or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Southland' on TNT HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Southland' on TNT HD - Page 18

post #511 of 553
@YoungC - Her partner asked did you turn that case into IA and she said, yea and don't think I forgot all that stuff you said earlier
post #512 of 553
Would like to see Shaq in some more cameos. smile.gif
post #513 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I finally watched last week's episode on-line since I had neglected to DVR it for some reason. Wow, what a powerful episode. Gerald McRaney was fabulous as usual!! smile.gif

Yep, he better win an Emmy for this stint.
post #514 of 553
I was disappointed in the writing wrt to Sherman hiring a burglar to get the camcorder tape. First, no self-respecting burglar is going to go into a home without checking to see if someone is there. More importantly, why would Sherman tell him to paint the gang tags on the walls? Knowing that his partner is a hothead, wouldn't he think that his partner is going to go after the gang and really create a big problem?
post #515 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

I was disappointed in the writing wrt to Sherman hiring a burglar to get the camcorder tape. First, no self-respecting burglar is going to go into a home without checking to see if someone is there. More importantly, why would Sherman tell him to paint the gang tags on the walls? Knowing that his partner is a hothead, wouldn't he think that his partner is going to go after the gang and really create a big problem?
Sherman is Not the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer ya know . Add in he hired a gang banger who plays Vid games all day who has a 1/4 of smarts as Sherman does , that mix don't bode well at all . . Sherman has sophomore swagger , thinks with his d*ck , makes bad rookie choices , extremely poor choices in friends & women . Sherman is headed for a correction soon & he'll look at the correction as a "why Me ? " attitude . He thinks Sammy has made a bad choice in keeping the video & his choice of getting the vid a good choice . The viewers are all thinking Sherman your a idiot !
That's what makes "Southland" so good is some of characters have severe personally flaws .
post #516 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

I was disappointed in the writing wrt to Sherman hiring a burglar to get the camcorder tape. First, no self-respecting burglar is going to go into a home without checking to see if someone is there. More importantly, why would Sherman tell him to paint the gang tags on the walls? Knowing that his partner is a hothead, wouldn't he think that his partner is going to go after the gang and really create a big problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Sherman is Not the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer ya know . Add in he hired a gang banger who plays Vid games all day who has a 1/4 of smarts as Sherman does , that mix don't bode well at all . . Sherman has sophomore swagger , thinks with his d*ck , makes bad rookie choices , extremely poor choices in friends & women . Sherman is headed for a correction soon & he'll look at the correction as a "why Me ? " attitude . He thinks Sammy has made a bad choice in keeping the video & his choice of getting the vid a good choice . The viewers are all thinking Sherman your a idiot !
That's what makes "Southland" so good is some of characters have severe personally flaws .

I agree in part with both of you. The premise of the burglary was mindless. As the Big Reveal came that the heist and the attack of the babysitter had been Sherman's work, I thought it was a shark jumping moment. I agree, though, that Sherman's good looks, charm, and intelligence, usually outstrip his judgment. Still, it seems to me that the writers made a big mistake with this turn of events.
post #517 of 553
Sherman has been a " I'm right " guy since he 1st rode with Coop .
the writers have been leading up to this point all long , I feel they have had a good track record with "Southland" & I trust this will play out with the high level of drama the show is famous for . smile.gif
post #518 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Sherman has been a " I'm right " guy since he 1st rode with Coop .
the writers have been leading up to this point all long , I feel they have had a good track record with "Southland" & I trust this will play out with the high level of drama the show is famous for . smile.gif

Oh, yeah, despite my dislike of the writers' decision to have Ben commission a gang banger, of all people, to break into Sammy's house and steal the incriminating video, I haven't lost my enthusiasm for the show or my admiration of the mostly high quality of its writing.
post #519 of 553
Thread Starter 
wow! Holy sh*t. Episode titled "Chaos" was really chaos eek.gif / frown.gif

Season finale next week. Don't want it to end.
post #520 of 553
That was intense.
post #521 of 553
I knew as soon the "Strokeface" ran into the building under construction that it wasn't gonna end well & then seeing the open rebar @ the door way , I knew that was gonna play into it all . That kind of injury happens all the time around rebar , so much so that OSHA demands that large plastic caps be put on every end piece of open rebar to help prevent a accidents like that . eek.gif
post #522 of 553
This week's Southland was wonderful television. Early in the show, Cooper's profound misreading of his partner's sexual orientation really surprised me. Cooper took Lucero into the gay bar without forewarning. Still, I would have expected Cooper to know better than to make a move and for Lucero to be a little cooler and less homophobic when Cooper made his move. If Lucero had stayed cool and just said, "Hey, man, I'm not into that sort of thing," Cooper would have unquestionably backed off and that would have been that. Poor Cooper. bad stuff seems to keep happening to him. The disarming and kidnapping of Cooper and Lucero was overwhelming, one of the most intense things I have seen on the show.

Thought the next chapter of the aftermath of the break in to Sammy's house was almost painful. When Ben saw the kid who he had commissioned to do the job wearing a jacket he had stolen from Sammy's house and braced the kid about it, I nearly groaned. Then when Strokeface was conveniently killed on exposed rebar at a construction site while being chased by Sammy I nearly screamed. No matter, though, Southland moves so quickly and examines so many pieces of the story, I forgive the writers for occasional silliness.
post #523 of 553
Again Southland has proven to be one of the best "underated" and under watched shows. The title of Chaos fit this episode so well fromt eh kidnapping to the confrontation with strokeface it was a non stop roller coaster. cant wait for next week, but sad that this season is about to come to an end.
post #524 of 553
I disagree that Cooper thought that his partner was gay or was hitting on him.

Cooper got fed up with his homophobic slurs and decided to make sure his partner knew he was gay.
post #525 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

I disagree that Cooper thought that his partner was gay or was hitting on him.

Cooper got fed up with his homophobic slurs and decided to make sure his partner knew he was gay.
Yeah,
that's how I took it as well . Cooper took his partner to that bar to see how he would react to Cooper being gay plus how would his partner react to being around gays , Cooper was trying to make a point that he was fed up with the slurs & this is how his life was .
post #526 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

I disagree that Cooper thought that his partner was gay or was hitting on him.

Cooper got fed up with his homophobic slurs and decided to make sure his partner knew he was gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Yeah,
that's how I took it as well . Cooper took his partner to that bar to see how he would react to Cooper being gay plus how would his partner react to being around gays , Cooper was trying to make a point that he was fed up with the slurs & this is how his life was .
Absolutely.
post #527 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

I disagree that Cooper thought that his partner was gay or was hitting on him.

Cooper got fed up with his homophobic slurs and decided to make sure his partner knew he was gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Yeah,
that's how I took it as well . Cooper took his partner to that bar to see how he would react to Cooper being gay plus how would his partner react to being around gays , Cooper was trying to make a point that he was fed up with the slurs & this is how his life was .

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post


Absolutely.

Agreed, when i saw it posted, I thought I missed something and would ahve to watch again. Since Cooper had the upper hand in the "fight" his partner basically spazzed......As we could see when it came down to under pressure events his partner lost it (was not stable)....While not stable himself Cooper almost always performs better under pressure...
post #528 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

I disagree that Cooper thought that his partner was gay or was hitting on him.

Cooper got fed up with his homophobic slurs and decided to make sure his partner knew he was gay.

If Cooper was really trying to teach Lucero a lesson, I can't think of a clumsier or less effective way he might have done it than coming on to Lucero. Cooper is a smart guy, so I think there was something in Lucero's conduct during the drunken wrestling match outside the gay bar that misled Cooper into thinking his attentions might be reciprocated. Lucero made matters worse by reacting to Cooper angrily instead of letting him down gently. Anyway, Lucero won't be making any more mistakes.
post #529 of 553
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

If Cooper was really trying to teach Lucero a lesson, I can't think of a clumsier or less effective way he might have done it than coming on to Lucero. Cooper is a smart guy, so I think there was something in Lucero's conduct during the drunken wrestling match outside the gay bar that misled Cooper into thinking his attentions might be reciprocated. Lucero made matters worse by reacting to Cooper angrily instead of letting him down gently. Anyway, Lucero won't be making any more mistakes.

