or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Gran Turismo 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gran Turismo 5 - Page 102

post #3031 of 3784
Hey all,

I've been enjoying GT5 since the first day it came out. Sorry if its been discussed already, but are there machine testing courses in this version? 1/4 mile and top speed like previous GT games had?

Also, I pre-ordered my game from Best Buy and was supposed to be rewarded with some code for a special vehicle. I figured there would be a code inside the box but there wasn't. Anyone know how to get the code for the car?
post #3032 of 3784
My B-spec is level 26 & they are still IDIOTS!
post #3033 of 3784
i know this may sound crazy but i have accumalated 4.3 million was going to buy the nascar car to do that season race and the nascar expert series event, someone had said if you gold all the nascar events you get joey loganos nascar i just have trouble golding every event. Also some of the race cars you need to buy for some of the upper end A series events are rediculously prices is there a certain event that you need complete in the expert series to win one of the race cars.
post #3034 of 3784
Finally picked this up and remembered how much I hate driving with a controller. Must buy wheel.
post #3035 of 3784
My B-spec guy is level 15 and a much better driver than me. I tend to do the A-spec after the B-spec and think "damn, Bob was much smoother than this!".
post #3036 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

My B-spec guy is level 15 and a much better driver than me. I tend to do the A-spec after the B-spec and think "damn, Bob was much smoother than this!".

Ha....same thing I'm thinking right now. B-Spec for money in the game until I buy a wheel, then A-Spec
post #3037 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by madturbosnake View Post

yeah i tried the second series seasonal a spec bonus races, i have been able to all silver and bronze these are a lot tougher to get gold on.

Finally got gold on the Fiat race (just barely). Realized that I could fit a sports air filter and get another 2hp which helped (I think?). Saw some settings online with heavy springs but soft roll bars that seemed to keep the car from squealing its tires in the turns.

Now I'm on the next batch with the Mini, up to 3rd with the leader in sight... but man these challenges are HARD, I was stuck in 5th after several retries.

Basically I'm average at best with this game, I was racing my brother last night, he uses a controller and I have a wheel, and he out drives me so yeah I'm terrible.

(B)oring Spec it just that: boring, its like watching paint dry. My drivers are horrible but I want the credits they earn
post #3038 of 3784
Overall, I am quite happy with this game...but there are a couple things I need to whine about:

1. Why is the 'track' map in the center of the screen for the rally stages? Idiotic. Yeah, I can turn that map off, but...see #3....

2. What's the deal with the sound? Is it that hard to have the engine in the front for front-engined cars, and rear speakers for rear and mid-engined cars?

3. WHY WHY WHY can't the volume of the pace notes be adjusted?

4. This 'twilight racing' is a gimmick to make a race pointlessly difficult. No rational person would race in those conditions, especially in a pricey Ferrari or rally car...

5. No tire choices for karts? Should have hard/med/soft...and wets...

OK, thanks for listening. If you know of some way to fix the sound issues, please post or PM. Thanks and happy new year!!!
post #3039 of 3784
i am loving this game so far... Its like gt3 but a million times better since i have a wheel & pedals! difficulty is just right as well.
post #3040 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus View Post

2. What's the deal with the sound? Is it that hard to have the engine in the front for front-engined cars, and rear speakers for rear and mid-engined cars?

While they did an awesome job with the music, including surround sound mixes; the in game sound is a travesty in this game. There's not even environmental effects, like say, going engine sound or horn sound while through a tunnel. A truck also sounds like a damn civic.

They entire sound team needs to be replaced.

I understand the difficulties in creating custom sounds for 1100 vehicles, but no one would ever expect that. Still, trucks, muscle cars, super charged cars sounding like go karts, lack of environmental effects, ect kill it.
post #3041 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

Finally got gold on the Fiat race (just barely). Realized that I could fit a sports air filter and get another 2hp which helped (I think?). Saw some settings online with heavy springs but soft roll bars that seemed to keep the car from squealing its tires in the turns.

Now I'm on the next batch with the Mini, up to 3rd with the leader in sight... but man these challenges are HARD, I was stuck in 5th after several retries.

Basically I'm average at best with this game, I was racing my brother last night, he uses a controller and I have a wheel, and he out drives me so yeah I'm terrible.

(B)oring Spec it just that: boring, its like watching paint dry. My drivers are horrible but I want the credits they earn


Just wait til you do the last race, its rediculous to race a nascar car on nurmeburg and for 2 laps, 10th place has been my best so far and i have to say it much easier with the racing wheel than with the controller from my experience its too difficult with the controller.
post #3042 of 3784
B spec is tough im only level 2 it is def. boring and my drivers are horrible as well. i like doing the last series of A series but they are even getting tough.
post #3043 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by madturbosnake View Post

B spec is tough im only level 2 it is def. boring and my drivers are horrible as well. i like doing the last series of A series but they are even getting tough.

its gets better with time
post #3044 of 3784
Answers to any question you may have about this game can be found on gtplanet.com. Awesome information in that forum.
post #3045 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

While they did an awesome job with the music, including surround sound mixes; the in game sound is a travesty in this game. There's not even environmental effects, like say, going engine sound or horn sound while through a tunnel. A truck also sounds like a damn civic.

They entire sound team needs to be replaced.

I understand the difficulties in creating custom sounds for 1100 vehicles, but no one would ever expect that. Still, trucks, muscle cars, super charged cars sounding like go karts, lack of environmental effects, ect kill it.

agree there is no reason my 1969 camaro SS should sound like a mother fing honda del sol with a stupid 3" exhaust

I mean seriously... it makes driving the muscle cars NOT FUN

they got the ignition sound when you get in the car... but in game... ho boy its AWFUL
post #3046 of 3784
The knife in the heart of all of this is Sony's pitch early in the PS3's lifecycle how BD would make all the difference in the world and all games would have sound on the PS3 that would be unrivaled on other systems.........and yet the flagship driving game of any system at all falls flat on its face in the sound department. You almost wonder if there is a bug, or if these are stand-in sounds or something.
post #3047 of 3784
it is almost comical how bad the in game sounds are. The original nfs for pc had better sound and tunnel reverberation effects. I still love the game but omfg the engine sounds are bad! They really need to fix them
post #3048 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth tha boss View Post
its gets better with time
ah, no, it doesn't... my cold-headed punk can't drive for ****... I hate that every direction you give to your punk besides slow down makes the driver hotter and takes forever for him to get cold. Also ever-time when I tell him to over take the idiot spins out or does nothing at all. Maybe it would be much more fun if I had access to the website and play it like that but sitting and baby sit that idiot from a couch for 10 laps isn't fun at all.
post #3049 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by madturbosnake View Post
B spec is tough im only level 2 it is def. boring and my drivers are horrible as well. i like doing the last series of A series but they are even getting tough.
It sucks the first few levels. But give him a way overpowered car. hell hop in first very quickly, then just tell him to pace down and go to the bathroom or whatever. least thats what ive found. Some races are much harder but i managed to do probably 2/3rds of the begineer series like that. it helps if youve done most of a-spec since youll have the overpowered cars to begin with
post #3050 of 3784
For your sound fix fire up the Mach 1 Mustang. Its the only car I've found so far that really sounds good and gives my HSU subwoofer a workout. Also look into the sound options, there is a settings for "living room" versus "theater", I assume most people on this forum would (should?) use the theater setting. However in general the sounds are terrible. Along with the AI this has been PolyD's weakness since GT1, they just can't get the cars to sound decent. During GT3's development they showed videos of the audio team sampling sounds of race cars in the pits... so you gotta wonder - did they lose those recordings?

As for the difficult of the Seasonal Bonus races: GTPlanet has the answer - SRF, Skid Recovery Force. Its basically like a switch that gives arcade like handling, people are reporting 3 to 5 second gains in lap times. For now I refuse to use it (feels like cheating) and just keep working on my lines and suspension tweaks. I've shaved another 3 seconds off my Mini Cooper time, and finished a race last night door-to-door with 2nd place. 1st place is only one car length ahead so I need maybe another .2 per lap for the win. Glad there is some challenge to the game because so far A-Spec hasn't caused me any problems, however I'm only at Level 23 and yet to do the Expert Level events.
post #3051 of 3784
I'm still not a fan of Bspec but at least it wins me credits and cars. I look at it like the previous Bspec in GT4, only this time you really should do it since a lot of Bspec won cars I've used in Aspec races.

Level 17 in it right now and have been winning a decent amount of money to feed to my car craze and mod craze. The ZR1 RM is so dominating it makes racing easy. Sadly it's missing the 'I've got big huge balls' sound that raced out vettes have. Not sure if a Z06 tuned out to the max will sound similar to my ZR1 RM. Race vettes in real life sound so powerful. I expected it to sound like my tuned out 69 Camaro but in RM form, the ZR1 sounds good but not really great.
post #3052 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

For your sound fix fire up the Mach 1 Mustang. Its the only car I've found so far that really sounds good and gives my HSU subwoofer a workout. Also look into the sound options, there is a settings for "living room" versus "theater", I assume most people on this forum would (should?) use the theater setting. However in general the sounds are terrible. Along with the AI this has been PolyD's weakness since GT1, they just can't get the cars to sound decent. During GT3's development they showed videos of the audio team sampling sounds of race cars in the pits... so you gotta wonder - did they lose those recordings?

As for the difficult of the Seasonal Bonus races: GTPlanet has the answer - SRF, Skid Recovery Force. Its basically like a switch that gives arcade like handling, people are reporting 3 to 5 second gains in lap times. For now I refuse to use it (feels like cheating) and just keep working on my lines and suspension tweaks. I've shaved another 3 seconds off my Mini Cooper time, and finished a race last night door-to-door with 2nd place. 1st place is only one car length ahead so I need maybe another .2 per lap for the win. Glad there is some challenge to the game because so far A-Spec hasn't caused me any problems, however I'm only at Level 23 and yet to do the Expert Level events.

I'm going to buy and tune up the mach 1 stang. I have a 69 Camaro tuned up pretty good and it sounds like a beast, even with the gear whine of the race tranny.
post #3053 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post

It sucks the first few levels. But give him a way overpowered car. hell hop in first very quickly, then just tell him to pace down and go to the bathroom or whatever. least thats what ive found. Some races are much harder but i managed to do probably 2/3rds of the begineer series like that. it helps if youve done most of a-spec since youll have the overpowered cars to begin with

That's what I did...first few cart special races for cash, then bought the '98 3000GT VR-4 and bought everything for it. Bob crushes the competition.
post #3054 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

The knife in the heart of all of this is Sony's pitch early in the PS3's lifecycle how BD would make all the difference in the world and all games would have sound on the PS3 that would be unrivaled on other systems.........and yet the flagship driving game of any system at all falls flat on its face in the sound department. You almost wonder if there is a bug, or if these are stand-in sounds or something.

Oh look, another post by HR, this time bashing the PS3 audio.

Sorry buddy, but the PS3 has the best audio of the current systems bar none. It's up to developers to support it, and most have while a few don't, but thats a fact.

You can go back to your troll cave now.
post #3055 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Oh look, another post by HR, this time bashing the PS3 audio. Sorry buddy, but the PS3 has the best audio of the current systems bar none. It's up to developers to support it, and most have while a few don't, but thats a fact. You can go back to your troll cave now.

I'm not bashing the PS3, I'm bashing PD for totally dropping the ball on the audio on this game. Its not "it could be better" its actually "this audio sucks". YOu don't hear "Sucks" and "PD" in the same sentences usually.

The fact that Polyphony Digital, arguably Sonys best developer relationship, has paid so little attention to the sound on the PS3's flagship title is the part I referred to as being so bad. Not bashing the PS3, it has lovely sounds.

Of course, this opens Pandoras Box....because then you could say they also did the same with the pop-in 2D track side graphics, etc....and you ultimately wind up with a development group that started out making an automobile photography simulator...and then was reminded they needed to make a game too. I swear GT5 started out life as Afrika For Cars......

Was it really worth it to have so much detail poured into the cars that the rest of the game ultimately suffered........
post #3056 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post

I'm going to buy and tune up the mach 1 stang. I have a 69 Camaro tuned up pretty good and it sounds like a beast, even with the gear whine of the race tranny.

srs question.... Are you deaf? My 69 camaro sounds like a civic and nothing even resembling a v8 engine
post #3057 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

srs question.... Are you deaf? My 69 camaro sounds like a civic and nothing even resembling a v8 engine

Not deaf at all . I have my audio going through my Onkyo receiver and out to Paradigm L/R and center channels (surrounds are not connected in new place yet) with a HSU STF-1 sub. The Camaro is tuned out pretty good and of all the cars I drove in GT5 (referring to the V8 ones) don't sound anything like they do in real life (and I say this from my experience of going to LMS/ALMS race events). My tuned 69 Camaro isn't perfect replication of what I've heard over youtube, TV, the web and real life of similar tuned out Camaros but it sounds pretty damn good with the 'I have big massive balls' sound even with the loud gear whine of a race tranny. It's not RM either, not yet at least. Definitely not like a Civic. Is yours tuned up yet? My ZR1 RM sound however.... disappointing isn't even the word
I specifically recall the first time I heard a C6R vette flying by me in 2007 at Le Mans. The ZR1 RM sounds nothing like it and my tuned Camaro's grunt actually sounds closer. I'm wondering if a tuned out Z06 would sound closer but judging by the ZR1 RM, it might not even be close. The more low end cars also don't sound like they do in real life. Not my vtec equipped Hondas (can't hear vtec kickin in yo), not my boxer engine equipped subbies, not my VR equipped VWs, not even the R32 sounds like it does in real life. Although not perfect, Forza does it better. Really was hoping that the audio from cars was much better in GT5 and overall it's kind of disappointing.
post #3058 of 3784
I think in reality the PS3's audio output for this game is just so damned good that our inferior low-definition hearing is to blame.
post #3059 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Was it really worth it to have so much detail poured into the cars that the rest of the game ultimately suffered.

Another GT / PD trademark, when all else fails its eye candy for the win. GT3 was a prime example of this, that game was all show and no go. So much so I skipped GT4 since it was just more of the same, except with B-Spec tacked on

However, with that said... the handling of the cars in GT5 is awesome, the game "feels" great They got plenty of things wrong (UI, audio, AI, etc.) but the core driving simulator part is very, very good. And isn't that the whole point of the game?
post #3060 of 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

Another GT / PD trademark, when all else fails its eye candy for the win. GT3 was a prime example of this, that game was all show and no go. So much so I skipped GT4 since it was just more of the same, except with B-Spec tacked on

However, with that said... the handling of the cars in GT5 is awesome, the game "feels" great They got plenty of things wrong (UI, audio, AI, etc.) but the core driving simulator part is very, very good. And isn't that the whole point of the game?

Absolutely, its just out of balance.....they did put the math to excellent use when it comes to making you believe you are driving a car, particularly with a good FF wheel. Not sure how that translates to a pad. I could never play the GT games with a pad anyhow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Gran Turismo 5