or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread - Page 146

post #4351 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickosbad View Post

Yeah I was looking on that site yesterday but couldn't find the review of the 320 although it was referenced quite a lot.

I believe you said you have a Kuro display and an LX60 receiver. If the LX60 has PQLS via HDMI (I'd imagine it would), by all means, get either the BDP-320 or BDP-LX52 to add that final finishing touch to your system. Whatever you do, don't confuse the BDP-LX52 and BDP-LX53! The LX53 is really a Sharp with a Pioneer badge. You can't tweek picture settings with the 53. The 53 is more basic. So if you get an LX series BD player, make sure it's the 52. By the way, if you want PQLS, the 320 only does stereo PQLS. The LX52 will do multi-channel PQLS once you set the HDMI audio output to PCM. Whether you plan on the 320 or LX52, I'd hurry up and make your move before they're all gone!
post #4352 of 6384
Using my BDP-320 with my 19" Philips 19PFL5422D LCD HDTV, I get deeper blacks and better contrast via Component than via HDMI whether I set HDMI color space to AUTO, YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:4:4, or RGB (16 to 235). When I set HDMI color space to RGB (0 to 255), I get the same good blacks and good contrast as via Component. However, with this setting, dark colors are shown as uniform black via HDMI. These findings bother me a little bit because Blu-ray is supposed to be used via HDMI. Yet why isn't my video as good via HDMI? Is the problem with my BDP-320, my 19" Philips LCD HDTV, or is it the different characteristics of HDMI and Component?
post #4353 of 6384
^^^ This is a topic that hasn't been talked about yet Big C. I'm glad you brought it up. Perhaps owners can sound off on their experiences. This is the first time that I've heard that analog beats HDMI.
post #4354 of 6384
at 19 inches for a screen,what is the resolution?

not to knock your tv,but it pails in comparison to those posting real world issues and results
post #4355 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Using my BDP-320 with my 19" Philips 19PFL5422D LCD HDTV, I get deeper blacks and better contrast via Component than via HDMI whether I set HDMI color space to AUTO, YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:4:4, or RGB (16 to 235). When I set HDMI color space to RGB (0 to 255), I get the same good blacks and good contrast as via Component. However, with this setting, dark colors are shown as uniform black via HDMI. These findings bother me a little bit because Blu-ray is supposed to be used via HDMI. Yet why isn't my video as good via HDMI? Is the problem with my BDP-320, my 19" Philips LCD HDTV, or is it the different characteristics of HDMI and Component?

19 inches? one can argue you cannot even see the difference of 480p and 1080p at 19 inches unless you're sitting an inch from the display.
post #4356 of 6384
Agreed. I had a 30" 1080i tube and an 875 Onkyo with the Reon scaler. My very first BD player was a Samsung 1500. I was hard-pressed to tell the difference between DVD and BD in that setup seated 8 ft. away, so I returned the Samsung in the 30 day window.
post #4357 of 6384
I believe my LCD HDTV's resolution is 1400x900. Switching my BDP-320's output resolution doesn't make a difference regarding my observations. I just hope that my BDP-320 will have better video via HDMI than via Component when I get a 32" to 37" HDTV in my livingroom some day.
post #4358 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I believe my LCD HDTV's resolution is 1400x900. Switching my BDP-320's output resolution doesn't make a difference regarding my observations. I just hope that my BDP-320 will have better video via HDMI than via Component when I get a 32" to 37" HDTV in my livingroom some day.

before you indict the 320, it may have all to do with the component section of the tv relative to the hdmi. colorspace with different default ire might be causing it. i would not be surprised if the component were just crushing blacks, losing shadow detail, but giving the appearance of blacker blacks. many folks wrongly think they are getting better blacks with darker video options.

best way to tell is use a test disc to callibrate the player for the respective output.
post #4359 of 6384
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I believe my LCD HDTV's resolution is 1400x900. Switching my BDP-320's output resolution doesn't make a difference regarding my observations. I just hope that my BDP-320 will have better video via HDMI than via Component when I get a 32" to 37" HDTV in my livingroom some day.

oh and your earlier comment re rgb might be very much display-specific and not source specific
post #4360 of 6384
I use the THX setup utility on the Starwars Episode IV SD DVD. Component looks the best because of the ability to pass below black, see darker passages, and show all shades between pitch black, gray, and bright white. Via HDMI, I either lose dark parts of the picture with the RGB (0 to 255) setting, or cannot get pitch black, but see every shade on the THX setup utility using any of the other HDMI color space options. I was thinking that some TVs' strength is their Component Video section, while other TVs' strength is their HDMI section. So I guess when I need a 32" to 37" TV for my livingroom, I'll have to take my BDP-320 to the store and set the TV's backlighting and video adjustments to my liking and pick the TV that looks the best.
post #4361 of 6384
I also posted this in the Panny 85K forum...sorry if double posting is a faux pas, but I wanted any opinions from this court as well.


I'm considering between the Panny BD85 and the Pioneer BDP-320. The best DVD upconversion is v. important to me. Is there anyone who has done a side-by-side? I know the Pioneer is excellent, winston gives it a 9. The BD65 only gets an 8, but I've heard that the 85 does a better job then the 65. Thanks.

-Nikolai
post #4362 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I was thinking that some TVs' strength is their Component Video section, while other TVs' strength is their HDMI section.

Some players won't upsample DVDs over a component connection but will over HDMI--is this the case with the 320?
post #4363 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I use the THX setup utility on the Starwars Episode IV SD DVD. Component looks the best because of the ability to pass below black, see darker passages, and show all shades between pitch black, gray, and bright white. Via HDMI, I either lose dark parts of the picture with the RGB (0 to 255) setting, or cannot get pitch black, but see every shade on the THX setup utility using any of the other HDMI color space options. I was thinking that some TVs' strength is their Component Video section, while other TVs' strength is their HDMI section. So I guess when I need a 32" to 37" TV for my livingroom, I'll have to take my BDP-320 to the store and set the TV's backlighting and video adjustments to my liking and pick the TV that looks the best.

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with your TV and not the 320.

I had my TV, a Pioneer Elite plasma, professionally calibrated by a highly regarded calibrator (D-Nice on the AVS Forum; he's considered quite the Pioneer guru). At the time I was using a Pioneer BDP 51 player. In terms of PQ, the 51 is indentical to the 320 (at least via HDMI). The only PQ adjustment required in the player was to lower White Level down 1 click due to a known issue with some Pioneer plasma/Pioneer BD player combos crushing whiter-than-white signals.

When I replaced my 51 with the 320, I contacted D-Nice to see how this would affect my calibration. He said that the 320's picture performance was identical to the 51 and to just lower white level just as was done on the 51.

So it would appear that there is no issue like you described with the Pioneer BD players, hence my guess that it is your TV causing the issue. Perhaps the factory calibration on your component inputs is better than your HDMI inputs and the user controls don't allow you to correct this (it may require service menu level adjustments which you cannot access).

Hope this helps.

PS - To those who responded by just criticizing the poster's TV, that was unecessary, is no help to anyone, and is not the purpose of this forum.
post #4364 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Some players won't upsample DVDs over a component connection but will over HDMI--is this the case with the 320?

My understanding is that no BD player will upscale DVDs via component (violates the rules), so for DVD via component you are restricted to 480p. Also, at least until recently, BD output via component was restricted to 1080i (component is perfectly capable of transmitting 1080p signals). I understand that soon, if not already started, that BD output via component will be restricted to 480p.
post #4365 of 6384
The BDP-320 will play BDs at 1080i via Component, but can only play SD DVDs at 480p via Component. The output resolution has no effect on the issues I described. It makes sense that the problem would lie in the TV. So I guess this is an indicator that when I'm ready to get a 32"-37" TV, I'll have to take my 320 to the store with me, compare each TV's HDMI and Component performance, pick the TV with the best results, and connect it to the better input.
post #4366 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai01 View Post

I'm considering between the Panny BD85 and the Pioneer BDP-320. The best DVD upconversion is v. important to me. Is there anyone who has done a side-by-side? I know the Pioneer is excellent, winston gives it a 9. The BD65 only gets an 8, but I've heard that the 85 does a better job then the 65.

I wouln't mind seeing some views on this comparison too. I'm trying to make the same choice.
post #4367 of 6384
Have been off the forum for some time overseas, can someone kindly tell me how to access Winstons's Blu-ray Player reviews.
Google is leading me all around the shop with no assistant.
post #4368 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post

Have been off the forum for some time overseas, can someone kindly tell me how to access Winstons's Blu-ray Player reviews.
Google is leading me all around the shop with no assistant.

Fishhooks,

I would just PM Winston. His forum id is winston9332.


Willie
post #4369 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post

Have been off the forum for some time overseas, can someone kindly tell me how to access Winstons's Blu-ray Player reviews.
Google is leading me all around the shop with no assistant.

http://winstonsreviews.com/
post #4370 of 6384
Thanks guys.

I was looking for a review of the Pioneer BDP-LX52 which I think is a 320 in the States.
I can't find it on Winston's site!
The "HOME" does not appear to have any form of index? Maybe me!
post #4371 of 6384
I'm currently using the hdmi out on my 23fd. Will the digital connections output audio simultaneously or the analog outs?
post #4372 of 6384
no from the optical..I believe you might get 2 channel pcm from the analog outs
post #4373 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhooks View Post

Thanks guys.

I was looking for a review of the Pioneer BDP-LX52 which I think is a 320 in the States.
I can't find it on Winston's site!
The "HOME" does not appear to have any form of index? Maybe me!

I believe that the BDP-LX52 is actually equivalent to the ELITE BDP-23FD.

Here is a review....

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...ay-player.html

Kind Regards,
Basheer
post #4374 of 6384
Still not sure if I'm going to keep my 320 (not even opened yet). Bought it as an impulse buy, but really have no place to put it.
post #4375 of 6384
I bought 320 at a great price. Should be here next week. I will see how it holds up against the Oppo-83 and Sony 1000ES.
post #4376 of 6384
Not sure where you guys are purchasing the 320's but I am not having any luck at all. Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #4377 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfred View Post

Not sure where you guys are purchasing the 320's but I am not having any luck at all. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'll sell you mine.
post #4378 of 6384
dsskid,

Sent you a PM
post #4379 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfred View Post

Not sure where you guys are purchasing the 320's but I am not having any luck at all. Any ideas would be appreciated.


My local BB had 4 remaining @ the markdown price of $199 two weeks ago. I'd suggest you call around to your local BB stores.
post #4380 of 6384
Thanks Basheer for the link to the BDP-23FD.

It appears the LX-52 is a model somewhere between the BDP-320 and the 23FD.
The 52 does not have the 7.1 outputs.

I've had the 52 now for about 5 days and it's supurb, bit pricy in AUS ticketed at $999 (about US$920), but usually sells for a few hundred dollars under that.
I think there is a new model arriving here shortly to replace the LX-52, but no details yet. A retailer guessed it will be an LX-54, 3D capable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread