or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 53

post #1561 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WJW has petitioned the FCC to relocate from channel 8 back to channel 31. The actual paperwork has not yet appeared on the FCC site, but you can see the proposed facility on the RabbitEars TV Query which pulls straight out of the FCC database:

http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?r...s&facid=189156

- Trip

That would be nice if they moved back to UHF 31.
post #1562 of 3983
I had a thought. I drive past the WJW tower on the corner of Pleasant Valley and State every day. It is dangerously close to homes and businesses unlike the rest of the towers here in Parma. I wonder if they could move their transmitter site to Richfield (the highest point in all of northern Ohio and more centrally located in the DMA). Too bad this was not considered before they constructed that new tower several years ago.
post #1563 of 3983
Should help people with smaller inside antennas, I had perfect reception on RF-31 but it only decodes 80-90% of the time on RF-8... I imagine RF-31 will also work better when they start transmitting mDTV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

That would be nice if they moved back to UHF 31.
post #1564 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

Should help people with smaller inside antennas, I had perfect reception on RF-31 but it only decodes 80-90% of the time on RF-8... I imagine RF-31 will also work better when they start transmitting mDTV...

What is "mDTV"?
post #1565 of 3983
post #1566 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=atscmh

- Trip

According to the list, no Cleveland or Northeast Ohio mDTV stations planned. I want my mDTV!
post #1567 of 3983
Scripps is pushing it pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on WEWS sooner rather than later.

- Trip
post #1568 of 3983
Hey Trip, on your mDTV list there are several channels carrying cable channels (FOX News and FOX Business on Washington DC's FOX 5 for example). Are these subchannels available in the clear or encrypted for a terrestrial wireless cable service?
post #1569 of 3983
They're encrypted.

- Trip
post #1570 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

They're encrypted.

- Trip

If you were to scan a channel carrying these encrypted subchannels would the PSIP data still show up or are they totally invisible to CECB's and built-in tuners?
post #1571 of 3983
You only see Mobile DTV streams on Mobile DTV devices. I don't know if you'd see the encrypted streams or not on actual devices, but the software I've been using does display them.

- Trip
post #1572 of 3983
So the 5.2 & 5.3 FOX News and FOX Business subchannels in DC are for these new mobile systems and not a wireless cable feed of these channels?
post #1573 of 3983
Correct.

- Trip
post #1574 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

I had a thought. I drive past the WJW tower on the corner of Pleasant Valley and State every day. It is dangerously close to homes and businesses unlike the rest of the towers here in Parma. I wonder if they could move their transmitter site to Richfield (the highest point in all of northern Ohio and more centrally located in the DMA). Too bad this was not considered before they constructed that new tower several years ago.

Would offer greater coverage area, and boost reception in Akron and Canton considerably, but Cleveland (as well as some suburbs east and west of it) in the Lake Erie bowl would be shadowed even worse than the already are.
post #1575 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

Would offer greater coverage area, and boost reception in Akron and Canton considerably, but Cleveland (as well as some suburbs east and west of it) in the Lake Erie bowl would be shadowed even worse than the already are.

Not really. My proposal places the tower on the peak of the terrain that causes the shadow. Richfield is the highest point in Northern Ohio, it's elevation gives Summit County it's name. I'm surprised nobody has considered it before (well I have a hunch it's because at the time TV was getting started in the 40's & 50's Richfield was way out in the country). The only area that may suffer is the extreme northeast region of the DMA (Ashtabula County). They should be in the Erie or Youngstown DMA anyway as they are closer to both of those cities than they are to Cleveland.
post #1576 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Not really. My proposal places the tower on the peak of the terrain that causes the shadow. Richfield is the highest point in Northern Ohio, it's elevation gives Summit County it's name. I'm surprised nobody has considered it before (well I have a hunch it's because at the time TV was getting started in the 40's & 50's Richfield was way out in the country). The only area that may suffer is the extreme northeast region of the DMA (Ashtabula County). They should be in the Erie or Youngstown DMA anyway as they are closer to both of those cities than they are to Cleveland.

Michael, the highest point in northern Ohio is not in Summit County. It is named Summit County because it is the highest point along the Ohio and Erie Canal and also because it is on the continental divide. The following was posted in THIS thread:

"Highest point in the state is Campbell Hill, Bellefontaine, 1549 feet, highest in Summit is the big ham radio tower at the house across from the Girl Scout Camp Hilaka, 1326 feet, highest in Medina is at the end of King Road, 1320 feet, just above St. Bernard golf course, highest in Cuyahoga is Broadview Heights, 1280 feet."

The following was posted in the same thread:

"A mile or so northeast of the Paris of Ohio, Paris Township, 1360 feet, is the highest point in Stark, Portage's is 1220 feet, in the northwest corner."

There is a spot near State Route 9 and Stewart Road just south of Salem that is 1380' above sea level. The highest elevation in Columbiana County is 1447' in Madison Township. Columbiana County is in northern Ohio.
post #1577 of 3983
WRLM-DT has added 47-3...
they're running an old B/W Petticoat Junction at this time...
program schedule here
post #1578 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

Michael, the highest point in northern Ohio is not in Summit County. It is named Summit County because it is the highest point along the Ohio and Erie Canal and also because it is on the continental divide. The following was posted in THIS thread:

"Highest point in the state is Campbell Hill, Bellefontaine, 1549 feet, highest in Summit is the big ham radio tower at the house across from the Girl Scout Camp Hilaka, 1326 feet, highest in Medina is at the end of King Road, 1320 feet, just above St. Bernard golf course, highest in Cuyahoga is Broadview Heights, 1280 feet."

The following was posted in the same thread:

"A mile or so northeast of the Paris of Ohio, Paris Township, 1360 feet, is the highest point in Stark, Portage's is 1220 feet, in the northwest corner."

There is a spot near State Route 9 and Stewart Road just south of Salem that is 1380' above sea level. The highest elevation in Columbiana County is 1447' in Madison Township. Columbiana County is in northern Ohio.

Columbiana County is in eastern Ohio, but it's a good 50 miles + south of Lake Erie (and that's just to the northernmost part of the county the town of Columbiana), so it's not "northern", and it's not in the Cleveland DMA (however it's in a great spot to receive OTA from 4, count'em 4 DMA's!!!) I have family who live there and besides Youngstown, they also get Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Wheeling/Steubenville stations.

Richfield is a good 200' higher than the Parma farm and more centrally located to the DMA. There would be few, if any 'shadows' from this vantage point. In fact the reason the Akron stations had lousy reception in Cuyahoga and Lake counties is due to the shadow cast by the Richfield summit. Placing the towers on the summit would fix that issue, allowing a clear view in nearly every direction.
post #1579 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Columbiana County is in eastern Ohio, but it's a good 50 miles + south of Lake Erie (and that's just to the northernmost part of the county the town of Columbiana), so it's not "northern", and it's not in the Cleveland DMA (however it's in a great spot to receive OTA from 4, count'em 4 DMA's!!!) I have family who live there and besides Youngstown, they also get Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Wheeling/Steubenville stations.

Richfield is a good 200' higher than the Parma farm and more centrally located to the DMA. There would be few, if any 'shadows' from this vantage point. In fact the reason the Akron stations had lousy reception in Cuyahoga and Lake counties is due to the shadow cast by the Richfield summit. Placing the towers on the summit would fix that issue, allowing a clear view in nearly every direction.

Yes, Columbiana County is in eastern Ohio; however, it is also entirely in northern Ohio. If we extend your convoluted logic, Cleveland isn't in northern Ohio; it's in northeastern Ohio. The point is that your assertion that Richfield is the highest point in northern Ohio is ridiculous on its face. And you're just attempting to confuse the issue by bringing up DMAs, distance from Lake Erie and other irrelevancies. Paris, Ohio, which is in Stark County, is in the Cleveland DMA. There is a point just northeast of Paris that has an elevation of 1360', clearly higher than Richfield. Is Stark county only in eastern Ohio and not in northern Ohio? Tell me, where does northern Ohio stop and eastern Ohio begin? If you were interested in asserting your point accurately, you should have stated that Richfield is one of the highest points in the Akron/Cleveland area.

BTW, Columbiana is not the northernmost community in Columbiana County. Part of Salem is located in a notch that extends north of the rest of Columbiana County. If you want to, check a map, and you'll see it clearly.
post #1580 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Not really. My proposal places the tower on the peak of the terrain that causes the shadow.

Is this worded correctly? A peak near Richfield shadows Cleveland from a transmission out of Parma?
post #1581 of 3983
Gee, how did we all get into this huge discussion about elevation? By the way the highest point in Geauga County, which is where I live, is Sugarloaf hill in the southeast part of the county at 1396' :P
WD8KCT-When did you noticed 47.3 popping up? I'll have to check it out sometime. I wonder if it will be TCT's infomercial channel They seem to be making a push as of late to sell more skin creams and health related items on the weekends. I would venture to say that donations are way down because the economy went in the dumper.
post #1582 of 3983
47-3 lit up a day or two back... several older sitcoms on the schedule... Bonanza, Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies, Ozzie and Harriet, My Little Margie, I Married Joan, Petticoat Junction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8MO View Post
WD8KCT-When did you noticed 47.3 popping up? I'll have to check it out sometime.
post #1583 of 3983
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

47-3 lit up a day or two back... several older sitcoms on the schedule... Bonanza, Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies, Ozzie and Harriet, My Little Margie, I Married Joan, Petticoat Junction...

It must have been turned on sometime since evening of 1/26 as it was not there when I was helping a friend with an OTA channel scan at that time.

Has anyone learned anything further about the WIVM switch to digital? They still say "January" on their Facebook page....we're almost done with January.
post #1584 of 3983
WIVM hasn't mentioned when it's going to flip the switch on its Facebook page. I'm guessing that it's contractor is behind schedule on the transmitter work due to the weather.
post #1585 of 3983
47.3's schedule looks to be an odd mix of children's shows and classic TV.
post #1586 of 3983
Wikipedia on the new TCT subchannel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Sta...ian_Television

Quote:


The network also provides a secondary feed, "TCT-SD3" (channel x.3 usually branded through PSIP as TCT-SD2) that, in addition to reruns of TCT programming, airs older public domain sitcoms and cartoons (such as TCT Kids programming).
post #1587 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

I wonder if they could move their transmitter site to Richfield (the highest point in all of northern Ohio and more centrally located in the DMA). Too bad this was not considered before they constructed that new tower several years ago.

How do you know that previous owner News Corporation didn't consider it. It's not like their the government and can take over a site by eminent domain.
post #1588 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

Would offer greater coverage area, and boost reception in Akron and Canton considerably, but Cleveland (as well as some suburbs east and west of it) in the Lake Erie bowl would be shadowed even worse than the already are.

Eh... we don't matter up here
post #1589 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Not really. My proposal places the tower on the peak of the terrain that causes the shadow. Richfield is the highest point in Northern Ohio, it's elevation gives Summit County it's name. I'm surprised nobody has considered it before (well I have a hunch it's because at the time TV was getting started in the 40's & 50's Richfield was way out in the country). The only area that may suffer is the extreme northeast region of the DMA (Ashtabula County). They should be in the Erie or Youngstown DMA anyway as they are closer to both of those cities than they are to Cleveland.

This would put the signal coming in north at a lower angle though or would the height make up the difference?

We only get one DMA up here, surprisingly Ashtabula has difficulties with the Erie DMA too... I have no obstructions toward Erie yet cannot get them even with a rotor....occasionally get 22.1 (Fox 66) the ridge shadows Youngstown DMA except for the southern 2/3's or 3/4ths of Ashtabula County .
post #1590 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

This would put the signal coming in north at a lower angle though or would the height make up the difference?

We only get one DMA up here, surprisingly Ashtabula has difficulties with the Erie DMA too... I have no obstructions toward Erie yet cannot get them even with a rotor....occasionally get 22.1 (Fox 66) the ridge shadows Youngstown DMA except for the southern 2/3's or 3/4ths of Ashtabula County .

I'm surprised to hear that you have a hard time getting any of the Erie stations. I'm located in central Geauga County, and I can get RF-22 (WFXP) and RF-24 (WJET) most of the time. I'm not exactly on top of a hill either. WSEE is usually a lost cause with their dinky signal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV