Originally Posted by farris
wow... This dac is sweet! Are there any special deals available on this? Anyone know where one can buy an ex-demo?
These are as new as it gets; i wouldn't expect any deals or demos yet.
once i buy the tvs, projectors, amps, speakers... My budget is getting tight and this will probably need to be an upgrade later on (unless a great deal is available).cd and others,may i ask for some advice:the gear i am likely going to buy is as follows:video:
pioneer 6090 x2audio:
- lyngdorf tdai 2200
- lyngdorf sda-2175
- lyngdorf dp-1 speakers (front left and right)
- lyngdorf w-210 subs x 2 (music)
- onkyo 906 for center, surrounds and sub (lyngdorf subs don't go deep enough for movies but kick ass for music imho).
- sunfire xt series center and dipole surrounds
- 1 sunfire true signature eq sub (movies and games)[/i][/b]i have about $4k left in my budget to purchase anything else i might needdo you think a dac like the the perfect wave would be necessary to do justice to my equipment? Would a transporter be sufficient?is the onkyo outclassed by the rest of the gear for what it is doing? If so what would you recommend i substitute it with (please keep in mind the budget is tapping out)?would you recommend any changes to my equipment and are there any other pieces of kit that would really help enhance what i am buying?based on the above equipment, what is the ideal candidate for a music and video player (seperate components, pc or single peice of kit)? I realize this might be a repetative question, but i thought it might change after reviewing my kit.- the player/players need to have a tv or pronto 9800 interface
i hope the above isn't repetative and i appreicate your help
The PW DAC is as new as it gets; I wouldn't expect any deals or demos yet.
If you want to spend $1500 instead of $3k, the Transporter is more than fine. Are you planning to use the Onkyo 905 as Pre/Pro and
amplification of 5 channels, Center and 4 Surrounds? If so, yes, I'd say this will be the weak spot in your system. OTOH, if you're mostly about music and HT is an after-thought then you might be fine.
As has been said several time, and I know it's not what anyone wants to hear, but there really isn't ONE box that does everything, and does everything "the best". The best streamers for music are a Squeezebox or Sonos Receiver, run through an external DAC if you're really going for very, very revealing, high-level audio...or a Transporter, and none of them do video.
As for video, I know it's hard to believe the $215 PCH can represent the best streamer right now, but I think the PQ is great...provided you know what you're doing; it's a garbage-in, garbage-out kind of device. I mean, are you into ripping BD, and up on all your HD Audio codecs and stuff...or does the Ferrari keep you too busy for all that nonsense.
If so, PCH probably isn't for you...and that's probably where you get all that "the PCH is no good" talk...from those who don't know how to use it, or thought they would plug it in and press play like a DVD player.
Hope that helps,