or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung LNxxB650 Calibration/Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung LNxxB650 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

SoundsGood, hate to break it but since you have a rare S panel 55"b650, you won't be able to get a pretty good calibration from other owners here with a C panel 55"b650 considering that those panels will differ in the calibration.

You should try looking for settings on the similar 46"b650 s panels

Very good point.

Thanks...
post #212 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Are you sure? Well, I'll try it -- but these settings look like they'd produce a darker picture than Natural, not brighter.


EDIT: Just tried it. Thanks for the suggestion, but there's no way these settings are "brighter with more details than NATURAL."

Trying raising the backlight until it looks bright enough, maybe even contrast a bit if it's not already at the default 95. Then, use auto-dimming in SM or energy saving to auto or dynamic contrast to low to keep blacks dark. If you don't like the pic after that, odds are you should stick to standard or natural, which have auto-dimming on by default.
post #213 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

If you don't like the pic after that, odds are you should stick to standard or natural, which have auto-dimming on by default.

I think that's what I'll do. Thanks for the help!
post #214 of 328
I have reviewed several postings here regarding calibration settings. I just bought LN55B650 and hooked up my dish DVR, none HD, via audio-video cables, but I am seeing cross hatches on my screens on some channels. I have tried both Standard and Movie settings mentioned previously in different postings. Any help would be appreciated.
post #215 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansan View Post

I have reviewed several postings here regarding calibration settings. I just bought LN55B650 and hooked up my dish DVR, none HD, via audio-video cables, but I am seeing cross hatches on my screens on some channels. I have tried both Standard and Movie settings mentioned previously in different postings. Any help would be appreciated.

Not 100% sure but sounds like a scaling issue. Check the picture size/format setting and use the highest quality cable you can (HDMI first then Component then S-Video then Composite). If you can post a pic, it might be easier to understand the problem.
post #216 of 328
I had a look at the 650 display in the local Electronics shop. Compared to the Panasonic and other panels, the 650 has images that are oversharpened. Just like a photo that is oversharpened in Photoshop. It looks unnatural. Is this a result of wrong calibration settings in the shop or that's just the result of the DNIe engine or the 100Hz produced artifacts. Has anyone noticed this? the shop was playing a Blu Ray disc. Wonder how it will look with a SD disc.
post #217 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by khewa View Post

I had a look at the 650 display in the local Electronics shop. Compared to the Panasonic and other panels, the 650 has images that are oversharpened. Just like a photo that is oversharpened in Photoshop. It looks unnatural. Is this a result of wrong calibration settings in the shop or that's just the result of the DNIe engine or the 100Hz produced artifacts. Has anyone noticed this? the shop was playing a Blu Ray disc. Wonder how it will look with a SD disc.

sharpness is set too high in most pic modes... if turned down or to zero, the pic will look normal
post #218 of 328
I am using Dish network DVR 625, which does not have an S-video output or HDMI output. It has only composite outputs and coaxial output. I have noticed by turning down sharpness to 0, it helps quite a bit, but I still see little bit of these cross hatches and sometime little bit blurry image. I am using Auto Motion custom setting of 10/0. Its difficult to take any picture. I may have to live like this or switch to a HD DVR with an HDMI output.
post #219 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by khansan View Post

I am using Dish network DVR 625, which does not have an S-video output or HDMI output. It has only composite outputs and coaxial output. I have noticed by turning down sharpness to 0, it helps quite a bit, but I still see little bit of these cross hatches and sometime little bit blurry image. I am using Auto Motion custom setting of 10/0. Its difficult to take any picture. I may have to live like this or switch to a HD DVR with an HDMI output.

I just noticed a funny thing... I have a Dish Network DVR that says 625 on it, though it does have S-Video in addition to the composite and coax you mentioned. I'm currently using the coax output since my TV doesn't have S-Video and I'm having a different issue on the coax TV input. The issue is that when displaying the program guide (for example), there transparent outlines to the right of actual outlines of the items in the program guide. Sharpness is at 0 and edge enhancement is off in movie mode. I don't have this issue on any other input/source, though I haven't tried using composite for the DVR to see if it eliminates the problem.
post #220 of 328
I got some good results with my new LN32B650. I am pretty satisfied with the picture.

post #221 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

I got some good results with my new LN32B650. I am pretty satisfied with the picture.


I also have a 32" B650 with the AA01 panel and am wondering if you could post the primary and secondary color dE's for the auto color space with color/tint set via blue-only mode. I'm curious as to how accurate the color is on this TV but my meter (i1 display LT) is not reliable for color readings.
post #222 of 328
Apologies for cross-posting, but not sure same folks read both threads.

Question: Has anyone found a good way to have signals that are input via the coax (TV) connection fit the screen? While the ones that happen to be truly HD seem to be good at 16:9, many of the other digital signals do not fit well at any aspect choice, with zoom 1 coming closest, but clipping the top and bottom by a bit. What would be best would be something that just zoomed the picture at its native proportions until it filled the screen either from top to bottom or side to side, with black bars filling the other axis, but I have not found any control that does that.
The set is an 55b640 with 1013 firmware.

hoping the local experts have something...

thanks
post #223 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I also have a 32" B650 with the AA01 panel and am wondering if you could post the primary and secondary color dE's for the auto color space with color/tint set via blue-only mode. I'm curious as to how accurate the color is on this TV but my meter (i1 display LT) is not reliable for color readings.

It will be a while before I get the meter back out...I'll post here when I have the chance.
post #224 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam s View Post

it will be a while before i get the meter back out...i'll post here when i have the chance.

tia
post #225 of 328
What is the latest firmware version for 55B650 ? Thanks
post #226 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpham View Post

What is the latest firmware version for 55B650 ? Thanks

Mine says 2009/11/10_001016
post #227 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Mine says 2009/11/10_001016

I think you have version 1016, I check the samsung website and only see 1012, the same version I have on my 55B650.
post #228 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpham View Post

I check the samsung website and only see 1012, the same version I have on my 55B650.

Mine didn't come from the website... the TV downloads it itself, over the Internet.
post #229 of 328
Hi all, just a quick question, are the calibrations the same if using tivo hd using hdmi 1.3a cables?

Thanks very new to this forum and just got a birthday present of ln55b650
post #230 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellen1 View Post

Hi all, just a quick question, are the calibrations the same if using tivo hd using hdmi 1.3a cables?

Thanks very new to this forum and just got a birthday present of ln55b650

The cable version shouldn't matter. However, TV programs are not reference material and so you shouldn't expect too much from any calibration. DVD and Blu-ray movies, on the other hand, will benefit greatly from calibration since they are reference material. To summarize, calibrations are done typically for a DVD or Blu-ray player source and then those settings are copied over to the input for TV programming.
post #231 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

The cable version shouldn't matter. However, TV programs are not reference material and so you shouldn't expect too much from any calibration. DVD and Blu-ray movies, on the other hand, will benefit greatly from calibration since they are reference material. To summarize, calibrations are done typically for a DVD or Blu-ray player source and then those settings are copied over to the input for TV programming.

Thank you for the info. So I will do the calibration via bluray.

Thanks again
post #232 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

SoundsGood, hate to break it but since you have a rare S panel 55"b650, you won't be able to get a pretty good calibration from other owners here with a C panel 55"b650 considering that those panels will differ in the calibration.

Calibration of a S panel used on another S panel shouldn't differ drastically from each other in optimization; and so is vice versa with a C panel. Our "C" panel calibration will be very much different to your panel.

You should try looking for settings on the similar 46"b650 s panels

I've got a LN55B650 with SQ02 panel. Anyone done a calibration with that version, or a 650, SQ02 panel in general?
post #233 of 328
Anybody?
post #234 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornnight View Post

Anybody?

The panel should not make a huge difference in calibration procedures or results. Unless you have a colorimeter and test patterns, copying someone elses settings could do you more harm than good.
post #235 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Are you sure these settings were umder STANDARD mode? Some options don't seems to match. (White Bal has no AUTO setting and FILM MODE is selectable under STANDARD, for example)

Question: I bought an ln55b640, similar to the 650. I love the crisp picture quality, but I'm trying my best to minimize the "soap opera effect" on movies. I have turned off AMP, have the sharpness at 0, Film set at Auto 1 and I still see a little "videoness" to the picture, compared to the Panasonic Plasma I just exchanged due to some defects, and the Panasonic is discontinued. Is there anything else I can do? Will calibration in a certain area help? Will change in the custom AMP setting to the judder and anti-blur settings be more effective than leaving the AMP off altogether? If I switch to satellite, vs. Time Warner Cable, will that add a dimension to the movie presentation that is currently lacking? Any response or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to adjust the set each time a movie comes on rather than compromise between all programming.

Thank you,
post #236 of 328
Hi again. I had gamma problems on my first calibration and that was because of using window patterns. Gamma got better but I had to use different settings. I can't get the colors right... they just don't shift enough to righ spot using samsung cms. Any hints or tips for the gamma and colors? Are there any funadamental errors on my chc?

My samsung settings:
mode:movie
backligh:3
contrast:88
brightness:44
sharpness:0
colour:50
black level off
dyn contrast off
gamma:-3 (was the only way to get decent gamma... any hints?)
color space:native
white balance:
r-offset 24
g-offset 25
b-offset 24
r-gain 42
g-gain 25
b-gain 50
colour tone:warm3
color space custom:
red (red 50, green 0, blue 0)
green (r15, g100, b0)
blue (r9 g4 b50)
yellow (r96 g100 b0)
cyan (r24 g42 b50)
magent (r39 g0 b68)

 

samsung_le40b655_2nd_chc.zip 0.890625k . file
post #237 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomisa View Post

Hi again. I had gamma problems on my first calibration and that was because of using window patterns. Gamma got better but I had to use different settings. I can't get the colors right... they just don't shift enough to righ spot using samsung cms. Any hints or tips for the gamma and colors? Are there any funadamental errors on my chc?


Anyway you can post your results as a PDF or IMG file? Can't look at chc on most of my computers.
post #238 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Your gamma is very non-linear and if the LE40B650 is anything like my LN32B650, I'd say your meter needs replacement. Your grayscale could be better from 20% to 100%. As for your primaries and secondaries, you could certainly get them closer to the xy targets and you definitely should check the delta luma values under each primary and secondary on the "Measures" tab and reduce the error to zero or as close to zero as you can. It will actually show the "=" symbol if you get the luma error to zero. Use 75% color patterns with 75% white to do your primaries and secondaries.

Last of all, why are you using Warm3? Warm2 is usually closest to D65 and sometimes Warm1 is. Try Warm2 or Warm1 and see if your gamma is still non-linear.

My settings from my last user menu calibration

Take a look at my last results of calibrating in the user menu. The .chc file is below. Maybe it could help you identify the source of your gamma issue and show what the grayscale potential is for this set (under 2 dE's from 20% to 100%). I didn't use the meter to set color, just blue-only mode with auto color space for color/tint.

Yeah I'm starting to think also that my meter is way off because I can't get decent linear gamma. Warm3 was closest to 6500k when I measured it. I will try to calibrate my pc picture on hdmi and let's see if gamma is also non linear. If it is then I need better and new meter. Thanks for the help.
post #239 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomisa View Post

Yeah I'm starting to think also that my meter is way off because I can't get decent linear gamma. Warm3 was closest to 6500k when I measured it. I will try to calibrate my pc picture on hdmi and let's see if gamma is also non linear. If it is then I need better and new meter. Thanks for the help.

What input and source did you use for the posted .chc file? Was it also HDMI?
post #240 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomisa View Post

colour tone:warm3
color space custom:
red (red 50, green 0, blue 0)
green (r15, g100, b0)
blue (r9 g4 b50)
yellow (r96 g100 b0)
cyan (r24 g42 b50)
magent (r39 g0 b68)

The YELLOW has Green at 100%? Pretty high.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung LNxxB650 Calibration/Settings Thread