or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 100

post #2971 of 3983
Well after some research, I believed my Winegard pre-amp was overloading. I Reinstalled it the same way I originally did. Still no signal. So i went on the roof and turned the antenna true north, BAM! I have a better signal! Now channel 3 is at a steady 7 out of 10 and I am able to pick up PBS 25 now. PBS has a very low signal, but I am still getting it. Now I am wondering If I raise the antenna another 5ft and make the mast 10ft on the 3ft tripod if I would get a better signal. I know I have the tripod mounts are in the rafters, Im just not sure if that would be pushing it with no Guy wires.
post #2972 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonHarris View Post

I bought a Winegard ANW18700. I installed it today, and lost a bunch of channels. I put the pre-amp about 6" below the antenna, ran 50' of coax down to a 2.4GHz Dual Ground Block. from there it goes into the living room were I installed the power supply and the connection. After there I hooked up a 2-way splitter (5 MHz to 2.4 GHZ). From the splitter there is a 8' coax going into the living room TV and a 30' coax going back outside and into our bedroom TV. I looked online and and problem solved, went on to Winegards website. No luck. I Had to go back on the roof and unhook everything so I could watch TV. Hopefully Someone will have a solution.
Thanks everyone you have been very helpful!

This was always how I used to install the preamps, all the splitting was done after the PS & amp (installed @ the antenna).. It makes logical sense to me. So this is wrong?
post #2973 of 3983
So I am surmizing that if one channel out of maybe 40 channels is too strong the pre-amp goes black for everything? That would mean paddding the front end down too keep the pre-amp from overloading. Or is the tv overloading and not the pre-amp? In that case the tv would have to be padded down due to the increased output of the pre-amp.
JJK
Edited by JJkizak - 8/7/12 at 11:13am
post #2974 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

So I am surmizing that if one channel out of maybe 40 channels is too strong the pre-amp goes black for everything?
40 channels? The preamp doesn't know a TV station from a FM station from a Ham station... there's a whole constellation of wide and narrow band signals hitting the preamp, any of which could be creating the bit errors that prevent the channel from decoding... by turning the antenna he may have reduced the level of the overloading signal, if that is the problem... -Ed
post #2975 of 3983
It would be nice to know exactly what is happening here technically . I would hate to rotate the antenna away from the strongest signals to get the thing to work properly.
JJK
post #2976 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

It would be nice to know exactly what is happening here technically . I would hate to rotate the antenna away from the strongest signals to get the thing to work properly.
JJK
RF Spectrum Analyzer...
...
Anyone notice that TV-5's second audio channel doesn't always follow on-air video?
post #2977 of 3983
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

It would be nice to know exactly what is happening here technically . I would hate to rotate the antenna away from the strongest signals to get the thing to work properly.
JJK

He may also have a problem with reflected signals in certain directions.....these can be seen as "ghosts" in the old analog TV system...but can do even worse things to a digital signal.
post #2978 of 3983
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Yes, I'm referring to an FTA C-band satellite dish... you know the big ugly dishes you may see. You buy the dish, receiver, LNB, and coaxial cable, and you're set. A 6' diameter dish is the minimum to begin receiving C-band channels that are unencrypted. The CBC has had a few unencrypted channels for about a year now.
Here's a picture of the type of dish I'm referring to...

Sorry, I neglected to thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I really don't have space for a 6' dish in the back yard and if they're going away like Trip indicated....frown.gif
post #2979 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

He may also have a problem with reflected signals in certain directions.....these can be seen as "ghosts" in the old analog TV system...but can do even worse things to a digital signal.

I am very new to this. With out the pre-amp, I was getting perfect signal with my TV in our bedroom and it has roughly a 100' run of rg6 coax, the living room TV has about 60' run wouldn't pick up channel 3 or the 25.1,2,3,4 PBS. I am really not sure what it is. Could it be the Tuner in the living room TV? After I hooked up the pre-amp and turned the antenna way from the signals, the Living Room TV finally picks up the channels I was able to get in the Bed Room. But the signals in the Living Room are still weak, and still lose PBS often. The Bed Room TV still has a Very good Signal.
Edited by JeffersonHarris - 8/9/12 at 6:41pm
post #2980 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

It would be nice to know exactly what is happening here technically . I would hate to rotate the antenna away from the strongest signals to get the thing to work properly.
JJK

Any suggestions would help greatly!
post #2981 of 3983
Anyone know what is going on with channel 8? At times my signal strength is 100% and other times I get no signal. For instance, today, during the storms, I am getting 100% signal when I would expect interference.
post #2982 of 3983
Your location is important. I have no trouble at all.
JJK
post #2983 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonHarris View Post

Could it be the Tuner in the living room TV? After I hooked up the pre-amp and turned the antenna way from the signals, the Living Room TV finally picks up the channels I was able to get in the Bed Room. But the signals in the Living Room are still weak, and still lose PBS often. The Bed Room TV still has a Very good Signal.

I think you'll find that newer TVs with later chipset versions perform better at decoding DTV... You might compare reception at the same point on the 60' leg from the 1x2 splitter...
post #2984 of 3983
Not really as of late WOIO/WUAB have been airing SOME syndicated shows in HD but they might have them all aired in HD in the fall.
post #2985 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonHarris View Post

I am very new to this. With out the pre-amp, I was getting perfect signal with my TV in our bedroom and it has roughly a 100' run of rg6 coax, the living room TV has about 60' run wouldn't pick up channel 3 or the 25.1,2,3,4 PBS. I am really not sure what it is. Could it be the Tuner in the living room TV? After I hooked up the pre-amp and turned the antenna way from the signals, the Living Room TV finally picks up the channels I was able to get in the Bed Room. But the signals in the Living Room are still weak, and still lose PBS often. The Bed Room TV still has a Very good Signal.

Those are some really odd results. I can't say I know for sure what could be causing that. Are you using RG6 coaxial everywhere? Did you try different settings with the pre-amp? On mine, I have the FM trap set to ON, the signal gain set to maximum and the signal booster set to OFF. Over the weekend, I installed a higher quality coaxial. For a couple years, I had the cheap budget store coaxial, and after replacing it, I am now getting WQHS and a slightly better signal on everything else.
post #2986 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dptaylor73 View Post

Anyone know what is going on with channel 8? At times my signal strength is 100% and other times I get no signal. For instance, today, during the storms, I am getting 100% signal when I would expect interference.

8 & especially 19 are like that for me too. Though I can get nearly a full signal on 8 (90%) I never can get 19 much past the 60% mark.

AVS must be adding more Flash content now ... very slow response & vety unstable & shaky posting today.
post #2987 of 3983
The advertizing makes the forum crawl when first opening it.
JJK
post #2988 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

8 & especially 19 are like that for me too. Though I can get nearly a full signal on 8 (90%) I never can get 19 much past the 60% mark.
AVS must be adding more Flash content now ... very slow response & vety unstable & shaky posting today.

This may sound contradictory to what a lot of people are saying about the high VHF channels like WJW and WOIO, but I think that the high VHF channels are great for transmitting longer distances and in hilly terrain compared with UHF. As long as you have a good antenna, I haven't had any problems. Could it just be that some people may be having interference issues in urban areas?

I was in Canada last week experimenting with the HBU33, and I could receive CJOH channel 13 at a distance of 70 miles 24/7, and that's only 19 kW. I could also receive WWNY channel 7 at a distance of 70 miles 24/7, but I couldn't receive ANY UHF channels from the same cities.
post #2989 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

This may sound contradictory to what a lot of people are saying about the high VHF channels like WJW and WOIO, but I think that the high VHF channels are great for transmitting longer distances and in hilly terrain compared with UHF. As long as you have a good antenna, I haven't had any problems. Could it just be that some people may be having interference issues in urban areas?
I was in Canada last week experimenting with the HBU33, and I could receive CJOH channel 13 at a distance of 70 miles 24/7, and that's only 19 kW. I could also receive WWNY channel 7 at a distance of 70 miles 24/7, but I couldn't receive ANY UHF channels from the same cities.
It's not so much the hilly terrain that stops UHF - it's the leaves on the trees. UHF reception may improve for some distant viewers in the winter when the leaves are off the trees. Higher powered transmitters help UHF to overcome the leaves attenuation issue, but DT transmitters use lower power than their analog counterparts.
post #2990 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

It's not so much the hilly terrain that stops UHF - it's the leaves on the trees. UHF reception may improve for some distant viewers in the winter when the leaves are off the trees. Higher powered transmitters help UHF to overcome the leaves attenuation issue, but DT transmitters use lower power than their analog counterparts.

Perhaps the leaves do have an impact on UHF. I've never really considered that. But I have my roof antenna pointed directly at a tall maple tree, and I haven't noticed any difference between winter and fall. I used to live in an apartment in the middle of a highly wooded area... didn't notice any difference between seasons. Either that, or the difference wasn't noticeable enough for me. But either way, isn't high VHF the best for transmitting longer distances? It uses less power than UHF to broadcast the same distance. I know a lot of complaints about WOIO stem from the fact that their power is just way to low anyways. WJW seems to have an ideal power level, which I'm sure covers some of the fringe areas better than UHF. But then again, you have to have a good outdoor antenna too.
post #2991 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

This may sound contradictory to what a lot of people are saying about the high VHF channels like WJW and WOIO, but I think that the high VHF channels are great for transmitting longer distances and in hilly terrain compared with UHF. As long as you have a good antenna, I haven't had any problems. Could it just be that some people may be having interference issues in urban areas?

So why are you AKC folks griping about WJW? I just note a lot of signal fluxuation on a day to day basis at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

It's not so much the hilly terrain that stops UHF - it's the leaves on the trees. UHF reception may improve for some distant viewers in the winter when the leaves are off the trees. Higher powered transmitters help UHF to overcome the leaves attenuation issue, but DT transmitters use lower power than their analog counterparts.

I'd have to watch 17 in my area as thats my nominal signal that is a pass or fail on a day to day basis. I can't put my finger on if it comes in better in the winter or summer, though I am around an abundance of trees.

One thing I noticed upon moving up to Lake County, in the analog years, the UHF signals slowly eroded over time... perhaps as the trees became larger?
post #2992 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

So why are you AKC folks griping about WJW? I just note a lot of signal fluxuation on a day to day basis at times.

I have no gripes about WJW or even WOIO's channel 10. I get both with no problem, and now I have WOIO on channel 24 that I can get with a paper clip. I just noticed a lot of complaints about how bad their signals were, and I could never understand why. I know WOIO's power is low, but what's the problem with WJW?? It seems like being on high VHF would be an advantage.
post #2993 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I have no gripes about WJW or even WOIO's channel 10. I get both with no problem, and now I have WOIO on channel 24 that I can get with a paper clip. I just noticed a lot of complaints about how bad their signals were, and I could never understand why. I know WOIO's power is low, but what's the problem with WJW?? It seems like being on high VHF would be an advantage.

More issues here with WOIO & likely occasional intereference from CFPL.

My problem with WJW was on my end, likely a shorted element I repaired on my attic antenna. I really don't want WOIO's 24 repeater stored in my memory, though now I'm thinking that may be why I can no longer get WJET.
post #2994 of 3983
Our new Franken-FM at 87.7 is now stunting, check it out! Playing a loop with a snippet of every Billboard Hot 100 song, in order, from 1955 thru 1992! So they must be planning to be officially on the air soon! Their video on analog channel 6 is showing a screensaver that has a moving square with the letters WD in it.
post #2995 of 3983
Here's a clip I made what Channel 6/87.7 FM was showing and playing at 3am this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJZ8hHNo1pk
post #2996 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykewl View Post

Our new Franken-FM at 87.7 is now stunting, check it out! Playing a loop with a snippet of every Billboard Hot 100 song, in order, from 1955 thru 1992! So they must be planning to be officially on the air soon! Their video on analog channel 6 is showing a screensaver that has a moving square with the letters WD in it.

Western Digital Logo Screen Saver.

Must be doing overnight tests.... caught a bit of this around 5am.
post #2997 of 3983
We have one of those Western Digital digital video drives here at work. That "WD" floating logo meant the player went to sleep. Has anyone seen a picture slide or two since the change in music? There should be a legal ID for WLFM-LP on the screen
post #2998 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Those are some really odd results. I can't say I know for sure what could be causing that. Are you using RG6 coaxial everywhere? Did you try different settings with the pre-amp? On mine, I have the FM trap set to ON, the signal gain set to maximum and the signal booster set to OFF. Over the weekend, I installed a higher quality coaxial. For a couple years, I had the cheap budget store coaxial, and after replacing it, I am now getting WQHS and a slightly better signal on everything else.


I am using using RG6 everywhere. The only setting I think there is on my pre-amp is just the FM trap, and it is turned ON. Knock on wood (knock, knock), Here recently the TV in the living room has a stronger signal. But I still don't like the fact that the Antenna on my roof has to be pointed away from the towers, and I would still like the get Retro TV. I get it at nights sometimes but it is very snowy. I may invest in a Rotor soon.
post #2999 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

We have one of those Western Digital digital video drives here at work. That "WD" floating logo meant the player went to sleep. Has anyone seen a picture slide or two since the change in music? There should be a legal ID for WLFM-LP on the screen

At times the Logo is blue & other times logo is grey, not sure perhaps I'm losing color on my reception, & I can't check Danny's You Toob video.

I can't remember to check 87.7 in the car, I spend very little time in the car & either it's 92.3 or a CD, I find very little value in todays pop music.
post #3000 of 3983
Hey all, I've been following this thread for quite awhile (since 55.2 first appeared) and decided to finally sign up.

Did WRLM/47 boost it's power within the last month or so? I live about 14 miles north of thier transmitter and could never receive WRLM unless I stood in a certain spot on my deck with my coathanger antenna. Now I can receive WRLM just about anywhere in my house, even when my coathanger antenna is laying flat on my bed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV