or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 4

post #91 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

What's going to happen when WKYC DT switches to RF 17???
I hope WTOL DT plans on going back to rf 11, otherwise those in the fringe area between Cleveland and Toledo are screwed.

WTOL-DT is moving back to 11.

- Trip
post #92 of 3983
FYI, beginning next Tuesday WKYC will be periodically turning off their DTV transmitter and going to low power on their analog Tx in order to protect the tower workers, who are getting close to the top. Look for this to happen during business hours next week, with everything being normalized again at the end of each day.

Cable subscribers will not be affected.
post #93 of 3983
Saw this in the Beacon Journal yesterday:

WAOH-29 Akron and WAX-35 Cleveland, the "CAT Network" is supposed to pick up Retro TV Network on June 1..Couldnt find the article online. but here are a couple other confirmations:

RTN (RTV) Website:

shows a USA map:scroll over Ohio, will show the stations and cable channels

http://www.myretrotv.com/affiliates.html#

Sitcoms online.com blog has a brief mention:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...osby-show.html

Too bad a full power station in Cleveland or Akron didnt get this...
post #94 of 3983
That's better than most of the stuff they carry now.
JJK
post #95 of 3983
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

Saw this in the Beacon Journal yesterday:

WAOH-29 Akron and WAX-35 Cleveland, the "CAT Network" is supposed to pick up Retro TV Network on June 1..Couldnt find the article online. but here are a couple other confirmations:

RTN (RTV) Website:

shows a USA map:scroll over Ohio, will show the stations and cable channels

http://www.myretrotv.com/affiliates.html#

Sitcoms online.com blog has a brief mention:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/20...osby-show.html

Too bad a full power station in Cleveland or Akron didnt get this...



Good catch, Tim.

...Also, don't forget that a lot of the S/SE area of the Cleveland DMA should be able to receive RTN via the 9.2 channel of WTOV-DT, Steubenville OH. They put a very strong signal into the Canton/Massillon area if you can rotate your antenna in their direction.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TV682252.html
post #96 of 3983
That's actually a good pickup for "The Cat". Much higher profile programming than the A1/UATV/LPTV network stuff they have now.

The problem, for me, is that at best, I get a fuzzy, semi-watchable picture out of 29 or 35, and my end of the TWC system doesn't carry them.
post #97 of 3983
With me 29 is almost unwatchable but 35 is solid but a bit noisy. Waiting for the digital change on 35.
JJK
post #98 of 3983
They have no permits nor applications to go digital. You'll be waiting for quite a while.

- Trip
post #99 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

They have no permits nor applications to go digital. You'll be waiting for quite a while.

And considering 29/35 are owned by the local FM talk station in Akron, which does not even have an emergency generator for emergencies, you probably won't see any digital apps until the very last minute, when analog LPTVers have their own deadline. If then.

"The Cat" pretty much depends on cable carriage, though it doesn't have it in the bulk of the former Adelphia/Cleveland system.
post #100 of 3983
Anyone else having an easier time picking up WKYC-DT (3.1-3.2, RF 2) in the past few days?

I don't know if it's just good antenna placement, atmospheric changes or what, but I can get WKYC-DT with a good enough signal to fully lock up here on the second floor.

Of course, the signal is about to go away in favor of a much better one, so it's mostly a curiosity for the next 2 1/2 weeks or so.
post #101 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Anyone else having an easier time picking up WKYC-DT (3.1-3.2, RF 2) in the past few days?

I don't know if it's just good antenna placement, atmospheric changes or what, but I can get WKYC-DT with a good enough signal to fully lock up here on the second floor.

Of course, the signal is about to go away in favor of a much better one, so it's mostly a curiosity for the next 2 1/2 weeks or so.

This might have something to do with the new tower (signal reflection, perhaps).

The new tower is so close to the old one that there has to be some affect especially now that the new tower is almost a s high as the old one now.
post #102 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

Saw this in the Beacon Journal yesterday:

WAOH-29 Akron and WAX-35 Cleveland, the "CAT Network" is supposed to pick up Retro TV Network on June 1.
...
Too bad a full power station in Cleveland or Akron didnt get this...

Wow, that sucks. Being with Dish, I have little left that can pick up an analog signal, much less record to to my DVR. I was so hoping 3, 5, 8, 19, 43, or 55 would pick this up. No none will get it that Cleveland has it as an affiliate. And with a Class A license, they can't use Must Carry to get on Dish or DirecTV, not to mention TWC.
post #103 of 3983
Thread Starter 
A note to those of you who might not have noticed....Ohio Digital TV Blog posted some interesting information today regarding the 6/12 switchovers.

http://ohiodigitaltv.blogspot.com/
post #104 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

This might have something to do with the new tower (signal reflection, perhaps).

The new tower is so close to the old one that there has to be some affect especially now that the new tower is almost a s high as the old one now.

They're still experiencing weather delays with the final construction. Look for possible signal interruptions through the weekend if weather permits them to proceed with the final sections.
post #105 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

WAOH-29 Akron and WAX-35 Cleveland, the "CAT Network" is supposed to pick up Retro TV Network on June 1..

WIVM-TV52 Canton has RTN programming up this afternoon...
also relayed on WIVN-TV29 & WIVD-DT22 Newcomerstown and WIVX-TV65 Loudonville

Ed...
post #106 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

WIVM-52 Canton has RTN programming up this afternoon...
also relayed on WIVN-29 New Philadelphia and WIVX-65 Loudonville

Ed...

Ed:
Thanks for the tip:WIVM/WIVN is showing the "Incredible Hulk" from RTN as I type..Great move for them, even if only part time..
post #107 of 3983
seeing two Toledo stations this morning...
WTOL-DT11 (RF17) and WGTE-DT30 (RF29)...
Ed...

post #108 of 3983
I saw the 2 Toledo stations in addition to WXYZ-DT7 (RF 41) Detroit. Just before 8:00 this morning.
post #109 of 3983
WKYC's steel is up. Now for the job of attaching the antennas.
post #110 of 3983
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I find the sight very informative. I'm looking for some help with my antenna setup and hope someone out there with a lot of expertise can help.
I live in the Youngstown Ohio area which is between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I had an old channel master 4228 (30 years old) that was still up and a 24db distribution amp, hooked it up to my Digital TV. Seem to be working great, was getting all my locals plus got channel 2 Pittsburgh all the time and channel 11 most of the time. Also would get 4, 13, & 53 when conditions were good. When I point it to Cleveland I would get channel 5 all the time, 8 most of the time and 43 when conditions were good.
Here's the problem, I decided to get a new 4228 and change my cable wire to the rg6, thinking that the new would be better because the old was rusty and the wiring would be better and I might be able to get more channels in. When I was done it was worse. I was only able to get Cleveland, finally when I put the old balum back on the new antenna I did get Pittsburgh back in. But the signal strength is not as good as before and channels I got most of the time are only coming in when conditions are good. I am getting Steubenville channel 9 in but only at night when I point the antenna that way but I get it in all the time on the back side. Here is my current setup, antenna is channel master 4228, and wire is rg6 quad 2300 MHz, ace 24db gain amp and a monster 2gig 4way splitter. Could the wiring be the problem, splitter, or the amp? What setup should I have?
post #111 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg0711 View Post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I find the sight very informative. I'm looking for some help with my antenna setup and hope someone out there with a lot of expertise can help.
I live in the Youngstown Ohio area which is between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I had an old channel master 4228 (30 years old) that was still up and a 24db distribution amp, hooked it up to my Digital TV. Seem to be working great, was getting all my locals plus got channel 2 Pittsburgh all the time and channel 11 most of the time. Also would get 4, 13, & 53 when conditions were good. When I point it to Cleveland I would get channel 5 all the time, 8 most of the time and 43 when conditions were good.
Here's the problem, I decided to get a new 4228 and change my cable wire to the rg6, thinking that the new would be better because the old was rusty and the wiring would be better and I might be able to get more channels in. When I was done it was worse. I was only able to get Cleveland, finally when I put the old balum back on the new antenna I did get Pittsburgh back in. But the signal strength is not as good as before and channels I got most of the time are only coming in when conditions are good. I am getting Steubenville channel 9 in but only at night when I point the antenna that way but I get it in all the time on the back side. Here is my current setup, antenna is channel master 4228, and wire is rg6 quad 2300 MHz, ace 24db gain amp and a monster 2gig 4way splitter. Could the wiring be the problem, splitter, or the amp? What setup should I have?

I'd suggest a couple of things to narrow down the problem -

1 - Eliminate the splitter and go directly to one set and check reception.

2 - Eliminate the 24db amp and check reception again.

It's entirely possible that the front end of the amp is overloading and going into distortion / clipping because of some nearby strong signal which might be stronger because of the new antenna.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

ck
post #112 of 3983
anyone watching pushing daisies, I am having sound troubles, as the center channel is coming out of my rear left channel...anyone else seeing this?
post #113 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathode Kid View Post

I'd suggest a couple of things to narrow down the problem -

1 - Eliminate the splitter and go directly to one set and check reception.

2 - Eliminate the 24db amp and check reception again.