Ha.
post #530 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

If Cooper was really trying to teach Lucero a lesson, I can't think of a clumsier or less effective way he might have done it than coming on to Lucero. Cooper is a smart guy, so I think there was something in Lucero's conduct during the drunken wrestling match outside the gay bar that misled Cooper into thinking his attentions might be reciprocated. Lucero made matters worse by reacting to Cooper angrily instead of letting him down gently. Anyway, Lucero won't be making any more mistakes.
The wresting match wasn't a come-on . That is what drunk guys do , the little man has a chip on his shoulder ,get a few drinks in him , then thinks out loud "I could take you in a minute " then the Big guy goes " O' yeah , lets see what ya got " the the pissing match goes physical . Little guy then gets mad when he loses & insults the the big guy with any dirt that he can think of . I've seen that happen soo many times before when friends of mine were out drinking when I was younger , there was always one little guy who after more than a few liquid courage boosters would start running his mouth how he could take all of us .
Cooper was not surprised by the reacting of partner at losing , as he expected that , all that talk of him be able to be around gays was just BS & the reaction of the partner losing to a 'Gay Guy' brought all that out .
post #531 of 553
Wow.

Simply wow. That was riveting. Didn't get a chance to sit down and watch the episode until last night. As soon as each commercial came on I was hitting the Skip button 6-8 times to jump to the next scene.

Sammy and Ben are going to come to a head I guess eh? And Strokeface's demise for me was foreshadowed when Sherman ran past the vertical rebar and it bounced back and forth as his gear hit the bars.

Poor Lucero. But what a way to go out. Memorable to say the least.
post #532 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

wow! Holy sh*t. Episode titled "Chaos" was really chaos eek.gif / frown.gif

Season finale next week. Don't want it to end.

Let's hope it is just the season finale and not the series finale.

This is a great program and it is really disappointing that it has not caught on with more viewers. The ratings have this show on the bubble or worse for returning again.
post #533 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

The wresting match wasn't a come-on . That is what drunk guys do , the little man has a chip on his shoulder ,get a few drinks in him , then thinks out loud "I could take you in a minute " then the Big guy goes " O' yeah , lets see what ya got " the the pissing match goes physical . Little guy then gets mad when he loses & insults the the big guy with any dirt that he can think of . I've seen that happen soo many times before when friends of mine were out drinking when I was younger , there was always one little guy who after more than a few liquid courage boosters would start running his mouth how he could take all of us .
Cooper was not surprised by the reacting of partner at losing , as he expected that , all that talk of him be able to be around gays was just BS & the reaction of the partner losing to a 'Gay Guy' brought all that out .

After reading your post, I rewatched the fight scene and now agree with you. When I first saw it, I had thought that Lucero's angry reaction was provoked by Cooper having tried to kiss him. I now agree that didn't happen. As you said, Lucero's angry reaction was purely the result of his having lost the wrestling match.
post #534 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Let's hope it is just the season finale and not the series finale.

This is a great program and it is really disappointing that it has not caught on with more viewers. The ratings have this show on the bubble or worse for returning again.

Has this been any different then the past 2 or more years? Its had basically the same ratings since it moved to TNT......
post #535 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

After reading your post, I rewatched the fight scene and now agree with you. When I first saw it, I had thought that Lucero's angry reaction was provoked by Cooper having tried to kiss him. I now agree that didn't happen. As you said, Lucero's angry reaction was purely the result of his having lost the wrestling match.

sweet! I thought I missed something wink.gif and wwas going to rewatch again, although I did rewind that scene when I saw it after Lucero's reaction. I thought I missed something then too....
post #536 of 553
I finally watched this amazing episode. All I can say is, "Wow!"
post #537 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Has this been any different then the past 2 or more years? Its had basically the same ratings since it moved to TNT......

Probably about the same, but the ratings indicate it is on life-support at best. Cross you fingers.
post #538 of 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Probably about the same, but the ratings indicate it is on life-support at best. Cross you fingers.

That was my point, if you pay attention to the ratings this show has been on "life support" for the past 2-3 seasons.....Not sure TNT is going to replace it with a better rated show......
post #539 of 553
Thread Starter 
holy cow! That can't happen frown.gif
post #540 of 553
Just wow, great episode and the ending whoa....
I kind of knew that would happen as soon as I saw the cops come though but still the effect was the same.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Southland' on TNT HD