or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings - Page 9

post #241 of 1469
My set arrived today and looks fantastic! Dan, your settings (with very minor tweaking) look gorgeous. I'm only running in cable HD right now. Can't wait to see DVD and BluRay
post #242 of 1469
Post your settings
post #243 of 1469
I'm out of town for the week, but I'll post the settings when I get back. In the meantime, does anyone know the code to use a universal remote with this panel?
post #244 of 1469
What settings should my TV be on for the first 100 hours? Trying to break it in since I will be gaming on it.
post #245 of 1469
I've tried Dan's settings, but also dont look good on my display. Everything has yellow tint, and picture dont look sharp.

I dont have any calibrating discs/equipment so have to trust my eyes. Played around with contrast/brightness/colour/tint, but on all settings the yellows seems to bright, green also (your eye will keep on catching yellow objects while watching movie. How do I change/adjust this?

Use Ps3 as BD player.
post #246 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonb View Post

I've tried Dan's settings, but also dont look good on my display. Everything has yellow tint, and picture dont look sharp.

I dont have any calibrating discs/equipment so have to trust my eyes. Played around with contrast/brightness/colour/tint, but on all settings the yellows seems to bright, green also (your eye will keep on catching yellow objects while watching movie. How do I change/adjust this?

Use Ps3 as BD player.

I use these because I think we're experiencing the same thing in Movie/Warm2 mode.

I still have no idea how to calibrate contrast, lol.

Standard Mode - Calibrated using combo DVE and AVSHD Disc
Cell Light = 10
Contrast = 70
Brightness = 47
Sharpness = 50
Color = 40
Tint = G47/R53

Black Tone = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Medium
Gamma = -1
Color Space = Auto
White Balance = Default
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = Off
post #247 of 1469
Help! I'm not getting sound through HDMI. I have tried all three ports and on each one I am only getting picture without sound. I even tried hooking up a different cable box and used a different HDMI cable and still no luck. My cable box is a Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC box.

So for right now I'm using component cables until someone can help me figure this out or if I need to get a brand new set.
post #248 of 1469
ghostfacekilla I found this link it might help, maybe

http://www.highdefforum.com/high-def...und-issue.html

I googled "Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC box no sound hdmi". give it a try you might find something that way, just in case none of us here have your cable box. I have DirectTV sorry
post #249 of 1469
Thanks for your help but I found that site as well using google and it didn't really help out at all. I made sure the sound was set to HDMI on my cable box and nothing happened.
post #250 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonb View Post

I've tried Dan's settings, but also dont look good on my display. Everything has yellow tint, and picture dont look sharp.

I dont have any calibrating discs/equipment so have to trust my eyes. Played around with contrast/brightness/colour/tint, but on all settings the yellows seems to bright, green also (your eye will keep on catching yellow objects while watching movie. How do I change/adjust this?

Use Ps3 as BD player.

Must be unit to unit variation. There really should be no difference in sharpness from movie mode to standard mode, but I do notice excess edge enhancement at a setting of 50. 20 works well for me. Make sure you aren't seeing an overly sharpened image with the default of 50 in the standard mode. I think the default is 20 in movie mode.

What are your white balance settings for green? Reducing the color setting a couple of notches may help your problem a little.

Dan
post #251 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonb View Post

I've tried Dan's settings, but also dont look good on my display. Everything has yellow tint, and picture dont look sharp.

I dont have any calibrating discs/equipment so have to trust my eyes. Played around with contrast/brightness/colour/tint, but on all settings the yellows seems to bright, green also (your eye will keep on catching yellow objects while watching movie. How do I change/adjust this?

Use Ps3 as BD player.

Does your display look like the #2 pics in my previous post? Check it out a page back or two. If you're seeing that. There's no fix I'm aware of. I'm still trying to get a hold of Samsung to see if they can shed any light.
post #252 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Patel View Post

I bought the 42" model about ten days ago when Fry's had it on a one-day sale for $599. I was impressed by how vivid the colors were on things like David Letterman's set, and by how crisp and detailed the overall image was on an episode of "America's Got Talent" (it is taped in a theater setting which is very visually complex, and which is lit up like a Christmas tree), but anytime I looked at a ball game or golf match or anything with grass, the green was like Day-Glo paint, and skin tones in most programming were very odd looking (almost like embalmed corpses or Wax Museum figures). I was considering returning the set and getting an LED model instead, but I found this thread through a Google search.

I gave Dan's settings from post #86 a try, and I am now much happier with the unit. The colors seem to be very well balanced, and skin tones are much improved. Thanks for taking the time to do the calibration and post the settings, Dan.

I do occasionally have the impression that there is a very slight muted, brown-gray overlay, somewhat like a much less exaggerated version of what polarized sunglasses make things look like. (I remember noticing this in particular in a car race telecast that had a lot of long shots with lots of blue sky/white clouds in the picture.) Is there likely to be any change in the picture with more hours of use (I am just putting the set to normal use, not doing anything special to "break it in"), or is there a particular one of Dan's settings that might be tweaked to eliminate this overlay, but without messing everything else up?

(I'm basing most of my impressions on watching over-the-air network TV HD broadcasting. I have an old, cheap DVD player and an even older Dish TV box; I need to upgrade both.)

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far.

HP

You might try the dynamic contrast to 'low'...I wouldn't use anything but 'off' but that will take away the slight film-look you are seeing.

Got my parents 50b450 calibrated sunday.
I don't have time to type everything out, but Dan's settings were a fantastic starting point and there set was only slightly different post claibration.
I will be back with write-up soon.
post #253 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

You might try the dynamic contrast to 'low'...I wouldn't use anything but 'off' but that will take away the slight film-look you are seeing.

Got my parents 50b450 calibrated sunday.
I don't have time to type everything out, but Dan's settings were a fantastic starting point and there set was only slightly different post claibration.
I will be back with write-up soon.

waiting
post #254 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfacekilla View Post

Help! I'm not getting sound through HDMI. I have tried all three ports and on each one I am only getting picture without sound. I even tried hooking up a different cable box and used a different HDMI cable and still no luck. My cable box is a Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC box.

So for right now I'm using component cables until someone can help me figure this out or if I need to get a brand new set.


anyone?
post #255 of 1469
ghostfacekilla do you have anything else that you can try your hdmi on, like BR/ ps3 / dvd. To see if you get volume, at least that way we can figure out if its just your cable box or tv itself.
post #256 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

I use these because I think we're experiencing the same thing in Movie/Warm2 mode.

I still have no idea how to calibrate contrast, lol.

Standard Mode - Calibrated using combo DVE and AVSHD Disc
Cell Light = 10
Contrast = 70
Brightness = 47
Sharpness = 50
Color = 40
Tint = G47/R53

Black Tone = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Medium
Gamma = -1
Color Space = Auto
White Balance = Default
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = Off

Hi dallows,

I've checked out your pictures. Mine with Dan's calibration does not look the same as yours. Where you get a reddish tint, mine are more yellowish and got a haze.

I' dont really know the theory on calibrating the White Balance, but on standard (all 25) it seems as if yellow/green/pink colours "pop" more that the other colours. My eye will "pick up" these colors more during a movie (almost neon like), than e.g blue/red,

With my color setting lower, it seems I'm getting more control over these colours. Currently on 35.

Will try to get some pics when I have a chance.
post #257 of 1469
Hi....I just bought this TV last Sunday.

It's advertised as 600Hz, but everytime I change my input (antenna, dvd, satellite), I get a popup window that says 720@60Hz.

Is that because the programming can only be displayed at 60Hz?

Am I missing something? I noticed last night while watching a concert DVD that the picture was not very smooth.

Thanks.
post #258 of 1469
600 hz is just the reaction time of the pixels, and the higher the better for fast motion to reduce artifacts. They still have to operate at the frequency of the signal, 60 hz being the most common.

Dan
post #259 of 1469
Thanks Dan.

So the TV is limited to what the input is capable of? In my case, it seems to be 60Hz.

Someone tried to tell me that the TV is capable of upconverting the 60Hz input to 600Hz and that's why the TV is advertised as 600Hz. Any truth to that?
post #260 of 1469
All I can say is that it will depend on your source material. You mention a dvd of a concert. firstly it's in DVD format, so the definition is lower and we don't know the style or how it was filmed, intention, etc, so it's hard to say what the lack of "smooth" really was.
post #261 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflem View Post

Someone tried to tell me that the TV is capable of upconverting the 60Hz input to 600Hz and that's why the TV is advertised as 600Hz. Any truth to that?

Apparently not a lot. Here is the CNET reviewer's opinion of the 600Hz feature on the pn58b650:
Quote:


Samsung and Panasonic share a lot of features in their plasma TVs, including "600Hz" panels that are said to improve motion resolution to reduce blur. The best thing we can say about this feature is to ignore it; the number was created in response to the 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rates of LCDs. Plasma technology is inherently less subject to blurring than LCD, and in any case it's really hard to see any difference with real material.

(See CNET pn58b650 review.)

And here is another relevant passage from the same review:
Quote:


According to Samsung, its plasmas use 600Hz subfield motion technology, which sounds like the 600Hz subfield drive employed by Panasonic on its plasmas, but the two didn't deliver the same results. The Samsung didn't quite match the motion resolution of the Panasonic plasmas or the 240Hz LCDs in our comparisons, delivering between 800 and 900 lines, according to our test. That's still very good, however, and as usual we suspect that even the most blur-sensitive viewers won't notice a difference with regular program material.
post #262 of 1469
Tom Huffman posted a (very favorable) review of the PN58B650 which might have some measurements useful in calibrating this generation of Samsung plasmas.
post #263 of 1469
I received an email from Samsung this morning saying they had email problems and that's probably why there was no response. So I'll have to resend or call tonight.
post #264 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonb View Post

I' dont really know the theory on calibrating the White Balance, but on standard (all 25) it seems as if yellow/green/pink colours "pop" more that the other colours.

I think I may have this problem, too, but all I've noticed wrong is new grass, which is a fluorescent and unnatural green.[*] I'm using these settings:
Code:
Movie Mode
  with other settings at default, except for
Cell Light = 10
Contrast = 70
Brightness = 62
Color = 42
Color Tone = Normal
Tint = G55/R45
I changed Color Tone from Warm2 to Normal partly for the sake of more natural looking flesh tones.

I think the picture quality of this pn42b450 is even better than that of my pn50a450.

Edit: I fixed my virulent green problem by (counterintuitively) turning Tint to more green. I think that the picture overall was green deficient, leaving too much contrast with areas that had a pure green hue.
post #265 of 1469
I just picked up a 42" b450 last night and dialed in Dan's settings and got a very red picture. It was horrible. Obviously Samsung has changed things in some sets. Gonna try Dallows settings and post my impressions.

Oh, and Movie Warm2 looks great out of the box at default settings. Maybe Samsung tweaked the color temp and secondary color balance in later sets? Tint is perfect at 50/50 and Warm2 is very close to D65 out of the box according to my Spyder2. Primary color is light years better than my previous Panny. I really miss the Panny's blacks though, this Sammy does not even compare but I'll try it for a week and see if it grows on me. Otherwise I might just have to shell out for money for a better set with the best of both .... if it exists.
post #266 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat3ncy View Post

I just picked up a 42" b450 last night and dialed in Dan's settings and got a very red picture. It was horrible. Obviously Samsung has changed things in some sets. Gonna try Dallows settings and post my impressions.

Oh, and Movie Warm2 looks great out of the box at default settings. Maybe Samsung tweaked the color temp and secondary color balance in later sets? Tint is perfect at 50/50 and Warm2 is very close to D65 out of the box according to my Spyder2. Primary color is light years better than my previous Panny. I really miss the Panny's blacks though, this Sammy does not even compare but I'll try it for a week and see if it grows on me. Otherwise I might just have to shell out for money for a better set with the best of both .... if it exists.

On my set I noticed the default Movie mode was worse. Tweaking improved it but not my much. The set has been in use a while so I might go and try to adjust the settings - see if anything changed/improved with use.

As far as getting a better set I'm looking to get a higher grade Sammy end of this year-ish. I don't really want to wait until they release a new line. I need something bigger, something better. I kick myself all the time wondering why I didn't at least get the 50"
post #267 of 1469
The overall assumption of these calibration threads is that there is a unique magical set of adjustments that will optimize picture quality for all TVs of a given model. I have grave doubts about this. Wouldn't the manufacturers have provided the best adjustments, at least as defaults? They're no dummies. One of the strong points of Samsung's TVs is the relatively complete set of user controls that let us compensate for the peculiar properties of our individual sets. We just need to practice looking critically at the picture, or maybe use instruments, and learn how to use those controls.
post #268 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

The overall assumption of these calibration threads is that there is a unique magical set of adjustments that will optimize picture quality for all TVs of a given model. I have grave doubts about this. Wouldn't the manufacturers have provided the best adjustments, at least as defaults? They're no dummies. One of the strong points of Samsung's TVs is the relatively complete set of user controls that let us compensate for the peculiar properties of our individual sets. We just need to practice looking critically at the picture, or maybe use instruments, and learn how to use those controls.

I totally agree, especially after this experience. There are no magic numbers. All TVs seem to be different. All we can do is calibrate it ourselves to either our own eyes or calibration equipment. Or just set it at the Manufacturers defaults and just enjoy it if it looks "right". I prefer the calibration using equipment, in all cases it has looked better to my eyes afterwords.

Anyways, the Sammy is all packed up and being returned. This is my second Sammy in the past month. The first had a piece of plastic wedge between the glass and the panel, right inside the screen inself. This second one has a few dead pixels right off the bat and they are bright red and distracting. The Sammy DVD player also has a VERY hard time opening the door ... almost a grinding sound. I think I'm giving up on Samsung for now. My old CRT is hooked up now and I couldn't be happier. My colors are bang on and the blacks are deep. things aren't as sharp or big, but I'm willing to live with it for now. I'll make the jump to Plasma when I can get reliability, acurate colors, and deep blacks; all at a good price (sub $1000). Out of the PannyC1 (good blacks but piss poor color accuracy), SammyB430 (defective and poor blacks), SammyB450 (defective and poor blacks) I've just had many headaches and grueling returns to the store this past month. I'm throwing in the towel guys.
post #269 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

The overall assumption of these calibration threads is that there is a unique magical set of adjustments that will optimize picture quality for all TVs of a given model. I have grave doubts about this. Wouldn't the manufacturers have provided the best adjustments, at least as defaults? They're no dummies. One of the strong points of Samsung's TVs is the relatively complete set of user controls that let us compensate for the peculiar properties of our individual sets. We just need to practice looking critically at the picture, or maybe use instruments, and learn how to use those controls.

No, I think the people who actually understand the purpose is to give others who don't have access to actual equipment something to go on. Your settings might not necessarily work for my tv, but it's at least someplace I can try starting at. No one in this thread has said there is one group of settings for all the tv's across a certain model.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lat3ncy View Post

I totally agree, especially after this experience. There are no magic numbers. All TVs seem to be different. All we can do is calibrate it ourselves to either our own eyes or calibration equipment. Or just set it at the Manufacturers defaults and just enjoy it if it looks "right". I prefer the calibration using equipment, in all cases it has looked better to my eyes afterwords.

Anyways, the Sammy is all packed up and being returned. This is my second Sammy in the past month. The first had a piece of plastic wedge between the glass and the panel, right inside the screen inself. This second one has a few dead pixels right off the bat and they are bright red and distracting. The Sammy DVD player also has a VERY hard time opening the door ... almost a grinding sound. I think I'm giving up on Samsung for now. My old CRT is hooked up now and I couldn't be happier. My colors are bang on and the blacks are deep. things aren't as sharp or big, but I'm willing to live with it for now. I'll make the jump to Plasma when I can get reliability, acurate colors, and deep blacks; all at a good price (sub $1000). Out of the PannyC1 (good blacks but piss poor color accuracy), SammyB430 (defective and poor blacks), SammyB450 (defective and poor blacks) I've just had many headaches and grueling returns to the store this past month. I'm throwing in the towel guys.

I never understand why people give up so easily. Unlucky I suppose. My TV is flawless aside from the movie mode issue. But I believe something was changed up during production. My standard looks pretty close, if not the same as Dan's Movie mode, so I'm good with that.
post #270 of 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

I never understand why people give up so easily.

So you first say that no one assumes that all the b450 sets are alike, and then you imply that because lat3ncy apparently can't get his to look as good as yours, that must be his fault. Why? Because his set must be the same as yours?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings