or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore - Page 6

post #151 of 254
Just got the email from DTR in Denver, they had the 667 for 2 days & they say it's fixed and left there a few hours ago by FedEx. Should be delivered by 6-16 & I'll see what they replaced.
post #152 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster391 View Post

Just got the email from DTR in Denver, they had the 667 for 2 days & they say it's fixed and left there a few hours ago by FedEx. Should be delivered by 6-16 & I'll see what they replaced.

Cool, let us know what they replaced and how it goes when you hook it back up. Mine is still working fine (knock on wood).

You may want to explore the option of some sort of addition to promote airflow. I added a small desk fan, sitting on the top/front of the 667 inside the cabinet, but not blocking the top vent holes on the unit. The front door of that section of the cabinet is mesh, so you can't see the fan. And I also cut out the back of that section of the cabinet to allow more airflow.. and pointed the fan towards the back. Once again the front door is black mesh so when the door is closed you can't see any of my modifications, but airflow is still permitted. I don't know how much this is helping, but after the 667 has been running awhile and I stick my hand inside the cabinet it doesn't feel as hot and stuffy as it did before.

But, I wonder... since Onkyo has supposedly gotten the handle on this issue shouldn't its components be able to withstand the heat it produces?
post #153 of 254
My 606 was on the top of my cabinet completely exposed with NOTHING around it. And it failed.. not sure what can be done if it happens to people like me who don't even put it in the cabinet, sandwiched between shelves and behind glass.
post #154 of 254
Vinne Vol- I now have a 120mm fan from coolerguys w/a thermal switch that activates about 88 deg and off at 83 degrees waiting on the shelf. Hopefully DTR will have a list of the repairs, if not I will try to get it from them by email. I just discovered the 6100 thread & will post pictures of the fan setup here & there. Rick
post #155 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

My 606 was on the top of my cabinet completely exposed with NOTHING around it. And it failed.. not sure what can be done if it happens to people like me who don't even put it in the cabinet sandwiched between shelves behind glass.

Seems like these units were just going to fail sooner or later. I really hope this issue is behind us all. But for those of us with the unit in a cabinet, moving air still can't be a bad thing.
post #156 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster391 View Post

Vinne Vol- I now have a 120mm fan from coolerguys w/a thermal switch that activates about 88 deg and off at 83 degrees waiting on the shelf. Hopefully DTR will have a list of the repairs, if not I will try to get it from them by email. I just discovered the 6100 thread & will post pictures of the fan setup here & there. Rick

Please do follow up... I'm now very interested in a cooling solution. What's this about a thermal switch? I assume it needs AC power outlet?
post #157 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

Please do follow up... I'm now very interested in a cooling solution. What's this about a thermal switch? I assume it needs AC power outlet?

Here's the scoop on the thermal switch:
Great to control power to fans in your home theater or even your computer case!

Thermal sensor will turn the connected fans on at ~87°F (30°C) and leave them running until the temperature drops below ~80°F (27°C)
External probe (450mm / 18 inch in length) so that you can monitor the temperature away from the controller
Female 4 pin Molex on one side and (2) 3 pin male on the other.

If you are using this outside of a computer it requires an AC-DC adapter that has both 5V and 12V DC lines, this 2A adapter is currently the only one we carry that meets this requirement


- Supply Voltage: 11V - 13V DC
- Turn on temperature ~87°F (30°C)
- Turn off ~80°F (27°C)
- Can natively control 2 fans, you can add more fans using 3pin Y splitters but you must keep the combined power draw under 1000ma (1.0A)
- Green LED power light (always on)
- Size: 82 x 35 x 17mm / 3.22 x 1.37 x 0.66in

I will photo the set up when I get it all hooked back up & list all the parts

I heard about a USB supplied 120mm fan w/it's own thermal switch & probe built in, that would be less expensive, but not using a 150,000 hour fan
post #158 of 254
Great info.. can't wait for the pics.

Too bad we don't have USB outlet on our units.. then it could power itself when it's on.
post #159 of 254
Got my 667 back from DTR in Denver today. Invoice says the replaced 5- 374721044t capacitors and 5- 2227801dr2t0 ic regulators, no prices listed. I found the cost on the capacitors at $.80 each but haven't found the regulator price, but I would guess it's about the same. I have tommorrow off & hope to get the system back together & take photos. Depends on how active the grandson is.
post #160 of 254
I finished setting everything up, it takes much longer than to break it down. Lost all my settings, so this weekend I will see if I can find my mic.

Installed the cooling fan. It went on after 5 minutes and kept running until 2-3 minutes after shut down. I'll see what temp it gets to after a BD movie & post it.

Here is the list of the fan parts from the "coolerguys.com"

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D (800rpm) <9db rated at 150,000 hours use
4 rubber/silicone legs
110v AC to 12v DC power supply w/ 4pin Molex (2000mA)
Thermal fan controller - pre set

I set the system up for just over $50.00 w/shipping. There are less expensive options.
LL
LL
LL
post #161 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster391 View Post

I finished setting everything up, it takes much longer than to break it down. Lost all my settings, so this weekend I will see if I can find my mic.

Installed the cooling fan. It went on after 5 minutes and kept running until 2-3 minutes after shut down. I'll see what temp it gets to after a BD movie & post it.

Here is the list of the fan parts from the "coolerguys.com"

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D (800rpm) <9db rated at 150,000 hours use
4 rubber/silicone legs
110v AC to 12v DC power supply w/ 4pin Molex (2000mA)
Thermal fan controller - pre set

I set the system up for just over $50.00 w/shipping. There are less expensive options.

I'd like to see the power end.. not sure I understand how that works.. just plug into a power outlet?

Kinda like this solution, just plug into my DVR which is on 24/7. Only $13

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088417.html
post #162 of 254
The power supply plugs into any 110v outlet & has a 4 pin molex out from the 12v converter (plus 2 - 3pin & 2 more 4 pin configurations that come with it to power a 2nd fan). The thermal switch has 2 outlets so you can power 2 fans. I only have a USB outlet on my TIVO which does not turn off so I wanted something that would shut the fan off.

The fan your looking at is good, but I have heard & read that a bearing sleeve fan should not be mounted flat as it will cause premature wear on the bearing. If it reduced the life by 50% you would still get 18 months of continuious use from it. But if you go with the Scythe S-FLEX even with a potential 50% loss you still have 8 1/2 years for 12.89
post #163 of 254
Seems like of all the threads across diff. boards I'm following on this issue, nobody's posting much about it anymore. I'm hoping this is an indication that Onkyo has finally got a handle on the situation.
post #164 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

Thanks..looks like the closest is in Mountain View.. yikes.

update.. looks like I got VERY lucky. My 2 year warranty expires on July 14th this year. I made it with a month to spare. Should take a little over a week to get it fixed. Whew..

Btw: American Express doubles the warranty so actually I had 4 years. heh.

...My 606 was on the top of my cabinet completely exposed with NOTHING around it. And it failed.. not sure what can be done if it happens to people like me who don't even put it in the cabinet, sandwiched between shelves and behind glass.

Hey Pluvious...I know this is a bit late but I wanted to respond/reply to your posts because we have much in common.
A little backstory, I frequented the HTiB S6100 thread which concerned mostly of the HDMI issue all many of you are going through in this thread and was only made aware of this similar thread from the latest post there...
in any case...back to Pluvious's posts, I wanted to ask how your experience is/was with the Mountain View service repair center? If it is the same center I went through (the California, Bay Area;Mountain View city), we can/should exchange facts and information.

Here is my posts about my experience with them, copied from the other thread...
(FYI, I am also posting it publicly to share my experience so others may learn something new or interesting.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post

I'd like to share my repair story and some of the things I've learnt...

If you press display and power at the same time, it shows the firmware information. (I believe it was power and display, but was just observing and i could've misinterpret it). The 2 persons behind the counter said that a lot of times the hdmi board wrecks it so badly that it just displays question marks instead of the firmware numbers.

After calling Onkyo to try and get information on how to get it serviced, the person on the phone had me try a "last resort" on my unit. He had me hold down the VCR/DVR button and press the power button. What this ended up doing is resetting EVERYTHING back to factory. So none of the speaker calibrations nor levels were saved and everything was erased/reverted. Not that I care, because I was having the unit repaired/replaced anyways.

The guy behind the counter pointed out to me that if you look at the unit from above, you can see the HDMI board through the vents. The big black chip that you see on the HDMI board is what is actually the problem. He said that it's that chip that is defective and makes the board overheat.

He said that Onkyo is pretty much sending the HDMI boards out as fast as they can manufacture them. But because so many units are having problems and they are replacing too many, that the boards are back-ordered and it would take me 1 month to get my receiver back. He said that a lot of times it takes so long that they could make a whole new unit/replacement before receiving the specific hdmi board, so whichever comes first! So, either they replace my hdmi board or send me a whole brand new unit! Either way I am happy because he said that after a unit's been replaced or repaired, they've never had a unit return again. This is something that worried me from what I've been seeing or hearing on the forums, that the units simply get a quick fix or something and not replaced, and are broken or underperforming within a few months. By getting the hdmi board replaced, or even the whole unit replaced, I can feel confident about this repair. He also said that there were STACKS and STACKS of R667's in the back/warehouse.

Another neat thing (maybe only my repair center) is that I only had to worry about getting the unit there. Apparently, Onkyo would cover a 1 time shipping out cost. So, once they get an hdmi board and replace it, they'd ship it to my address. Or, if Onkyo decided to just replace with a brand new receiver, they would ship directly to my address! This worked well because I'm in the Bay Area, CA and had to drive 33 miles to the only one that seemed to be around for 50 miles; the Mountain View, CA repair center. So, basically, like the person behind the counter said, I only had to worry about getting the unit there to them;1 time trip.

Another thing I've learned from this is about Onkyo's 2 year manufacturer's warranty. I bought mine at Vanns.com and also purchased a 3 year extended warranty. I called Vanns to get the extended warranty company's number, and then called NSI or NIS or something. They said that since I had the unit for only a little over a year, that I would need to go through Onkyo to get the unit serviced. I then asked if the extended warranty I bought applies AFTER the 2 year manufacturer's warranty (5 years coverage) or did they do the coverage simultaneously (3 year coverage)? Of course, I got jiffed/tricked and for whatever reason, they cover simultaneously. So, basically, my $40 pretty much only bought 1 year coverage after Onkyo's 2 year man. warranty. I'm sharing this so other people can keep it in mind when buying this unit and/or buying other units like this.

In any case, because it's been within 2 years manufacturer's warranty, all I needed to bring in was the receiver and an invoice/receipt. Everything else was taken care of without needing to pay anything.

So that's pretty much my experience and new information (at least new to me) that I have. Now I gotta go a month without my surround sound, but at least I won't have to wait 15 minutes for 1080i (or regular tv for that matter) and up to 30 mins for 1080p. And, I don't have the worry about this problem re-occuring as well. I will post up when I have new information and to write how this ends up. Hope this helped in some way or gave a good read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post

Also, on a different note, wanted to update anyone who may be interested on the repair of my R667...

When first dropping off my unit at a service repair center, they already warned that it would take 1 month for the wait since all these hdmi boards are being replaced so the hdmi boards are being back-ordered...
BUT it has already been more than 1 month and a half!!! i'm pretty peeved right now as during this time Ninja Assassin and God of War III came out and I am still waiting on my 7 ch. surround sound before playing/purchasing these...
...they even said that if Onkyo would see fit (being there isn't enough hdmi boards to go around, too much time and labor) Onkyo would simply send a brand new unit. ********.
So just an update and warning to those getting their units repaired or thinking about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post

A Final Update
So...after 7 weeks! (Nearly 2 months), I finally got my unit back. They sent it through UPS and got to me within 3 business days (2 day shipping it seems...)
I can't exactly remember what the HDMI board looked like before I sent it in, but it does seem that the board is different.
After going through the painstaking process of putting back the wires and re-calibrating (through the audessey/mic) the levels, it seems to be working really well (at least for now...) I don't have to wait longer than 5 seconds to get any kind of signal (480-1080p).
I can't remember if it said "no signal" on the osd within the 5 seconds of turning it on to the cable box input, but if it's only 5 seconds than that's alright; as long as it doesn't progressively get longer.
I will probably make another small update a few months from now after the receiver gets some use but here's hoping it'll finally be resolved and still working properly in a year!

Sorry it's a bit of a read...hopefully it was as informative to you as it is long.
In any case...I've had the fixed R667 with the replaced HDMI board for 2 and a half months and it is working perfectly. Again, I reserve judgement til about a year after the replacement to make a final judgement on it as it takes about a year for most for the HDMI problems to arise anyways. But for now, I must say it was a good job and it is working very well, even though the turnaround time was horrendous (as well as the employees there; very unprofessional, rude, and unsocial). I wish I frequented this thread before I sent it in. I may have been willing to pay for the expedited replacement after hearing from them how back-ordered the board is/was. To the degree that there were "stacks of 667's/606's in the warehouse." Like a fellow member posted about being without TrueHD for a long time, I feel/felt the same. I really hated missing out on Ninja Assasin and God of War 3 when they released because the turnaround time was horrendous.
But things are all well now and enjoying my 7.1 HD awesomeness.
Hope this helps anyone...
post #165 of 254
Thanks for posting this, simplepinoi177. Lots of details in your post and it was very informative. I've been curious to see how someone's experience has gone for a bit of a longer time period after the repair was done. Like you said, the true test will be how it performs a year or so from now.

Unfortunately the closest repair center to me was around 3 hours away (in North Carolina) so I had to ship it there, and I had read some poor reviews of that particular repair center online but I figured it was either that or send it to New Jersey. But the repair center was great. Whenever I called they were very nice and gave me detailed updates on the status of my receiver, and the turn around time just ended up being 2-3 weeks.

I've had my 667 back for a little over a week now after repair, and mine is also functioning perfectly so far. It is encouraging to know that yours is still working properly after almost three months. Let's hope the fix was permanent.
post #166 of 254
My 606 failed several months ago (and I posted in this forum) and I just let it sit in my garage since I purchased a Pioneer 9040. On my way to work yesterday I finally got frustrated that I have a peice of hardware that only lasted a year sitting in my garage like that when it could be useful to someone.

I'm going to call Onkyo today who gave me a hard time before because I didn't have the original receipt (purchased from Circuit City in August of '08) and wouldn't honor the warranty.

Looks like me closest service center is in Denver but i'll wait to see what Onkyo says. I'll post my results here.

Thanks.
post #167 of 254
Re: simplepinoi177

Sorry, I took so long to respond. Didn't see an update to the thread and just popped back in to post pictures of my new fan.
Yes.. the Mountain View place was GREAT! I was very impressed with the guys service and it only took about 5 days to get it back. He had the parts there in shop, but if the board had to be replaced he said it would have taken a few weeks to have Onkyo ship him the board. No cost and he just shook his head when I said the new one is $350. He said he couldn't understand how they can sell it so cheap when just the HDMI board alone is $400!! Not to mention all the other parts in there. I would highly recommend his shop to anyone.
BTW: when you go down the street it curves around to the right.. make sure you go straight into where his shop is. My car nav wasn't too clear.

Here's my new $13 USB fan. The green pads where added by me. The fan has done WONDERS! After a 5-6 hour session of heavy gaming and video watching.. I can take the fan off and put my hand on the unit without burning it. EDIT: it's COLD to the touch with the fan working.
post #168 of 254
BAD NEWS FOR ME

The fix lasted 6 days, probably less than 15 hours use. No video drops but the HDMI audio started cutting out about 10 this morning while my grandson was watching cartoons. Sound coud be brought back if the receiver was shut off for 2 minutes, then it would pass the audio for another 15-20 minutes. It continued for 3 cycles then a loud pop from the right side speakers. (last time it popped was the left side) So I disconected everything & back to DTR in Denver tomorrow. Hopefully this time they will replace the HDMI board.
post #169 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster391 View Post

BAD NEWS FOR ME

The fix lasted 6 days, probably less than 15 hours use. No video drops but the HDMI audio started cutting out about 10 this morning while my grandson was watching cartoons. Sound coud be brought back if the receiver was shut off for 2 minutes, then it would pass the audio for another 15-20 minutes. It continued for 3 cycles then a loud pop from the right side speakers. (last time it popped was the left side) So I disconected everything & back to DTR in Denver tomorrow. Hopefully this time they will replace the HDMI board.

So, you're not having any hdmi video drops? Were you only having no audio the last time?

See, I never had any popping from any of my speakers... my problem was the receiver never would see my HDMI inputs, well at first I could wait 15 or 30 minutes but it got progressively worse to the point where it would never see them. But I never had one and not the other, mine problem was always the loss of audio and video both.

But I've had my 667 back for two weeks, no problems yet. Your description of "popping" makes me think your problem is different from mine.
post #170 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

Re: simplepinoi177

Sorry, I took so long to respond. Didn't see an update to the thread and just popped back in to post pictures of my new fan.
Yes.. the Mountain View place was GREAT! I was very impressed with the guys service and it only took about 5 days to get it back. He had the parts there in shop, but if the board had to be replaced he said it would have taken a few weeks to have Onkyo ship him the board. No cost and he just shook his head when I said the new one is $350. He said he couldn't understand how they can sell it so cheap when just the HDMI board alone is $400!! Not to mention all the other parts in there. I would highly recommend his shop to anyone.
BTW: when you go down the street it curves around to the right.. make sure you go straight into where his shop is. My car nav wasn't too clear.

Here's my new $13 USB fan. The green pads where added by me. The fan has done WONDERS! After a 5-6 hour session of heavy gaming and video watching.. I can take the fan off and put my hand on the unit without burning it. It's still warm.. but not SCOLDING HOT like before, where you have to pull your hand off because it was so hot.

So they just replaced the capacitors in yours, correct? Nice pics, btw. What did you plug the usb into?
post #171 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieVol View Post

So, you're not having any hdmi video drops? Were you only having no audio the last time?

See, I never had any popping from any of my speakers... my problem was the receiver never would see my HDMI inputs, well at first I could wait 15 or 30 minutes but it got progressively worse to the point where it would never see them. But I never had one and not the other, mine problem was always the loss of audio and video both.

But I've had my 667 back for two weeks, no problems yet. Your description of "popping" makes me think your problem is different from mine.

No video dropouts THIS time. The HDMI will not pass through the audio portion of the signal. This is the exact way it started last time, just more frequent. I suppose if I fought with it over the next few weeks I would get the video drops also. The video & audio would previously be able to restart by turning the unit off, waiting 30 seconds to 2 minutes & then it would be good for an hour or maybe 2. But mine would always produce a video signal on startup (sometimes it took 30-45 seconds to connect), it was when it warmed up that there was a problem.

The fan kept the unit below 90 degrees, so I don't think this is heat related, but I will see what DTR in Denver says.
post #172 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieVol View Post

So they just replaced the capacitors in yours, correct? Nice pics, btw. What did you plug the usb into?

Yep he just replaced a few caps. Didn't list out the details on my receipt but he pointed out where they where through the top of the grill.
Luckily that rather short USB cord makes it down to my DirectV DVR which is on 24/7. I just plug it into it when I start up a long session. (Video gaming or movies)



In case you're wondering...that thing on top of the DVR is my cheapo Magnavox BluRay player.
post #173 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster391 View Post

The fan kept the unit below 90 degrees, so I don't think this is heat related, but I will see what DTR in Denver says.

Yeah, let us know what happens with them. Good luck.
post #174 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

Yep he just replaced a few caps. Didn't list out the details on my receipt but he pointed out where they where through the top of the grill.
Luckily that rather short USB cord makes it down to my DirectV DVR which is on 24/7. I just plug it into it when I start up a long session. (Video gaming or movies)



In case you're wondering...that thing on top of the DVR is my cheapo Magnavox BluRay player.

May I ask where you bought the fan?
post #175 of 254
Scroll up to post #161 above for the link to the fan.
post #176 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieVol View Post

Thanks for posting this, simplepinoi177. Lots of details in your post and it was very informative. I've been curious to see how someone's experience has gone for a bit of a longer time period after the repair was done. Like you said, the true test will be how it performs a year or so from now.

Unfortunately the closest repair center to me was around 3 hours away (in North Carolina) so I had to ship it there, and I had read some poor reviews of that particular repair center online but I figured it was either that or send it to New Jersey. But the repair center was great. Whenever I called they were very nice and gave me detailed updates on the status of my receiver, and the turn around time just ended up being 2-3 weeks.

I've had my 667 back for a little over a week now after repair, and mine is also functioning perfectly so far. It is encouraging to know that yours is still working properly after almost three months. Let's hope the fix was permanent.

I'm glad it was informative to you. Also, I'm glad that you only had to wait the 2-3 weeks instead of as long as I had to wait. But yeah, let's see how well the repair works after a year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

Re: simplepinoi177

Sorry, I took so long to respond. Didn't see an update to the thread and just popped back in to post pictures of my new fan.
Yes.. the Mountain View place was GREAT! I was very impressed with the guys service and it only took about 5 days to get it back. He had the parts there in shop, but if the board had to be replaced he said it would have taken a few weeks to have Onkyo ship him the board. No cost and he just shook his head when I said the new one is $350. He said he couldn't understand how they can sell it so cheap when just the HDMI board alone is $400!! Not to mention all the other parts in there. I would highly recommend his shop to anyone.
BTW: when you go down the street it curves around to the right.. make sure you go straight into where his shop is. My car nav wasn't too clear.

I'm glad you had a positive experience with the shop. Other than the customer service, it is a good place. Also, i'm happy you didn't have to wait as long as I did. Hopefully the repair is enough and won't cause you any further problems because most think that it is a better idea to get the board replaced, if anything.
Also, yeah my gps had a lil hard time finding the parking lot as well. Couldn't guide me beyond the main street that the front of the building faced. Glad we found it though...

also, sorry to Rickstar that the repair didn't last...hopefully they will replace the hdmi board this time and you can be done (at least for a while) with the problems plaguing your unit.
post #177 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

Scroll up to post #161 above for the link to the fan.

Oops sorry, it was right there the whole time. Overlooked it, thanks.
post #178 of 254
Aphex187, I am in the exact same boat, I bought mine from Circuit City and lost my receipt. Please let me know how it goes...

TYIA


Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex187 View Post

My 606 failed several months ago (and I posted in this forum) and I just let it sit in my garage since I purchased a Pioneer 9040. On my way to work yesterday I finally got frustrated that I have a peice of hardware that only lasted a year sitting in my garage like that when it could be useful to someone.

I'm going to call Onkyo today who gave me a hard time before because I didn't have the original receipt (purchased from Circuit City in August of '08) and wouldn't honor the warranty.

Looks like me closest service center is in Denver but i'll wait to see what Onkyo says. I'll post my results here.

Thanks.
post #179 of 254
re: post #167

Just wanted to reiterate how well that fan works in keeping the Onkyo cool. A must have guys.
post #180 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post

re: post #167

Just wanted to reiterate how well that fan works in keeping the Onkyo cool. A must have guys.

I will probably be buying this soon. How loud is it? Also, how long is the usb cable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore