or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 110

post #3271 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

I would remove the UHF/SAT splitter and replace it with a coax coupler that has a grounding screw on it.

I'll give that a shot, thanks Snowdog. At this point I'm seriously considering getting a different antenna. It works great for my brother, but I don't know. It doesn't seem to have the same benefits for me. I'm looking at the units suggested by ProjectSHO89 any other thoughts?
post #3272 of 3985
The RCA ANT751R seems like it's has some good reviews on Amazon (4.5/5 stars out of 735 reviews). If you look on page 2, someone in the Cleveland area wrote a review on it, claiming that he receives problem channels 8 & 19 from 25 miles away. That's not bad considering how small and simple the antenna is. If your satellite mast is still on your house, you can use that to mount this antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751R-Outdoor-Optimized-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C
post #3273 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

The RCA ANT751R seems like it's has some good reviews on Amazon (4.5/5 stars out of 735 reviews). If you look on page 2, someone in the Cleveland area wrote a review on it, claiming that he receives problem channels 8 & 19 from 25 miles away. http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751R-Outdoor-Optimized-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C

Must live on the West or South side.

Looks like a UHF only Antenna.
post #3274 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

Yeah, I don't recommend those goofy looking antennas. My uncle bought one a few years ago for 20 dollars. The cable was hard wired to the unit and it was RG-59! .

What exactly is wrong with RG59? My house was & still is internally wired with it & yet I get pretty good reception.

I use the RG6 (or QS) lately it seemed to help when I worked on my dads house years back with UHF... but it doesn''t hold it's own with the elements & chemical spray.
post #3275 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

What exactly is wrong with RG59? My house was & still is internally wired with it & yet I get pretty good reception.

One is that it has slightly more signal loss per length than RG-6, but that does not manifest itself as a problem unless that loss causes the signal level tpo drop below an acceptable level. Another is that the smaller diameter center conductor has more DC resistance than the center conductors commonly found in RG-6, but generally, that is only a problem in applications in which the coax serves the dual purpose of carrying both the RF signal as well as powering of amplification devices, and a third concern is that some old RG-59 is only braid shielded, with no foil, and therefore more susceptible to ingress interference.

But if it works for you, and if otherwise replacing it with concealed coax is impractical, then you will probably decide to retain it and not suffer any adverse consequences.
post #3276 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Looks like a UHF only Antenna.
Look at the pictures carefully. You can see two rods traveling from the UHF bow tie to some longer elements in the rear. That is the Hi-VHF part of the antenna.
post #3277 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Don't forget that more and more people are using their WIFI to watch TV now. It's not just cable that's making OTA less and less popular. Cable is getting to be ridiculously expensive and being replaced by cheaper options like Netflix. I have a Roku box, and it looks like more and more channels are being added. I can watch local news in other cities, and I sometimes watch CBC News too. All I have to do is pay for the internet.

And so the Internet providers have decided to cap bandwidth...
Edited by wd8kct - 3/18/13 at 3:33pm
post #3278 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

And so the Internet providers have decided to cap bandwidth...

Ultimately, not even internet streaming TV can compete with OTA TV. When I turn on the TV, sometimes I don't want to bother waiting for the box to startup and flip through the menus to decide what to watch. OTA TV is much easier... just flip on the the power switch and start channel surfing, and there's no internet fee or cable fee. The same applies to radio... you've got all kinds of internet radio, but it just doesn't compete with the portability and ease of using a simple radio.
post #3279 of 3985
Thread Starter 
Without internet radio there would be no radio in my house, other than occasional shortwave. There is virtually nothing on regular AM/FM that I want to hear. Everything today on commercial AM/FM radio seems to a constant barrage of pop/rock/country music and/or hate filled political tirades. Internet radio, on the other hand, offers a huge variety of music of all kinds and excellent news coverage from all over the world. It may not be as "portable" as the simple radio mentioned but the quality is far superior. Also, listening to a wireless internet radio is really not that different from tuning a conventional radio. I have three of the Logitech Squeezebox Booms in various parts of my house and use them constantly. They are reliable and have excellent stereo audio.
post #3280 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

There is virtually nothing on regular AM/FM that I want to hear. Everything today on commercial AM/FM radio seems to a constant barrage of pop/rock/country music and/or hate filled political tirades.
I agree. There is no variety in music when it comes to AM/FM radio. Almost every station here sounds the same. WDOK was the only station left in Cleveland that played decent music, had a good morning show and longtime personalities. Of course, that all ended when management renamed the station to New 102 and made the station sound similar to 106.5 The Lake and sister station Q104. Not to mention their Facebook page being flooded with complaints after letting go of Trapper Jack, Jim McIntyre and Nancy Alden. I quit listening to WDOK after two months of New 102 as I couldn't take their crap music anymore. Moved the dial a few notches down and started listening to My 101.7 in Canton. I'm happy with most of the music they play, though their signal is very weak where I'm at.

My 101.7 is the station that I listen to regularly now. Once in a while I will pull out my portable HD radio and listen to WMJI HD-2. Other than that, there is nothing worth listening to on AM/FM radio.
post #3281 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Ultimately, not even internet streaming TV can compete with OTA TV. When I turn on the TV, sometimes I don't want to bother waiting for the box to startup and flip through the menus to decide what to watch. OTA TV is much easier... just flip on the the power switch and start channel surfing, and there's no internet fee or cable fee. The same applies to radio... you've got all kinds of internet radio, but it just doesn't compete with the portability and ease of using a simple radio.

Andrew, I didn't think you were that old confused.gif

Agree, I like to turn something on & have it work... not get a ''cannot find server error''.... or a monthly fee involved. ... then there is the internet advertising too.

As I recently was forced to upgrade to a DSL (lower speed - 3.0 mbps I think) I cannot use my main phone when my modem is on, therefore I leave it off when not online.

Of course I'm starting to miss an old car with points & a carb in it too. wink.gif


Edit... BOT - Bounce was not on this early AM, got a No Signal, though the guide showed movies on.
Edited by Bismarck440 - 3/19/13 at 7:44pm
post #3282 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

I agree. There is no variety in music when it comes to AM/FM radio. Almost every station here sounds the same. WDOK was the only station left in Cleveland that played decent music, had a good morning show and longtime personalities. Of course, that all ended when management renamed the station to New 102 and made the station sound similar to 106.5 The Lake and sister station Q104. Not to mention their Facebook page being flooded with complaints after letting go of Trapper Jack, Jim McIntyre and Nancy Alden. I quit listening to WDOK after two months of New 102 as I couldn't take their crap music anymore. Moved the dial a few notches down and started listening to My 101.7 in Canton. I'm happy with most of the music they play, though their signal is very weak where I'm at.

Are we speaking of 'soft favorites' 102? I had been finding the morning shows here rather 'sappy' myself, but not being up in the AM now is a plus!!

Hmmm no Good Rock 106.9 anymore? I find myself now listening to the Fan (though too much ''hero worship'' can warp ones brain, these athletes make enough already, so sad there are people that are very vocal about paying them more... makes me realize why I shyed away from following pro sports in the first place). 87.7 I cannot get on half of my radios (will not go down that far), the programming seems to be very focused on Mid '90's genere, not that that's all that bad.

Cleveland Radio all seems to be a Follow the leader senario, no dare to be different, even the old Z-Rock couldn't make it here. frown.gif

Speaking of Short Wave, Alex Jones has his own station around 5 Mhz. smile.gif
post #3283 of 3985
WQHS 61 is broadcasting in 1080i tonight. However, the picture is still a 4x3 image and looks like it is up-converted from 480.
post #3284 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Are we speaking of 'soft favorites' 102?
Soft Rock 102.1, although 'soft favorites' was the slogan or branding for WDOK when it switched to the soft AC format back in the late 80's.
post #3285 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Andrew, I didn't think you were that old confused.gif

Agree, I like to turn something on & have it work... not get a ''cannot find server error''.... or a monthly fee involved. ... then there is the internet advertising too.

As I recently was forced to upgrade to a DSL (lower speed - 3.0 mbps I think) I cannot use my main phone when my modem is on, therefore I leave it off when not online.

Of course I'm starting to miss an old car with points & a carb in it too. wink.gif


Edit... BOT - Bounce was not on this early AM, got a No Signal, though the guide showed movies on.

Why can't you use your "main" phone? I assume it's an AT&T landline on which you also have DSL? AT&T is supposed to supply you with special filters you put on every jack where you're using a landline phone, and you plug the phones into the filters. It's not like dial-up where you can only use one or the other, you should be able to talk'n'surf at the same time. That 3.0 mbps download speed should be at least 50X faster than dial-up. Now you can see the coverage maps, LOL.
post #3286 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

Moved the dial a few notches down and started listening to My 101.7 in Canton. I'm happy with most of the music they play, though their signal is very weak where I'm at.

My 101.7 is the station that I listen to regularly now. Once in a while I will pull out my portable HD radio and listen to WMJI HD-2. Other than that, there is nothing worth listening to on AM/FM radio.

Canton 101.7 HD2 has 70's & 80s oldies with few (if any) commercial breaks. Noticing a big difference between the analog and digital HD1 audio processing on some stations along with varying timing issues. WHOF 101.7 has a failure mode where the HD2 goes silent and the HD1 sounds like an AM radio.
post #3287 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

Without internet radio there would be no radio in my house, other than occasional shortwave. There is virtually nothing on regular AM/FM that I want to hear. ........ I have three of the Logitech Squeezebox Booms in various parts of my house and use them constantly. They are reliable and have excellent stereo audio.

Completely agree! Thousands of stations to choose from. I listen to almost exclusively high bit rate music stations from all over the world and completely commercial free.
Been in my home for 15 years and never bothered even connecting the AM/FM antenna to my stereo. Complete garbage locally filled commercials and rambling DJ's.

I'm also a SqueezeBox fan with four players throughout my home, one streams 24/7, sometimes Sync all four at the same time. Wonderful system.
post #3288 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Andrew, I didn't think you were that old confused.gif

Agree, I like to turn something on & have it work... not get a ''cannot find server error''.... or a monthly fee involved. ... then there is the internet advertising too.

As I recently was forced to upgrade to a DSL (lower speed - 3.0 mbps I think) I cannot use my main phone when my modem is on, therefore I leave it off when not online.

Of course I'm starting to miss an old car with points & a carb in it too. wink.gif


Edit... BOT - Bounce was not on this early AM, got a No Signal, though the guide showed movies on.

I still find a lot of programming to listen to on AM/FM. It just depends on what your interests are. I listen to a lot of different formats, so I always find something that interests me. I love talk radio like WHLO and WTAM. I listen to Air 1 and K-love a lot too. WAPS 91.3 is good, and it's commercial free. And there are a lot of HD commercial free stations too... like classical and folk on WKSU, and WAPS has 3 other HD channels. 106.5 has a good old soft rock station called Sunny 106.5. There's plenty to choose from!!
post #3289 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykewl View Post

Why can't you use your "main" phone? I assume it's an AT&T landline on which you also have DSL? AT&T is supposed to supply you with special filters you put on every jack where you're using a landline phone, and you plug the phones into the filters. It's not like dial-up where you can only use one or the other, you should be able to talk'n'surf at the same time. That 3.0 mbps download speed should be at least 50X faster than dial-up. Now you can see the coverage maps, LOL.

dannykewl, it's a ''repackaged' U-Verse from what I understand with the White/Grey 2 wire modem, not through AT&T but from a 3rd party. They did provide me with plenty of filters, however they could not supply me with a Wall Jack DSL filter for both my Kitchen phone & Workshop phone...... they would have but there was no longer a demand for these & they stopped ordering them. I guess the standard wall phone is a thing of the past.

I had AT&T years back, for dialup, they had exponentally increased my rate to nearly triple what I was initally paying in baby steps over the course of 14 months (& they weren't finished) , I finally said enough is enough.

Yes I can see some of these pictures & maps a bit better now, though It's not up to speed for streaming audio & video.... not that it bothers me a whole lot, I detest becoming internet dependent which is the way things are going. unfortunately.
Edited by Bismarck440 - 3/20/13 at 4:10pm
post #3290 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I still find a lot of programming to listen to on AM/FM. It just depends on what your interests are. I listen to a lot of different formats, so I always find something that interests me. I love talk radio like WHLO and WTAM. I listen to Air 1 and K-love a lot too. WAPS 91.3 is good, and it's commercial free. And there are a lot of HD commercial free stations too... like classical and folk on WKSU, and WAPS has 3 other HD channels. 106.5 has a good old soft rock station called Sunny 106.5. There's plenty to choose from!!

Out in the fringes the Cleveland college fare has a weaker signal, I noted there is quite a bit on the HD Radio, (Installed a car receiver for someone else, quite affordable too), though the manufactures of home receivers refuse to incorporate HD into their product (except on way high end), perhaps a payoff frrom XM/Sirrus? I really have no reason to replace my 30+ year old receiver otherwise.
post #3291 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Out in the fringes the Cleveland college fare has a weaker signal, I noted there is quite a bit on the HD Radio, (Installed a car receiver for someone else, quite affordable too), though the manufactures of home receivers refuse to incorporate HD into their product (except on way high end), perhaps a payoff frrom XM/Sirrus? I really have no reason to replace my 30+ year old receiver otherwise.
I remember looking at HD Radios at Best Buy sometime around 2006, and they had some nice shelf units. They were perfect for an office or a bedroom. They all seemed to have disappeared, except for some Insignia units that have poor reviews. Like you said, it's either a car radio or high end system. I wonder if the shelf units did a terrible job at receiving the HD signal where a high end unit generally requires you to attach an external/outdoor antenna for best reception. Even without HD radio, it seems impossible to buy a basic shelf or table radio anymore. Even if you do find one, they are usually those cheap crappy Chinese radios that only receive the strong stations and the sound quality is very terrible! And yes, I have a receiver that dates back to the 80's with a tuning knob and needle indicator. It does a good job picking up weak stations, and that's with a single piece of wire acting as the antenna!

Since December 2011, I've owned an Insignia portable HD radio. For being small, the unit seems to do a very good job receiving HD radio and your headphone cable acts as the antenna. I can listen to WMJI HD-2 in my car using a cassette adapter with the cable routed over the mirror and maybe have dropouts ~10% of the time, and that's being about 20 miles away from the Parma tower farm. I sometimes attach it to my home receiver and it sounds pretty good. The only thing it doesn't do, compared to other HD radios, is receive AM. Otherwise the radio would be twice as big in order to make room for the AM coil. Because of that, I currently don't know how AM HD radio sounds. I assume that you would have to be able to receive the station as strong as possible in order to keep the HD active. (No static, noise, or other interference in the analog AM broadcast.) I’m also told that the HD sound quality on AM is very compressed, much like streaming a radio station on a 56K modem. I guess the only thing you gain is improved frequency response and a stereo broadcast, not like you need it on talk stations.
post #3292 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

I remember looking at HD Radios at Best Buy sometime around 2006, and they had some nice shelf units. They were perfect for an office or a bedroom. They all seemed to have disappeared, except for some Insignia units that have poor reviews. Like you said, it's either a car radio or high end system. I wonder if the shelf units did a terrible job at receiving the HD signal where a high end unit generally requires you to attach an external/outdoor antenna for best reception. Even without HD radio, it seems impossible to buy a basic shelf or table radio anymore. Even if you do find one, they are usually those cheap crappy Chinese radios that only receive the strong stations and the sound quality is very terrible! And yes, I have a receiver that dates back to the 80's with a tuning knob and needle indicator. It does a good job picking up weak stations, and that's with a single piece of wire acting as the antenna!

Since December 2011, I've owned an Insignia portable HD radio. For being small, the unit seems to do a very good job receiving HD radio and your headphone cable acts as the antenna. I can listen to WMJI HD-2 in my car using a cassette adapter with the cable routed over the mirror and maybe have dropouts ~10% of the time, and that's being about 20 miles away from the Parma tower farm. I sometimes attach it to my home receiver and it sounds pretty good. The only thing it doesn't do, compared to other HD radios, is receive AM. Otherwise the radio would be twice as big in order to make room for the AM coil. Because of that, I currently don't know how AM HD radio sounds. I assume that you would have to be able to receive the station as strong as possible in order to keep the HD active. (No static, noise, or other interference in the analog AM broadcast.) I’m also told that the HD sound quality on AM is very compressed, much like streaming a radio station on a 56K modem. I guess the only thing you gain is improved frequency response and a stereo broadcast, not like you need it on talk stations.

I purchased an Accurian HD radio several years ago from Radio Shack. It has great sound, and seems to pick up a lot of HD channels here in Akron, even from the Cleveland stations. The AM signal has to be very powerful to receive the HD. WTAM has it, and so does WWMK 1260, but they're hard to pick up any HD. I also have a handheld Zune MP3 player that has a built-in FM HD receiver. It's decent, but not as sensitive as the Accurian.
post #3293 of 3985
The Sony HD Radios and component tuner sold a few years ago had good sound and very good reception. But you need to connect an external set of rabbit ears to get good reception, or even better, a real outside or attic antenna designed for FM radio. But most of these HD radio signals still need to increase power a bit to guarantee better reception. And the current Insignia portable model that sells for $50 gets good reviews for good reception. But you need to connect external speakers to get good sound quality.
post #3294 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

dannykewl, it's a ''repackaged' U-Verse from what I understand with the White/Grey 2 wire modem, not through AT&T but from a 3rd party. They did provide me with plenty of filters, however they could not supply me with a Wall Jack DSL filter for both my Kitchen phone & Workshop phone...... they would have but there was no longer a demand for these & they stopped ordering them. I guess the standard wall phone is a thing of the past.

I had AT&T years back, for dialup, they had exponentally increased my rate to nearly triple what I was initally paying in baby steps over the course of 14 months (& they weren't finished) , I finally said enough is enough.

Yes I can see some of these pictures & maps a bit better now, though It's not up to speed for streaming audio & video.... not that it bothers me a whole lot, I detest becoming internet dependent which is the way things are going. unfortunately.

OK, so your "main" phone is the kitchen wall phone and workshop phone.

I found this so far if it helps:

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku3950309

Amazon and ebay with search words "dsl filter wall phone" brings up some results, but prices seem to be around the $8 that AT&T wants for the most part.
Edited by dannykewl - 3/21/13 at 8:01pm
post #3295 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The Sony HD Radios and component tuner sold a few years ago had good sound and very good reception. But you need to connect an external set of rabbit ears to get good reception, or even better, a real outside or attic antenna designed for FM radio. But most of these HD radio signals still need to increase power a bit to guarantee better reception. And the current Insignia portable model that sells for $50 gets good reviews for good reception. But you need to connect external speakers to get good sound quality.

I used to see the HD table radios at Best Buy, they looked and sounded cool, but were expensive. I ended up buying the first generation Insignia portable for $50. Still works, but I think the headphone jack is going on it. Also, for digital radio as well as TV, stations are "supposed" to get about the same coverage they have/had with analog on about one tenth the wattage. But I would like them to add more for areas where it's "all or nothing", at least with analog you got "something" in those areas.
post #3296 of 3985
It's best to use the one filter mounted in the main phone distribution junction box outside the house which eliminates using umpteen million filters for each drop for your DSL. They don't tell you it only costs 8 dollars
(one time cost) for the master filter because they want you to buy 10 filters for 8 dollars apiece to put one on each drop which you do not have to do. And they will bump you up to 3.0 meg from 1.5 meg for .01 cent per month.
Then you can talk on your phone and do internet at the same time.
JJK
post #3297 of 3985
Whoever fixed the bug on channel 25... THANK YOU!

That instant appear/disappear effect has been bugging me since November 2008. It finally fades in and out like it is suppose to. I also see that it is now outside of the 4x3 safe zone. It could be a little closer to the corner of the screen.
post #3298 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykewl View Post

OK, so your "main" phone is the kitchen wall phone and workshop phone.

I found this so far if it helps:

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku3950309

Amazon and ebay with search words "dsl filter wall phone" brings up some results, but prices seem to be around the $8 that AT&T wants for the most part.

This is what I had seen, a bit bigger than I thought though... why so big? I was going to mod one of the filters I had to go inside the wall, though unsure if I have the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

It's best to use the one filter mounted in the main phone distribution junction box outside the house which eliminates using umpteen million filters for each drop for your DSL. They don't tell you it only costs 8 dollars
(one time cost) for the master filter because they want you to buy 10 filters for 8 dollars apiece to put one on each drop which you do not have to do. And they will bump you up to 3.0 meg from 1.5 meg for .01 cent per month.
Then you can talk on your phone and do internet at the same time.
JJK

Now installing a filter at the entrance, wouldn't that filter the DSL entering the house? ... unless you were using a seperate line for where the DSL jack is being used, I can't see how this would work. Entrance interface or box, it's just a 4 wire terminal block that's grounded... nothing complex.... there is no box outside the house unless you mean the rocket box in my back yard, all the wiring is underground here.
post #3299 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I purchased an Accurian HD radio several years ago from Radio Shack. It has great sound, and seems to pick up a lot of HD channels here in Akron, even from the Cleveland stations. The AM signal has to be very powerful to receive the HD. WTAM has it, and so does WWMK 1260, but they're hard to pick up any HD. I also have a handheld Zune MP3 player that has a built-in FM HD receiver. It's decent, but not as sensitive as the Accurian.

I often thought AM HD was just a simulcast on a sister station.... so I would imagine no HD coming from Cleveland since I'm just too far out let alone nothing from WSB or WCBS AM who speak of their HD1 signal?

Amazing thwey can incorporate HD into a $119 JVC car stereo, yet not put this in any home receivers aside of the top end. I saw a few years back Insignia had a stand alone component for HD for around $69, though I'm out of room & inputs. I'm not sure this is available anymore. As for table radios I've scarfed up enough GE Bullet Proof Vintage Clock Radios! smile.gif

edit: that Mazda ad agressive & script intensen (wouldn't allow me to log in)... they really want me to buy this overpriced ''chariot''... I bet there are no points & a carb in that one, & probably controlled by a nasty computer!
tongue.gif
Edited by Bismarck440 - 3/26/13 at 7:39pm
post #3300 of 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

So I imagine no HD on AM? I often thought AM HD was just a simulcast on a sister station.... so I would imagine no HD coming from Cleveland since I'm just too far out let alone nothing from WSB or WCBS AM who speak of their HD1 signal?
Two AM stations in Cleveland broadcast in HD. They are WTAM 1100 and WWMK 1260. WARF 1350 from Akron also broadcasts in HD. I imagine that that you have to be within the red contour service area in order to reliably receive a HD signal on AM according to the coverage maps found at radio-locator.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV