or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore - Page 2

post #31 of 254
I bought my receiver in Aug 2008 and it has been working great until the last 2 weeks.

Now I have started seeing a delay in when the TV recognizes any input from receiver.

I have a "PS3 -> Onkyo 606 -> Sony XBR6 TV"" connection. Earlier when I switch everything ON, it was almost instantaneous. Now I need to wait for almost a minute before the receiver would send any signal to the TV or speakers.

Looks like this is how this defect appears at first and then getting worse upto 30 mins or not working at all.

It would be great if there are any work-arounds...
post #32 of 254
Looks like this is the problem I'm having now.

At first I thought it was the HD cable box, then it happened on the Xbox360 as well. Seems to only be happening after the unit's been off for awhile and 'cold', the SR606 will not see the signal from the other device in HDMI.

After it's been on for a few minutes (anywhere from 2-10), it seems to work just fine. Maybe warming up causes things to get working, finally.

It doesn't lose signal (yet) while the unit is operating, and switching between inputs during operation does not cause any hiccups (yet).

I guess I'm going to have to contact Onkyo too, and due to some of the previous posts in the thread, I'm not looking forward to it.

oh joy... oh bliss...
post #33 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzorelli View Post

Looks like this is the problem I'm having now.

At first I thought it was the HD cable box, then it happened on the Xbox360 as well. Seems to only be happening after the unit's been off for awhile and 'cold', the SR606 will not see the signal from the other device in HDMI.

After it's been on for a few minutes (anywhere from 2-10), it seems to work just fine. Maybe warming up causes things to get working, finally.

It doesn't lose signal (yet) while the unit is operating, and switching between inputs during operation does not cause any hiccups (yet).

I guess I'm going to have to contact Onkyo too, and due to some of the previous posts in the thread, I'm not looking forward to it.

oh joy... oh bliss...

Good luck. I was without my 606 for a month while the HDMI board was being replaced. I got it back a couple of weeks ago... and the problem is back.

Your unit may only act up for 5 or 10 minutes until it's warmed up, but most likely that warmup period will get longer and longer until it stops working completely.

I now have to bring it back again for repair. After speaking to a supervisor at Onkyo I was told that if the same unit has to go in for repair three times for the same issue they will then consider sending a replacement or upgrade.

I'm still debating about taking it in again, but I definitely won't be recommending Onkyo to friends or buying any of their products in the future.
post #34 of 254
A month? Nice... *rolls eyes*

Not happy about this at all... with so many people griping about it, you'd think they'd issue a real fix by now.

I work in the consumer electronics business on the quality side and we'd be under a tremendous amount of pressure to get a real fix in place if this was us.
post #35 of 254
Ok, I am having this EXACT same problem with this receiver.
I bought the thing exactly one year ago and was initially blaming my Samsung
LN52A750 TV.

MY Dish network DVR works great, the only problem I am having is when I switch to the PS3. I can wait upwards of 10 minutes before I get a handshake.

I need an honest answer here guys, is it worth going through and getting this fixed?

I have about $200 to spend on a receiver, was thinking I should just eat this one and get something else? (any reliable recommendations)

Thanks
post #36 of 254
Don't blame HDMI exclusively for this problem. I have the same exact problem on an Onkyo HT-R667 that's less than a year old.

It started with my digital TV receiver box, which isn't HDMI, it's connected via component video. When I would turn on the digital TV box the Onkyo would only push out the audio, but no video. If I would turn on and off the TV, digital TV box and Onkyo about 10 - 12 times the video would eventually work. I changed the digital TV box, thinking that was the problem, but the same thing continued to happen.

About 3 months later it also started happening with my PS3 which had worked fine for many months. The PS3 is connected via HDMI. When I turn everything on, no video and "no signal" displayed on the Onkyo. I have to turn everything on and off 12 - 15 times in a row before I will eventually get a signal.

Since it happens with both component video as well as HDMI I'm thinking there's something faulty with the main board on these units. It's no wonder they're not fixing them when we bring them to service, they would essentially have to give us all brand new boards.

Same as what another guy recently posted, my wife is also pissed off about this receiver and constantly lets me know that we 'paid too much money for this piece of &^@@ not work work'.

After reading all of the stories here there's no way I'll ever buy anything Onkyo again. They should recall these products and give everyone with this problem a new receiver.
post #37 of 254
I bought my sr-606 Oct 31 2008....grabbed the 3 yr warranty (free replacement from Frys for $60).

What I'm seeing happening now is over time things are taking a LOT longer to get detected (all hdmi inputs). It takes a good 10 minutes with my sr-606 on so that I can usually switch to using my 360 and or computer on my Samsung 46.

I've tried a zillion different booting methods ect. Flicking things on off ect. Seems to take about 10 mins if the sr-606 is not *warm*. I would leave this thing on all the time except I'm afraid that is just going to cause more problems with the heat it puts out.

Some days the OSD works (seems to work if I leave sr-606 on for extended amount of time) and other days it doesn't work at all....so my guess is that it is just a matter of time before it goes out.

Once i get a signal I've never had a problem with losing it, but it just a matter of the signal getting synced on.

I've seen a ton of messages in these forums about guys sending off their receivers, but NONE with anyone happy getting them back repaired?!

So whats the story? Anyone get theirs repaired successfully?

Is the sr-607 worth grabbing for a replacement?

edited. what model is the replacement for the sr-606? Is it the sr-706?
post #38 of 254
Mine is a 667. I sent it off twice. First time it didn't get fixed. Second time it was fixed. I had to pay shipping both times. It is doing the same again. I will send it off after NFL season is over or throw it away. Haven't decided yet. One thing I am sure of is I will NEVER buy another Onkyo product.
post #39 of 254
Well, I knew my receiver was acting up lately, but geez I didn't think it would be as bad as some are describing (but it is). I notice sometimes with my wii (component) or my PS3 (hdmi) I have to turn the receiver on and off a couple of times now to get a working video signal. I also know in addition to this my subwoofer cable currently runs across my floor along with the speaker wires for my surround back speakers. Anytime some steps on or near the subwoofer cable, my subwoofer goes crazy will loud noises.

I fear my system is going the way of everyone else's in this thread. I only hope it will last through the holidays until next year when I can then think of replacing it.

It just bothers me that this is my first real receiver and I was told was one of the best buys. I got it back in August of 08 and now to have this happen doesn't bode well with me. I'm in college and can afford to replace receivers at will. It also makes me wonder that if such a thing as this can happen to these receivers what can happen to other receivers?

Well here's to hoping,
post #40 of 254
I have a few weird things happening recently I cant really pinpoint the cause. I can only assume it may be the amp.

1) At least once a week skyhd box blue screens, either loss of signal when it is turned on or just a frozen blue screen. Either one and sky hd needs to be plugged out and back in to get it to work. Also now and again the screen has just turned black while watching a show as i the hdmi has lost the signal.

2) Intermittant problem with HTPC. Whenever i leave the pc on and switch to another device, ie skyhd, sometimes when i switch back to watch the HTPC sometimes I cannot get the picture back and just black screens as i a loss o HDMI signal. If I reboot the pc it comes back on but the resolution has then gone back to basic settings and needs to be changed again. Sometimes when switching back to the HTPC after watching SKYHD the pc crashes and the display seems to have corrupted like a graphic card problem. This happens no matter what version of the ATI Catalyst driver I have.

The reason I think it may be the amp is that both these devices with problems are HDMI and it always happens when turning on the deviced or switching from one to the other. The amp is about 1 year ols. The display I am using is a Pioneer LX5090.

I had to send away my old Onkyo 674 amp to have a new hdmi board in due to a different problem. Could there be something wrong with the HDMI board in this amp or am I barking up the wrong tree?
post #41 of 254
I ended up buying a Sony DN-1000 and took my Onkyo receiver in under warranty. The shop claims that it will be a few weeks to get it fixed (the HDMI boards are back ordered), he also said that he is seeing a lot of these problems with this model.

I will update once I get the receiver back, I hope the board holds out longer than some of the other posters are reporting.

I bought the Sony only because I got a good deal and needed something ASAP, although the Sony seems to be working fine. I do notice that when switching between HDMI inputs there is a noticeable delay (5 seconds or more than the Onkyo). Not a huge deal, more annoying than anything
post #42 of 254
I picked up my Onkyo R667 receiver from warranty. The techs replaced a transistor and the HDMI board.

Hope this will lasts longer.
post #43 of 254
Having the same issue with my 606 and am thinking about sending my unit in or just replacing it with something else, Pioneer maybe. I wonder if it is worth the hassle to ship it back since many are reporting their units are being sent back with the same problems.
post #44 of 254
I ended up buying the sony DN-1000 and using this one on another tv. I guess it depends on how long it takes to get this one fixed and if you have to pay shipping or not. I just have a bad feeling that after another 8 months, the same thing will happen again.
post #45 of 254
Great, same problem. So what would my options be for an equivalent product to the SR-606 from another, more reliable brand?
post #46 of 254
I can't believe it. I thought this was a strange, unique problem I was having. And, searching around, it seems that many folks are having this same problem. Amazingly, the symptoms of this strange problem are remarkably the same. About 2 months ago, it seemed like it took a couple switches to get things working. Just an annoyance. Then, a couple weeks ago, it would only get 1080i sources right off the bat. 1080p sources took about 5 minutes before they work. Now, the problem has progressed to where 1080i sources don't start showing up till being on for about 5 minutes. And, 1080p sources take about 10 minutes. It's a progressive problem that continues to get worse. And, it seems that many people are having this very same problem. Unbelievable!

Well, the receiver was bought in June '08. So, at least it's under warranty.... But, it after reading this thread... This looks to be a painful process. Even removing a receiver is a painful process in itself. But, if this problem repeats? Argh!
post #47 of 254
Just discovered the thread after having somewhat similar, but slightly different problem with my 705. I have the Wii connected to Game input (composite), and it loses the signal every few seconds, and then comes back on by itself. The HDMI and all other sources seem to work fine. I even tested a new Wii, changed cables and everything else, so I am sure its the receiver. Anyone else seen this, or have any ideas?
post #48 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

Just discovered the thread after having somewhat similar, but slightly different problem with my 705. I have the Wii connected to Game input (composite), and it loses the signal every few seconds, and then comes back on by itself. The HDMI and all other sources seem to work fine. I even tested a new Wii, changed cables and everything else, so I am sure its the receiver. Anyone else seen this, or have any ideas?

Is it in a well ventilted area? When they get hot they will do exactly as you described.

I started having the problem with my HDMI ports about a month ago with my 606. First my new XBOX 360, then my PS3. It is still under warranty and will be shipped out as soon as my new HK amp arrives.
post #49 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tophinator View Post

Is it in a well ventilted area? When they get hot they will do exactly as you described.

I started having the problem with my HDMI ports about a month ago with my 606. First my new XBOX 360, then my PS3. It is still under warranty and will be shipped out as soon as my new HK amp arrives.

Yes its as ventilated as it can be - on top of the stand and nothing covering it. I will try putting a fan next to it and see if that fixes things. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hope urs gets fixed too!
post #50 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcole View Post

Since I wrote that post months ago, I have been fighting Onkyo for decent service. They have very very little to give, I assure you.

I sent the AVR in to United Radio Service of East Syracuse, NY (they are _awesome_, and the lone bright shining star in my saga) on 5/21/09. Today, 7/30/09, I have a new receiver (according to FedEx it will be delivered this afternoon). Between here and there, is a long, arduous saga, involving no fewer than 5 infuriating agents at Onkyo USA in Upper Saddle River, NJ. I have names and numbers, but I don't feel the need to call anyone out on a public forum.

I'm going to snip from a letter I sent to their CS department, post facto, because I do not want to retype it:

[...snip]

In May, after a month or so of hiccups and bugs in the HDMI subsystem of my Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, I sent it in on a warranty claim for repair. It was received by United Radio Service [the contracted repair house], in East Syracuse, NY on May 22. Parts were ordered for repair on May 29. On June 12, I was informed that Onkyo did not have parts available, and that they were/are backordered until July 21. Six weeks is a long time to have any piece of equipment out for repair, so I called Onkyo to see if we could make another arrangement. I spoke with -name redacted-, in parts, who put me through a few hoops at first, but eventually relented and agreed to do a swap with a new unit because the parts for repair would be so long in coming. Their first position was to extend my manufacturer's warranty by 6 weeks (!!!!!), but I wasn't having that, as the cost of the warranty extension didn't begin to cover my time, aggravation, and opportunity cost of having no receiver for so long. On June 17, URS shipped my receiver directly to Onkyo, and once it was received there, Onkyo would send out a swap unit to me, directly.

That is where I stand today, frustrated, aggravated, and annoyed, 33 days later. Since sometime around June 22, Onkyo has been promising me weekly that a new receiver would be shipped out "next week" only for me to call on a Monday and be told that the receiver is on backorder and there was nothing available for me. Today I called again, and spoke with -name redacted- in order fulfillment, who told me just last Friday that she would ship me a new unit today. Now they are even promising an upgrade, to this year's model of TX-SR607, but this is only because the 606 has been discontinued. I called today, and -name redacted- told me next week at best. She indicated that they should be receiving new unit "the 4th week of July". I didn't tell her that that indicates this week, because I just didn't want to confuse the poor dear.

[end snip]

Fast forward about 10 days, and the receiver is finally in the mail. To sum up, HDMI daughterboard is fried. You will most likely have to follow the exact process I went through. Be persistent and take copious notes while on the phone. Do not necessarily expect to get a brand new unit like I did unless there is a backorder on your parts. Do expect to be frustrated and aggravated by Onkyo's horrible customer service.

Good luck to all.

Matt

Hi Matt. Dont feel so bad as my unit has been in the repair shop since 10/2/09. I did get it back after 5 weeks, picking up unit on a friday and returning it back to repair shop on monday. At present it is still in the shop. I didnt even have to send my unit to a repair center as there was a local auth. shop in which Onkyo told me about. I did send a note to Onkyo stating that as of now they have just lost a customer for any future purchase. At that point i did recieve a call from a CS person who called the repait shop to find out what was going on. He called me back the next day to advise me that an additional part was being shiped out that day and should be fixed asap and that my warranty would be extended the down time of my unit.As of now, i still have not recieved my unit back-2weeks later!! I am to the point that I am going to call Onkyo to see if they have any type of buy back of units in repair under warranty for an entended lenght of time. Even if i could get 1/3 of the price!! I really know they dont. I wish there was some other avenue to pursue. Sorry for the rant. If you can advise as to what I might be able to do next? At this point I am about ready to file a complaint with the BBB of New Jersey and see if that will help. Had to do that against best buy several years ago to get my problem taken care of. Almost 3 months now. Way to long!!!
post #51 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotivo View Post

Well, the receiver was bought in June '08. So, at least it's under warranty.... But, it after reading this thread... This looks to be a painful process. Even removing a receiver is a painful process in itself. But, if this problem repeats? Argh!

Onkyo seems clueless about this problem. When I called their tech support, they had me reset my receiver. And, finally, he just told me to call my local authorized repair center. Fortunately, there is one that is only a couple miles from where I work.

Now, the repair shop was very impressive. I explained the problem. And, the guy knew all about the problem. He knew it needed some capacitors replaced. He checked his stock and said to bring it on in. When I took it in, he said they are fixing these all the time. He pointed to another customer's 606 ready to be picked up. That was yesterday. He called this afternoon and said it was ready. I picked it up and hooked everything back up. And, low and behold - it works like new! Less than 24 hours in the shop, too.

When I picked it up today, I asked about the capacitors and if this problem will repeat in the future. He explained that they replaced all of them - not just the ones that are bad. He also said that they are specifying higher voltage caps now. So, he didn't expect that I will have any future problems. He said he hasn't had any come back. While this sounds promising, it'll probably take about a year or two to really know if it's fixed.

FWIW, I looked at the receipt. It shows quantity 8 of 3981G1017R2 caps. So, I assume they replaced 8 caps.
post #52 of 254
I too have the same problems everyone else here is talking about.

CouchPotivo: Your post gave me some hope. Quite frankly, rather than dealing with Onkyo I'm wondering if I can have my local shop just replace all the caps with higher voltage ones and pay for it out of pocket rather than go through the warranty process. Of course, then I run the risk of paying for something that doesn't fix the problem.

Going to call Onkyo today and see what they say. I purchased my unit at Circuit City in Aug 08 and have no idea where the receipt is so I'm hoping they don't give me too hard of a time.
post #53 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotivo View Post

Onkyo seems clueless about this problem. When I called their tech support, they had me reset my receiver. And, finally, he just told me to call my local authorized repair center. Fortunately, there is one that is only a couple miles from where I work.

Now, the repair shop was very impressive. I explained the problem. And, the guy knew all about the problem. He knew it needed some capacitors replaced. He checked his stock and said to bring it on in. When I took it in, he said they are fixing these all the time. He pointed to another customer's 606 ready to be picked up. That was yesterday. He called this afternoon and said it was ready. I picked it up and hooked everything back up. And, low and behold - it works like new! Less than 24 hours in the shop, too.

When I picked it up today, I asked about the capacitors and if this problem will repeat in the future. He explained that they replaced all of them - not just the ones that are bad. He also said that they are specifying higher voltage caps now. So, he didn't expect that I will have any future problems. He said he hasn't had any come back. While this sounds promising, it'll probably take about a year or two to really know if it's fixed.

FWIW, I looked at the receipt. It shows quantity 8 of 3981G1017R2 caps. So, I assume they replaced 8 caps.

Hey there CouchPotato. Good to hear that you were one of the lucky one that had a 606 and was able to get it repaired within a short period of time. I have had mine in the local auth repair shop going on 3 months now and was just informed by them that the second problem that they were trying to fix, was not able to do, so that they had to send to regional reoair shop in New York to see if it not repairable do to MY fault or they may need to replace. looks like it may be another 1 or so before I am even sure that i may get something back. I just wish there was a way to find out info on who to contact beyong their customer service people(like some higher ups that might really be interested in Onkyo reputation, or lack there of). If anyone know where one might get this info or has it, it would be greatly appreciated.Looks like the ony way to go right now would be thru the BBB of NJ.
post #54 of 254
So I also have this problem. It is outrageous that so many people have had this issue, and it appears as though the resolution is to replace it with another faulty board? I'm no stranger to getting screwed in the home theater department, after taking part in the class action against panasonic for my replacement television ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=427888 ). This issue has class action written all over it. I am weary of returning my onkyo for "repairs", only to have it go out in another year. My first Onkyo was fantastic, which is why I went with this model. If anyone out there knows of a way to pursue a CA, please enlighten. This has obviously gone on long enough.
post #55 of 254
Add me to the growing list. I LOVE my 606 and have been extremely happy with it since I bought it. I got it at Circuit City sometime in 08 (June? July? I have no idea, and have no clue where the receipt is, either) The horror stories of dealing with Onkyo do not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. At this point I'm looking at the Sony as a possible replacement. (Those that know me know I'm not about to go a week without a receiver, much less months. ) After I get it set up and determine whether or not I'm happy with the new receiver, I'll then worry about how to get the 606 repaired. I've wanted a receiver for the bedroom anyway, so, I guess if I an get the 606 repaired properly it'll be put back in the living room and whatever new receiver I end up with will move to the bedroom. Or vice versa...the 606 could end up there. Whatever. I'm just amazed that they have THIS many problems with the 606. Great receiver, crappy quality, worse customer service. This is DEFINITELY the way to lose me as a customer. I'm not sure I can recommend Onkyo to anyone right now...
post #56 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

Add me to the growing list. I LOVE my 606 and have been extremely happy with it since I bought it. I got it at Circuit City sometime in 08 (June? July? I have no idea, and have no clue where the receipt is, either) The horror stories of dealing with Onkyo do not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. At this point I'm looking at the Sony as a possible replacement. (Those that know me know I'm not about to go a week without a receiver, much less months. ) After I get it set up and determine whether or not I'm happy with the new receiver, I'll then worry about how to get the 606 repaired. I've wanted a receiver for the bedroom anyway, so, I guess if I an get the 606 repaired properly it'll be put back in the living room and whatever new receiver I end up with will move to the bedroom. Or vice versa...the 606 could end up there. Whatever. I'm just amazed that they have THIS many problems with the 606. Great receiver, crappy quality, worse customer service. This is DEFINITELY the way to lose me as a customer. I'm not sure I can recommend Onkyo to anyone right now...

I know that I am not going to buy any more of Onkyo products. I called their regional repair center where my unit was sent last week(now going on 3 months within the repair system) and was told that they had just received auth. to go ahead and FIX the unit. Was also advised that they usually take about 5-7 days to repair, but that they are about 1 week behind, so now I am looking at 7-10 days for it to be repaired, in which they then ship back to the local repair center that sent it to them. By the time I may get this back, i should be going on a 4 month turn around. Thought I would send a complaint to the BBB of New Jersey, but before I do I was able to get an e-mail address for their Executive VP and National Service Mgr, so thought I might send them a letter. This may be a way to go. Really don't know. Just tired of dealing with them to try and get their product that is under warranty fixed in a reasonable amount of time!
post #57 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto5830 View Post

I know that I am not going to buy any more of Onkyo products. I called their regional repair center where my unit was sent last week(now going on 3 months within the repair system) and was told that they had just received auth. to go ahead and FIX the unit. Was also advised that they usually take about 5-7 days to repair, but that they are about 1 week behind, so now I am looking at 7-10 days for it to be repaired, in which they then ship back to the local repair center that sent it to them. By the time I may get this back, i should be going on a 4 month turn around. Thought I would send a complaint to the BBB of New Jersey, but before I do I was able to get an e-mail address for their Executive VP and National Service Mgr, so thought I might send them a letter. This may be a way to go. Really don't know. Just tired of dealing with them to try and get their product that is under warranty fixed in a reasonable amount of time!

I completely understand. I went out and bought a Pioneer ELITE to replace the Onkyo. Once my crazy holidays are over, then I'll contact the regional service center and arrange to send the onkyo in for repair. Once I get it back (ha ha), I'll end up using it for my bedroom setup. I wanted one for in there anyway, but, this is not exactly the way I envisioned getting one.
post #58 of 254
I have the exact same problem. I started to not get a signal for a few seconds then minutes then it would just not work. I read only that it was supposed to only affect the 1080P signal and to switch it to 1080i and sure enough it worked perfectly and still does. But already twice while playing Call of duty only multiplayer the screen will go black for a split second and then come back and yesterday it did that like 5 times in a row. I have no decided to replace this piece of garbage in my livingroom and will be purchasing the Pioneer Elite VSX-23 tomorrow. If this continues to work to a certain extent i will place it in my bedroom but i know it will give any day now. I actually recommended this receiver to 2 friends who purchased it and althought they havent had any problems one of them has already told me he will place his on ebay before it goes out. That is 3 people who will never buy from onkyo again. Worst part is I got this from another member at HHD.com so I dont even have original receipt to have it repaired.
post #59 of 254
I got the vsx-21txh and can tell you it's a FAR better receiver than the Onkyo. You hopefully won't be disappointed in it at all. The Onkyo 606 really should all be recalled and repaired for free even if they're out of warranty. And it shouldn't take months to get it done, either. Quite frankly given the horror show of Onkyo's CS, and the fact that I've had mine just over a year and a half, I'm pretty much done with Onkyo myself.
post #60 of 254
What kind of price are you guys getting these Pioneer receivers for and where? When I googled them they were much more expensive than the Onkyo. I need to replace my Onkyo also but I don't want to spend over three or four hundred dollars.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo 606 HDMI problems galore