or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings - Page 8

post #211 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Well, now that I've had a chance to see the photos on a decent monitor, I can say without a doubt that my plasma looks nothing like the #2 photos. I don't have the red tint, the fuzzy picture, the lack of "pop" as seen in the #2 photos. Mine has neutral greys, a very clear picture, and good shadow detail while maintaining good dynamics.

I'm surprised that some see such a large "degradation" in Movie, warm 2 mode.

Either there is significant unit to unit variation with these plasmas, or dallows camera is having a major impact on the orignal image. My guess is that dallows B450 just doesn't calibrate the same as mine. If this is true, then it is a major bummer since our settings won't be universal.

I will take photos of my settings, on my plasma, and once I post them, we can discuss further.

dallows, if you are using my settings, change the gamma to -1, like you have in your standard mode, and it may help significanly with any "cloudy" look you may be seeing.

Dan

Well at least I feel a bit better now that I'm not insane. I don't think it's the camera as they're fairly close to what I see on the display. If anything it helped a little, haha.

Last night I tried a couple resets including a factory reset (I'm almost afraid now that the standard calibrated image isn't like it was, but that could just be me or the channels I was watching - didn't use blu-ray yet), but it didn't improve the movie mode.

The image looked basically the same even after using a calibration disc, so I'm pretty sure it's something with the panel, maybe in the service menu (if there are even more controls there).

I might try to hit up Samsung support to see if they can shed any light. While I know there can be differences even within the same model line, I don't know if they should be as drastic.

Dan, I've tried messing with the gamma as well, didn't really do much.

Thanks guys.
post #212 of 1471
dallows;

Sorry to see that the issues persist. I know that with some of the tv programs in movie mode warm2 the brownish background is troublesome. What I cannot understand is the the difference in focus or clarity between your two modes.

I checked upon the FAQ's for your model on Samsung's USA site but there is little there that can help. I hope that direct communication with them will solve this issue quickly in your favor even if it means an exchange.

Best of luck, and am looking forward to some better news.
post #213 of 1471
stereomandan what is your tv's version # its on the rightside under sn# mines sk08. Just wondering because dallows is different then mine and my tvs pq from the sound of it looks just like yours. Maybe that has something to do with it
post #214 of 1471
Blew up my settings for watching HD channels. Going with the Standard Mode, may still be a work in progress. Ordered Digital Video Essentials from Amazon Canada, getting it in a week. Blue-ray settings will certainly be a work in progress.

I feel better.

Source HDMI/DVI (Television)

Mode = Standard
Cell Light = 8
Contrast = 62
Brightness = 38
Sharpness = 20
Color = 44
Tint = G46/R54


Black Tone = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma = 0
Color Space = Native
White Balance = Default
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = Off


Color Tone = Normal
Size = 16:9
Digital NR = Off
HDMI Black Level = Normal
post #215 of 1471
So here are some screen shots of The Dark Knight, using my calibration settings from post #86. Sorry about the "screen door" look to the pictures. It is not really in the picture. It is a Moire affect from the mismatch in the resolution of my camera, versus the resolution of the TV.

I simply resized these pictures, that's it. The camera is a little point and shoot Samsung S860 8MP set to auto mode, auto color temp, with the flash off. Looks pretty close to what I see on my screen. A couple of the shots are a little overexposed it looks, but still close. I wish my old 2MP Canon A60 didn't die, because I could get that thing to match what I see on the screen almost excatly.



















Dan
post #216 of 1471
Thanks for posting the shots Dan. That's just about what I see in Standard. Movie looks nothing close to it.

I still plan to contact Samsung this weekend and see what they have to say.
post #217 of 1471
I just noticed after looking at all of your pictures that when i play blu rays on my screen through a ps3 there are still black bars on the top and bottom how do i get them to go away...

Thanks so much.
post #218 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoyle55 View Post

I just noticed after looking at all of your pictures that when i play blu rays on my screen through a ps3 there are still black bars on the top and bottom how do i get them to go away...

Thanks so much.

Please read my post from this page....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...693&highlight=
post #219 of 1471
Nice pictures Dan, those are bout what my tv look like using your settings, beautiful. Oh by the way did you ever find out your version# for me?
post #220 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

Nice pictures Dan, those are bout what my tv look like using your settings, beautiful. Oh by the way did you ever find out your version# for me?

Thanks kanpol. Mine is SC04, and it was manufactured in March 09. I did download and install the latest firmware, but it made no difference to the calibration.

Dan
post #221 of 1471
well so much for that therory, Dallows version# is the same as yours sc04 but i believe his was april 09. mine is sk08 and april 09. I thought maybe ours were the same and dallows was different but not the case. hey dan in last years model we were able to do custom color space like the 650 and above this year. so I'm wondering if there is something in service menu to activate the CSM on our model. No idea why they would do that to this years model, maybe to cut cost. That was a very good feature. You know how in your calibration certain colors are a little off, if we had that I know you would get them spot on
post #222 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpol View Post

hey dan in last years model we were able to do custom color space like the 650 and above this year. so I'm wondering if there is something in service menu to activate the CSM on our model. No idea why they would do that to this years model, maybe to cut cost. That was a very good feature. You know how in your calibration certain colors are a little off, if we had that I know you would get them spot on

If I had that, I KNOW I could get them spot on. My Epson 1080UB projector has full CMS control, and I'm able to tweak that thing to near perfection. To be honest, this PN42B450 is my casual TV for the kids and family every day watching. If someone is able to go into the service menu and figure out the locations for previous years full CMS control, I'll be glad to check it out and calibrate. I just don't have the time (or desire with all my other hobbies and priorities) to go check it out.

Dan
post #223 of 1471
Whats your opinion on that dan, do you think the cms is a software thingy or a hardware thingy. I'll give it a shot at least look for it in the service menu. I remember seeing something that said gamma but never hit it. I know thats not it but what do you think that does or is for. I know you have the colors near perfect but can the human eye detect the difference that its off or is it just something that you know is off but you cant really tell besides from the instraments
post #224 of 1471
Hey is there a lot of input lag on this set? If no one knows could one of you guys that own it do an input lag test.
post #225 of 1471
I have the 50b430 and ps3 as blu-ray player. Is it possible to zoom 2.35:1 ar movies to fit whole screen while keeping ar (i.e. cut off sides of movie). Seems the Sammy zoom modes' only way to fill screen is a vertical stretch.
post #226 of 1471
I put in a ticket to Samsung about my TV to see if they thing it's normal or what, but no response yet.

I'll keep you guys posted.
post #227 of 1471
Seeing as there doesn't appear to be an official B450 thread and I don't want to make a new thread just to ask this question, I'm just gonna post my question here.

Can someone tell me how wide the base is on the PN50B450?
post #228 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

seeing as there doesn't appear to be an official b450 thread and i don't want to make a new thread just to ask this question, i'm just gonna post my question here.

Can someone tell me how wide the base is on the pn50b450?

26-1/8"
post #229 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax gates View Post

26-1/8"

Thank you.
post #230 of 1471
Can someone post pictures of some xbox 360 in action? COD4 and Halo 3 if any of you guys have it.
post #231 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfacekilla View Post

Can someone post pictures of some xbox 360 in action? COD4 and Halo 3 if any of you guys have it.

I can post some Fable 2 pics later. That's the only game I have right now... that and Ghostbusters (which looks pretty good actually)
post #232 of 1471
After about 3 years of waiting for just the right set of circumstances, I'm anxiously awaiting Saturday delivery of my 50b450. Can't wait to test out some of the settings here.

I'd also like to submit my vote that we turn this into an owner's forum.
post #233 of 1471
I bought the 42" model about ten days ago when Fry's had it on a one-day sale for $599. I was impressed by how vivid the colors were on things like David Letterman's set, and by how crisp and detailed the overall image was on an episode of "America's Got Talent" (it is taped in a theater setting which is very visually complex, and which is lit up like a Christmas tree), but anytime I looked at a ball game or golf match or anything with grass, the green was like Day-Glo paint, and skin tones in most programming were very odd looking (almost like embalmed corpses or Wax Museum figures). I was considering returning the set and getting an LED model instead, but I found this thread through a Google search.

I gave Dan's settings from post #86 a try, and I am now much happier with the unit. The colors seem to be very well balanced, and skin tones are much improved. Thanks for taking the time to do the calibration and post the settings, Dan.

I do occasionally have the impression that there is a very slight muted, brown-gray overlay, somewhat like a much less exaggerated version of what polarized sunglasses make things look like. (I remember noticing this in particular in a car race telecast that had a lot of long shots with lots of blue sky/white clouds in the picture.) Is there likely to be any change in the picture with more hours of use (I am just putting the set to normal use, not doing anything special to "break it in"), or is there a particular one of Dan's settings that might be tweaked to eliminate this overlay, but without messing everything else up?

(I'm basing most of my impressions on watching over-the-air network TV HD broadcasting. I have an old, cheap DVD player and an even older Dish TV box; I need to upgrade both.)

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far.

HP
post #234 of 1471
I figure it's time to update now that I have used the Digital Video Essentials 'kit'. As it turns out, there is NO way that my settings considered for watching Blu-Ray can be used for HDTV viewing, IMPOSSIBLE. Nowhere close. So the mindset I must have is to try to get the Blu-Ray viewing to BE correct, as near as I can, and HDTV viewing to LOOK correct, completely by eyeballing for this mode.

I have not tried an actual Blu-Ray movie yet as I had only completed my settings last night, but I will post the settings for both modes anyway. Just to add, this has been a remarkable thread, filled with great ideas, and intended to help each other out. Thanks everyone as well for keeping it both instructive and interesting.

Source HDMI/DVI (Television)

Mode = Standard
Cell Light = 8
Contrast = 66
Brightness = 39
Sharpness = 0
Color = 44
Tint = G46/R54


Black Tone = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma = 0
Color Space = Native
White Balance = Default
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = Off


Color Tone = Normal
Size = 16:9
Digital NR = Auto
HDMI Black Level = Normal
--------------------------
Source HDMI (Blu-Ray)

Mode = Movie
Cell Light = 8
Contrast = 95
Brightness = 54
Sharpness = 0
Color = 46
Tint = G45/R55


Black Tone = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma = 0
Color Space = Native
White Balance = Default
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = Off


Color Tone = Warm2
Size = 16:9
Digital NR = Off
HDMI Black Level = Low


A feature I would love to have working correctly is the Dynamic Contrast. Too bad it takes flesh tones with it when it kicks in. If it left them alone the display would really be exciting. In return though I have noticed that by engaging the 'Black Tone' at its lowest level the user can afford to have a brighter picture, which in turn allows a modest increase in the 'Color' settings. So I guess one can have it both ways sometimes.
post #235 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Patel View Post

I bought the 42" model about ten days ago when Fry's had it on a one-day sale for $599. I was impressed by how vivid the colors were on things like David Letterman's set, and by how crisp and detailed the overall image was on an episode of "America's Got Talent" (it is taped in a theater setting which is very visually complex, and which is lit up like a Christmas tree), but anytime I looked at a ball game or golf match or anything with grass, the green was like Day-Glo paint, and skin tones in most programming were very odd looking (almost like embalmed corpses or Wax Museum figures). I was considering returning the set and getting an LED model instead, but I found this thread through a Google search.

I gave Dan's settings from post #86 a try, and I am now much happier with the unit. The colors seem to be very well balanced, and skin tones are much improved. Thanks for taking the time to do the calibration and post the settings, Dan.

I do occasionally have the impression that there is a very slight muted, brown-gray overlay, somewhat like a much less exaggerated version of what polarized sunglasses make things look like. (I remember noticing this in particular in a car race telecast that had a lot of long shots with lots of blue sky/white clouds in the picture.) Is there likely to be any change in the picture with more hours of use (I am just putting the set to normal use, not doing anything special to "break it in"), or is there a particular one of Dan's settings that might be tweaked to eliminate this overlay, but without messing everything else up?

(I'm basing most of my impressions on watching over-the-air network TV HD broadcasting. I have an old, cheap DVD player and an even older Dish TV box; I need to upgrade both.)

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far.

HP

One quick thing I can say is that it's hard to judge based on regular tv viewing. Even HD channels. I noticed it can vary a bit between channels and shows, etc.

You need to get yourself a blu-ray player now to really show off the set.
post #236 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

Thanks for posting the shots Dan. That's just about what I see in Standard. Movie looks nothing close to it.

I have a possibly similar issue on my a450, the previous generation of this set: I've gone back and forth many times between Standard and Movie modes, and Standard is clearly more natural. Movie mode using Warm2 is yellowish and ugly. I have read hundreds of postings in the a450 calibration threads (as well as all of this thread), and while a minority of users report this yellowish cast in Movie/Warm2, most people don't see that, and get their best pictures with the Movie/Warm2 setting.

So my theory is that there is substantial variation among individual sets in the a450/b450 series. For most people, Movie mode gives best results, but a few of us have sets that need to be in Standard mode.

I won't get my b450 delivered for a week, and when it comes, I expect the usual Movie/Warm2 setting to work best, probably, but I sure am going to try Standard, as well.
post #237 of 1471
Still no word fro Samsung. Bastards.
post #238 of 1471
Dallows if you have a ticket#, call this number 1-800-522-7341 then hit 2. Its Samsungs ECR. Then ask them whats going on with your ticket, also you can have them transfer you to tech support
post #239 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Patel View Post

Is there likely to be any change in the picture with more hours of use (I am just putting the set to normal use, not doing anything special to "break it in"), or is there a particular one of Dan's settings that might be tweaked to eliminate this overlay, but without messing everything else up?

(I'm basing most of my impressions on watching over-the-air network TV HD broadcasting. I have an old, cheap DVD player and an even older Dish TV box; I need to upgrade both.)

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far.

HP

If you have a brown overlay, you may want to reduce your R-gain and R-Offset a couple of notches to see if it improves. Or you can bump up the B-Gain and B-offset to see if that helps.

Yes, the TV does change slightly with age. I'll provide an updated calibration soon, now that I must have 1000+ hours on the set.

Dan
post #240 of 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

If you have a brown overlay, you may want to reduce your R-gain and R-Offset a couple of notches to see if it improves. Or you can bump up the B-Gain and B-offset to see if that helps.

Yes, the TV does change slightly with age. I'll provide an updated calibration soon, now that I must have 1000+ hours on the set.

Dan

I'll be eagerly awaiting your update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings