or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 6384
I'll second the comment about load time. I'm comparing it with my A-35 so it seems blazingly fast.
post #212 of 6384
Hi everyone. I got my BDP-320 yesterday and noticed that the layer switch time on a couple of DVDs is around 1-2 seconds! Is this an anomoly? or are all of yours slow as well? I don't have this kind of switch time on any of my other DVD players and it's kind of surprising that any recent player would have that kind of switching time.

Thanks for any input!

Tim
post #213 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamon View Post

Hi everyone. I got my BDP-320 yesterday and noticed that the layer switch time on a couple of DVDs is around 1-2 seconds! Is this an anomoly? or are all of yours slow as well? I don't have this kind of switch time on any of my other DVD players and it's kind of surprising that any recent player would have that kind of switching time.

Thanks for any input!

Tim

unfortunately this is common ground with the 51 as well, with this happening with the 320 im really scratching my head why they bothered releasing this player
post #214 of 6384
hi. im new here. interested to get a pioneer. went to a lot of showroom and they are displaying 51 with pioneer plasma.

the image of the bd demo disc they displayed seems to be lagging. i mean the picture like playing in steps when it is movin fast.

does 320 picture 'lag'?

thanks.
post #215 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaulai View Post

hi. im new here. interested to get a pioneer. went to a lot of showroom and they are displaying 51 with pioneer plasma.

the image of the bd demo disc they displayed seems to be lagging. i mean the picture like playing in steps when it is movin fast.

does 320 picture 'lag'?

thanks.

Sounds like a set-up issue. I have the 51fd and I have never had any lag with it. Dont let display's in stores persuade you to not getting the pio.
post #216 of 6384
LOTR Two Tower had a distracting layer change in chapter 26. The pause was about one second and the audio over optical dropped causing my AVR's relays to audibly switch off then on.

This really is disappointing coming from the BDP-320. I really expected it to have issues such as this improved from the 51FD. I'm going to have to look up my return policy and think about getting the Oppo again.
post #217 of 6384
Has anyone else noticed that the "pioneer pdp" video setting is the same thing as the "professional" setting?
post #218 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

interesting, thanks. So you do have a BDP-51FD to use as a comparison?

yeah, it's definitely nice to have faster load-times. However this factor has never prevented me from enjoying video or music sources any less.............

I have two 51FDs. I have been doing side by sides with cds and cannot hear the difference on two channel analogue playback. I am connecting it to the front stereo input on my 906 and annoying my wife by asking if she can hear the difference!
post #219 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I have two 51FDs. I have been doing side by sides with cds and cannot hear the difference on two channel analogue playback. I am connecting it to the front stereo input on my 906 and annoying my wife by asking if she can hear the difference!

wow, this is really good to hear, thanks!
post #220 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy77 View Post

LOTR Two Tower had a distracting layer change in chapter 26. The pause was about one second and the audio over optical dropped causing my AVR's relays to audibly switch off then on.

This really is disappointing coming from the BDP-320. I really expected it to have issues such as this improved from the 51FD. I'm going to have to look up my return policy and think about getting the Oppo again.

Yup I feel the same way. How could a 2009 year-model pioneer blu-ray player have layer-change issue with DVDs? Too bad I can't return mine since I bought it from eBay. I blame myself for having a lack of patience. I should've waited for the oppo .
post #221 of 6384
^^

I think that this has something to do with the Blu-ray drive units so most (all?) Blu-ray players has a noticeable layer change.

Another reason why I'm keeping my Denon DVD-3930 for DVD use
post #222 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnet View Post

^^

I think that this has something to do with the Blu-ray drive units so most (all?) Blu-ray players has a noticeable layer change.

Another reason why I'm keeping my Denon DVD-3930 for DVD use

Does the new Sony and Panasonic blu-ray players have this issue? I know that the PS3 does not. How about the oppo?
post #223 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe View Post

Does the new Sony and Panasonic blu-ray players have this issue? I know that the PS3 does not. How about the oppo?

The oppo does not. I have owned almost every player to come out (except samsung) and the pioneer is by far the worst on layer change.
post #224 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post

The oppo does not. I have owned almost every player to come out (except samsung) and the pioneer is by far the worst on layer change.

I have to agree with madkaw, I own both the BDP 51FD and the Oppo 83. I believe the 51FD is a great player but it does have it's deficiencies and layer change happens to be the most obvious. The Oppo is almost imperceptible and that is with poorly authored discs. Most times I never notice the layer change..
post #225 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamon View Post

Hi everyone. I got my BDP-320 yesterday and noticed that the layer switch time on a couple of DVDs is around 1-2 seconds! Is this an anomoly? or are all of yours slow as well?

which SD-DVD titles did this occur with?
post #226 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy77 View Post

LOTR Two Tower had a distracting layer change in chapter 26. The pause was about one second and the audio over optical dropped causing my AVR's relays to audibly switch off then on.

This really is disappointing coming from the BDP-320. I really expected it to have issues such as this improved from the 51FD. I'm going to have to look up my return policy and think about getting the Oppo again.

gearguy77,

I agree that the layer change should have been improved on Pioneer's 2009 models. There is no reason why there should be a significant layer change on any models being introduced in 2009. I've read on AVS and other forums how manufacturers alleviate the potential for layer changes. So, unless there is a material cost involved in alleviating layer changes how come all manufacturers don't make this a priority? I own both the Pioneer 51FD and the Oppo BDP-83. To date I have never experienced a layer change on the Oppo and any layer changes (there have been several) with the Pioneer I have not been able to duplicate with the Oppo. I'm not saying that I will never notice a layer change with the Oppo, but it is definitely more accomplished than the 51FD and evidently the 320FD when handling layer changes. Presently I think the 51FD is a better purchase than the 320FD even if they both were the same price. I know 320FD decodes all HD audio and is BD Live, but I presently have BD Live turned off in the Oppo and the firmware update for HD audio on the 51FD is in QC.


Willie
post #227 of 6384
Willie, the issue is software development time. While DVD layer change time is an issue, DTS-MA decoding & BD-J stability were much higher priorities for Pioneer for obvious reasons (it is a Blu-ray player first and foremost). Pioneer was not in the best of shape financially and likely did not have enough money to hire more people to get these things completed in a more timely fashion.

It is likely buffered layer change for DVD can be implemented on the 51/05/09/320/23, but it has not happened to date because there have been other areas of the SoC that needed to be finished first. And to avoid confusion, there is no pause on BDs at the layer change - it is seamless.

I also agree the 51FD is a better deal than the 320, and probably the best value for the money on the market now period. But once the supply runs dry, the 51FD will be no more and the 120/320/23/09 will be the only options.
post #228 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

the issue is software development time. While DVD layer change time is an issue, DTS-MA decoding & BD-J stability were much higher priorities for Pioneer

I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

It is likely buffered layer change for DVD can be implemented on the 51/05/09/320/23. To avoid confusion, there is no pause on BDs at the layer change - it is seamles

hopefully Pioneer will implement the layer change at least for these new models. I would think these code changes could also be integrated into a future firmware upgrade for BDP-05FD/51FD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I also agree the 51FD is a better deal than the 320, and probably the best value for the money on the market now period. But once the supply runs dry, the 51FD will be no more and the 120/320/23/09 will be the only options

yeah, the BDP-05FD has been a great overall expenditure for me (even paying retail), it has provided robust, high-quality, performance for several months now. Very few errors or hiccups. I would only be interested in the BDP-23FD if I were considering one of the new models (in a similiar price-range).
post #229 of 6384
Thread Starter 
I have spent a great deal of time comparing the two over the past ten days or so. PQ performance and load times are identical as one could expect since they are both using the same chipset. In terms of audio quality over analogues, I worried that the burr browns might not be able to keep up with the highly touted wolfsons. I have been pleasantly surprised by the 320's audio section and have struggled to identify a difference in most sources (largely redbook CDs). The biggest strength of the 320 is the internet connection, and for some of us, smaller profile to fit neatly in tighter places (I know to some this is a drawback). I am struggling to find value in the Kurolink feature, but then again I have an 8G pioneer.

The 320 is a great player - in the sub $500 range I think it is likely your best alternative to the Oppo. It offers much superior SD upscaling than my Panasonic 55 and does not have the hdmi handshake poltergeist that afflict my Samsung 2550. With a roughly $350 streetprice, it's definitely a contender and deserves consideration amongst buyers. If the 320 were at the 51's price level, I would still recommend people opt for the 320. While the 51 will inevitably get its long awaited firmware, the 320 will be the current model and hopefully get a bit more attention as time goes on. Hell, maybe it will even get Netflix streaming as mentioned at CES.

I am happy with this player and it will take a semi-permanent place in my bedroom. The oppo is in the main setup, but would be happy with the Pioneer save it frustrating the family with load times.
post #230 of 6384
I havn't seen any comments yet as to weather or not the BDP-320 has good diagonal processing to prevent "jaggies".. Has anyone run the HQV benchmark disc yet? I also have not seen the mention of how smooth the FF/RW is.. Is it seamless and fluid or jerky when moving a SD/BD disc in Fast/Slow forward or Fast/Slow Rewind at various speeds? Lastly, A photo of the cover off showing the de-interlacer chipset would have beeen nice to have in this thread for referance and confirmation of the chipset.
post #231 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

I havn't seen any comments yet as to weather or not the BDP-320 has good diagonal processing to prevent "jaggies".. Has anyone run the HQV benchmark disc yet? I also have not seen the mention of how smooth the FF/RW is.. Is it seamless and fluid or jerky when moving a SD/BD disc in Fast/Slow forward or Fast/Slow Rewind at various speeds? Lastly, A photo of the cover off showing the de-interlacer chipset would have beeen nice to have in this thread for referance and confirmation of the chipset.

I have done the HQV test on the 51FD, which is very similar to the 320. It performs well on the test, on par with the Reon I'd say.

There are some weaknesses, and it appears to be on poorly encoded TV material, such as some Anime releases (i.e. Noein) and the first season of Family Guy. Then again, my Reon is actually worse on the first season of Family Guy, but better on Noein. So I'd say its on par with the Reon, but probably not as good as Realta or DVDO Edge.
post #232 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I worried that the burr browns might not be able to keep up with the highly touted wolfsons

I don't see why not? I guess all this (DAC stuff) is new to most people, seems most have no knowledge of DAC manufacturers and basic understanding of implementation. It's really a model-to-model comparison (in term of specs). All the popular DAC manufacturers make various models with different specs (ie. Wolfson, Burr Brown, Analog Devices, etc.,...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I have been pleasantly surprised by the 320's audio section and have struggled to identify a difference in most sources (largely redbook CDs)

this is good. I was more concerned with other analog compoenentry (ie. power-supply, etc.,...), being the chassis is much smaller than the BDP-05FD/51FD.
post #233 of 6384
The SD DVD I was experiencing the layer change with is Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended version. The layer change pause occurred during both discs. This problem was a deal breaker for me so the player is on it's way to meet its maker. Since the Oppo is not yet available, I'm thinking about the Samsung PD3600 for a short term solution until a better alternative is available.

Thanks for all the comments!
post #234 of 6384
I'm curious on any experiences with the Kuro Link? Is it a worthy feature to return my 51FD and get the 320? Will it make any difference on my 5020? Since 51FD's FW is in QA, I would think the rest of the features are a wash.
post #235 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post

I'm curious on any experiences with the Kuro Link? Is it a worthy feature to return my 51FD and get the 320? Will it make any difference on my 5020? Since 51FD's FW is in QA, I would think the rest of the features are a wash.

I struggled to find meaningful change when using kuro link directly connected to my 8G pioneer 5010. i turned it on and off and re-watched selected scenes.
post #236 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post

I'm curious on any experiences with the Kuro Link? Is it a worthy feature to return my 51FD and get the 320? Will it make any difference on my 5020? Since 51FD's FW is in QA, I would think the rest of the features are a wash.

Is "Kuro Link" any different from "HDMI Control"? If so, what specific differences are there? I was under the impression that they were both the same thing but maybe I'm wrong.
post #237 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

Is "Kuro Link" any different from "HDMI Control"? If so, what specific differences are there? I was under the impression that they were both the same thing but maybe I'm wrong.

KuroLink allegedly allows your pioneer kuro to "talk" to your 320 to optimize picture quality in addition to run of the mill CEC control. Here's the manufacturer's description:

KURO LINK: By connecting the BDP-320 to a Pioneer KURO flat
panel TV or monitor and a compatible Pioneer A/V receiver, KURO
LINK lets you operate the entire system's basic functions such as
power on/off and playback through KURO's remote control. The
new KURO LINK Video Adjustment System automatically switches to
optimal video settings adjusted by unique parameters developed by
Pioneer KURO and Blu-ray Disc player engineers.
post #238 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

KuroLink allegedly allows your pioneer kuro to "talk" to your 320 to optimize picture quality in addition to run of the mill CEC control.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

I think I remember reading something about that in one of the news releases.
post #239 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am looking forward to posting my "review" and "comparisons" on the 23FD here shortly...

Any news yet? Can't wait
post #240 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am looking forward to posting my "review" and "comparisons" on the 23FD here shortly...

cool, will be looking forward to your input. Especially curious to know if "Kuro-Link" is at all effective integrated with a Kuro display. Also any additional analog audio comparisons (to the BDP-05FD/51FD, Oppo BDP-83).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread