last comment I make Until 4/8/2010.. Im wait until I get it. I seem to get some people upset... So me being the pickiest person about subwoofers Ill let you all know what I think when it comes in on the 4/8 ...... Samsung-Guy thanks for all the help and information your putting on here....

post #249 of 1399
Don't know if I would call it "help", but no problem. Just my pointless rambling about my new sub.
post #250 of 1399
I hope you guys can help me out a bit:

I am in the market for a compact, musical sub, as my main interest is music. My system right now is:
Music Hall a25.2 int amp and Onix Ref-1 monitors and Onix s-sub, (the x-sub is quite musical, but its color doesn't match the Ref-1s, and I am looking for better color match AND perhaps a bit more "oomph" for movies, BUT my main interest is music)...

So I've been thinking about the following:
PL-200, H-100, and HSU stf-1 and stf-2, and perhaps the a2-300...

of those subs, which will give me the most musical sound, and best bang for the buck?

is the PL-200 really better than the HSU stf-2 or stf-1 ?
how about the Outlaw LFM-1 compact? Thanks so much in advance.

I like to stay around $300 total.
post #251 of 1399
Hard to say which would be the most musical out of a group of not particularly good music subs, but I would guess probably the STF-2 or the A2-300, in that order. Of course having never heard either of them, I wouldn't know. Maybe someone here has heard them and can give better real input.
post #252 of 1399
HSU stf-2 Hands down is the best subwoofer for music i done tones of reading and thats all that I came across only reason I did not get it cause i didn't have the extra cash to dish out.
post #253 of 1399
yeah that's my problem, too...
How about the STF-1? it also has some killer reviews, and the for factor (not to mention price) is more appealing to me...i don't care much about a few Hz lost...
post #254 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

yeah that's my problem, too...
How about the STF-1? it also has some killer reviews, and the for factor (not to mention price) is more appealing to me...i don't care much about a few Hz lost...

The STF 1 is just as good as the STF 2 just well not be as deep of bass and not as loud.. It depends on the size of the room, If the room is smaller the STF 1 well sounds great. If its a bigger room then it will not "fill" your whole room with bass and could sound bad.
post #255 of 1399
I think the BIC subs are to be paired with full sized fronts for best use. They only really make full sized fronts and a limited range of subs...

I have no problem with it playing music because the bass it does play is clean and precise. The upper notes are definitely weaker but for my use: tv, movies, games... it's awesome and it doesn't suck for music, it's just not perfect. And if it were perfect for music, it'd not be perfect for it's main use.
post #256 of 1399
Well, I thought I was going to get lucky and have mine on friday but no dice. My THREE PL 200's will be here wednesday and I will do a comparison vs my ed a2-300 with one of them, my sunfire 8" super junior and my sunfire hrs-10 as well as my speaker company 300 I have lying around....
Best,
Chris
post #257 of 1399
post #258 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Well, I thought I was going to get lucky and have mine on friday but no dice. My THREE PL 200's will be here wednesday and I will do a comparison vs my ed a2-300 with one of them, my sunfire 8" super junior and my sunfire hrs-10 as well as my speaker company 300 I have lying around....
Best,
Chris

Really interested to see that A2-300 comparison to see what I missed out on.
post #259 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung-Guy View Post

Really interested to see that A2-300 comparison to see what I missed out on.

I'd like to know too. I had an A2-300 ordered but the 8 week wait killed that for me.
post #260 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

I'd like to know too. I had an A2-300 ordered but the 8 week wait killed that for me.

Same here. I was very close to pulling the trigger, but last minute reading of amp issues, and seeing the 8-12 week wait, I decided it wasn't worth it.
post #261 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Well, I thought I was going to get lucky and have mine on friday but no dice. My THREE PL 200's will be here wednesday and I will do a comparison vs my ed a2-300 with one of them, my sunfire 8" super junior and my sunfire hrs-10 as well as my speaker company 300 I have lying around....
Best,
Chris

Three subs?Dang!
post #262 of 1399
In the looking for a best bang for the bucks Subwoofer. Would the PA200 be the best for me? Ill be using it in a dedicated theatre room (mostly movies) and love that big woofer sound.
How does the BIC PA200 compare to the F12 and where are you guys getting the best deal at?
post #263 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec View Post

In the looking for a best bang for the bucks Subwoofer. Would the PA200 be the best for me? Ill be using it in a dedicated theatre room (mostly movies) and love that big woofer sound.
How does the BIC PA200 compare to the F12 and where are you guys getting the best deal at?

read thread
post #264 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1234 View Post

read thread


just did. Was at work and went to the last page. Answered my question..thanks!
post #265 of 1399
I hate to say it... but I already have a terrible itch for a second PL-200 It's a great sub, but I'm still having those slightly underwhelming feelings. Plus my room acoustics after doing the sub crawl, I've decided are pretty rotten. I thought the 50 degree angled ceilings would help acoustics, but even placed in the corner, which seems to produce the most powerful sound, outside of a few feet away, SPL drops on its face and the sound is slightly "muddy". Especially across the room at my computer area where I am 80% of the time when I am listening to music. Sometimes I even have to look across the room at the cone to see if it's even moving. That second sub would really help fill out those dead spots and add to overall SPL, which would be nothing but +'s.
post #266 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung-Guy View Post

I hate to say it... but I already have a terrible itch for a second PL-200 It's a great sub, but I'm still having those slightly underwhelming feelings. Plus my room acoustics after doing the sub crawl, I've decided are pretty rotten. I thought the 50 degree angled ceilings would help acoustics, but even placed in the corner, which seems to produce the most powerful sound, outside of a few feet away, SPL drops on its face and the sound is slightly "muddy". Especially across the room at my computer area where I am 80% of the time when I am listening to music. Sometimes I even have to look across the room at the cone to see if it's even moving. That second sub would really help fill out those dead spots and add to overall SPL, which would be nothing but +'s.

Is this a problem with the sub or your room acoustics? Did you have the same effect with your old subwoofer?
post #267 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by integ3 View Post

Is this a problem with the sub or your room acoustics? Did you have the same effect with your old subwoofer?

This is the first sub in this room. Considering the output is so high near the sub, I would say it almost entirely my room, not the sub. I can stand over the sub, or within a few feet and it almost make me cough ( Yes cough, tickles my lungs) and can really be felt even at lower volume levels. Just just one step further back and that chest rattling bass almost entirely vanishes. I guess it's just the odd shaped room. Too many angles to predict what the sound will do. On top of angled ceilings above the wall, there is a large open area in one corner that used to be a walk in closet, that is now fully open. That's roughly 6'x7' of new open space with it's own angles, and a header on top of the opening.
post #268 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung-Guy View Post

This is the first sub in this room. Considering the output is so high near the sub, I would say it almost entirely my room, not the sub. I can stand over the sub, or within a few feet and it almost make me cough ( Yes cough, tickles my lungs) and can really be felt even at lower volume levels. Just just one step further back and that chest rattling bass almost entirely vanishes. I guess it's just the odd shaped room. Too many angles to predict what the sound will do. On top of angled ceilings above the wall, there is a large open area in one corner that used to be a walk in closet, that is now fully open. That's roughly 6'x7' of new open space with it's own angles, and a header on top of the opening.

You might want to look in to an HSU sub.
People have been able to run their subs in overdamped mode and using the audassy EQ(assuming your receiver has this feature) to get a flat response of the freq's through the subs.
post #269 of 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung-Guy View Post

This is the first sub in this room. Considering the output is so high near the sub, I would say it almost entirely my room, not the sub. I can stand over the sub, or within a few feet and it almost make me cough ( Yes cough, tickles my lungs) and can really be felt even at lower volume levels. Just just one step further back and that chest rattling bass almost entirely vanishes. I guess it's just the odd shaped room. Too many angles to predict what the sound will do. On top of angled ceilings above the wall, there is a large open area in one corner that used to be a walk in closet, that is now fully open. That's roughly 6'x7' of new open space with it's own angles, and a header on top of the opening.

You might want to look in to an HSU sub.
People have been able to run their subs in overdamped mode and using the audassy EQ(assuming your receiver has this feature) to get a flat response of the freq's through the subs.

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthr...5017#post55017

*HSU also has a 30 day money back guarantee - shipping.


Also, does your receiver have a manual adjustment EQ for the subwoofer?
post #270 of 1399
Really dumb question. I am running KEF 3005's with the 10 inch subwoofer and I am thinking of buying this sub since my room is huge and open and I need something bigger to fill the space.

The reason I am thinking of buying this is due to my room design I can only put the sub up front by my TV and this sub will fit exactly beside my TV stand.

Now, my dumb question how do you think stacking my KEF sub on top of this sub would work since I have a 7.2 receiver.

KEF sub for reference: http://www.amazon.com/KEF-HTB2BL-SE-...0572750&sr=1-2

Edit. The reason I am looking at this sub also is I take surveys for $$ and I have $300 in survey money in my amazon account so I can get this for free pretty much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › BIC Acoustech H200 Subwoofer (AKA PL-200)