or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 6384
I don't understand why folks are so caught up with loading times on players as what the heck is the hurry? I'm happy so long as most any software I've throw at players I have load and play flawlessly WITHOUT any firmware upgrades.

I was going to wait for this player but decided to try the 51FD. Bottom line is I happy I did so because the 51FD has me really really impressed with both BD and SD DVD playback! I very good value IMHO!
post #32 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I don't understand why folks are so caught up with loading times on players as what the heck is the hurry? I'm happy so long as most any software I've throw at players I have load and play flawlessly WITHOUT any firmware upgrades.

I was going to wait for this player but decided to try the 51FD. Bottom line is I happy I did so because the 51FD has me really really impressed with both BD and SD DVD playback! I very good value IMHO!

I agree 100% with you. I recently "upgraded" from the Sony BDP-S350 to the 51FD and I am extremely happy with my decision. I will gladly give up loading time for better AV quality.
post #33 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post

I agree 100% with you. I recently "upgraded" from the Sony BDP-S350 and I am extremely happy with my decision. I will gladly give up loading time for better AV quality.

Really? I compared both the 350 and the pioneer at the same time with the smae disc and could not tell a difference....
This was with blu-ray playback only, maybe SD is a different animal...
Hmmmmm
post #34 of 6384
Yes I can actually see a little more detail in both BD's and SD DVD's with the Pioneer.
post #35 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

OK so far we know the 23 runs hotter and just as slow as the 51FD, but nobody answered the most important questions:

Hows the PQ compared to the 51FD??
Does the Kuro Link add any value to 9G owners?
How's the upscaling for SD DVD's?

Although its slightly disappointing to see the load times haven't improved, IMO 95% of the people who bought a 51FD value PQ over anything else.

PQ at 1080P 24fps is identical. same as from oppo in my opinion.

I have an 8G kuro - seen no difference in 51, 320, or oppo at 1080p 24fps material. shows 36 bit for all three.

upscaling comments will come over the weekend. first impressions are it is the same as hte 51fd
post #36 of 6384
Winston,

Thank you for all your efforts so far. Much appreciated.

I'm sticking with the 51FD unless something drastically changes with my testing of BD and SD DVD playback and the sound quality also. I'm glad I decided to try it. Now if only the price would drop on it even more before the return time policy. But I think there is a way the protect myself within Best Buy since I'm a Rewards member so I'll need to check on how. It would be greater than just 30 days from what I understand.
post #37 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Winston,

Thank you for all your efforts so far. Much appreciated.

I'm sticking with the 51FD unless something drastically changes with my testing of BD and SD DVD playback and the sound quality also. I'm glad I decided to try it. Now if only the price would drop on it even more before the return time policy. But I think there is a way the protect myself within Best Buy since I'm a Rewards member so I'll need to check on how. It would be greater than just 30 days from what I understand.

Thus far, I have not been overly impressed by the 320. I have not been unimpressed either, save the fact that I really hoped it would load and operate more quickly than the 51FD. I have not hooked it up to my Onkyo 906 over analogues and cannot make a comment on the Burr Brown DACs relative to Wolfsons (I would tend to defer to a more academic audiophile on this anyway).

Right now the value proposition of this for $400 and the 51 for $270 is leaning 51FD, which might prove superior in DAC quality and better build quality judging from early heat from my unit. Having DTS HD MA decoding is nice though...
post #38 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

It doesn't look like Pioneer went with the MediaTek system-on-chip MPEG decoder like they did with their SD players. According to someone at the Oppo BDP-83 thread, he/she read its firmware with a HEX editor and the Oppo definitly uses the MediaTek MT8520. I use a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV for SD playback. I was hoping Pioneer would base their Blu-ray players on that model, with the addition of all the BD formats, 7.1 analog, and HDMI 1.3A of course! Pioneer is supposed to form a joint venture with Sharp in the optical disc business around October 1, 2009. I wonder if Pioneer is going to sell their design to Sharp, or if Sharp is going to sell their design to Pioneer. While Oppo makes great digital transports, I'm not sure if their build quality is as heavy-duty as Pioneer's. I would like to see Pioneer (or Pioneer and Sharp) make a MediaTek-based Blu-ray player with either high-end Burr-Brown or Wolfson DACs, 7.1 analog preouts that can decode DTSHDMA, Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DSD, DVD-A, and all the compressed audio formats, HDMI 1.3A, Composite, S-video, Component Video, switchable black level, NTSC, Pal, and AUTO outputs, USB that can serve as a playback source and ripping to USB devices, and compatibility with CD, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, WAV, MP3, WMA, WMV, Real Audio, Real Video, AVI, MPEG, iTunes audio and SD&HD video, and all versions of SD and HD DivX.

Any comments on post 29? I know the Oppo BDP-83 and the Denon DVD-A1UDCI can play all those discs and formats, yet the Denon is too expensive. If Pioneer (or Pioneer and Sharp) could make something like in post 29, I'd jump into Blu-ray fairly soon!
post #39 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I don't understand why folks are so caught up with loading times on players as what the heck is the hurry? I'm happy so long as most any software I've throw at players I have load and play flawlessly WITHOUT any firmware upgrades.

Whilst I agree, im most disappointed that a year later Pioneer cant improve their models at least somehow. (this subject to the 05/51 getting dtsma-hd)
How the heck are they going to sell this when its no better, what will their sales pitch be? Its smaller and sleeker?
Pioneer had a great opportunity here as some Oppo "waiters" would maybe consider this model instead if the pq is the same.

Im also disappointed that as a 51 owner we will never see the promised performance upgrade as they cant do it with this new one, what hope have we got with older models.
post #40 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I don't understand why folks are so caught up with loading times on players as what the heck is the hurry?

I don't think it's being in a "hurry"...it's just that people want to see a progression, that things are moving forward, improving.

CD
post #41 of 6384
FYI. I was just updated that VE's BDP-320FDs are in route and are expected to arrive on Monday in CA and Tuesday in NY.

CD
post #42 of 6384
Winston,

Which HDMI color space are you using for your pioneer plasma? Did you just keep it on auto?
post #43 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

Winston,

Which HDMI color space are you using for your pioneer plasma? Did you just keep it on auto?

auto at the moment (same setting as i have with 51FD). will switch it to 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 and see what it looks like.
post #44 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe View Post

Just got my unit. My first imprssion, its beautiful and its slow! I will post more info soon. Here's a pic:[/IMG]

wow, that's a lot of boxes! You shouldn't need the Emotiva anymore, unless I guess you are using it for TV. And the other changer over on the left (silver) probably can go too
post #45 of 6384
Winston,
I'm intersted to know if you think the KURO link is a worthwhile feature since you have a Pioneer plasma. I'm guessing for most its a moot point if you use a universal remote.
post #46 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Winston,

Thank you for all your efforts so far. Much appreciated.

I'm sticking with the 51FD unless something drastically changes with my testing of BD and SD DVD playback and the sound quality also. I'm glad I decided to try it. Now if only the price would drop on it even more before the return time policy. But I think there is a way the protect myself within Best Buy since I'm a Rewards member so I'll need to check on how. It would be greater than just 30 days from what I understand.

If you are a silver Rewards member, return policy is 45 days.
post #47 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

auto at the moment (same setting as i have with 51FD). will switch it to 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 and see what it looks like.


Let me know what you're findings are. I have mine on auto for the moment as well, but would be interested to know what the ideal color space is on a kuro, as I have a kuro plasma as well.
post #48 of 6384
^^

FWIW, D-Nice recommended 4:4:4 when he did my kuro 151 calibration using the BDP-09 player.

ss9001
post #49 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^

FWIW, D-Nice recommended 4:4:4 when he did my kuro 151 calibration using the BDP-09 player.

ss9001


Oh really? I'll have to give it a shot and see if I can tell a difference. Then again, what if auto puts it at 4:4:4 anyways....
post #50 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

Oh really? I'll have to give it a shot and see if I can tell a difference. Then again, what if auto puts it at 4:4:4 anyways....

It does with mine.
post #51 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfats View Post

It does with mine.


yah, that's kinda what i thought.

Also does anyone know how to get the player to output 1080/24 when playing an SD DVD? I was under the impression that the pio players could do that. My sammy could not, and so far the sd dvd i tried plays at 1080/60.
post #52 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

It doesn't look like Pioneer went with the MediaTek system-on-chip MPEG decoder like they did with their SD players. According to someone at the Oppo BDP-83 thread, he/she read its firmware with a HEX editor and the Oppo definitly uses the MediaTek MT8520. I use a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV for SD playback. I was hoping Pioneer would base their Blu-ray players on that model, with the addition of all the BD formats, 7.1 analog, and HDMI 1.3A of course! Pioneer is supposed to form a joint venture with Sharp in the optical disc business around October 1, 2009. I wonder if Pioneer is going to sell their design to Sharp, or if Sharp is going to sell their design to Pioneer. While Oppo makes great digital transports, I'm not sure if their build quality is as heavy-duty as Pioneer's. I would like to see Pioneer (or Pioneer and Sharp) make a MediaTek-based Blu-ray player with either high-end Burr-Brown or Wolfson DACs, 7.1 analog preouts that can decode DTSHDMA, Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DSD, DVD-A, and all the compressed audio formats, HDMI 1.3A, Composite, S-video, Component Video, switchable black level, NTSC, Pal, and AUTO outputs, USB that can serve as a playback source and ripping to USB devices, and compatibility with CD, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, WAV, MP3, WMA, WMV, Real Audio, Real Video, AVI, MPEG, iTunes audio and SD&HD video, and all versions of SD and HD DivX.

Hello,
I believe with the 51/05 onwards, Pioneer developed an Soc in house as opposed to using Sigma Designs or Mediatek. 99.99999% sure anyway. I believe Pioneer's Soc is coined Renassis. I too would love Pioneer to incorporate SACD/DVD-A in their BD decks. Somewhat stunning omission in the 2k+ BDP-09FD. What is about Mediatek that makes you prefer it over other solutions?
Cheers,
AD
post #53 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

yah, that's kinda what i thought.

Also does anyone know how to get the player to output 1080/24 when playing an SD DVD? I was under the impression that the pio players could do that. My sammy could not, and so far the sd dvd i tried plays at 1080/60.

I do not think the Pioneer can 'force' 24fps on sd dvd. Oppo and panasonics can.
post #54 of 6384
Quick review of the 320.

My equipment:
Pioneer KURO 6020
Onkyo Pre/Pro 885
Emotiva IPS-1 amp

The unit is pretty light and slim. The disc tray is sturdy. It has a beautiful finish! Its quite slow (load/start up) compared to the PS3.
PQ---> Excellent! Slightly better than my PS3. The source direct mode gives me a slightly more neutral, flat and less noisy picture. Its sharp yet smooth. Most of the time however, the PQ is hard to distinguish when comparing to the PS3. Upscaling is similar to the HQV-Reon on my pre/pro. However I find both pretty soft. I prefer the upscale done by my TV.
AQ--->Decoding done in the player is pretty nice. However, letting my Onkyo do the decoding added more of a dynamic punch to the mix. I found this to be more of a measurable difference than the difference in PQ when comparing to the PS3. I'd say the audio decoded on my Pre/pro is about 30% better. I like the auto mode, which automatically determines whether or not your receiver can decode the encoded track and lets the receiver do the decoding if its capable of doing so. Nice!
Pioneer network server connection failed. Hope they fix it soon.
So far, I'm very happy with the unit. I just wish pioneer would make the unit a little faster with a firmware update in the future.

post #55 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe View Post

Quick review of the 320.
The unit is pretty light and slim. The disc tray is sturdy. It has a beautuful finish! Its quite slow compared to the PS3.
PQ---> Excellent! Slightly better than my PS3. The source direct mode gives me a slightly more neutral, flat and less noisy picture. Its sharp yet smooth. Most of the time however, the PQ is hard to distinguish when comparing to the PS3. Upscaling is similar to the HQV-Reon on my pre/pro. However I find both pretty soft. I prefer the upscale done by my TV.
AQ--->Decoding done in the player is pretty nice. However, letting my Onkyo do the decoding added more of a dynamic punch to the mix. I found this to be more of a measurable difference than the difference in PQ when comparing to the PS3. I'd say the audio decoded on my Pre/pro is about 30% better. I like the auto mode, which automatically determines whether or not your receiver can decode the encoded track and lets the receiver doing the decoding if its capable of doing so. Nice!
Pioneer network server connection failed. Hope they fix it soon.
So far, I'm very happy with the unit. I just wish pioneer would make the unit a little faster with a firmware update in the future.

Agree with comments above - PQ is very strong, just wish Pioneer had made some incremental improvement in speed. It's what's holding this player back at this point.
post #56 of 6384
Agreed on both points as well. This will be my 3rd BD player that I've reguarly watched movies on.

The first was a sammy bd up 5000, then after that unit died I had to watch movies on my PS3 for a while, and now i'm onto the 320. And I can say so far that the PQ on the 320 is noticeably sharper and clearer on this unit. Maybe it'd be hard to see the difference if I could go back and get my sammy to work and put them side by side, but I can quite clearly see the difference in PQ from the ps3. It's not as soft as a picture, everything is much sharper and clearer.

Love being able to switch resolutions on the fly, that's cool. Personally I keep it on Auto, because if I kept it on source direct it would play all my SD DVD's in 480i, and i watch alot of old tv shows on dvd. Plus keeping it on auto still plays blu rays at 1080/24.

Upscaling is pretty much the same as the reon was in my sammy. I'm not gonna lie and say it looks better on this new player, it might have looked SLIGHTLY better on the reon, but it's still miles ahead of the PS3 for upscaling, and it's not enough of a noticeable difference (if any, I'm not honestly sure) that it is of any concern. This until will be my standard unit to play all my SD DVD's as well.
post #57 of 6384
Also KURO link does not work through my Onkyo 885.....no surprise.
post #58 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe View Post

Also KURO link does not work through my Onkyo 885.....no surprise.

So for those with the 320 already, which would you recommend to others: 320, PS3, or the Oppo?? I'm looking for the ability to play BD, very good PQ, and nice AQ.
post #59 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

So for those with the 320 already, which would you recommend to others: 320, PS3, or the Oppo??

If you don't mind paying the extra $$, I'd recommend the Oppo, even though I never owned one. Given that the PQ is equivalent, you get a faster player, the ability to play SACD and DVD-Audio, great Anchor Bay VRS scaler, and excellent customer service.

The PS3 will be my best for the buck all around player/gaming/multi-media device. I've had it since its launch date back in Nov 06. Would buy another one in a heart-beat when/if my current one dies.
post #60 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

wow, that's a lot of boxes! You shouldn't need the Emotiva anymore, unless I guess you are using it for TV. And the other changer over on the left (silver) probably can go too

Actually the Emotiva is the amp for my pre/pro. I don't have a receiver with a built-in amp. So the Emotiva is a keeper! The other silver set top is a DVD-R/RW Recorder. Yeah that will eventually go...just waiting to exchange it with a blu-ray recorder .
More pics @ my HT Gallery.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread