or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxB6000, UNxxB7000 Settings/Calibration Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung UNxxB6000, UNxxB7000 Settings/Calibration Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 180
Personally i would go with the Cnet movie settings with the backlight at 4 and gamma at 0 when watching movies in dim light or in the dark.
post #32 of 180
Can the black crush supposedly inherent in these sets be eliminated by simply turning off "black tone" or increasing the gamma?
post #33 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Can the black crush supposedly inherent in these sets be eliminated by simply turning off "black tone" or increasing the gamma?

Yes
post #34 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Can the black crush supposedly inherent in these sets be eliminated by simply turning off "black tone" or increasing the gamma?

I agree this can really be adjusted out. there are no less than 4 areas than can control the black crush. you will need to play with these setting . sometimes your lighting will affect this as well. I am glad that Samsung gave us alot of control features but it will take some time to learn all of them.
post #35 of 180
Alright, I wanna get this thread revived. Let us (owners) post the modes we use (with or without settings) for different content.

I need some recommendations for sports and nature viewing HD content. I use movie mode for all movies and tv shows and sitcoms, but don't think it is right for the sports and nature shows.
For this content I have been going back and forth from standard to natural. What do you guys think.

when I get a chance I will post my settings for 'Movie, standard, natural". Not dynamic because I feel it is so unnatural it is not usable.
post #36 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsunging View Post

Alright, I wanna get this thread revived. Let us (owners) post the modes we use (with or without settings) for different content.

I need some recommendations for sports and nature viewing HD content. I use movie mode for all movies and tv shows and sitcoms, but don't think it is right for the sports and nature shows.
For this content I have been going back and forth from standard to natural. What do you guys think.

when I get a chance I will post my settings for 'Movie, standard, natural". Not dynamic because I feel it is so unnatural it is not usable.


I am using Natural for HD outdoor channels just dropped the back light down to 3 and using warm2. slight adjustment for sports on judder 10 and blur 1 look pretty good on my set. It seems that you need to watch the content for a while to see if you can dectect the changes. this is all on DVT HD. still looks good in SD but its hard to go back to SD channels.
post #37 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Exposure View Post

I am using Natural for HD outdoor channels just dropped the back light down to 3 and using warm2. slight adjustment for sports on judder 10 and blur 1 look pretty good on my set. It seems that you need to watch the content for a while to see if you can dectect the changes. this is all on DVT HD. still looks good in SD but its hard to go back to SD channels.

Ya I find Natural looks great for sports and outdoor channels but my complaint is it makes the picture too dark.

I have been doing the opposite. With my MOVIE setting I got backlight at 4 when I switch to Natural I'm forced to raise it to 6.
post #38 of 180
hey guys, i have a sammy LN40550a LCD tv, and it get's awfully warm, does the new LED generate a lot of heat?
post #39 of 180
Can someone else please post their professional calibration settings here for the UN40B6000. I tried CNET's settings, but I have a bright room and I think they calibrated their set for a darker room.
post #40 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by umalip View Post

hey guys, i have a sammy LN40550a LCD tv, and it get's awfully warm, does the new LED generate a lot of heat?


No heat i can feel from the Front of the screen and a tiny bit warm from the back. I think this is the coolest (temp wise) set i have seen. I have an infra red gun . tomorrow I will sho0t my plasma, sony LCD and the LED set and give you a reading after 1 hour of TV time.
post #41 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlycool View Post

Can someone else please post their professional calibration settings here for the UN40B6000. I tried CNET's settings, but I have a bright room and I think they calibrated their set for a darker room.

go back to the first page and try our various setting. the TV size shouldnt matter much. they are similar otherwise. try them and tell us what you see. the Cnet stuff was way dark in my opinion as well.
post #42 of 180
ok here are some screen readings. all of these with an accutech pyromometer
phillips 42 plasma screen mostly 100 with a hot spot at 104.3 , Sony 40 inch 4100 mostly 99 with hot spot 101. samsung 55B7100 screen 86 with hot spot 94. just FYI
post #43 of 180
For those of us who are not so smart can you tell me what that means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Exposure View Post

ok here are some screen readings. all of these with an accutech pyromometer
phillips 42 plasma screen mostly 100 with a hot spot at 104.3 , Sony 40 inch 4100 mostly 99 with hot spot 101. samsung 55B7100 screen 86 with hot spot 94. just FYI
post #44 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post

For those of us who are not so smart can you tell me what that means?

nothing spectacular just that LED sets runs a little cooler than the other sets. no great surprise, LED lights use less energy and generate less heat. But for some they want the actual numbers. Those are in degrees by the way. obviously not Celsius.
post #45 of 180
Posted also in owners thread - wasn't sure which was most apt and where it would be most appreciated, if at all!!

Hi,

Following on from the difficult to understand HDtvtest post (for me anyway), here's how I defeated the auto-dimming; hopefully this is clear and easy to follow.

Put the tv in standby mode, then press on the remote: INFO then MENU then MUTE and then POWER to put the TV on again. The TV will now start up and the service menu will apear on the left.

Scroll down to Advanced then press the numerals 0000 on the remote.
You will see a box with CE DIMMING in the second or third column along (there are lots of boxes), scroll (you cannot jump to it) to it then click ENTER (on the remote).
Then click on Standard or Movie then go left or right to select on or off.

Then power off the tv. When you start it up again, the picture settings will revert to default, so you'll need to record your settings before attempting this.

And there you have it, no auto-dimming. Beware messing around in the service menu though; unless you know what you're doing just jump in and out following the instructions above.

Hope that helps.
post #46 of 180
thanks for the info. I will have to try this out later. but as you have mentioned , I have not really noticed the dimming issue. my backlight is set low.
post #47 of 180
Hey guys great forum, I have a un55b6000 and have been using the cnet cal. from this thread, I was curious if anyone used native under color space instead of auto. I think it adds more depth in color, although I'm not sure if it's better since colors do seem to be brighter. Maybe someone with a better trained eye can tell me if its look better, I find I adapt quickly to any setting, and just can't tell whats more natural. Plus I just noticed there is another post on the cnet cal forums specifically for the 6000. I will try these when I get home, since I think the one I'm using is for the 7000. Thanks
post #48 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense11 View Post

Hey guys great forum, I have a un55b6000 and have been using the cnet cal. from this thread, I was curious if anyone used native under color space instead of auto. I think it adds more depth in color, although I'm not sure if it's better since colors do seem to be brighter. Maybe someone with a better trained eye can tell me if its look better, I find I adapt quickly to any setting, and just can't tell whats more natural. Plus I just noticed there is another post on the cnet cal forums specifically for the 6000. I will try these when I get home, since I think the one I'm using is for the 7000. Thanks

yup, I noticed the same thing. The Native option does add more depth than auto but all the professional calibration settings I've seen recommend Auto. So I've currently left it at Auto, but increased the Color (under the main Picture settings) from 49 to something like 57 and I feel that adds more color to the picture as well. I've also left Gamma at 0 since I find +3 Gamma just washes out the picture a lot. The rest of my settings mirror CNET's settings for their 6000 review.
post #49 of 180
Wow...isn't anyone going to bring up why 98 for contrast? isn't that a little extremely high since they say that will prematurely burn out your panel. I also have 46B6000, stupendous PQ I must add.
post #50 of 180
Anyone here have flashlighting or clouding on their sets? if so what can be done to reduce it as far as using the settings?
post #51 of 180
I just set up my tv un55b6000 to the cnet settings for the 6000, i was using 7000 settings before, and the 98 on the contrast is too high for me as well as the +3 gamma. I went with 5 on backlight, 55 on color, 90 on contrast and +1 on gamma, and so far the evening news looks great. I also did a lot of comparison on native and auto on color space and native adds a lot more color but it's not natural, greens started to turn bluish. So far I'm very happy with the PQ and 2 weeks with the set and I have not noticed any of the flash lighting or clouding, the only complaint that I noticed is the corners being slightly darker on bright scenes, but I'm assuming that is normal for this type of set.
post #52 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post

Anyone here have flashlighting or clouding on their sets? if so what can be done to reduce it as far as using the settings?


turn down your backlight setting to like 2 or 3 or even lower if you set looks good and you dont get any black crush.
post #53 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense11 View Post

Hey guys great forum, I have a un55b6000 and have been using the cnet cal. from this thread, I was curious if anyone used native under color space instead of auto. I think it adds more depth in color, although I'm not sure if it's better since colors do seem to be brighter. Maybe someone with a better trained eye can tell me if its look better, I find I adapt quickly to any setting, and just can't tell whats more natural. Plus I just noticed there is another post on the cnet cal forums specifically for the 6000. I will try these when I get home, since I think the one I'm using is for the 7000. Thanks


I to think Native looks good but I use warm2 more often. you hit the nail on the head. you will adapt to the color change after awhile. also any color changes you make in 1 area can be tuned out in the other color areas so you have to make changes slow and then watch between them. I would also suspect there is alittle difference between sets so some of this may look slightly different and then backlight and contrast will also change the look of your colors. but just make small changes and watch for awhile until you get the look you like. remember different feeds also have different looks so dont try to setup the look on one channel and expect it to be perfect on all. I would setup your favorite channel and live with the other changes.
post #54 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense11 View Post

I just set up my tv un55b6000 to the cnet settings for the 6000, i was using 7000 settings before, and the 98 on the contrast is too high for me as well as the +3 gamma. I went with 5 on backlight, 55 on color, 90 on contrast and +1 on gamma, and so far the evening news looks great. I also did a lot of comparison on native and auto on color space and native adds a lot more color but it's not natural, greens started to turn bluish. So far I'm very happy with the PQ and 2 weeks with the set and I have not noticed any of the flash lighting or clouding, the only complaint that I noticed is the corners being slightly darker on bright scenes, but I'm assuming that is normal for this type of set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Exposure View Post

I to think Native looks good but I use warm2 more often. you hit the nail on the head. you will adapt to the color change after awhile. also any color changes you make in 1 area can be tuned out in the other color areas so you have to make changes slow and then watch between them. I would also suspect there is alittle difference between sets so some of this may look slightly different and then backlight and contrast will also change the look of your colors. but just make small changes and watch for awhile until you get the look you like. remember different feeds also have different looks so dont try to setup the look on one channel and expect it to be perfect on all. I would setup your favorite channel and live with the other changes.

I've tryed out Native and watched Pirates of the Caribbean 1 (HD) with it, at first it looks good, but...
The reds are to much and the greens are crazy, there a few dark/greyish scenes without a lot of color and the captain of the black pearl has green apple... that apple looks like plutonium
So it's back to Auto for me, custom could be great with calibration i guess...
post #55 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-mo View Post

I've tryed out Native and watched Pirates of the Caribbean 1 (HD) with it, at first it looks good, but...
The reds are to much and the greens are crazy, there a few dark/greyish scenes without a lot of color and the captain of the black pearl has green apple... that apple looks like plutonium
So it's back to Auto for me, custom could be great with calibration i guess...

I guess I shoud have mentioned this , I only use native mode in the standard settings with HD /SD Directv viewing. never with bluray. the movie mode with the warm2 setting or natural seem more life like. I glad your playing with your settings because you will find a better picture than what came out of the box if you have time to watch and adjust a few of these. I did post some of my changes you can try but each viewing conditions IE. light source , input source and channel will effect your tweaking. hands down this the best LCD I have seen yet.
post #56 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-mo View Post

I've tryed out Native and watched Pirates of the Caribbean 1 (HD) with it, at first it looks good, but...
The reds are to much and the greens are crazy, there a few dark/greyish scenes without a lot of color and the captain of the black pearl has green apple... that apple looks like plutonium
So it's back to Auto for me, custom could be great with calibration i guess...

I couldn't agree more, native adds way to much color, I was watching some baseball last night while switching from auto to native, the field went from a pale natural green to a this outrageous bluish bright green that was overpowering its surroundings. I do think more color is needed on auto though so I raised color to 58 and so far it only seems to much when I watch stuff like nfl network or espn news with there insanely colorful and bright sets. This brings me to another aspect of PQ, I watch a lot of sports, and with my current setting in (movie mode) sports look good, but in native or even standard it looks better to me, but has a slightl artificial feel. Has anyone calibrated for sports, or am I just crazy thinking I need different setting for sports?
post #57 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense11 View Post

I couldn't agree more, native adds way to much color, I was watching some baseball last night while switching from auto to native, the field went from a pale natural green to a this outrageous bluish bright green that was overpowering its surroundings. I do think more color is needed on auto though so I raised color to 58 and so far it only seems to much when I watch stuff like nfl network or espn news with there insanely colorful and bright sets. This brings me to another aspect of PQ, I watch a lot of sports, and with my current setting in (movie mode) sports look good, but in native or even standard it looks better to me, but has a slightl artificial feel. Has anyone calibrated for sports, or am I just crazy thinking I need different setting for sports?


As I said earlier in the thread I use "movie" for movies, sitcom, and shows (all HD).
For sports and outdoor nature type shows I jumped between "Natural" and "standard" not sure which one I like best. "Movie" mode just isn't right for this HD content.

I'm away on business when I get home I'll post my settings on each mode if anyone cares. (The settings are different for each mode)
post #58 of 180
Can someone post calibrations for High Backlight settings?

I really like the bright picture and vibrant colors. I have many windows and I just can't stand the dim brightness when I set my backlight low.

Can anyone help me out? I'm not a calibration wiz. Thanks guys
post #59 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle6279 View Post

Can someone post calibrations for High Backlight settings?

I really like the bright picture and vibrant colors. I have many windows and I just can't stand the dim brightness when I set my backlight low.

Can anyone help me out? I'm not a calibration wiz. Thanks guys

have you gone thru the standard picture options . some of those are bright already. otherwise leave your backlight at 6-7, and turn of the power saving feature. also you may set the gamma at like +4 and see what you think.
post #60 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense11 View Post

I couldn't agree more, native adds way to much color, I was watching some baseball last night while switching from auto to native, the field went from a pale natural green to a this outrageous bluish bright green that was overpowering its surroundings. I do think more color is needed on auto though so I raised color to 58 and so far it only seems to much when I watch stuff like nfl network or espn news with there insanely colorful and bright sets. This brings me to another aspect of PQ, I watch a lot of sports, and with my current setting in (movie mode) sports look good, but in native or even standard it looks better to me, but has a slightl artificial feel. Has anyone calibrated for sports, or am I just crazy thinking I need different setting for sports?

my grass isnt blue green but then again i did adjust the other setting as well to get the look I wanted. I think you will need to make some other adjustments even when selecting the color mode.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung UNxxB6000, UNxxB7000 Settings/Calibration Thread