It's entirely possible that the front end of the amp is overloading and going into distortion / clipping because of some nearby strong signal which might be stronger because of the new antenna.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

ck

I tried that, i eliminated the splitter and it made no differance and the amp did help in making the signal stronger. I used channel 2.1 kdka as the test. The Youngstown locals still come in thats why I didn't think I was over loading any signal. I also switched splitters to a 900mhz which might be a little better but hard to tell.
post #114 of 3983
Did you assemble the connectors on the cables yourself? The connectors have to be installed perfectly in those frequency ranges. If you have the ground shields clumped up a sweep generator will show you dips and peeks in the throughput and sometimes no throughput at all with some frequencies. It's best to keep things to a minimum---amps, connectors, splitters, etc. The ideal setup would be to have 20 db more signal than you need with a 20 db pad in the line to knock out all the VSWR. This is the way the "big industrial guys" do it. And the 3 db loss at 1000 mghz with RG-6 could be eliminated with "Spirolflex" which would cost more than---well unless your a purist.
JJK
post #115 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

Did you assemble the connectors on the cables yourself? The connectors have to be installed perfectly in those frequency ranges. If you have the ground shields clumped up a sweep generator will show you dips and peeks in the throughput and sometimes no throughput at all with some frequencies. It's best to keep things to a minimum---amps, connectors, splitters, etc. The ideal setup would be to have 20 db more signal than you need with a 20 db pad in the line to knock out all the VSWR. This is the way the "big industrial guys" do it. And the 3 db loss at 1000 mghz with RG-6 could be eliminated with "Spirolflex" which would cost more than---well unless your a purist.
JJK

I connected the fittings myself using a compression tool. I'm thinking about waiting till after the digital switch over and re-doing my setup. So what would you suggest, type of wire, pre amp or distribution amp and anything else.
Also can you over amp a digital signal and if so then why are my youngstown stations not affected. I'm also thinking of putting my old cm 4228 back up and stacking it vertically or back to back. Another idea I had was removing the screen. I always thought that was to prevent the ghosting on analog and shouldn't affect digital. What's your thoughts.
Thanks
post #116 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg0711 View Post

I connected the fittings myself using a compression tool. I'm thinking about waiting till after the digital switch over and re-doing my setup. So what would you suggest, type of wire, pre amp or distribution amp and anything else.
Also can you over amp a digital signal and if so then why are my youngstown stations not affected. I'm also thinking of putting my old cm 4228 back up and stacking it vertically or back to back. Another idea I had was removing the screen. I always thought that was to prevent the ghosting on analog and shouldn't affect digital. What's your thoughts.
Thanks

It's possible to over-amp a signal. This adds distortion to the signal. This is exactly how distortion pedals work for guitars, btw. Distortion might be desirable for certain types of music but it can wreak havoc on a digital tv signal, causing 1s to turn into 0s and vice-versa.

Anyway, keep the RG-6 cable - it's good stuff. You might consider a mast-mounted preamp. Getting the amplification closer to the signal source can help improve your C/N ratio, since the preamp won't be amplifying the noise picked up by a long length of downlead.
post #117 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackKnight View Post

I saw the 2 Toledo stations in addition to WXYZ-DT7 (RF 41) Detroit. Just before 8:00 this morning.

Interesting. Do you usually get WKBN-DT? Being in Canton that Youngstown station should have overridden WXYZ (both are on digital rf 41).
post #118 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg0711 View Post

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I find the sight very informative. I'm looking for some help with my antenna setup and hope someone out there with a lot of expertise can help.
I live in the Youngstown Ohio area which is between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I had an old channel master 4228 (30 years old) that was still up and a 24db distribution amp, hooked it up to my Digital TV. Seem to be working great, was getting all my locals plus got channel 2 Pittsburgh all the time and channel 11 most of the time. Also would get 4, 13, & 53 when conditions were good. When I point it to Cleveland I would get channel 5 all the time, 8 most of the time and 43 when conditions were good.
Here's the problem, I decided to get a new 4228 and change my cable wire to the rg6, thinking that the new would be better because the old was rusty and the wiring would be better and I might be able to get more channels in. When I was done it was worse. I was only able to get Cleveland, finally when I put the old balum back on the new antenna I did get Pittsburgh back in. But the signal strength is not as good as before and channels I got most of the time are only coming in when conditions are good. I am getting Steubenville channel 9 in but only at night when I point the antenna that way but I get it in all the time on the back side. Here is my current setup, antenna is channel master 4228, and wire is rg6 quad 2300 MHz, ace 24db gain amp and a monster 2gig 4way splitter. Could the wiring be the problem, splitter, or the amp? What setup should I have?

The new balun appears to be part of the problem. Not all baluns are created equal, many are VHF only. Check the frequency response rating on the balun, I bet the new one is not rated for UHF (evenif the stronger UHF's are still getting through).
post #119 of 3983
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Interesting. Do you usually get WKBN-DT? Being in Canton that Youngstown station should have overridden WXYZ (both are on digital rf 41).

Not necessarily. I'm not familiar with TheBlackKnight's receiving setup but I know from personal experience that it's quite possible to get more than one station on the same channel by aiming an antenna in different directions. Detroit is on quite a different heading than Youngstown and conditions may have significantly boosted WXYZ's signal.
post #120 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

The new balun appears to be part of the problem. Not all baluns are created equal, many are VHF only. Check the frequency response rating on the balun, I bet the new one is not rated for UHF (evenif the stronger UHF's are still getting through).

Thanks guys, I'll try some of things you've mentioned. But i'm going to wait till the 12th for the complete digital switch first.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Cleveland, OH - HDTV