or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 28

post #811 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

So, WKYC is carrying the NFL network feed of the Browns/Steelers game Thursday.
That is the night NBC is running the Christmas episodes of THE OFFICE and 30 ROCK.
I cannot see anywhere in the schedule that WKYC is going to delay broadcast the NBC lineup from that night.
Anyone know if they plan on doing a delay broadcast? (Channel 8 always delays the FOX shows when they show a Browns game in primetime)

From WKYC.com

"Overnight Saturday (Sunday morning), from 2 - 4 a.m., you can watch or DVR Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office and 30 Rock."
post #812 of 3986
This is just more for curiosity sake than anything else. I gather that at least someone can get WCDN-D these days; I certainly cannot. My question is are they broadcasting a high def signal (like the TCT folks) or just standard def? Also, is what was formerly 65 still not operating on 53.2? I would be curious if anyone at what was WXOX-LP/65 ever noticed that it was flipped off. Simulcasting of WXOX-LP was the agreement behind the FCC originally dismissing 65's application to build a digital facility on RF-7.

Apparently the FCC does not hang onto all dismissed applications, because I cannot find the one for WXOX's digital channel 7 application. I was able to find the agreement that was attached to WCDN's granted application for a CP for channel 7.
post #813 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8MO View Post

This is just more for curiosity sake than anything else. I gather that at least someone can get WCDN-D these days; I certainly cannot. My question is are they broadcasting a high def signal (like the TCT folks) or just standard def? Also, is what was formerly 65 still not operating on 53.2? I would be curious if anyone at what was WXOX-LP/65 ever noticed that it was flipped off. Simulcasting of WXOX-LP was the agreement behind the FCC originally dismissing 65's application to build a digital facility on RF-7.

Apparently the FCC does not hang onto all dismissed applications, because I cannot find the one for WXOX's digital channel 7 application. I was able to find the agreement that was attached to WCDN's granted application for a CP for channel 7.

WXOX still has a license for analog 65-, plus an application for analog 44+ , digital 44 and digital 31.

When WCDN-D dropped 53.2 the audio feed for 53.1 disappeared from my E* 622 (I get audio on my Zenith CECB however). I tried a delete & rescan but no dice. All I accomplished was to remove 53.2.

This has happened before on other scanned ATSC signals (IIRC I had a similar problem with TCT).
post #814 of 3986
Any updates as to when WVPX will start transmitting a HDTV signal?
post #815 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLaz View Post

Any updates as to when WVPX will start transmitting a HDTV signal?

Probabily won't be happening anytime soon due to Ion Media's bankruptcy filing earlier in the spring. They only took a select number of stations HD around the time of the initial digital transition date.

I look at it this way. If WRLM can take Channel 47 HD less than a month after taking over, it went HD. So once Ion's financial troubles are settled it could happen.
post #816 of 3986
I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I just thought I would pass it along... if anyone is looking for a quality handheld OTA digital TV, I would recommend the 3.5" Auvio Portable Digital TV sold at Radio Shack. The performance is amazing. It has good sensitivity and can pick up all the local OTA stations with no problems. It doesn't even need any large antenna connected to it. The built-in antenna works nicely. I live in Akron and can pick up all Cleveland and Akron Stations, and even WFMJ, WKBN and WNEO whenever I'm in certain areas of the city.
post #817 of 3986
I still haven't finished making my existing analog portable TV digital compatible. I built a cable to connect it between a small converter box and the antenna input on the TV. It actually works reasonably well, but I need to build a battery pack to run both the TV and converter box. I didn't have the heart to throw out a perfectly functional portable analog LCD TV.
post #818 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I just thought I would pass it along... if anyone is looking for a quality handheld OTA digital TV, I would recommend the 3.5" Auvio Portable Digital TV sold at Radio Shack. The performance is amazing. It has good sensitivity and can pick up all the local OTA stations with no problems. It doesn't even need any large antenna connected to it. The built-in antenna works nicely. I live in Akron and can pick up all Cleveland and Akron Stations, and even WFMJ, WKBN and WNEO whenever I'm in certain areas of the city.

Actually am looking for one but it must meet the requirements of working on standard batteries, the propriotary battery packs are usless & I would only plan on using this in standby emergencies... in wich these batteries under those conditions would fail within a year or 2.... further adding to the electronic landfills.

Also with the null the Cleveland stations have placed on this area, to my understanding (I haven't done a test yet) but 5 is supposevely the only station avialable up here (28 miles from the farm) with rabbit ears, probably not worth it at this point.
post #819 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8MO View Post

I still haven't finished making my existing analog portable TV digital compatible. I built a cable to connect it between a small converter box and the antenna input on the TV. It actually works reasonably well, but I need to build a battery pack to run both the TV and converter box. I didn't have the heart to throw out a perfectly functional portable analog LCD TV.

I still have a Tube portable B/W that works on 10 D cells, probably not worth converting but it still has a functioning radio.... worked reasonably well on Analog.

Probably heading for the land fill.
post #820 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Actually am looking for one but it must meet the requirements of working on standard batteries, the propriotary battery packs are usless & I would only plan on using this in standby emergencies... in wich these batteries under those conditions would fail within a year or 2.... further adding to the electronic landfills.

Also with the null the Cleveland stations have placed on this area, to my understanding (I haven't done a test yet) but 5 is supposevely the only station avialable up here (28 miles from the farm) with rabbit ears, probably not worth it at this point.

The Auvio portable TV does not have a built in battery pack. It runs off of 4 AA batteries. It's got the best tuner I've seen yet. It might be worth a shot if anyone is looking for a quality portable tuner.
post #821 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Actually am looking for one but it must meet the requirements of working on standard batteries, the propriotary battery packs are usless & I would only plan on using this in standby emergencies... in wich these batteries under those conditions would fail within a year or 2.... further adding to the electronic landfills.

Also with the null the Cleveland stations have placed on this area, to my understanding (I haven't done a test yet) but 5 is supposevely the only station avialable up here (28 miles from the farm) with rabbit ears, probably not worth it at this point.

What area 28 miles from the Parma farm is in a null? The only purposed null in this market I am aware of was on the old WAKR-TV (both 49 & 23) to protect WEWS in it's home county and points well north of the Akron area.
post #822 of 3986
sure cannot wait till spring because my reception of the Cleveland's have been non exsistant since late fall.
It is all lake ducting and tropo for reception of these stations. I miss channel 5 WEWS news in the mornings with their hot lady anchor they have.
post #823 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniMark View Post

sure cannot wait till spring because my reception of the Cleveland's have been non exsistant since late fall.
It is all lake ducting and tropo for reception of these stations. I miss channel 5 WEWS news in the mornings with their hot lady anchor they have.

Ditto for your locals down here! Of course CFPL is toast now, thanks to WOIO-DT. I miss CFPL, I grew up watching CFPL. It came in as clear as a local station every summer in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland, and was a full-time local for parts of Ashtabula County. I still remember seeing Pierre Burton and hearing commercials mentioning Dundas and Egerton Streets (sorry don't know the correct spelling) from watching CFPL. This was over 40 years ago!

Today I sometimes get CBC on 40, plus other Canadian stations on 42, 51, 59 and 69. I hear they all are located on one tower, is that true?
post #824 of 3986
Thread Starter 
Tropo reception from some of the northern regions was noted today for the first time in many weeks. Several Ontario analogs were seen fading in and out and some digital reception from Erie PA stations. Toledo or lower Michigan may have been there too but didn't check in that direction. This should be happening through early tomorrow (GMT) also according to the forecast on http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html.

During the summer I often see Ontario analogs but never yet any digital stations. Has anyone ever caught any of their DT stations?
post #825 of 3986
indeed, most of the Cleveland's were in today with the exception of CBS and FOX. I have no VHF antenna at this point. I currently have a DB8 with a preamp and this is what I was getting:
3-1, 3-2
5-1
17-1, 17-2, 17-3, 17-4, 17-5
25-1, 25-2, 25-3, 25-4, 25-9
27-1, 27-2
33-1, 33-2, 33-3
43-1, 43-2
45-1, 45-2, 45-3
49-1, 49-2, 49-3, 49-4
55-1
61-1
post #826 of 3986
Thread Starter 
I did some more tropo DXing early Sunday morning (12:00-2:00 AM) and was getting analogs on many channels....most seemed to be Canadian...5 (CBC), 6 (Global), 9, 10 (despite WOIO), 11 (CHCH), 12, 13 (CTV), 14 (religious), 18 (CHCH), 19 (CHCH), 25 (CBC in French), 31 (CityTv), 32 (TVO), 40 (CBC), 42, 51 (CHCH)...didn't have time to identify all channels received. On the digital side, I was seeing WNLO-HD, Buffalo (23.1), WJET-DT, Erie (24.1), WFXP-DT, Erie (66.1), WKBD-HD, Detroit (50.1), WSMH-DT, Flint (66.1), WGTE-HD, Toledo (30.1), WMYD-HD, Detroit (20.1). Signals too low to lock were noted on many other channels. Also, noted some Pittsburgh DT channels popping in and out. All in all, a surprisingly active night for mid-winter. Very heavy fog was hanging over the area while all this was happening.
post #827 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

I did some more tropo DXing early Sunday morning (12:00-2:00 AM) and was getting analogs on many channels....most seemed to be Canadian...5 (CBC), 6 (Global), 9, 10 (despite WOIO), 11 (CHCH), 12, 13 (CTV), 14 (religious), 18 (CHCH), 19 (CHCH), 25 (CBC in French), 31 (CityTv), 32 (TVO), 40 (CBC), 42, 51 (CHCH)...didn't have time to identify all channels received. On the digital side, I was seeing WNLO-HD, Buffalo (23.1), WJET-DT, Erie (24.1), WFXP-DT, Erie (66.1), WKBD-HD, Detroit (50.1), WSMH-DT, Flint (66.1), WGTE-HD, Toledo (30.1), WMYD-HD, Detroit (20.1). Signals too low to lock were noted on many other channels. Also, noted some Pittsburgh DT channels popping in and out. All in all, a surprisingly active night for mid-winter. Very heavy fog was hanging over the area while all this was happening.

Wow, that's amazing you were able to pick up Toronto stations in Canton... like 5, 19, and 25 especially. Those would have been far enough away from Cleveland at the time all of these channels were occupied by Cleveland stations. That's interesting to hear.
post #828 of 3986
What's channel 7 and channel 16? Last night I noticed some signal activity on those channels, but not enough to get a watchable picture. This was on the TV I cannot get 8 on at all. 10 works fine though.
post #829 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Ditto for your locals down here! Of course CFPL is toast now, thanks to WOIO-DT. I miss CFPL, I grew up watching CFPL. It came in as clear as a local station every summer in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland, and was a full-time local for parts of Ashtabula County. I still remember seeing Pierre Burton and hearing commercials mentioning Dundas and Egerton Streets (sorry don't know the correct spelling) from watching CFPL. This was over 40 years ago!

Today I sometimes get CBC on 40, plus other Canadian stations on 42, 51, 59 and 69. I hear they all are located on one tower, is that true?

I don't know whether 69 shares a tower with 40 or not, but.....

42 (CTV) is near Oil Springs (considerably west of London, serving Sarnia and Chatham).

59 (TVO) is a relatively low power station in Chatham.

51 is near "Alvinston", not as far West of London as the others.
post #830 of 3986
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Wow, that's amazing you were able to pick up Toronto stations in Canton... like 5, 19, and 25 especially. Those would have been far enough away from Cleveland at the time all of these channels were occupied by Cleveland stations. That's interesting to hear.

I have a pretty good reception setup....a Winegard deep fringe antenna with preamplifier on a 50' tower which helps but this kind of unusual reception is due to tropospheric ducting (for info see: http://www.dxinfocentre.com/propagation/tr-modes.htm and can be seen on almost any TV setup including indoor antennas when signals are strongest. Tropospheric ducting is generally seen enhancing signals within a few hundred miles but there are other types (like "sporadic E") which involve distances of thousands of miles.
post #831 of 3986
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

What's channel 7 and channel 16? Last night I noticed some signal activity on those channels, but not enough to get a watchable picture. This was on the TV I cannot get 8 on at all. 10 works fine though.

Are you referring to analog or digital channels? WSMH-DT, Flint MI (66.1) that I mentioned receiving was on RF ch 16 and 7 could be WTRF, Wheeling WV, a regular here. I'm not sure without some research who else around is on those digital channels. Analog wise, there are a couple of Ontario stations listed for channels 7 and 16.
post #832 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

Are you referring to analog or digital channels? WSMH-DT, Flint MI (66.1) that I mentioned receiving was on RF ch 16 and 7 could be WTRF, Wheeling WV, a regular here. I'm not sure without some research who else around is on those digital channels. Analog wise, there are a couple of Ontario stations listed for channels 7 and 16.

If it was digital channel 7, it could have been FOX 2 in Detroit. That would be my guess if you were also receiving the Flint station, which would be the same general area. Don't forget though, that Cleveland also broadcasts a low power digital channel 7, the Daystar affiliate. Also, W35AX (The Cat) has filed an application to use digital channel 16.
post #833 of 3986
WOIO requests a fill-in translator on channel 24 at 11 kW (non-directional) on the WVPX tower in Akron.

- Trip
post #834 of 3986
I can't say I'm surprised that WOIO is finally breaking down and putting up translator stations in heavily populated areas in the market. I'll be curious to see if I can pull it in when they light up the station.

I took a peek at the technical exhibit. I think they just lucked out that they have a little teeny tiny area in southern Wayne and Stark Counties, and northern Tuscarawas County that have experienced "signal loss". I'm sure their only main concern is to provide reliable OTA transmission of their signal to the cities of Akron and Canton.
post #835 of 3986
WVPX is one of my stronger signals here in Southwest Canton..so WOIO at 11kw should be at least as good on channel 24..
post #836 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8MO View Post

I'm sure their only main concern is to provide reliable OTA transmission of their signal to the cities of Akron and Canton.

That's an unbelievable service contour map for an 11 kW (looks more like at least a 60 kW map) fill-in translator. However 11 kW should probably be enough to serve Akron and Canton.
post #837 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

That's an unbelievable service contour map for an 11 kW (looks more like at least a 60 kW map) fill-in translator.

On an indoor antenna, maybe. I had a local signal sign on in 2003 at 17.9 kW and it was my third strongest signal on my roof antenna at 53 miles. I managed to receive it on the indoor antenna, too, but not nearly as well.

In their deepest nulls (southwest), WVPX is only putting out 44 kW (assuming they're at 1000 kW) which is only 6 dB more than the fill-in translator. So those to the southwest of the WVPX tower, if you get 23-1 at a decent signal level now, I would suspect the fill-in translator will do the job.

Finally, they wouldn't have to illustrate the loss area on that nifty map to get the fill-in translator, but it certainly helps. A Longley-Rice map showing the area is within the contour but receiving sub-optimal amounts of signal would suffice.

- Trip
post #838 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniMark View Post

indeed, most of the Cleveland's were in today with the exception of CBS and FOX. I have no VHF antenna at this point. I currently have a DB8 with a preamp and this is what I was getting:
3-1, 3-2
5-1
17-1, 17-2, 17-3, 17-4, 17-5
25-1, 25-2, 25-3, 25-4, 25-9
27-1, 27-2
33-1, 33-2, 33-3
43-1, 43-2
45-1, 45-2, 45-3
49-1, 49-2, 49-3, 49-4
55-1
61-1

If you got 27-1 & 27-2 you did get CBS & FOX, just from a different city (Youngstown). I live in the Cleveland antenna farm and can get 27-1 & 27-2 (WKBN- CBS/WYFX- FOX, both in HD off one channel) with an indoor "Silver Sensor" (not amplified either, amps overload here at ground zero). I'm 57 miles from WKBN's transmitter.
post #839 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WOIO requests a fill-in translator on channel 24 at 11 kW (non-directional) on the WVPX tower in Akron.

- Trip

New coverage map for the WOIO translator..........................



https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1
post #840 of 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

What area 28 miles from the Parma farm is in a null? The only purposed null in this market I am aware of was on the old WAKR-TV (both 49 & 23) to protect WEWS in it's home county and points well north of the Akron area.

19 has a null to the North/East, amongst the other stations that do not cover us within the shadow of the ridge, & to protect Canada.
By rights I'm close enough with no obstructions to have Erie as a secondary, I have yet to pull in a Erie DTV with the exception of 66 once.

Did they re orient 8's antenna about 3 weeks back?? All of a sudden I cannot get 8 on my attic antenna & the signal dropped signifigantly on my outsoor set, I'm thinking they oriented the null up this way now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV