or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Car Audio, Video, and Nav › Kenwood DNX-6140 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kenwood DNX-6140 Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 565
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCarter View Post

Daggar, you can display the clock in nav mode, at least I can on my 7140, I dont remember exactly where but in the nav setup pages there is an option for more or less data, it brings up a column on the right hand side with more info i.e. time of arrival, speed, ect. you can then click on one of those data blocks and there is an option to display actual time.

I love my 7140 almost got the 6140 but this thing is awesome.

Patrick

Thanks!!! I'll definitely have to look for that. That's one of the "few" annoyances I have with this unit and definitely the biggest.
post #62 of 565
Here's some installed pics.



post #63 of 565
If I'm reading the owner manuel correctly this unit is supposed to display pictures. I've tried pictures on usb and disk and it doesn't recognize them. They have jpg extensions. Do they have to be in the root directory or in a specifically named folder? Any ideas?
post #64 of 565
So.. I have a few questions/comments.. maybe some of you have figured out.

1).. I can't actually figure out how to lower the dang GPS voice.

2).. I have an alpine overhead unit.. and the place that installed both, did nothing to wire them together.. anyone know if this is possible.. I saw the original post about being able to "pseudo" control the overhead via the head unit... woluld be great just to be able to pause/play.

And unless the install place screwed up hah.. I havae 1 page of GPS instructions and no seperate manual.. nothing!

did any of you get a manual just about the embedded garmin?
post #65 of 565
Has anyone managed to contact a laptop to the head unit? The DNX 6140 has a female USB connector (as does the laptop) so I purchased a male-male cable. However the Mapsource program on the laptop does not recognise the head unit. Any suggestions how to resolve this?
post #66 of 565
My Bluetooth woes continue. Maybe the firmware update to my phone wasn't that great after all; phone's been giving me issues now but that's another story.

I'll pair the phone to the head unit...and it'll successfully connect a few times, then it won't connect anymore. I end up having to repair to get it to recognize. Guess they just aren't totally compatible.
post #67 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kev View Post

Has anyone managed to contact a laptop to the head unit? The DNX 6140 has a female USB connector (as does the laptop) so I purchased a male-male cable. However the Mapsource program on the laptop does not recognise the head unit. Any suggestions how to resolve this?

Do you see the garmin USB device on the laptop hardware menu when it's connected? Does the NAV have selection for GARMIN/USB MASS STORAGE? I can't seem to get mapsource to see my device either sometimes but the POI installer works just fine.
post #68 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

Do you see the garmin USB device on the laptop hardware menu when it's connected? Does the NAV have selection for GARMIN/USB MASS STORAGE? I can't seem to get mapsource to see my device either sometimes but the POI installer works just fine.

No the USB device is not detected when connected to the laptop. How did you make the connection? Did you use an off-the-shelf male to male USB cable? I couldn't find and reference to Garmin/USB mass storage on the head unit.

I have the impression that the POI feed uses a different protocol.
post #69 of 565
Can you simultaneously play a DVD out to a separate screen (for the kids in the back seat) while listening to XM (or another source) over the car speakers?

Thanks!

Sean
post #70 of 565
Has anyone found out how to alter the volume of the GPS?

I am pretty sure I looked everywhere.. I can't find it.

I checked the manual for the kenwood 510 unit.. and it mentions a volume control being on the Main screen...

I have just Tools and Settings
post #71 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kev View Post

No the USB device is not detected when connected to the laptop. How did you make the connection? Did you use an off-the-shelf male to male USB cable? I couldn't find and reference to Garmin/USB mass storage on the head unit.

I have the impression that the POI feed uses a different protocol.

It looks maybe like the 6140 is upgradeable only thru the DVD. I have the kna-g510 add on.
post #72 of 565
A quick question ,I saw the picture of this unit from sonix website ,there is a "Digital Out" toslink output on the backside ,is it functional ? A kenwood distributor in CA claims they are running 6140 with Audison bit one ,but Kenwood customer service told me otherwise when I called them.
post #73 of 565
I'm trying to watch a video from my video ipod,but it just displays a black screen.What settings do i need to check?
post #74 of 565
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer32 View Post

Can you simultaneously play a DVD out to a separate screen (for the kids in the back seat) while listening to XM (or another source) over the car speakers?

Thanks!

Sean


Yes, you can. I've got ours setup so that we can display the movie from the head unit to the roof mounted display/DVD we have for the kids in the back. Just use the video out on the head unit and go to one any of the video inputs on your second device. I can also watch whatever the kids are watching when they play a dvd in the rear. I'm using the back-up camera input for that and am running the sound through the stereo using the built-in FM xmitter on the DVD unit.
post #75 of 565
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by C64 View Post

I'm trying to watch a video from my video ipod,but it just displays a black screen.What settings do i need to check?


The first thing I would check is the cable for the ipod. There are a few different "flavors" of cable. You need to ensure that the one you have is SPECIFICALLY for xmitting video.

My guess is that the cable you're currently running is for audio only.
post #76 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post

So.. I have a few questions/comments.. maybe some of you have figured out.

1).. I can't actually figure out how to lower the dang GPS voice.

Setup
AV Interface
Page 3
Nav voice volume 0-35
post #77 of 565
Great unit, but one thing I don't like... (or can't figure out)

- I can't figure out how to make the iPod stop when you select another source (Tuner, Sirius). If you pause the iPod, it will resume playing when you go to another source. You can't even pause it on the actual iPod itself. It's annoying because it's playing while you're not listening.

Also, it's bright at night. I don't know if I didn't hook up the dimmer wire, thinking maybe it would dim at night???
post #78 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellogt View Post

Great unit, but one thing I don't like... (or can't figure out)

- I can't figure out how to make the iPod stop when you select another source (Tuner, Sirius). If you pause the iPod, it will resume playing when you go to another source. You can't even pause it on the actual iPod itself. It's annoying because it's playing while you're not listening.

Also, it's bright at night. I don't know if I didn't hook up the dimmer wire, thinking maybe it would dim at night???

I don't know about the iPod but the unit can be set for multiple display settings. One is called "DIM". Not sure if that helps you or not? There is also a dimmer wire you can hook up to your lights or your variable dimmer from your dash lights. I'm not sure which way this deck works.

Under Setup, go to Monitor Settings. First page you can choose the different settings and alter them seperately.
post #79 of 565
A bit more of an update with my Bluetooth "ordeal."

My phone was acting up ever since I had it's firmware updated a few weeks ago, so I went by the store to see what they could do. They ended up just swapping the phone for me...same model, just a fresher device.

So far things seem to be working well. I'll know for sure in a week or so because that's about how long the previous unit lasted before it started acting strange.

I can once again pair my phone via Bluetooth to the 6140 and all works well. Full results should be seen next week.
post #80 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

It looks maybe like the 6140 is upgradeable only thru the DVD. I have the kna-g510 add on.

When you say above that you tried a USB male to male because both the PC and the unit have the same connector, I think that this is a clue that you are plugging the wrong place. There is a mini USB socket on the back panel that is shown in the manual to be for the traffic receiver, but it is possible that this is the connector that you would use because the portable units use the same mini for both the traffic unit and data interface, so I am going to give it a shot soon myself, maybe that will work.
post #81 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman34 View Post

When you say above that you tried a USB male to male because both the PC and the unit have the same connector, I think that this is a clue that you are plugging the wrong place. There is a mini USB socket on the back panel that is shown in the manual to be for the traffic receiver, but it is possible that this is the connector that you would use because the portable units use the same mini for both the traffic unit and data interface, so I am going to give it a shot soon myself, maybe that will work.

The mini usb is the connector I would try also. The traffic receiver connects to my unit (KNA-G510) via the mini usb and it also works with the laptop to up/download files. (voice files, maps , POI files)
post #82 of 565
Mine came with the 2009 map set since I just got it a few months ago and Kenwood/Garmin have no update to the new 2010 map set for it. I myself have serveral Garmins at my disposal, some street pilots, nuvi, and even running Mobile XT on my UTStarcomm XV6800 on Verizon and have downloaded the 2009 and the 2010 map sets. I have unlocked them such that they are no longer dependant on the unit ID so that they would load up in all these different units (Just because I like to play with things), and since the map set in our Kenwood says "City Navigator NT 2009" I am going to figure that the GPSUPP file that is created and uploaded to all other Garmin units could be put in our Kenwood units file system and it should work fine. All I do in a Garmin now is rename the GPSUPP file to choose map sets in Mobile XT since it does not allow me to choose from a menu. So soon I will see if I can reach around and plug in the mini USB and get into the file system or maybe even Map Source will recognize the Kenwood's Garmin core and let me update the map set just like any other Garmin, hey it sees my phone as a garmin and the only thing Garmin about it is the Mobile XT software running on it so maybe ????
post #83 of 565
For those of you who are having difficulty with the bluetooth still on the 6140 (or any others), Kenwood has already done an update for it (May 19th, 2009).

The site won't allow me to post the url, so the directions are as follows
1. Go to Kenwood's site.
2. Click Support.
3. Click "Technical & Firmware/Software Downloads"
4. Click "About the Bluetooth module firmware updater"
5. Follow the steps to select your unit and phone.
6. Download update at bottom of page.

Ironic thing is, it updates via bluetooth.....


And now for my question:

I'm getting ready to purchase a DNX 6140 and am curious about the possible interaction between it and my Iphone. I listen to streaming audio as I drive using the Aux port on my current stereo system. I know it the 6140 an Aux port on the front, so I'm not worried about that, but am interested in how it would work with the Ipod cable, or, with A2DP coming soon, would it be able to work with that?

If any of you have a smart phone capable of doing anything like Pandora or Slacker Radio and have the 6140, would you mind trying it out over the A2DP? Same goes for anyone with an Iphone and the Ipod cable.
post #84 of 565
Thread Starter 
I've used the A2DP with my 700wx but not with any of the software you've listed above. It seems to work just fine. I'm able to stream audio via BT to the head unit.

As for your Iphone, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the cable is definitely the way to go. We us my wife's Ipod touch through the cable and it are able to control the basic play back functions etc. from the head unit. You can of course, still run control from the ipod as well. So if your significant other wants to browse while you drive, it works out well.
post #85 of 565
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larienn View Post

For those of you who are having difficulty with the bluetooth still on the 6140 (or any others), Kenwood has already done an update for it (May 19th, 2009).

The site won't allow me to post the url, so the directions are as follows
1. Go to Kenwood's site.
2. Click Support.
3. Click "Technical & Firmware/Software Downloads"
4. Click "About the Bluetooth module firmware updater"
5. Follow the steps to select your unit and phone.
6. Download update at bottom of page.

Ironic thing is, it updates via bluetooth.....


And now for my question:

I'm getting ready to purchase a DNX 6140 and am curious about the possible interaction between it and my Iphone. I listen to streaming audio as I drive using the Aux port on my current stereo system. I know it the 6140 an Aux port on the front, so I'm not worried about that, but am interested in how it would work with the Ipod cable, or, with A2DP coming soon, would it be able to work with that?

If any of you have a smart phone capable of doing anything like Pandora or Slacker Radio and have the 6140, would you mind trying it out over the A2DP? Same goes for anyone with an Iphone and the Ipod cable.

Good post but I think the 6140 comes with BT firmware version 1.70. As far as I can tell, that's the most recent version available.
post #86 of 565
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCarter View Post

Daggar, you can display the clock in nav mode, at least I can on my 7140, I dont remember exactly where but in the nav setup pages there is an option for more or less data, it brings up a column on the right hand side with more info i.e. time of arrival, speed, ect. you can then click on one of those data blocks and there is an option to display actual time.

I love my 7140 almost got the 6140 but this thing is awesome.

Patrick

Well I looked around for this and sure enough, the nav will display the current time EXCEPT for when you have the nav mapping a destination for you. When it's actually providing you a driving path, it displays your arrival time so I'm still out a current real time display when using the nav. I would like for it to display both but cannot find a way.
post #87 of 565
Finally tracked down my reverse wire in my 93 4Runner. All connected now for automatically switching to rear view.

I also have my dual battery all connected through a constant/heavy duty solenoid. Solenoid switch is controlled by my ignition so that the stereo head unit and amps don’t draw on my engine battery while chillin at car and truck shows.
post #88 of 565
When I speak to someone using bluetooth there is a horrible echo when they speak. It is making this feature almost worthless. Did I install the 6140 incorrectly? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
post #89 of 565
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC View Post

When I speak to someone using bluetooth there is a horrible echo when they speak. It is making this feature almost worthless. Did I install the 6140 incorrectly? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?


I would try deleting all BT devices from the 6140 and re-pairing. Soft boot the phone as well.
post #90 of 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggar View Post

I would try deleting all BT devices from the 6140 and re-pairing. Soft boot the phone as well.

This worked! Thank you.

So, the academic question is why would that work? (Not that I am complaining).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Car Audio, Video, and Nav
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Car Audio, Video, and Nav › Kenwood DNX-6140 Thread