Ok bought the the Pioneer BDP 320 today and thought I would share my first impressions.
- Please bear in mind that my PS3 died so I could not do back to back comparisons. These are just my thoughts.
- Pioneer BDP 320 is FW3.34a
- briefly tested over a dozen Blurays, few favourite audio CDs and DVDs
1. build quality: excellent. remote not as nice as Pio Plasma and AVR though. also no blue light on power button.
- set-up: easy as pie. does it automatically with pioneer plasma and AVR. have not fiddled yet since getting familiar with it
- disc loading is slower than PS3, albeit not as bad as expected after reading up on some forums
- home media gallery feature seems pretty useless. I do use this feature quite a lot on my AVR to stream music from PC, but will not be using it on BDP.
- haven't updated firmware yet, wanted to play with toy - menu said it could take 90 minutes
. PS3 isn't really a stallion either tbh, always thought it was poor compared to Xbox.
3. BluRay: excellent. I briefly tested a dozen Blu Rays I am very familiar with.
- I can't see any difference with PS3 in PQ.
- AQ is louder than PS3, but that is a volume apsect not a quality one. However, I did notice an improvement on 300 - I always had an AQ issue with the True HD and PCM tracks on that with the PS3 and I no longer have this issue with 320. (I am sure of this since it really bothered me and would have no problem whatsoever getting it 100% right on blind test)
- upconversion to 1080p is better than PS3. yeah
I wasn't sure it would be before I bought it, so happy bunny
- layer change: haven't had time to test this. anyone know a specific disc where this happens so I could check it out fast. otherwise I will find out in due time.
5. CD: no comparison the Pio is better, I am really pleased. I do not know if it is attributable to PQLS, since I only been using that and didn't compare without it.
Conclusion. for BR PQ/AQ I can't say there is a difference between the PIO and PS3 (except that isolated instance I mentioned). I can't understand people who claim otherwise (I have seen the top of line Denon, Pio BDPLX71 and 51, Samsung 1580, S350 through in-store demos or at friends' and I never found any striking differences with the PS3). However for audio CD and DVD the Pio is superior to the PS3. As for reliability only time will tell, I certainly hope it fairs better than the PS3.