or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › The Pioneer DV-420V Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Pioneer DV-420V Owner's Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam99 View Post

Well, now my player seems to be giving me grief playing anything through the USB input.
I've tried several different USB drives from 3 different 4GB jumpdrives to my 1TB hard drive which all worked yesterday but now will not. The display reads "USB Mode" and will not cycle through to the GUI on all of my USB devices. I reformatted the jumpdrives as well. The player plays DVD's without issue.
Could the USB input be broken? I haven't done anything different than I've always done. Is there a way to "reset" the player?
I need to know if I should just take the player back (it's still under warranty) or does anyone know any tricks to try?
Thanks.

I tried the "reset" function suggested, nothing.
I was just about to bring it in for repair but I unplugged it for a couple of days first and just for kicks tried it again before I brought it in for repair and low and behold it's working again. Bizarre, but it did save me the grief of waiting for it to be repaired.
post #152 of 436
Well, I'm a dv-420 user and checking the hdmi quality and the image lack with darkness and yellowship, I wonder if it is better to use it with component cables and sacrifice the hdmi and scaling just to get an image with no darkness and yellowship.

Any suggestion about that?
post #153 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholdred View Post

Well, I'm a dv-420 user and checking the hdmi quality and the image lack with darkness and yellowship, I wonder if it is better to use it with component cables and sacrifice the hdmi and scaling just to get an image with no darkness and yellowship.

Any suggestion about that?

I tried component cables with the Pio Elite DV-49AV I was demoing. It took care of the overly dark picture, but my TV doesn't have a very good scaler so I just sold the player. Its really a shame because Pioneer DVD players are great from a feature set and build quality standpoint. If you can't send it back at this point you may want to try calibrating the player with something like -2 gamma. That should get it pretty close. As far as the yellowish tinge, I never was able to fix that while using HDMI. Blue eyes in movies always looked green and many DVDs had a yellowish cast in general.

Then again, this depends on whether you have a decent scaler on your TV or receiver. If you do, try the component route - it will take care of the overly dark and yellowish picture.
post #154 of 436
If you want to keep your player's warranty, you don't have to change the firmware. I think your best bet would be to use a Component Video connection and set the player's output to Interlaced so your TV can do all the upscaling and deinterlacing. Turn your TV's brightness to the 40% zone so you'll get deeper blacks, and max out your TV's contrast. (Note that some TVs show propper black level when receiving interlaced and progressive signals, allowing you to keep the TV's brightness control in the nutral position.) Also, set your player's brightness to +20, contrast to +16, and gamma to -3. All this should provide you deep blacks while at the same time let you see those darker passages more clearly and lighter scenes in broad daylight. Good luck!
post #155 of 436
Thank you very much for your comments. It is a pitty that we can not get the best from our players just because de video image is not properly set up by default.

I hope that pioneer or the StM firm cuold fix it in the future. At the moment I will try the solutions that you suggest.

Thanks
post #156 of 436
Another question. I have the StM firm. Can I set up the language of the subtitles .srt? My problem is that I can not see some of the Spanish letters like "ñ" or "¿". I red that in others firms there is a submenu to set up all the subtitles parameteres, but I can not find it in the dv-420 StM firm.

Thanks in advance!
post #157 of 436
The ñ should work!
¿ is not present in the font table so this do not work!
Does ñ work in the original firmware?
Do you choose Spanish in the menu for subtitle?
post #158 of 436
Thank you for your answer. I had chosen Spanish in the menu for subtitle, but there was a problem in the codification of the subtitle. I changed it to ISO 8859-1 and it was solved.
post #159 of 436
This is a great player but the file browser in USB Mode sucks. It doesn't sort alphabetically or numerically. I've tried to sort folders by both methods and neither works. Seems to be random.

Any suggestions? Does Hkan's firmware correct this?
post #160 of 436
Hi, 2 questions

1. Why my dv-420-vk play avi files in black and white when the ripping is 25.000 fps? i ever recode the avi file to 29.000 fps for view all colors.

2. Why the maximun resolution is 720x569 when the specifications in signal out is 480p, 720p, 1080i o 1080p

thanks
post #161 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinezic View Post

... when I then start subtitles with button, blue line, which indicate start of reproduction, with play icon on top of the screen STUCK?! Then I need to press pause button twice to remove this line, re-initiate blue line!

First off, great custom firmware Hkan. The browser improvements alone make it worth the upgrade. Two things though, first is in regards to the above post. When you press display or change subtitles with StM 1.1 the blue play bar stays on screen until you pause, FF or RW the movie and then press play again. This is sort of annoying but I can live with it if its not possible to fix it. Second, is there any chance of removing the light grey background behind .srt subtitles?

Again, thanks and keep those improvements coming, we all really appreciate it.
post #162 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keyz View Post

First off, great custom firmware Hkan. The browser improvements alone make it worth the upgrade. Two things though, first is in regards to the above post. When you press display or change subtitles with StM 1.1 the blue play bar stays on screen until you pause, FF or RW the movie and then press play again. This is sort of annoying but I can live with it if its not possible to fix it. Second, is there any chance of removing the light grey background behind .srt subtitles?

Again, thanks and keep those improvements coming, we all really appreciate it.

There might be this option in a later version!
But when this version will arrive I cant say!
post #163 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by echuc View Post

Hi, 2 questions

1. Why my dv-420-vk play avi files in black and white when the ripping is 25.000 fps? i ever recode the avi file to 29.000 fps for view all colors.

2. Why the maximun resolution is 720x569 when the specifications in signal out is 480p, 720p, 1080i o 1080p

thanks

1) This is becosue your TV cant handle PAL (or NTSC). You need to set the player to output your TV system.
You can do this by following this instructions:
Turn off your player. Using the front panel controls, hold down >>| then press STANDBY/ON to switch the TV system. The TV system changes as follows:
AUTO --> NTSC
NTSC --> PAL
PAL --> AUTO

2) Input and output is two diffrent things! The player can upscale a input signal of 720x572.
post #164 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by echuc View Post

Hi, 2 questions

1. Why my dv-420-vk play avi files in black and white when the ripping is 25.000 fps? i ever recode the avi file to 29.000 fps for view all colors.

2. Why the maximun resolution is 720x569 when the specifications in signal out is 480p, 720p, 1080i o 1080p

thanks

Although Hkan has answered to you, I would like to comment something about your second question. If you get the output video by Component Video connection, you can't get 1080i or 1080p. You must connect the player to the tv with a hdmi cable, and your tv must support that resolution. Otherwise you can not get any image.
post #165 of 436
thanks Hkan your are a genius. thanks mholdred, i use HDMI cable.

two questions more

1. The firmware YKB9326C_V1.1_CP1252.zip support spanish language?

2. the order for make multisession the player is this?
a) first install firmware
b) when finish install firmware, push first ENTER button and after push POWER button, until the player turns off, is correct?

Thanks
post #166 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by echuc View Post

1. The firmware YKB9326C_V1.1_CP1252.zip support spanish language?

Yes. Actually I use Spanish. In pioneerfaq it is described as CP1252 Albanian, Danish, Dutch, English, Faroese, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish, supported.
post #167 of 436
I know that VBR mp3 is not standard in DivX files, but I want to state this player does not play the audio correctly in DivX AVIs with variable bitrates MP3.

To correct this, you need to change the AVI sound. It is not that hard and you only need VirtualDub software and the process is:

1- Open main AVI file.
2- From file menu choose [Save WAV...]
3- After wave file is saved, from Video menu choose [Direct Stream Copy]
4- From Audio menu choose [WAV Audio...] and select your saved WAV file.
5- From Audio menu choose [Full Processing Mode]
6- From Audio menu choose [Compression...] and select Microsoft ADPCM 44Khz. (You can select MP3 too but I did not have the high quality codec)
7- From File menu choose [Save as AVI...] and this file would play on your pioneer.

The file is about 100-200MB larger because of the ADPCM wave but it works without problem on the player.
post #168 of 436
Thanks for the info about the VBR audio.

What problem does the player have if it gets a VBR audio encoded video? That way I will know I have to convert it.
post #169 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell_ View Post

Thanks for the info about the VBR audio.

What problem does the player have if it gets a VBR audio encoded video? That way I will know I have to convert it.

The sound won't play right. Sometimes with delays, sometimes with noises and sometimes no sound at all.

You can also right click on your computer media player and see the AVI properties to see if the DivX sound is VBR. It usually states it there.
post #170 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholdred View Post

Well, I'm a dv-420 user and checking the hdmi quality and the image lack with darkness and yellowship, I wonder if it is better to use it with component cables and sacrifice the hdmi and scaling just to get an image with no darkness and yellowship.

Any suggestion about that?

Hi,

I wonder if perhaps your problem is that you have your player set to output the RGB setting in the internal menus. This will definitely produce dark images. I have the 410 model but I am assuming that the 420 is much the same. In my machine the RGB setting gives a VERY dark picture and you must choose one of the others--I just can't remember which one off the top of my head.

Anyway, get into your menus and see if the picture quality is set to RGB. If so, move it to one of the others. In my 410 it was the bottom setting that worked properly
post #171 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post

Hi,

I wonder if perhaps your problem is that you have your player set to output the RGB setting in the internal menus. This will definitely produce dark images. I have the 410 model but I am assuming that the 420 is much the same. In my machine the RGB setting gives a VERY dark picture and you must choose one of the others--I just can't remember which one off the top of my head.

Anyway, get into your menus and see if the picture quality is set to RGB. If so, move it to one of the others. In my 410 it was the bottom setting that worked properly

In Initial Settings>Video Output, open the HDMI Color submenu. From top to bottom, you should see Full Range RGB, RGB, and Component. Before giving up on an HDMI connection, try setting this setting to Component. In the Video Adjust menu, set Contrast to +16 and Gamma to -3. Set your TV's contrast (and gamma if available) to 100%. If you're still not satisfied, then you should try using a Component Video connection. If you wish to use a Component connection, in the Video Output menu, set Component Output to Interlace so that your TV can do its own deinterlacing and upscaling. In the player's Video Adjust menu, set Brightness to +20, Contrast to +16, Gamma to -3, and if your reds are pink and blues aren't strong enough, set Chroma Level to +9. Set your TV's contrast (and gamma if available) to 100%. If blacks aren't deep enough, you can either set your TV's brightness control to 37.5%, or if your TV has advanced automatic contrast compinsation, you should set your TV's brightness to 59.375% and install the StM V1.1 firmware on the DV-420V. If using the enhanced firmware, go to the Video Adjust menu, and set Black Level to Off. Believe it or not, it actually seems to give a little more gamma when you do that. Good luck!
post #172 of 436
I am getting purple spots when I play a dvd and it does not matter if I am using the hdmi or composite connections. It just stared today. I only happens with this player and not with my panasonic dvd player. Any ideas
post #173 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unolord View Post

This is a great player but the file browser in USB Mode sucks. It doesn't sort alphabetically or numerically. I've tried to sort folders by both methods and neither works. Seems to be random.

Any suggestions? Does Hkan's firmware correct this?

Anyone? Bueller?
post #174 of 436
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the biggest Pet Peeve I have with this DVD player by far....that and the fact it'll upscale to 1080P but can't "handle" HD .avi's or the x264 codec.
post #175 of 436
I have several HD AVI's, MKV's and a bunch of H.264 (becoming more and more popular) that I can't use on the DV-420V. Annoying but I can live with that. I can't, however, live with the fact that there's no sorting alphabetically or numerically when use a USB device. That's just sloppy work.
post #176 of 436
I just got a 420 and am using StM 1.1 firmware. What an improvement over my Panny S43, especially for Xvid files!

Only one problem: It only sees the first session on DVD-R multisession disks. DVD-RWs work perfectly with multisession burning, but DVD-Rs don't. Has anyone been able to use DVD-R disks for multisession recording? I use Nero 6 or NeroExpress. Maybe some setting in Nero will let it work? Or some other burning software?
post #177 of 436
kfuss:

I only use VSO ConvertXtoDVD to burn to DVDs. I've burned lots of multi-session .avi's this way and when I use the Menu function it brings up VSO's menu and lets me pick from there. Good luck.
post #178 of 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

In Initial Settings>Video Output, open the HDMI Color submenu. From top to bottom, you should see Full Range RGB, RGB, and Component. Before giving up on an HDMI connection, try setting this setting to Component. In the Video Adjust menu, set Contrast to +16 and Gamma to -3. Set your TV's contrast (and gamma if available) to 100%. If you're still not satisfied, then you should try using a Component Video connection. If you wish to use a Component connection, in the Video Output menu, set Component Output to Interlace so that your TV can do its own deinterlacing and upscaling. In the player's Video Adjust menu, set Brightness to +20, Contrast to +16, Gamma to -3, and if your reds are pink and blues aren't strong enough, set Chroma Level to +9. Set your TV's contrast (and gamma if available) to 100%. If blacks aren't deep enough, you can either set your TV's brightness control to 37.5%, or if your TV has advanced automatic contrast compinsation, you should set your TV's brightness to 59.375% and install the StM V1.1 firmware on the DV-420V. If using the enhanced firmware, go to the Video Adjust menu, and set Black Level to Off. Believe it or not, it actually seems to give a little more gamma when you do that. Good luck!


Hello all - I am trying to find a good upscaling SD player and this is on my hit list. I also am researching Yamaha S1800, Denon 1940ci, Sony 710H, Tosh XDE-600. This is to replace an aging DVD player. I use PS3 for BR and want to take the pressure off the PS3 for regular SD DVD watching. PLUS I find the PS3 macroblocks a lot on my Samsung DLP. No, I don't want to spend big bucks for an Oppo 983H.

Appreciate any insight on this player:

1) you've got me scared re: dark picture thru HDMI

2) this is Mediatek processor - does that macroblock like Faroudja?

3) any comparative experiences of the Pioneer vs the Yamaha, Denon, Sony or Toshiba I mention above?


I rely on the wealth of expertise on these boards to help me narrow my focus - thanks all!
post #179 of 436
jam99:

Thanks for the VSO reference. I don't want to convert the avis to the DVD vob format, just be able to burn multisession disks using DVD-R blanks that the 420 can read. (I generally use The FilmMachine when I want to convert an avi to DVD-Video.) My Panasonic S43 reads the DVD-R multisession disks beautifully, but I'd sure like the DV-420v to do the same -- maybe with a different approach to multisession than Nero uses, or perhaps by fooling the 420 with a book-type change or something.

On the good side, the 420 does an outstanding job handling DVD-RW multisession disks, something the Panny S43 really chokes on. I probably will have to end up copying my old DVD-R multisessions using single-session disk-at-once burning. The superior quality of the 420's picture certainly makes it worth it. I'm still astounded by the 420's performance with Xvids -- especially the lack of blocking artifacts.
post #180 of 436
I guess I missed what you meant by muti-session discs. Do you mean adding files to an open dvd-r disc that already contains files? If so, I've never done that and couldn't help you out with that at all.
Or are you talking about burning avi's as data discs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › The Pioneer DV-420V Owner's Thread