or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread - Page 209

post #6241 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Video out - 16:9
4:3 video out - full
HDMI hi speed - on
HDMI color space - RGB 16 to 235
HDMI audio out - On if you want sound thru the tv, Off if not (I have mine set to Off)
Kuro Link - I don't use this, so I have it set to off.
Playback still picture - Auto
Angle/secondary indicator - Off
Hybrid disc playback - BD
BDMV/BDAV Playback priority - BDAV
Sorry for the delayed response. Hope this helps.

No problem.

I have most of those set to where you have them set to, except...

4:3 video out. Mine is set to Normal. I was told by someone else to set it to Normal. Normal (black bars are shown on the left and right as it should be on a 16:9 screen).

BDMV/BDAV. I was told on here to set it to BDMV because all commercial BD movies use the BDMV structure.

Mind you, my Kuro plasma tv is NOT hooked up to any reciever or amp, just a Pio bd player.
post #6242 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

No problem.
I have most of those set to where you have them set to, except...
4:3 video out. Mine is set to Normal. I was told by someone else to set it to Normal. Normal (black bars are shown on the left and right as it should be on a 16:9 screen).
BDMV/BDAV. I was told on here to set it to BDMV because all commercial BD movies use the BDMV structure.
Mind you, my Kuro plasma tv is NOT hooked up to any reciever or amp, just a Pio bd player.

Are you also using the Memory video setting with White Level turned down one notch? When D-Nice calibrated my 151 he showed me why it should be set this way using some test patterns.

BTW, my Kuro is one of my favorite pieces of equipment I've ever owned. wink.gif
post #6243 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Are you also using the Memory video setting with White Level turned down one notch? When D-Nice calibrated my 151 he showed me why it should be set this way using some test patterns.
BTW, my Kuro is one of my favorite pieces of equipment I've ever owned. wink.gif

Yes, my bd player's settings are set at Memory with white level turned down on notch.

With regards to my comments above about 4:3 video out and BDMV what do you think?
post #6244 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Yes, my bd player's settings are set at Memory with white level turned down on notch.
With regards to my comments above about 4:3 video out and BDMV what do you think?

Concerning the 4:3 video out, depending on content I usually let my Kuro stretch 4:3 content to fill the screen (I know some here just fainted when I said that! eek.gif ) which is why I have it set to Full. I know it makes no sense (what humans do often doesn't wink.gif ), but while I don't mind black bars on the top and bottom and generally prefer everything in OAR, for some reason I don't like them on the sides. redface.gif As I understand it, if you want the BD player to add black bars to the sides of 4:3 content to maintain OAR then your setting is correct. Of course even with 4:3 set to Full, the same thing can be accomplished using the settings on the Kuro. Now that I think about it, I want to say setting it to Full had something to do with properly displaying non anamorphic DVDs, of which I have a few. You could certainly try both settings and see what works best for you.

I just left BDMV/BDAV Playback priority at it's default setting and have no issues playing any of my BDs, some of which are imported region free BDs. I don't think that setting has anything to do with picture quality, but tells the player which format to use in case a disc with both formats is used (hybrid disc?). Of course if I'm wrong someone who knows better can correct me.
post #6245 of 6384
I cant seem to update my player. I tried burning the ISO file on a disc and when i put it into the player it reads as a data disc. Any other way of doing a firmware update? i have wifi only so i cant connect it to the net. (unless i try it at work, but its been years since i have done it with the net so i forget how), could i maybe with usb?


***edit, never mind i was trying to burn it the wrong way as i made my own iso file, then i found the one in the zip and burned it, all good**
Edited by Hostility - 1/3/13 at 5:40pm
post #6246 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post

I cant seem to update my player. I tried burning the ISO file on a disc and when i put it into the player it reads as a data disc. Any other way of doing a firmware update? i have wifi only so i cant connect it to the net. (unless i try it at work, but its been years since i have done it with the net so i forget how), could i maybe with usb?
***edit, never mind i was trying to burn it the wrong way as i made my own iso file, then i found the one in the zip and burned it, all good**

Glad you found the solution. smile.gif
post #6247 of 6384
Hey guy keep in mind that on an older player if an update is not needed for whats more important, or newer players all 2013 have Cinavia Technology installed or in a update, you want to Google this cause you wont be able to play of watch nothing other than original, sat bye to all old copies, I buy older used 2010 or 2011 don't update.
post #6248 of 6384
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you wrote at all.
post #6249 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanguy007 View Post

Hey guy keep in mind that on an older player if an update is not needed for whats more important, or newer players all 2013 have Cinavia Technology installed or in a update, you want to Google this cause you wont be able to play of watch nothing other than original, sat bye to all old copies, I buy older used 2010 or 2011 don't update.

Cinavia Technology...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia
post #6250 of 6384
Google Cinavia Technology This is installed in all new 2112 Blue ray DVD CD players, by law and this wont allow you to play anything that's not original, there goes all copied movies........if you check Amazon .com OPPO use to cost $1200.00 now only $499.00 Brand New, read the reviews at Amazon on the new oppo some people found out and back their sending them, I sent back 2 2012 1 sony 1 panasonic same crap ,I bought 1 2010 and 1 2011 .
post #6251 of 6384
^^^

A couple of questions about Cinavia:

1. When did this start getting added to retail discs?
2. Is it included on DVDs as well as VDs?
post #6252 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanguy007 View Post

Google Cinavia Technology This is installed in all new 2112 Blue ray DVD CD players, by law and this wont allow you to play anything that's not original, there goes all copied movies.

Is this to prevent piracy and illegal downloading of movies? If so, I'm all for it.
post #6253 of 6384
you want goggle Cinavia Technology there is alot more than that to it .
post #6254 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanguy007 View Post

Google Cinavia Technology This is installed in all new 2112 Blue ray DVD CD players, by law and this wont allow you to play anything that's not original, there goes all copied movies........if you check Amazon .com OPPO use to cost $1200.00 now only $499.00 Brand New, read the reviews at Amazon on the new oppo some people found out and back their sending them, I sent back 2 2012 1 sony 1 panasonic same crap ,I bought 1 2010 and 1 2011 .

Your Oppo comment is misleading. They currently have 2 models, the BDP 103 at $499 and the BDP 105 at $1199. Oppo has never discounted their players as they are already a bargain for what they offer.

I also scanned through the reviews on Amazon, and while there was one complaint that Cinavia is included, there were no mentions of anyone returning their player because of this.

You really should strive to provide accurate information in your posts. Not doing so helps no one.

Unless one is playing copied BDs or believes they can hear the effects of the watermark (I've not seen any double blind test on this), then I wouldn't buy an older BD player for the sole purpose of avoiding Cinavia.
Edited by Saturn94 - 1/10/13 at 4:19pm
post #6255 of 6384
its the OPPO BDP-103 Page 2 on Amazon ,and its plastered allover the net both of my OPPO 83 and 95 got it on an update already call OPPO and see, ITt might not affect you for a while and first you have to understand to what and how it works.
post #6256 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanguy007 View Post

Google Cinavia Technology This is installed in all new 2112 Blue ray DVD CD players, by law and this wont allow you to play anything that's not original, there goes all copied movies........if you check Amazon .com OPPO use to cost $1200.00 now only $499.00 Brand New, read the reviews at Amazon on the new oppo some people found out and back their sending them, I sent back 2 2012 1 sony 1 panasonic same crap ,I bought 1 2010 and 1 2011 .

LOL, it's not "by law." Congress didn't decide on this, the studios did. And if you are trying to avoid the new copy protection scheme by not updating your firmware, your attempt will be futile as newer BD releases will require a firmware update in order to play. There is no avoiding it, so stop with the "OH MY GOD CINAVIA!" You're just going to have to face it, you're not going to be able to play your bootlegged copies anymore. Sorry.

And i agree with Saturn94, your comment is misleading. Oppo 83,93, and 103 were always $499. Whereas the 83SE, 95 and now 105 ranged from $899-$1199.
post #6257 of 6384
I don't advocate pirating, but if you have made backup copies of your purchased DVDs because your kids are rough on your store bought ones, they will still play on a DVD player, since there are no firmware updates for them. So if it's a concern, don't throw away your old DVD player.
post #6258 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanguy007 View Post

its the OPPO BDP-103 Page 2 on Amazon ,and its plastered allover the net both of my OPPO 83 and 95 got it on an update already call OPPO and see, ITt might not affect you for a while and first you have to understand to what and how it works.

Links please......
post #6259 of 6384
Uhm... not an Oppo thread.
post #6260 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Uhm... not an Oppo thread.

My apologies. I believe I made my point about that poster, so I'll leave it there.

Btw, I'm a Pioneer 320 BD player owner, not an Oppo BD player owner. wink.gif
post #6261 of 6384
OK, had my 23FD since 2009 and this is a first on me. been doing a Harry Potter marathon with the kids and when I popped in Half Blood Prince it won't play. It goes to a menu which allows me to view features, or language setup. Trying anything else is prohibited or not allowed by the disc. I have the latest FW.

I have tried:
ejecting the disc and reloading
pessing stop multiple times to turn resume off
unplugging the player for a few minutes and plugging it back in
doing a reset on the player


I tried doing some searches to see if this is a known problem, can't find anything. Any ideas or anybody else have this problem?
post #6262 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post

OK, had my 23FD since 2009 and this is a first on me. been doing a Harry Potter marathon with the kids and when I popped in Half Blood Prince it won't play. It goes to a menu which allows me to view features, or language setup. Trying anything else is prohibited or not allowed by the disc. I have the latest FW.

I have tried:
ejecting the disc and reloading
pessing stop multiple times to turn resume off
unplugging the player for a few minutes and plugging it back in
doing a reset on the player


I tried doing some searches to see if this is a known problem, can't find anything. Any ideas or anybody else have this problem?

Try clearing the persistant storage. If it is full you can not load any discs until you empty it out. I sometimes found that the data stored on it might corrupt the data from the next disc you play. I always clear this after I eject a movie so I don't run into these problems. I learned this back from the HD DVD days as I ran into this problem. Erasing the storage is in the setup menu some where. I think you have to hit the tools button on the remote. I think you can even reformat the storage also. I f this doesn't help turn off BD Live if enabled.
post #6263 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanguy007 View Post

its the OPPO BDP-103 Page 2 on Amazon ,and its plastered allover the net both of my OPPO 83 and 95 got it on an update already call OPPO and see, ITt might not affect you for a while and first you have to understand to what and how it works.

I know this is a Pioneer thread, but this statement is incorrect. The OPPO 83 and 95 players listed here do NOT have Cinavia. It cannot be added via firmware. The 103 has Cinavia, as it has the hardware to support it.
post #6264 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Try clearing the persistant storage. If it is full you can not load any discs until you empty it out. I sometimes found that the data stored on it might corrupt the data from the next disc you play. I always clear this after I eject a movie so I don't run into these problems. I learned this back from the HD DVD days as I ran into this problem. Erasing the storage is in the setup menu some where. I think you have to hit the tools button on the remote. I think you can even reformat the storage also. I f this doesn't help turn off BD Live if enabled.

Thanks Jed1 for the suggestions.

Tried reformatting the storage and still no go. I went through the menus and couldn't find how to turn off BD Live, never had it connected anyway.

The player does seem to load and play other BD's no problem. I did notice a few times in recent months that sometimes while watching a movie on DVD, I could not get to the menu during the movie, player would say it was prohibited by the disc.

Maybe I'll call Pioneer, see what they say.

Odd thing is I know I've watched it at least once before on this player since the movie came out after I bought the 23FD.

Thanks
post #6265 of 6384
Well, LOL, I guess the wife has been right all these years. I am a bonehead. It works better to put in the disc labeled "disc 1 Movie", not "disc 2 special features. Fortunately no one else was around when I had my revelation, otherwise I would never hear the end of it.
post #6266 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post

Well, LOL, I guess the wife has been right all these years. I am a bonehead. It works better to put in the disc labeled "disc 1 Movie", not "disc 2 special features. Fortunately no one else was around when I had my revelation, otherwise I would never hear the end of it.

Don't worry, we won't tell. We've all had our bonehead moments! While we are fessing up, my last one was when I got a new pair of speakers that have built in subs/amps. Set them up, put on some music, and couldn't figure out why the bass sounded much thinner than I remembered when I auditioned. Composed a quick email to the manufacturer and just as I clicked on "send", it occurred to me what the problem was.....forgot to turn on the sub amps! Of course the manufacturer replied quickly asking if I had turned the amps on....
Edited by Saturn94 - 1/20/13 at 11:27am
post #6267 of 6384
Anyone know if there is a region free unlock for the BDP-23FD?

Considering buying a blu-ray from the UK (I live in Canada), but I think it's region specific....so I'm worried that my 23FD won't play it.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Never-Say-Never-Again-Blu-ray/63248/

I tried searching the thread...but all the asks were for DVD region free unlocks...not for Blu-Ray.

Thanks,
Basheer
post #6268 of 6384
All the other Bond (the official canon) discs from the UK SE box-set are region free except QoS so NSNA is likely to be region free.

A local Canadian ver of NSNA was released some time ago and I have it.

In any case my 51FD and 320 (and by implication the 23FD) have played nearly every 'region B locked' discs (3 out of about 50), including Fox UK discs. Different players respond to region coding differently and a few can be tricked to play another region.

Some sites offer region mod players but it's not worth it if you have the Pioneer already.

If the above two players really can't play it I have the Walmart Seiki which is region selectable.
post #6269 of 6384
Any idea what the 320 is going for used? I replaced mine with a Panny 220 and fleabay is of no help as they are mostly USED units missing remotes and such. I liked the 320 but it is slow to load and the Panny has awesome networking features.
post #6270 of 6384
Quote:
Originally Posted by laeriq View Post

Any idea what the 320 is going for used? I replaced mine with a Panny 220 and fleabay is of no help as they are mostly USED units missing remotes and such. I liked the 320 but it is slow to load and the Panny has awesome networking features.

I'll pay you $10 (shipping included)... tongue.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. Now, seriously: the 51FD (previous model) is at $100 on ebay, I guess you can ask the same or a little more than that (although the guy has received no bids so far).

VMat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread